John Stones

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

John Stones

Postby PrezIke » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:20 pm

His performances of late seem to have fallen off the radar. I thought he was our best defender against Monaco, and did well again yesterday against Liverpool.

His ability with the ball is also not just a gimmick either. It's helped us in a few situations and he seems to be using the skill more responsibly and effectively than we had seen during his drop in form after a hot start to the season.

I believe this will turn out to be a similar signing to Sterling in that it will show it's value over time.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Re: John Stones

Postby zabbadabbado » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:58 pm

Starting to look like the player we thought we were buying. Reminds me of Dave Watson.
zabbadabbado
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: man city
My favourite player is: KDB

Postby sheblue » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:24 pm

Have lost my temper with him at times for some stupid errors. But I think he will get there.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby nottsblue » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:30 pm

Be interesting to see a combo of him and Bonucci.
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Wooders » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:47 pm

needs a strong centreback beside him, for now... generally very happy with the progress he has made - has a fuckload of on the job learning to do yet but will be a city great
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby freshie » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:46 pm

Definitely think he is getting better with each game and will go on to be a great player for us
freshie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby london blue 2 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:09 pm

He has bigger balls than all of you...
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Postby dazby » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:17 am

He's becoming the Rolls Royce we thought he would be.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Tokyo Blue » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:27 am

I thought he was a very good player before we signed him. He is improving. I'm very pleased with his contribution this season. I'd like to see him have a regular partner though.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Dameerto » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:57 am

Tokyo Blue wrote:I thought he was a very good player before we signed him. He is improving. I'm very pleased with his contribution this season. I'd like to see him have a regular partner though.

We really need a settled back four. If we get new fullbacks and a new partner for Stones it could be rocky for a while though.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby aaron bond » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:25 pm

My view is that he was poor for Everton and spending 50m on him was ridiculous. He wasn't worth anywhere near that amount.

He's largely been crap this season. Before Sunday I thought his only good performances this season were against Huddersfield and Middlesbrough away in the cups, which seemed to be about his level. But his performance against Liverpool was the best he's played this season.

In his defence, he hasn't been in a settled back 4 all season and has had to partner with Otamendi or Kolarov, with a long past it Zab and Clichy as his full backs. That will never help his development.

I really hope I'm proved wrong and he can become the player everyone hopes, especially considering the extortionate fee we've paid. If he can build on his performance against Liverpool and we can bring in a top quality, experienced centre back to partner him, then perhaps he can succeed.
aaron bond
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Original Dub » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:37 pm

Excellent player. As tokyo said, he needs a regular partner and more importantly one that is also an excellent player. Not an average player and certainly not a fucking average left back.

John stones isn't one of our problems.
Original Dub

Postby Tokyo Blue » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:38 pm

aaron bond wrote:My view is that he was poor for Everton and spending 50m on him was ridiculous. He wasn't worth anywhere near that amount.

He's largely been crap this season. Before Sunday I thought his only good performances this season were against Huddersfield and Middlesbrough away in the cups, which seemed to be about his level. But his performance against Liverpool was the best he's played this season.

In his defence, he hasn't been in a settled back 4 all season and has had to partner with Otamendi or Kolarov, with a long past it Zab and Clichy as his full backs. That will never help his development.

I really hope I'm proved wrong and he can become the player everyone hopes, especially considering the extortionate fee we've paid. If he can build on his performance against Liverpool and we can bring in a top quality, experienced centre back to partner him, then perhaps he can succeed.

Just out of interest, mate, who is this top quality centre-back you speak of?
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:46 pm

As some have said -the guy has done incredible considering he has to play alongside some bad partners - once he has someone that understands how to play alongside him he will become one of the best defenders in world football.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:47 pm

As some have said -the guy has done incredible considering he has to play alongside some bad partners - once he has someone that understands how to play alongside him he will become one of the best defenders in world football.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Hazy2 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:21 pm

City are building for the long term, Camel gob was work in progress. City have been brave with Stones Sterling, Sane even Gundo, give it time. The best things are worth the wait.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby aaron bond » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:12 pm

Tokyo Blue wrote:
aaron bond wrote:My view is that he was poor for Everton and spending 50m on him was ridiculous. He wasn't worth anywhere near that amount.

Just out of interest, mate, who is this top quality centre-back you speak of?

My preference would be Alderweireld. Only just turned 28 years old and has become a big player for Spurs. I like Vertonghen also but he turns 30 soon and I know Pep wants to bring in younger players (although good defenders can often play well into their 30s).

In the past Spurs have shown their willingness to sell their best players - Carrick, Berbatov, Bale. I think we're a more attractive offer for a player longer term than Spurs even if we are below them currently so would think a good bid could persuade them to sell.

I like Van Dijk at Southampton also. Think he would have been a better purchase last summer than Stones. But Alderweireld probably has the age and experience that Stones would need in a partner. Although realistically we need to buy 2 centre backs as Otamendi and Kolarov are not good enough and Kompany has virtually retired.

The full backs need addressing too though. It's no good for a centre back to have poor full backs beside him. Bertrand would be my choice for left back. His career took a while to get going but I think he's turned into an excellent player at Southampton and is more than capable of playing at a higher level.
aaron bond

Postby PrezIke » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:19 pm

He cost 44m, just for the sake of accuracy.

I also think your assessment is a bit harsh, but I would not suggest he has been consistently good either. He started off the season great, then was inconsistent -- albeit poor at times -- but often when he played with Otamendi who left him exposed at times, hence why you hear of the value of him partnered with someone who can organise the defence and/or is a leader. I think our fullbacks also have left him exposed at times, so improving other aspects of the defence should help his development.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby PeterParker » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:27 pm

Squad Rotation is what ruins him.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby aaron bond » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:48 am

PrezIke wrote:

He cost 44m, just for the sake of accuracy.

I also think your assessment is a bit harsh, but I would not suggest he has been consistently good either. He started off the season great, then was inconsistent -- albeit poor at times -- but often when he played with Otamendi who left him exposed at times, hence why you hear of the value of him partnered with someone who can organise the defence and/or is a leader. I think our fullbacks also have left him exposed at times, so improving other aspects of the defence should help his development.

Well if we're being really picky on the price then you're not quite correct either :)

But anyway, going back to the main point. I agree that being surrounded by our current defence will not help his development at all.

I'm not as confident as others on here that Stones will turn into the excellent defender we need but I hope I'm wrong. It has to be a priority this summer for Pep to resolve the defensive problems (with limited Txiki influence preferably!). Only then will we find out if Stones has what it takes.
aaron bond

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum