Anyone actually enjoy the game on Saturday?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Anyone actually enjoy the game on Saturday?

Postby MaineRoadMemories » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:42 pm

It was the first home game of the season. I'd always enjoy it no matter what the score. Would of been great to have converted half of our chances but we won, lots of work to be done on the training pitch but you can see from the highlights reel that Ireland and Adebayor are already looking sharp on the early throughball tactic.

Football, 3PM, Saturday - can't beat it :-)
MaineRoadMemories
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: THE CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!
My favourite player is: VINCENT KOMPANY

Postby Colin the King » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:45 pm

I thought we played exceptionally well in the first half- SWP was outstanding, as was Adebayor and the defensive areas were quite solid. Second half the players looked tired and lacking in concentration towards the end but it's a win and three points- three clean sheets from three games played so far. That'll do for me.
Colin the King
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Vincent Kompany

Postby john68 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:56 pm

So much sour grapes Piccs mate....My Jesus boots were indeed High Tech but certainly NOT Hi Tech...air conditioned, interior sprung durch technik...incorporating slick soles for cornering and an ABS braking system.
Certainly not the 2nd hand canvas and rubber of your Blackpool pier kiosk, gym pumps. Did I detect an Ethel Austin Designer label on the sole?
...and as for those FLOWERED shorts...defo a B&Q own brand, ready pasted colouroll material, as seen decorating all the better class Honley Kebab houses. How much a roll were they? They would have matched your Power Rangers jacket perfectly.

I enjoyed that...as much as the match.....huh...Bloody Yorkshire tree dweller, coming over here into civilisation and gobbing off about his "Caveman Chic"......your sooooooooooooo 1960s....:-)
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby ant london » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:58 pm

I love the fact that we are a proper footballing side

Adebayor said when he signed that it was important to him to join a team that plays football.....and we really do play the game as it should be. To feet most of the time. Lovely it is
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby sandman » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:36 pm

I cant remember ever seeing City pass the ball as well as they did on saturday (something I had a big moan about a few weeks back) if they hadnt have sat back and defended in the second half and allowed Wolves to play then I am sure we'd have seen a scoreline to match the quality.
sandman

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:38 pm

Sandman, Ant. You are absolutely right. The way we are trying to play the game is a beautiful thing.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby CITYSTEVEDON » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:55 pm

always love watching city, a lot better if we win, but sometimes a draw sometimes is ok
CITYSTEVEDON
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: who ever plays for city

Postby DoomMerchant » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:42 pm

ant london wrote:
Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:Perhaps we should all be wearing jesus boots!

Nike Air Nazareth?

that;s not really your hairy foot is it Ant?

btw...how many league matches in a row can Dunnie have a pretty obv. handlball not given? 2 on the trot. what can the record be? Not to slam Dunnie out and out, but it's just a statement of fact.

in terms of enjoyment...i was creaming my jeans first half, shitting my pants the last 30. You'd have to admit tho, with all the spend, we have truly transformed ourselves into an attacking world-class looking side. Our speed in transition is quite frightening tbh. the counterattacking we can do, starting with Given many times, is just amazing.

every match will be a dogfight and i like that we are willing to treat it like a bullfight and just stick to our game. roll on thursday and saturday.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby bluelingy » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:45 pm

Loved it, was good to be back at the COMS for a proper game!! although the last 15 min was just like the good old days, backs to the wall, finger nails down to the elbows... typical city ;-)
Q. Which is your favourite goal? A. It has to be the second goal I scored during the last-ever Maine Road derby. I heard the fans singing a new song: "Who let the Goat out?" and I thought, "I'm having that one!" Eyal [Berkovic] placed a perfectly weighted pass into my stride. I held off two defenders and the ball bounced in front of me, allowing me to make a gentle half-volley over Barthez. It was my 100th goal for Man City and particularly satisfying to score against Man Utd.
bluelingy
Robinho's Step Over

Postby One cap Whitey » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:03 pm

I enjoyed it but I was a bit worried in the 2nd half. They didn't create many chances but they had a lot of the ball. We do seem to invite teams on to us a lot as a tactic so we can hit them on the break, but I don't think we had enough control of the game so I doubt that was part of the plan. I put that down to City being a bit tired on the day though.

There's no doubt we should've won more comfortably on chances created, one more goal and I reckon everyone would've been saying it was fantastic.
One cap Whitey
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:36 pm

Just finished watching it (I was kn a wedding in saturday) and I have to say I throughoutly enjoyed the game despite poor finishing on occasion and some defensive lapses by the usual suspects. We managed to play some quality football and I felt Ade, Robinho and SWP were on fire going forward.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Fish111 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:17 pm

I loved the game on Saturday, no complaints whatsoever. This is a team that is 'gelling' and will get even better with time. Loved the passing and the touches to each other especially upfront which indicates to me that this set of players will be playing great stuff before too long. OK we got pinned back a little in the second half but i was never worried really. Just a couple of years ago i would have been biting my nails and would have fully expected Wolves to have equalised but with Toure at the back, and the way the whole team seems to be defending together, i was confident of a positive result.
Would much prefer to see Zabaleta playing instead of Richards though (my only gripe).
Fish111

Supporter of: The Citizens
My favourite player is: Bell & Silva

Postby lythamblue » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:46 pm

I did .... and I didn't.

Once it started i was nervous until we went one up ..... then was nervous that we needed another ..... and spent the last 20 mins watching the clock shitting myself and hoping it would all end as fast as possible.

I don't know why I go really, because I always feel like that unless we are about 3-0 up with about 15 mins to go.

Maybe the last 30 odd years have just conditioned me to feel like that. Watching City has been like rubber necking a car crash on the motorway. You know you should just ignore it and keep on going .... but you can't resist slowing down and then stopping to have a look.

Maybe in a few years time, when we actually believe we have a great side, we will have the confidence in them that they can fight themselves out of any given situation and actually enjoy watching games without that horribel feeling in your stomach.
Relax ... It's only a message board in hyperspace!!
lythamblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:37 am

DOn't know if it was mentioned anywhere, but did anyone else notice Given's distinct lack of kicking? It reminded me of when Sven 1st joined and was getting them to build from the back, really pleasing to see, especially since Toure looks a class above with the ball at his feet compared to other CB's we've had.
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby branny » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:49 am

"First half very very good, 2nd half not so good" as SGE used to say.
Balotelli......that's a brilliant finish.
branny
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: God's own club
My favourite player is: Tueart

Postby 10.Goater_Legend » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:29 am

nickson71 wrote:
IanBishopsHaircut wrote:I was glad we won...but walked out of the ground strangely unsatisfied...considering we got 3 points it unsettled me...and it seems i'm not the only one...no idea why...perhaps we are still of the mentality that 1 goal is never enough at City...fuck...I remember being 3 nil up and still biting my nails...suppose my mentality as well as others will need to change and might count for the lack of atmosphere in the ground on Saturday too...I think everyone was genuinely nervous

That near enough sums up the way I felt

And me.
10.Goater_Legend
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Trautmann » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:46 am

My emotions ran the full gamut...

When I saw the line up--I thought, my God, this is overwhelming firepower, and It is sheer joy to see a line up of this calibre in the City colours. And the first half was a visual feast of dominant, silky football--no laying back after the goal was scored.

Second half was more anxiety producing. But the one big difference from the past was that I had confidence the defence would hold, and not concede a late soft goal. And our counter attack capability was fearsome--it should have been all over much earlier.

Best of all, on reflection, the team showed resilience whenever we were put on the back foot.

"Typical City" is getting laid to rest. I'm starting to hope we bag a trophy this year.
Trautmann
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Superman's Underpants

Postby Steve » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:01 am

I wish I went to Birmingham & Stoke instead
There's only one Antoine!
Steve
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: The Rays
My favourite player is: Evan Longoria

Postby Grob » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:04 pm

Pretty Boy Lee wrote:DOn't know if it was mentioned anywhere, but did anyone else notice Given's distinct lack of kicking? It reminded me of when Sven 1st joined and was getting them to build from the back, really pleasing to see, especially since Toure looks a class above with the ball at his feet compared to other CB's we've had.

Good point. Its a bit different than that long ball football Niall said we'd be playing once we got some target men into the club. Im happy he was wrong on that one.
Grob
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum