***Community Shield: City v Arsenal***

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

***Community Shield: City v Arsenal***

Postby Beefymcfc » Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:25 pm

Might as well start the thread and as we've not got a preview here's the one from the Beeb.

FA COMMUNITY SHIELD

Time and Date: 1500 hrs Sun 9 Aug
Referee: Michael Oliver (Jon Moss (4th), Stuart Burt (Lino), Darren England(Lino)
Broadcaster: BT Sport

TEAM NEWS

Frank Lampard will not make his Manchester City debut this weekend.

None of the City players who arrived back from their post-World Cup holidays this week will feature, either, while striker Alvaro Negredo remains sidelined by a foot injury.

Arsenal striker Olivier Giroud could miss out after looking short of match fitness in a friendly loss to Monaco. Summer signings Calum Chambers, Mathieu Debuchy and Alexis Sanchez may play, but David Ospina has a thigh problem.

MATCH PREVIEW

Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini defended the signing of Lampard after Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger questioned the reasons behind his move.
Former Chelsea midfielder Lampard moved to Etihad Stadium on loan from affiliate club New York City, which Wenger suggested was designed to bypass Uefa's financial fair play regulations.

Ahead of Sunday's meeting in the Community Shield at Wembley, Pellegrini said: "As managers, we have enough problems with our own teams to be talking about other teams.

"The only thing I can say is that we have important restrictions about the amount of money we can spend, and Frank Lampard was a free player - we didn't spend any money in bringing him from New York City to Manchester City.

"He is a competitive player, he will be important for our team and we didn't spend any money on him, so the rules of financial fair play don't have any relation with Lampard."

Pellegrini also defended Lampard's move to another Premier League side.

"I don't understand the reaction of Chelsea fans who say he is a traitor," the Chilean said.

"The problem was not that Frank Lampard did not want to sign another contract with Chelsea. Chelsea didn't want him any more."

By their own standards, Premier League champions City have had a quiet summer in the transfer market.

New signing Bacary Sagna will sit out this weekend's match after his involvement in the knockout stages of the World Cup with France, meaning only

Fernando and Willy Caballero are in line to see their first competitive action for the club this weekend.

Wenger believes his FA Cup-winning side are no longer poor relations to the likes of City.

In recent years, City have lured some of Arsenal's star names - such as Samir Nasri, Emmanuel Adebayor and, most recently, Sagna - away from the Emirates.

However, the Gunners have more than £50m of fresh talent in their squad after a busy summer in the transfer market, most notably with the capture of Alexis Sanchez for a fee in the region of £35m from Barcelona. Sanchez's arrival, coupled with the club record signing of Mesut Ozil a year ago, has convinced Wenger that Arsenal are now on a level playing field with Sunday's opponents.

"We are less vulnerable now, that is for sure," Wenger said. "In the last two years we bought Ozil and Sanchez - five years ago we would have lost Ozil and Sanchez.

"For years we have lost top players without the ability to replace them because of financial management.

"We have more money available to buy today than we had five years ago. We can compete better."

Arsenal begin their Premier League campaign at home to Crystal Palace on 16 August but midfielder Aaron Ramsey said the Gunners will treat the Community Shield with the utmost respect.

The 23-year-old Wales international said: "We are going to approach it as if we were approaching the first game of the Premier League. It's a big game for us and we are going to treat it like that."

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

Manchester City have lost only one of their last eight games against Arsenal in all competitions (W4, D3).

There have been six red cards in the last eight league matches between these sides, with City receiving four and Arsenal two.

Arsenal

The Gunners last contested a Community Shield at Wembley in 1999, beating Manchester United 2-1.

The last time they took part in the season's traditional curtain-raiser was in 2005, when they lost 2-1 to Chelsea at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff. Their most recent win in this fixture was against Manchester United in 2004.

Of the 41 league goals Arsenal conceded in 2013-14, 17 (41%) came in three matches; defeats at Manchester City (6-3), Liverpool (5-1) and Chelsea (6-0).

Arsenal have lost four of their last six competitive matches at Wembley (W1, D1).

Aaron Ramsey scored 16 goals in all competitions in 2013-14, compared to just 11 in his first five seasons with the club.

Manchester City

City have won the Community Shield or Charity Shield on four occasions, but never at Wembley.

They won this fixture in 2012, beating Chelsea 3-2 in a game staged at Villa Park.

They won their final five games of the 2013-14 season, scoring 14 goals and conceding just three.
Last edited by MaineRoadMemories on Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to the matchday thread forum
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Re: ***Community Shield: City v Arsenal***

Postby halnone » Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:40 pm

hope we can put more than 6 past those twats this time. We'd never hear the end of it from Whinger
halnone
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby CTID Hants » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:11 pm

Will this be in the new match day section tomorrow or do the mods move it after the game?

I only ask as many will (like me) forget we have that section now LOL.

As for the game itself, fairly confident of a result and hope we remain injury free.
Born A Blue

CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Postby Tony P » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:41 pm

Any ideas for the lineup?
JH
GC VK MN AK
YT F
SJ DS SN
ED
???
Tony P
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Saul Goodman » Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:41 pm

Tony P wrote:Any ideas for the lineup?
JH
GC VK MN AK
YT F
SJ DS SN
ED
???

Hah. VK def wont play.

Itll be prob close to your prediction but prob Boyata instead of Vinnie
Saul Goodman
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

My favourite player is: Bernardo Silva

Postby Beefymcfc » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:14 pm

CTID Hants wrote:Will this be in the new match day section tomorrow or do the mods move it after the game?

As for the game itself, fairly confident of a result and hope we remain injury free.

Say again, new Matchday section?
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Beefymcfc » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:45 pm

With all the diatribe about our back 4 (cheers Ted) does anybody actually see us winning this game?

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby sheblue » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:49 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:With all the diatribe about our back 4 (cheers Ted) does anybody actually see us winning this game?

Yes if course boyata and nasti are world class...........
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:06 pm

The last three Champions from Manchester who won the Shield went on to lose the League.... so some comfort if we don't win.
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby phips » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:10 pm

btw, is the "Fixtures" page of this site gonna be fixed?
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby blues2win » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:10 pm

Mail claim Pellegrini is going to start with Willy tomorrow. Not sure how they could have got that story.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby ashton287 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:52 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:With all the diatribe about our back 4 (cheers Ted) does anybody actually see us winning this game?

I'm expecting to get beat but what else am I gonna do on a Sunday??? Fuck all, so fuck it.

Be nice if we win though. Reckon there will be a few goals in it.
[center]Image[/center]
ashton287
De Jong's Tackle
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

My favourite player is: De jong

Postby CTID Hants » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:49 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:
CTID Hants wrote:Will this be in the new match day section tomorrow or do the mods move it after the game?

Say again, new Matchday section?

Potentially my bad, I've been used using the 'app', just getting used to this browser (again) m'larky :-)
Born A Blue

CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Postby john@staustell » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:43 am

If we win it's another trophy.

If we lose it's a meaningless friendly.

I'm not optimistic either with Dedryck playing - sorry Dedders but that's the way it is!
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Nigels Tackle » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:08 am

fucking bucketing down in laaaandan right now. going to make for interesting conditions if it continues like this...
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Wonderwall » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:40 am

M6 and M1 are like lakes. I wish this fuclin coach had an outboard motor.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Wonderwall » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:36 am

Moved this here to keep it updated. Will move it to the match threads after the game
Wonderwall

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:49 am

What's the weather going to be like at KO, has that hurricane hit you yet?

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:54 am

I fear for our defence vs their attack. But you never know.

The last time Dedryk played v Arsenal, needlessly & ridiculously thrown to the lions by Mancini, he gave away a pen & got sent off early doors & has never been the same player since (nice work Bobby). He went from being our top defensive prospect & future partner for VK, to a mistake ridden, nervous wreck & basically hasn't played a solid 90 mins for anyone since that day.

He's taken a lot of unfair, Lescott style, shit pre season, but imo he's looked better than the other cbs & has produced some moments of really good defending (albeit amongst some crappy bits too) the biggest faults being organisation & position rather than ability & that applies to the whole back 4 (especially Kolarov) not just Boyata.

Dedryk used to have a big future & that future never came. A real talent gone to waste.

Wouldn't it be apt, if he played a blinder today, vs the team that seemed to have pretty much ended his career at City ?
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Wonderwall » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:04 am

Beefymcfc wrote:What's the weather going to be like at KO, has that hurricane hit you yet?

About 30 mins from wwembley now and its still very wet but its looking brighter.

Also. Not arsed as on my 5th can and mini wonderwall has been asleep the whole journey. He will wake up to pissed up pops ha ha.
Wonderwall

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum