The Worldwide Commercial Enterprise Continues - 10 years on

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: The Worldwide Commercial Enterprise Continues

Postby phips » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:44 am

Ferran Soriano leading Man City to global success following Disney model

On a freezing February night in London in 2006, Samuel Eto'o's late header secured a 2-1 win for Barcelona in their Champions League clash with Chelsea. A 1-1 draw two weeks later at the Camp Nou saw them safely into the quarterfinals and they would go on to win the trophy for just the second time in their history.

It was the beginning of a golden era for the club -- they won the Champions League three more times in the decade since, alongside plenty of other silverware -- and watching in the stands at Stamford Bridge was Ferran Soriano.

The Barcelona native had been elected to the board three years earlier when the club were suffering a four-year trophy drought and were in debt thanks, in large part, to some huge player salaries taking up much of their finances.

As Barcelona vice-president, Soriano helped transform the club's fortunes off the pitch as they followed his plan to grow them into one of football's biggest global brands.

Hours before that win over Chelsea, seven miles away from Stamford Bridge at University of London's Birkbeck College, Soriano had spelled out his vision in a lecture to students, along with journalists from The Times, Financial Times and The Guardian.

Professor Simon Chadwick (now Professor of Sports Enterprise at the University of Salford) organised that lecture and was struck by how different Soriano's ideas were to other more conventional financial models in the football industry.

"For us as the University it was a big thing. It's not often you get the finance director of Barcelona coming to talk to your students. Barca brought an entourage and it was all managed by a global PR consultancy," Prof. Chadwick told ESPN FC. "The way he came across was a very normal, down-to-earth, but nonetheless thoughtful and intelligent, man."

Soriano resigned from the club in 2008 after a disagreement with former president Joan Laporta, and then became CEO of Manchester City in 2012. Today he surrounds himself with much of the same backroom team that transformed the Spanish giants -- not least manager Pep Guardiola, director of football Txiki Begiristain and a host of coaching and other staff.

And Chadwick believes much of Soriano's business philosophy at City is unchanged from 10 years ago.

"At that point, he'd already begun to transplant his business acumen into running a football club," he said. "I'll stop short of saying he was a businessman. The business seems to be about generating revenue but Ferran was more entrepreneurial, more creative. He was taking ideas from business to think of football in a different way.

"He talked about the history of the club being a strategic asset. You don't throw it out of the window, you think about how you can work with that.

"Ten years ago people were beginning to express concern about a headlong dash into commercial opportunities -- he came across as someone who approached it in a different way -- much more strategic, longer-term and creative thinking."

At the time, Barcelona didn't have a shirt sponsor and tried to express the club's values when they signed a deal with international children's charity UNICEF.

"They were trying to position their brand as more cerebral," Chadwick adds. "Ferran was very much at the forefront of that. It was in stark contrast to the Glazers at Manchester United, who are more likely to say: 'This is our club, we do what we do.' But the Barca approach was much more open and engaging. So they were actively seeking to engage with audiences."

Soriano also spoke about building a bond between the club, fans and the local community. The famed La Masia academy and Mini Estadi were already in place in Barcelona before Soriano arrived, but they can be seen as the template for City's investment of over £200 million in their new Etihad Campus, next to the Etihad Stadium. (Their old Carrington training ground having been on the outskirts of the city.)

The local area has benefitted hugely from the investment but it hasn't all gone swimmingly -- there has been a backlash from some supporters over the increase in ticket prices, which have risen steadily as the team has delivered success on the pitch. But Soriano's biggest vision was to make the whole experience more about entertainment than just football and to take the brand truly global.

Chadwick said Soriano had spoken about the franchise model of the Walt Disney Corporation and how customers had a level of expectation whenever they experienced a Disney movie, store or theme park.

The game has grown massively with the rise of social media where football highlights are as accessible as downloading music or any other brand of entertainment. But franchising is a unique concept that has finally becoming a reality 10 years on with the City Football Group, who now have clubs in New York, Melbourne and Yokohama as well as Manchester.

"The most prominent thing that stood out was that he didn't talk about football as such, he talked about entertainment," Chadwick adds. "At that point, his view was that football was part of the entertainment industry. He had the vision that sports and entertainment would be blurred.

"In particular he spoke about Walt Disney. What he particularly seemed to like about Disney was they were global. And in Disney the lines are blurred. Is it about entertainment? Retailing? Is it about theme parks? My sense is this is how he saw football. It's not just a football stadium. Now you have bands playing outside the Etihad for example.

"The other thing was the whole notion of franchising. I think Manchester City, New York City, Yokohama, Melbourne City, this is all part of this. Ten years ago this was an emerging view and what we're seeing now is the crystallisation of all those thoughts coming out in terms of Manchester City's franchise plan. There were football investors around the world 10 years ago but what differentiates from that now is that you have a parent group, which is the City Football Group.

"There's brand consistency because they're all City and they all play in light blue and conceivably one day they're all going to have the same shirt sponsor."

Potentially all these groups could become even closer in their branding and it's important that they are competing at the top of their game, but Soriano's groundwork has already been laid.

"In the three-and-a-half years that I've been here, I've seen lots of great things," he told around 400 supporters in March during the Supporters Club Annual Dinner. "One of the most important is I've seen the birth of a family. We have a club in New York, we have a team in Melbourne, we have another sister team in Yokohama in Japan.

"I was in New York last week for the first game of the season, and there was somebody from Manchester with me that at some point in time said, 'why are we creating a team in New York?' And I can guarantee all of you, if you had been with me, in New York last Sunday, with thousands of people dressed in sky blue rooting for the team, New York City, you would have felt something very special.

"So I said to my colleague who asked me why are we doing this, I said 'okay, think about it, how would you feel if you were walking around a stadium in New York seeing 30,000 people dressed in red supporting New York United?' What we are doing is great and it helps Manchester City, and it takes Manchester City to the 21 Century. It takes us to be global why we are still and always will be local and rooted in Manchester."

It is obvious that City's plans of global domination are being handled by a man who has a clear vision of what he can achieve.

http://www.espnfc.us/club/manchester-city/382/blog/post/2993475/ferran-soriano-leading-man-city-to-global-success-following-disney-model
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:39 pm

An interesting read; I particularly liked the (brief) reference to the Glazers.

Thanks for posting that Phips. :)
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby nottsblue » Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:13 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:An interesting read; I particularly liked the (brief) reference to the Glazers.

Thanks for posting that Phips. :)

+1
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:45 pm

Phips got 2 likes.

Deserves to go to the legends thread.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Hazy2 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:22 pm

If City had a robot or two in the ground. And one fired a RPG at the scum fans would we get a fine.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby johnny crossan » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:40 am

does it mention Spanair?
This is the business end though

johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby dazby » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:39 am

I reckon that will have changed now that fake Rinaldo signed his new deal.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:09 pm

Crystal Palace at 20????
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby john@staustell » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:47 pm

TECNO tablet and handset partner.

https://www.mancity.com/news/club-news/ ... 0501021443

TECNO Mobile is the new Official Tablet and Handset Partner of Manchester City.

The Club launched its newest global partnership at the City Football Academy on Wednesday 30 November, which signalled the start of a multi-year agreement with the premium mobile brand.

TECNO, part of Transsion Holdings, join City’s ever increasing portfolio of partners and received a welcome message from a number of Blues' stars, including Club Captain Vincent Kompany, Kevin de Bruyne, Fabian Delph and Raheem Sterling.

Already established as Africa’s leading mobile phone brand, TECNO also enjoy a presence in 40 emerging markets, where City’s fan base continues to grow and this latest deal will see the two combine on marketing and advertising campaigns around the world.

“We are delighted to welcome TECNO Mobile to Manchester City’s growing repertoire of global partners,” said City Football Group’s Chief Commercial Officer, Tom Glick.

“Its global focus coupled with a commitment to each of its local markets reflects our ethos and we look forward to working with them to connect with Manchester City’s global fan base.”

With a history of business relationships in elite sport, the fast-growing international brand is delighted to embark on a partnership with City, a club who they feel shares similar values.

“We are honoured to be partnering with such a successful and well known club as Manchester City" added TECNO Mobile General Manager, Stephen Ha.

“Providing our consumers with an unparalleled mobile experience is a top priority for TECNO Mobile and we see many similarities with Manchester City when we look at their commitment to delivering a premium matchday and digital experience for their fans.”
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby johnny crossan » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:55 pm

Just read in the Telegraph comments that we are a giant currency laundromat for a despotic kleptocracy. That's nice.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby john@staustell » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:58 pm

johnny crossan wrote:Just read in the Telegraph comments that we are a giant currency laundromat for a despotic kleptocracy. That's nice.

That would never be in the Mirror for sure
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby john@staustell » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:19 am

Better than yer average 'condoms in China' deal. Insurance in America (etc.)

https://www.mancity.com/news/club-news/ ... 5791280549

Manchester City is delighted to announce that we have agreed a deal which sees Hyperion become the Club’s official partner.

The world’s largest employee-owned insurance group has also joined forces with New York City FC and now holds regional partner status with both City Football Group clubs.
Operating across Europe, Asia, the Middle East, Latin America, Australia and New Zealand and in the USA, Hyperion is unveiled as the Official Regional Partner of Manchester City in the UK and the United Arab Emirates.
Damian Willoughby, senior vice-president for partnerships at City Football Group, is pleased to have Hyperion on board.
“City Football Group and Hyperion both have unique growth and success stories that have been built on a spirit of striving for excellence, an unwavering focus on the needs of our supporters and clients, and a commitment to creating a globally connected, but locally relevant, group structure” he said.
“Having been a client of Hyperion’s for a number of years we have been very impressed by their unique approach to delivering first-class service to their clients and we look forward to working with them throughout our partnership.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Saul Goodman » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:57 pm

Nice to see City beating out United (and everyone else) for the most viewers in the US this season

Saul Goodman
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

My favourite player is: Bernardo Silva

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:06 pm

Saul Goodman wrote:Nice to see City beating out United (and everyone else) for the most viewers in the US this season

The biggest draw yet only fifth most shown.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:17 pm

West ham? They are high considering
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Saul Goodman » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:53 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
Saul Goodman wrote:Nice to see City beating out United (and everyone else) for the most viewers in the US this season

The biggest draw yet only fifth most shown.

I dont know what to think considering ive watched every City league match on NBC this season. Im not sure what happened to the other 5 on this list. Every league match from every club is on. Maybe this means only NBC and NBCSN, not the extra NBC channels
Saul Goodman
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

My favourite player is: Bernardo Silva

Postby Slim » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:16 am

Wonderwall wrote:West ham? They are high considering

You have to consider who their opponents would have been.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby phips » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:36 am

Maybe due to American ownership and Payet? Poyet was so hyped during the Euros, which even casual football fans here would've watched; so maybe they fell prey to that hype and followed his club team? Or maybe Green Street Hooligans' influence?
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby sheblue » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:01 am

Slim wrote:

You have to consider who their opponents would have been.

Would that not apply to all other teams aswell...
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:45 pm

Everyone likes to watch a carcrash from a safe distance.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum