EDS/Academy Games

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: EDS/Academy Games

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Wed May 03, 2017 9:42 pm

Justified logic wrote:Match scorers here: http://uk.soccerway.com/matches/2017/05 ... y/2424604/

R. Matondo credited with the third goal.

Pleased for him. Looks a good prospect
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby blues2win » Thu May 04, 2017 10:44 am

Good to see the MEN piece suggesting Manu Garcia is doing really well on loan.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Fri May 05, 2017 10:41 pm

Weird under 23 game tonight against Southampton. We fielded our usual type of side against a very experienced Soton side including a bunch of players with real first team experience and headed by Charlie Austin !

It showed too in the first half with their know how and strength blunting pretty well all we had to offer. It was a bore first half and then just before the break we gave the ball away once too often in the middle of the park and their number 11 just ran at us , went a little bit left side but shot across Grimshaw to score. Second half was similar and they went two up with a soft one as a corner just hit someone in the 6 yard box and fell to Sam McQueen who scored easily.

I felt it was going to be routine from there for Soton. 2 nil at about 70 minutes and then we scored 4 in maybe 12 minutes or so. Football can be a weird game. Dilrosun did well for the first forcing his way into the box, twisting and turning before his pass to Diallo was sidefooted home.

Then it was good play from Fernandez ending with Kongolo also side footing home. Keeper just seemed to watch it so maybe a deflection I don't know. Then a bit of a scrambled thing when the ball fell to Charlie Oliver who showed good composure striking a low shot in at the far post. So we were somehow in front and Soton were stunned and had to get going again as they had been in time wasting mode for a bit.

Then Nmecha gets the ball out on the right and as he does drives at the box knocks it past the centre half and runs into him. The ref gives a pen ( never imo) which Nmecha scores and its game over. Well not quite as their best attacking player ( can't remember his name) got a 2nd yellow so was sent off.

Very strange game. Possible the least effective game I have seen Diaz play and maybe the reminder sometimes needed just how young he still is when the talk is all about getting him into the first team. Fabulous player and he will be there but he is still learning, growing and developing.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby CTID Hants » Fri May 05, 2017 11:15 pm

I was keeping an eye on first half on the iPad which looked relatively even (like I said keeping an eye), then second half I missed their two goals as was sorting tea..

Then again glancing from on in I liked what I saw, some of the play from us was breath taking and I'd say better than watching the first team!

I'll certainly make time to watch them via FB live more often. They've matured since watching them live against Reading last August
Born A Blue

CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Fri May 05, 2017 11:23 pm

CTID Hants wrote:I was keeping an eye on first half on the iPad which looked relatively even (like I said keeping an eye), then second half I missed their two goals as was sorting tea..

Then again glancing from on in I liked what I saw, some of the play from us was breath taking and I'd say better than watching the first team!

I'll certainly make time to watch them via FB live more often. They've matured since watching them live against Reading last August

Maybe Soton tired towards the end I don't know but we were hardly in it till we scored in the 70 minute or whatever. Or at least we weren't posing much threat. Amazing how one goal can totally change a game.

If you thought that last period was breathtaking ( certainly the previous play was the opposite) then you would have enjoyed the 18's play all season. Tonight wasn't actually a patch on many of the perfomances in recent times.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Justified logic » Sat May 06, 2017 6:06 am

That result secured 2nd place in the Premier League 2 (Division 1) table, so well done to the young team!

Just noticed that Targett (21yo) and Austin (27yo) were subbed off just before we went on our scoring spree. Still on were goalie Hassen (22yo), defender Gardoş (28yo) and midfielders Pied (28yo), Reed (22yo) and McQueen (22yo).
Justified logic
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sat May 06, 2017 9:54 pm

Excellent win for the 18's this morning but why has Lee Carsley resigned as is beimng reported? Disappointing if indeed he has
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby johnny crossan » Sat May 06, 2017 9:57 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:Excellent win for the 18's this morning but why has Lee Carsley resigned as is beimng reported? Disappointing if indeed he has
Linked with the Birmingham City job recently, apparently he was half way through a 2 year contract with us.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby nottsblue » Sat May 06, 2017 10:17 pm

johnny crossan wrote:
Douglas Higginbottom wrote:Excellent win for the 18's this morning but why has Lee Carsley resigned as is beimng reported? Disappointing if indeed he has
Linked with the Birmingham City job recently, apparently he was half way through a 2 year contract with us.

Made the fall guy for the Academy ban on transfers?
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Wonderwall » Wed May 10, 2017 3:05 pm

Sancho and Foden are starters for England u17s this afternoon. England v Holland and they need 1 point to ensure they are group winners.

HT 1-0 to England and Sancho the scorer

It's live on eurosport
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Wonderwall » Wed May 10, 2017 3:31 pm

Sancho with a second from the spot after Holland have a lad sent off.

2-0
Wonderwall

Postby nottsblue » Wed May 17, 2017 9:30 pm

Sanche now had five goals in the tournament. One to watch very closely I reckon. Could make the bench this season for the first team maybe
nottsblue

Postby nottsblue » Fri May 19, 2017 6:06 pm

The final of the under 17 euros is live on Eurosport on the moment. Sancho and Foden start for England
nottsblue

Postby nottsblue » Sat May 20, 2017 2:44 pm

nottsblue wrote:The final of the under 17 euros is live on Eurosport on the moment. Sancho and Foden start for England

2-2. England lost 4-1 on penalties. Foden scored a 25 yard screamer to put England 2-1 ahead before Spain equalised in the sixth minute of injury time to send it to the penalty shoot out
nottsblue

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sat May 20, 2017 3:49 pm

nottsblue wrote:
nottsblue wrote:The final of the under 17 euros is live on Eurosport on the moment. Sancho and Foden start for England

2-2. England lost 4-1 on penalties. Foden scored a 25 yard screamer to put England 2-1 ahead before Spain equalised in the sixth minute of injury time to send it to the penalty shoot out[/quo]

Were any of our lads taking the penalties NB ??
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby johnny crossan » Sat May 20, 2017 4:01 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
nottsblue wrote:

2-2. England lost 4-1 on penalties. Foden scored a 25 yard screamer to put England 2-1 ahead before Spain equalised in the sixth minute of injury time to send it to the penalty shoot out[/quo]

Were any of our lads taking the penalties NB ??

Afraid so, Joel Latibeaudiere got a 2 pt conversion with the last one.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sat May 20, 2017 10:55 pm

As I understand it the manager, clearly a clever bloke, took off our 3 best attacking players before the end to protect the one goal lead.Thats Foden and Sancho and the other goal scorer I think. All of the 3 might have been penalty takers.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sun May 21, 2017 11:11 am

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:As I understand it the manager, clearly a clever bloke, took off our 3 best attacking players before the end to protect the one goal lead.Thats Foden and Sancho and the other goal scorer I think. All of the 3 might have been penalty takers.

You're right about the Manager Mr H.

He's obviously a person possessed of undoubted tactical acumen, as well as great strategic insight.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby blues2win » Sun May 21, 2017 7:14 pm

Be interested to hear Doug's and other's views on who if any of our youngsters have a shot at the first team squad next season. Roberts obviously. The two Garcias? The Turkish lad whose name escapes me? Too soon for Diaz? What of Maffeo? Anyone Ive missed?
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

My favourite player is: david silva

Postby Wonderwall » Sun May 21, 2017 9:14 pm

blues2win wrote:Be interested to hear Doug's and other's views on who if any of our youngsters have a shot at the first team squad next season. Roberts obviously. The two Garcias? The Turkish lad whose name escapes me? Too soon for Diaz? What of Maffeo? Anyone Ive missed?

Angelino....also zinchenko has had a decent enough season. I am looking forward to seeing how it all shapes up for next season.
Wonderwall

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum