Bert Trautmann THE MOVIE

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Bert Trautmann THE MOVIE

Postby CTID Hants » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:08 pm

Having watched the documentary quite a few times i will look forward to seeing this eventually............

Feature film to tell the famous story of legendary Manchester City goalie Bert Trautmann

he famous story of a former Nazi paratrooper who became a legendary Manchester City goalkeeper will be retold on the big screen as a feature film.

Bert Trautmann will be forever remembered by City supporters for bravely playing for 17 minutes during the 1956 FA Cup Final victory over Birmingham City with a broken neck.

Trautmann was also the first German to play in an FA Cup final at Wembley.

Pre-production of ‘Trautmann’ the film is expected to start later this year, according to reports, with Munich-based film production company Lieblingsfilm and London-based Pistachio Pictures behind the project.

In a post on its website, Pistachio Pictures said Trautmann was the story of a ‘Nazi villain’ who rose to become a ‘British hero’.

A synopsis of the film read: “The story of the legendary German-born goalkeeper Bernd ‘Bert’ Trautmann who was goalkeeper for Manchester City from 1949 to 1964.

“A man whose love for football, for England and for the love of his life, Margaret saw him rise from Nazi ‘villain’ to British hero. Trautmann won over even his harshest critics by playing on with a broken neck in the 1956 FA Cup Final, ensuring victory for his team.”

It’s understood that Trautmann and other members of his family met with the film’s producers to discuss the idea before his death in 2013.

German actor David Kross, who starred alongside Kate Winslet in Stephen Daldry’s Oscar-nominated drama The Reader in 2008, has been cast as the prisoner of war turned goalie.

Trautmann was captured in the latter stages of the Second World War and sent to a prison camp in Lancashire. He arrived at Maine Road in 1949 amid a string of protests from the local Jewish community.

By the time he left, after playing more than 500 games for the Blues, he was regarded as one of the bravest men in football.

Full story here: http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... y-12765473
Born A Blue

CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Re: Bert Trautmann THE MOVIE

Postby johnny crossan » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:01 am

is Spielberg involved?
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:52 am

I'd watch it obviously
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Nigels Tackle » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:03 am

Pretty Boy Lee wrote:I'd watch it obviously

will be straight to dvd....
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby bobbyspater » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:13 pm

If only we had someone of his stature now - best goalkeeper I've ever seen by a mile
bobbyspater
Carlo Nash's Debut

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: James MIlner

Postby zuricity » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:11 am

who's writing the music for the musical ?
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby TomS » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:46 pm

http://www.abendzeitung-muenchen.de/inh ... 20ee6.html

Work on the film started in June in Munich , saw something in a TV advert these days- didn´t look that bad.
Thomas
Bert Trautmann Town, Germany
TomS
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: MCFC,Werder Bremen
My favourite player is: Sergio

Postby johnny crossan » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:58 pm

bobbyspater wrote:If only we had someone of his stature now - best goalkeeper I've ever seen by a mile

Nice to know someone else remembers him friend ;)
good job change tho!
Those were the days, Bert turns his back as the snow and ice is whipped into his face against Luton in a 1955 FA Cup tie
Last edited by johnny crossan on Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:03 pm

johnny crossan wrote:
bobbyspater wrote:If only we had someone of his stature now - best goalkeeper I've ever seen by a mile

Nice to know someone else remembers him friend ;)
good job change tho!

My all time footballing hero and the reason why I, as a youngster, became City daft in the first place.

An incredible 'keeper, the greatest ever and a not too unimpressive individual as well.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby johnny crossan » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:08 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:My all time footballing hero and the reason why I, as a youngster, became City daft in the first place.
An incredible 'keeper, the greatest ever and a not too unimpressive individual as well.

were you there for his testimonial MC?
Police struggle to get Manchester City goalkeeper Bert Trautmann through the swarm of fans who mobbed him after his testimonial at Maine Road, 1964. The game saw a combined City/United XI (featuring Bobby Charlton and Denis Law) against an England XI which included Tom Finney, Stanley Matthews and Jimmy Armfield, with the combined Manchester side winning 5-4. The official attendance was listed at 47,000 though it is estimated closer to 60,000 fans turned out to wave their hero off.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:27 pm

johnny crossan wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:My all time footballing hero and the reason why I, as a youngster, became City daft in the first place.

Police struggle to get Manchester City goalkeeper Bert Trautmann through the swarm of fans who mobbed him after his testimonial at Maine Road, 1964. The game saw a combined City/United XI (featuring Bobby Charlton and Denis Law) against an England XI which included Tom Finney, Stanley Matthews and Jimmy Armfield, with the combined Manchester side winning 5-4. The official attendance was listed at 47,000 though it is estimated closer to 60,000 fans turned out to wave their hero off.

Sadly no, JC. :cry: :cry:

I'd only just come out of hospital after being treated for encephalitis and my parents wouldn't let me go because I still wasn't 'right', being too weak.

My uncle and his son went although they were both Leeds fans and said it was an unbelievable evening and atmosphere and I would have gone with them, but it wasn't to be.

I'm surmising JC, you were one of the fortunate many who attended; did you get on the pitch at the end ??
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby johnny crossan » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:05 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:

I'd only just come out of hospital after being treated for encephalitis and my parents wouldn't let me go because I still wasn't 'right', being too weak.

My uncle and his son went although they were both Leeds fans and said it was an unbelievable evening and atmosphere and I would have gone with them, but it wasn't to be.

I'm surmising JC, you were one of the fortunate many who attended; did you get on the pitch at the end ??

Bad luck MC. Me too, on that night I was working doing a pop group interview. Not sure with who but I'd just landed a new job at the Salford City Reporter. I have a faltering memory, because it was an evening job, it could have been the Joystrings, or possibly the Red Admirals. I gave all the cuttings of my articles away many years go to the presenter of Rock Back the Clock on GMR. That was one Fred Fielder, known as Fred the Spread from his days as a plastering instructor at Denton Government Training Centre where I was a lowly civil servant. Anyway, I'm rambling on because I know you're musically inclined - but that's no excuse for inflicting these meanderings on you and the forum :oops:
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Beefymcfc » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:18 pm

Regardless of the thread, theirs some interesting blokes around here.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:25 pm

johnny crossan wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:

Bad luck MC. Me too, on that night I was working doing a pop group interview. Not sure with who but I'd just landed a new job at the Salford City Reporter. I have a faltering memory, because it was an evening job, it could have been the Joystrings, or possibly the Red Admirals. I gave all the cuttings of my articles away many years go to the presenter of Rock Back the Clock on GMR. That was one Fred Fielder, known as Fred the Spread from his days as a plastering instructor at Denton Government Training Centre where I was a lowly civil servant. Anyway, I'm rambling on because I know you're musically inclined - but that's no excuse for inflicting these meanderings on you and the forum :oops:

You're not rambling at all JC; it's all interesting stuff.

My uncle was interesting in that he was a genuine football fan and, although he liked Leeds (we were living in Hull in those days), he used to go to watch any number of different games and we regularly used to go to Maine Road.

He fought in Normandy in the War, in all probability not far from where Bert was captured and he always had a great respect for him, hence going to his testimonial which he always said was incredible.

What a difference from Bert's early days in English football.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Return to The Maine Football forum