I believe Pep is staying for at least 5 years

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

I believe Pep is staying for at least 5 years

Postby PrezIke » Sun May 28, 2017 5:08 pm

Why else would he be in for so many players since his arrival that are so young?

Sané 20
Jesus 20
Stones 22
Bernardo 22

Mendy 22
Mbappe 18

I gather one could have argued this allows us to buy players that will be worth more than what we pay to save money, but then explain the rumoured bid for Mbappe?

Yes this all helps us as get younger as we have had an ageing squad, but why do all all this and then leave as those players begin to enter their primes?
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Re: I believe Pep is staying for at least 5 years

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sun May 28, 2017 5:20 pm

Interesting thought.

On thst basis, do we know if the new player contracts are for a lengthy time as well i.e. 5 years or more ??
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby CTID Hants » Sun May 28, 2017 5:40 pm

Fairly sure I read somewhere very recently that pep was warming to the idea of committing to the for longer than his initial contract and the club are of the same mind....
Born A Blue

CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Sun May 28, 2017 5:51 pm

I hope you're right.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby london blue 2 » Sun May 28, 2017 6:25 pm

CTID Hants wrote:Fairly sure I read somewhere very recently that pep was warming to the idea of committing to the for longer than his initial contract and the club are of the same mind....

He said that himself I believe
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Postby CTID Hants » Sun May 28, 2017 6:58 pm

london blue 2 wrote:
CTID Hants wrote:Fairly sure I read somewhere very recently that pep was warming to the idea of committing to the for longer than his initial contract and the club are of the same mind....

Thanks LB2 I've consumed a few beers over the last days...

The jury was still out as recently as last week about Pep in my mind, but since Bernardo signed I'm swaying to the Pep in camp
Born A Blue

CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sun May 28, 2017 7:03 pm

CTID Hants wrote:
london blue 2 wrote:

The jury was still out as recently as last week about Pep in my mind, but since Bernardo signed I'm swaying to the Pep in camp

This is quite understandable CTID if, as you say, you've been imbibing "a few beers".
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby CTID Hants » Sun May 28, 2017 7:15 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:This is quite understandable CTID if, as you say, you've been imbibing "a few beers".

It's a bank holiday weekend straight after being on a exhibition stand in sweaty London, I needed some release in the form of my favourite 1664
Born A Blue

CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Mase » Sun May 28, 2017 7:26 pm

He's said he could stay beyond his contract but he's also said he could retire soon.

He's a bigger bullshiter than Rio.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Spurge » Sun May 28, 2017 8:32 pm

PrezIke wrote:Why else would he be in for so many players since his arrival that are so young?

Sané 20
Jesus 20
Stones 22
Bernardo 22

Mendy 22
Mbappe 18

I gather one could have argued this allows us to buy players that will be worth more than what we pay to save money, but then explain the rumoured bid for Mbappe?

Yes this all helps us as get younger as we have had an ageing squad, but why do all all this and then leave as those players begin to enter their primes?

What is interesting about the youthfulness of these and other targets is that our youth system is still not producing the quality of player required. I wonder how long it will take for us to produce players of this ilk through our academy. I think a manager who is in it for the long haul who is also supported by the club is key here.

Perllegrini was criticized for not giving kids a chance in his final season, however as he knew he was leaving he understandably played senior players with his own cv in mind and won the league cup. Why would he want to risk blooding youngsters for the next manager to benefit from?

Pep didn't pick up a trophy this season and the pressure to succeed next season has increased - probably applied by himself as much as by others. As a consequence he needs the best at his disposal so less likely to take a chance on those coming through the academy.

Nobody (including myself) will care too much if we bring in the talent from outside and put a pot or two in the cabinet next season but when do we think we'll start to see the huge investments in our academy system beginning to bear some fruit and start to give us some serious return?
Spurge
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: Asa Hartford

Postby london blue 2 » Sun May 28, 2017 8:58 pm

CTID Hants wrote:
london blue 2 wrote:

Me too. Now the dust has settled im looking longer term (as I should have been)

But we desperately need some pots to shut those raggy bastards up and they're crawling out again.
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Postby nottsblue » Sun May 28, 2017 9:12 pm

I was thrilled when we got Pep and still am. I've seen enough this year to know we are in safe hands and I for one hope he stays for the long term to build a dynasty
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sun May 28, 2017 9:25 pm

nottsblue wrote:I was thrilled when we got Pep and still am. I've seen enough this year to know we are in safe hands and I for one hope he stays for the long term to build a dynasty

Even if he doesn't stay for the long term NB, I feel he'll most certainly be still with us beyond the time that Mourinho is kicked out of the Swamp, which will be rather nice, especially when we will be in a better position as a Club than the Scum.

I also wouldn't bet against him being here longer than Conte at Chelsea.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby john68 » Mon May 29, 2017 1:51 am

london blue 2 wrote:
CTID Hants wrote:
london blue 2 wrote:

But we desperately need some pots to shut those raggy bastards up and they're crawling out again.

The thing is LB, once you start to ignore all the media hype and sensationalism, City always were a long term project from day one. Nothing has ever changed.
Sadly, first under Marwood, then under the Txiki/Pellergrini regime, things were allowed to slide.
My first thoughts were that City had put things on hold in the knowledge that Pep was going to come in the future and the squad we had would get us through. But on considering the amounts we laid out for under performers, I now think that Txiki was/is simply not good enough at picking players but good at landing them when pointed in the right direction.
It was rumoured that Pep had a hand in picking Sterlingand KDB, (veracity unsure), but even allowing for Bravo and Nolito, Gundogan looks as though he can do the job and we can't complain about the likes of Jesus,Sane and Silva 2.
I think the biggest long term clues were given by statements made by both the club and Pep when he arrived, which the media and most City fans chose to ignore and the "#It Begins" logo put out by the club wnen Pep arrived.

As for the Academy, I now believe it is a means to reap the financial rewards from developing young talent, whilst cherry picking any talent that may be good enough. The sheer volume of talent coming through, the relative lack of opportunity at City to oust what are some of the best players in the World and the extremely high level of quality any kid would need to have, in order to break into our 1st team,points me towards a City commercial setup.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Mon May 29, 2017 6:26 am

london blue 2 wrote:
CTID Hants wrote:
london blue 2 wrote:

Don't need pots to shut them cunts up, we need pots for ourselves, no one else.

Besides most rags I know aren't best pleased with the shit that's being served up by the Portuguese eye gouger , they're embarrassed by it, if any of them mention pots I just laugh and ask them are these the same trophies that you've demeaned for years when others have won them, that soon shuts them up.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby freshie » Mon May 29, 2017 6:45 am

freshie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Dameerto » Mon May 29, 2017 8:04 am

john68 wrote:The thing is LB, once you start to ignore all the media hype and sensationalism, City always were a long term project from day one. Nothing has ever changed.
Sadly, first under Marwood, then under the Txiki/Pellergrini regime, things were allowed to slide.
My first thoughts were that City had put things on hold in the knowledge that Pep was going to come in the future and the squad we had would get us through. But on considering the amounts we laid out for under performers, I now think that Txiki was/is simply not good enough at picking players but good at landing them when pointed in the right direction.
It was rumoured that Pep had a hand in picking Sterlingand KDB, (veracity unsure), but even allowing for Bravo and Nolito, Gundogan looks as though he can do the job and we can't complain about the likes of Jesus,Sane and Silva 2.
I think the biggest long term clues were given by statements made by both the club and Pep when he arrived, which the media and most City fans chose to ignore and the "#It Begins" logo put out by the club wnen Pep arrived.

As for the Academy, I now believe it is a means to reap the financial rewards from developing young talent, whilst cherry picking any talent that may be good enough. The sheer volume of talent coming through, the relative lack of opportunity at City to oust what are some of the best players in the World and the extremely high level of quality any kid would need to have, in order to break into our 1st team,points me towards a City commercial setup.

That's pretty much what I've come round to as well. Whatever was good enough for one manager might not meet another manager's requirements so there will be casualties even for the 'good' youngsters. If it turns a profit AND helps develop youngsters into solid professionals then it's served a purpose (especially when a large percentage of the talent in the Academy is English).
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby aaron bond » Mon May 29, 2017 8:18 am

Dameerto wrote:
john68 wrote:The thing is LB, once you start to ignore all the media hype and sensationalism, City always were a long term project from day one. Nothing has ever changed.

That's pretty much what I've come round to as well. Whatever was good enough for one manager might not meet another manager's requirements so there will be casualties even for the 'good' youngsters. If it turns a profit AND helps develop youngsters into solid professionals then it's served a purpose (especially when a large percentage of the talent in the Academy is English).

We're following the Chelsea model. The youth set-up is there to make money from loans and selling players on for profit. Both clubs have by far the best youth teams in the country so we're clearly attracting the best talent.

I still think there is room for us to introduce youth players into the first team, particularly as all of our defenders are poor. But from a youngster's perspective, if you're still at City by the time you are 18 or 19 then you are likely to have decent career at some level of professional football.
aaron bond
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby johnny crossan » Mon May 29, 2017 10:50 am

johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby john68 » Mon May 29, 2017 12:58 pm

johnny crossan wrote:'THE BIG' interview on the OS

https://www.mancity.com/citytv/intervie ... bu%20dhabi

Says just about everything you need to know about where we're at and where we are going.
Compare that to our neighbours. Totally different, for them, whilst they too have an eye on the future, the IMMEDIATE is for them most important. Commercially they HAVE to be successful NOW,
Since Taggart left, they have been seen to have failed by global fans,by commercial partners and top players. Three/four years out of the limelight, out of the big games has hurt them already, they have to do it NOW.

For our owners, for Pep, the commercial pressure is far less, Even considering this was the first year of a total rebuild, we qualified for the CL, remain the third best team in the Prem and competed at the latter stages of the CL. Compare that to the likes of the rags who have all but dropped out of sight after four years of their rebuild. The likes of Liverpool who all but disappeared off the face of top football for many years.

One close season transfer window was never going to be anywhere near enough, not even two close season windows or even three. The aim at City is to match and overtake the likes of Barca, Juve, Real and Bayern and have the capacity to and to do so over many years.
Our owners are running this show, they know where they are going, they have the plan and obviously feel that Pep is the right coach for this phase of their project.

Our job is to sit and watch and SUPPORT and most important to enjoy and marvel at the quality of Jesus, KDB, Aguero, Yaya,Silvas (one & two)and the rest.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum