Ederson

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Ederson

Postby phips » Wed May 31, 2017 1:52 pm

figured that since he's pretty much on his way here to be our new #1 he deserves his own thread.

there needs to be a place for us to slag him off when he doesnt adapt as quickly to the Premier League.

Ederson Moraes - Factfile

Position: Goalkeeper
Club: Benfica
Nationality: Brazilian
International caps: 5 (U23s)

Born in the suburbs of Brazil's largest city, Ederson began his footballing journey in the youth set-up of one of the country's most famous clubs - Sao Paulo FC.

After a year learning his trade Benfica came calling, whisking the then 16-year-old off to Portugal where he failed to make an impression during a two-year spell.

Portuguese second-tier side Ribeirao offered Ederson a lifeline and, presented with regular first-team football, he grasped the opportunity to develop.

An impressive season between the sticks, which yielded 30 appearances, prompted Rio Ave to sign the youngster.

And it was during his three seasons at the Estadio dos Arcos where Benfica were made to regret their decision to part with Ederson.

A string of fine performances saw him receive international recognition at U23 level and the Portuguese heavyweights quickly secured his return to the Estadio da Luz before his stock rose further.

Just 12 days after taking charge, one of the first tasks newly-appointed Benfica boss Rui Vitoria had to do was to sanction Ederson's return.

Brought in to compete with first-choice stopper Julio Cesar, Ederson found first-team opportunities hard to come by initially as he played second fiddle to his compatriot.

But, when a serious injury ruled Cesar out for the rest of the season, Ederson was called upon to deputise for Benfica's end-of-season run-in.

A Champions League debut against Zenit, and quarter-final elimination at the hands of Bayern Munich, provided a valuable learning curve for Ederson, as too did winning the final 10 games of the season as Benfica clinched their 35th league title.

By the time the 2016/17 campaign had come around it was clear Benfica were looking to the future. Instated as No.1, Ederson made 25 league appearances, 34 in all competitions, and added the Taca de Portugal to another title success.

One of the few, yet substantial, criticisms levelled at Guardiola has focused on his handling of Joe Hart in his first season at City. No sooner had the Spaniard arrived at the Etihad it was made clear to the England international that he was not in the manager's plans, and Hart was soon sent out to Torino on loan.

Guardiola brought in Barcelona goalkeeper Claudio Bravo, citing the Chilean's superior ball-playing skills as reason for snubbing Hart. But his rash decision backfired as Bravo endured a nightmare debut season, so severe that Guardiola has been forced back into market.

Twelve months on, though, and Guardiola looks on the verge of getting the man he thought he had acquired when Bravo put pen to paper.

Like so much of the squad Guardiola has assembled, the talented Ederson will arrive as an unfinished article, allowing Guardiola to mould him into the bespoke goalkeeper he wants.

But, even at this early stage, there is plenty for Guardiola to work with, with Ederson conceding the fewest number of goals in the Primeira Liga last term (12) and the second-highest number of clean sheets (17), behind Iker Casillas.

Comfortable playing off both feet from the back, Ederson has been integral to both the measured and direct approaches that have come to typify Benfica over the last two years.

However, as Bravo will testify, it's not all about distribution.

At 6ft 2 inches, Ederson has developed into an intimidating 'keeper with exemplary shot-stopping ability, attributes which have seen him emerge as one of Europe's promising young goalkeepers.

Speaking to Portuguese newspaper Diario de Noticias, former Manchester United goalkeeper Edwin van der Sar backed Ederson to thrive in the Premier League.

"Ederson has already shown in the Champions League that his talent is undisputed," the Dutchman said. "He is always focused and has an excellent reading of the game, even without the ball.

"I think Ederson needs another kind of challenge to feel another kind of pressure. But the talent is all there, he only needs to prove it under other conditions. I have no doubt that with the qualities he has can overcome anything."

With a glowing reference like that, who is to say Ederson cannot be the man to solve Guardiola's goalkeeping problems next season and for years to come?

Watch on youtube.com

Ederson has ascertained an average rating of 7.03 at WhoScored, compared to Bravo’s… 6.39. No further words need to be said here.

Ederson makes 2.42 saves per game, compared to Bravo’s 1.44, David De Gea’s 1.81 and Thibaut Courtois’ 1.52.

Ederson’s average distribution length is 31m, compared to Bravo’s 25m. However, compared to De Gea (36m), Courtois (45m) and Mignolet (42m), Ederson shows much more awareness for going short. Though his distribution length on average is less than Bravo’s, it may be argued the great many passes Bravo makes to his centre backs weighs his stat down, and the fact Ederson’s stat is similar would give Pep hope Ederson could adept to the passing game for which Bravo was bought.
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Re: Ederson

Postby Dubciteh » Wed May 31, 2017 2:09 pm

Im worried. Im saying no more till i see him properly though. Those youtube videos do nothing to alleviate my worry.
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Nigels Tackle » Wed May 31, 2017 2:17 pm

will be an upgrade on clownio no matter what
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Sideshow Bob » Wed May 31, 2017 2:23 pm

Dubciteh wrote:Im worried. Im saying no more till i see him properly though. Those youtube videos do nothing to alleviate my worry.

same. his positioning looks awful in some of the clips ive seen.
Sideshow Bob
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Jonny Evans

Postby sheblue » Wed May 31, 2017 2:57 pm

Let's just give the lad a chance.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby littlebig » Wed May 31, 2017 3:12 pm

Ederson out!
littlebig
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Vinnie Kompany

Postby Sideshow Bob » Wed May 31, 2017 3:41 pm

sheblue wrote:Let's just give the lad a chance.

deffo yes. just found it strange that some questionable keeping was considered worthy of a highlight reel.
Sideshow Bob
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Jonny Evans

Postby PeterParker » Wed May 31, 2017 3:41 pm

Hate his neck tattoo.

Out!
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby nottsblue » Wed May 31, 2017 3:43 pm

Have my concerns like a lot of folks. Its a lot of money for a realtively untested goalkeeper and one who hasn't been capped for full International honours.

But, like all new City players, if he does in fact sign for us, he is one of us and part of the family and as such will be afforded the due respect and support he deserves
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby london blue 2 » Wed May 31, 2017 4:08 pm

I miss bravo...
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Postby john@staustell » Wed May 31, 2017 4:15 pm

london blue 2 wrote:I miss bravo...

I've never known anything like him. Wasn't it 7 goals in 7 shots until a shot hit one of his legs? Utterly ridiculous. I think one rag said Ederson would be "challenging Bravo".

Fuck me
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Wed May 31, 2017 4:48 pm

From that video, he looks brave enough going down at opposing players' feet.

Just hope that City can work on him to try and catch a few crosses, rather than punching them.

Having said that, it's only a video and we'll just have to wait and see.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby john@staustell » Wed May 31, 2017 4:58 pm

Most games he'll only have to touch the ball 4 or 5 times. How hard can it be?
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Wed May 31, 2017 5:29 pm

I've read somewhere that he has an extremely long dead-ball kick, able to launch it from his own area into the opponent's goal area.

It said that one Benfica tactic was, at goal kicks, for all their forwards to push right up beyond all the defenders, into what might be construed as off-side positions (because you can't be offside from a goal kick). The ball was then launched long and the Benfica forwards were ready to run onto it, almost unopposed.

Sounds a bit old style Wimbledon but, very rarely, if used once in a while, it might have some surprise value.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby fangsanalsatan » Wed May 31, 2017 5:37 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:I've read somewhere that he has an extremely long dead-ball kick, able to launch it from his own area into the opponent's goal area.

It said that one Benfica tactic was, at goal kicks, for all their forwards to push right up beyond all the defenders, into what might be construed as off-side positions (because you can't be offside from a goal kick). The ball was then launched long and the Benfica forwards were ready to run onto it, almost unopposed.

Sounds a bit old style Wimbledon but, very rarely, if used once in a while, it might have some surprise value.

https://streamable.com/g24k2
fangsanalsatan
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of:

Postby South Stand Balti » Wed May 31, 2017 5:41 pm

You can't be offside from a goal kick? When did that rule come in?
South Stand Balti
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Wed May 31, 2017 5:48 pm

South Stand Balti wrote:You can't be offside from a goal kick? When did that rule come in?

I know, I know - it's probably taking the concept of not interfering with play to the extreme :roll: :roll: :roll: Wish I could remember where I read it.

In essence, Ederson probably can't even reach the half-way line with his goal kicks

Edit : just seen the above video.
Last edited by Mikhail Chigorin on Wed May 31, 2017 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby PrezIke » Wed May 31, 2017 5:49 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:From that video, he looks brave enough going down at opposing players' feet.

Just hope that City can work on him to try and catch a few crosses, rather than punching them.

Having said that, it's only a video and we'll just have to wait and see.

Except hat's not how a lot of keepers handle such situations. It's too risky and resarch support their reasoning:

https://www.lrb.co.uk/blog/2014/06/16/d ... -the-ball/

Commentators often complain that goalkeepers punch or parry the ball when they should be trying to hold on to it. Catching the ball might be safer for the team but it looks a lot worse for the keeper when things go wrong. A hit-and-hope approach to goalkeeping sometimes leads to mistakes but any grab-and-drop counts as a howler, which is much harder to live down.

Studies have shown that referees are less likely to give decisions that will alter the course of a match than ones that seem to go with the flow of it. If you’re going to make a mistake, better to make one that doesn’t look decisive.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby blues2win » Wed May 31, 2017 6:38 pm

It's official he's signed!!!
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva