PL Big 6 trying to end even split of foreign TV money

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

PL Big 6 trying to end even split of foreign TV money

Postby JamieMCFC » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:59 pm

JamieMCFC
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC

Re: PL Big 6 trying to end even split of foreign TV money

Postby dazby » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:15 am

Come on City, don't be dicks.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Tokyo Blue » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:54 am

I disagree with the basic idea of this.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby phips » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:20 am

dazby wrote:Come on City, don't be dicks.

greeaaat. trying to kill the league. in a few years it'll be another boring La Liga.
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby Socrates » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:34 am

Hang on, if it was based on TV games being shown abroad would it change by much? Most countries show every game!!
Manchester : New York : Melbourne : Yokohama
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: st marks (gorton)

Postby Wooders » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:33 am

Socrates wrote:Hang on, if it was based on TV games being shown abroad would it change by much? Most countries show every game!!

It's about how many people watch the games - inevitably the top 6 teams get more viewers, therefore generate the most advertising revenue for the stations etc but we still get paid the same as a less known or popular team in the league
It does seem like a bit of a dick move but if you put a business head on, it's fair enough- you get paid a boatload more because of us, so pay up
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Postby Fidel Castro » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:37 am

Ashamed by this. I'm not far from sacking footy off
Fidel Castro
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City

Postby Dub City » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:43 am

Is the domestic tv money not already split in the this way ?each gets a certain amount and then extra for each game shown ? Would need to see details of what they are proposing before jumping on a headline
Dub City
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Postby Socrates » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:46 am

Wooders wrote:
Socrates wrote:Hang on, if it was based on TV games being shown abroad would it change by much? Most countries show every game!!

It's about how many people watch the games - inevitably the top 6 teams get more viewers, therefore generate the most advertising revenue for the stations etc but we still get paid the same as a less known or popular team in the league
It does seem like a bit of a dick move but if you put a business head on, it's fair enough- you get paid a boatload more because of us, so pay up

That's not what Woodward said though is it? He said based on number of appearances.
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:05 am

Socrates wrote:
Wooders wrote:

That's not what Woodward said though is it? He said based on number of appearances.

As you know though, the big clubs wouldn't be stirring it if there wasn't more money involved
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby mr_nool » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:07 am

Nope. In Europe broadcasters are, for instance, only allowed to show one Saturday 3 o'clock game (live).
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby Socrates » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:22 am

mr_nool wrote:

Nope. In Europe broadcasters are, for instance, only allowed to show one Saturday 3 o'clock game (live).

Ok thanks, makes more sense then. Guessing they are looking for a formula that replicates money per broadcast in the UK. That would be good for City whereas a model based on advertising revenue per team would be quite bad for us and very contentious. Hope they don't get it, I like the way the cash spread helps make the whole league so competitive.
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby BlueinBosnia » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:59 am

Socrates wrote:
mr_nool wrote:

Ok thanks, makes more sense then. Guessing they are looking for a formula that replicates money per broadcast in the UK. That would be good for City whereas a model based on advertising revenue per team would be quite bad for us and very contentious. Hope they don't get it, I like the way the cash spread helps make the whole league so competitive.

One odd side effect of this is that (assuming Woodward wasn't speaking incorrectly), as the European limits literally only affect games that are 15:00 Saturday kick-offs, games rearranged due to cup fixtures are not affected by the limit, and therefore there could be more of an incentive for mid-table clubs to try harder in the FA Cup, as it would give them more rearranged matches, and therefore more money (far more than the FA Cup prize money itself).
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby Mase » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:13 am

Fidel Castro wrote:Ashamed by this. I'm not far from sacking footy off

Same.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Nigels Tackle » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:35 am

oh dear
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby john68 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:51 am

......And so it goes on and on and on!.....This is not a stand alone proposal, it has to be seen in the much wider context of what has gone on since the 1980s and 90s, both domestically due to the bigger English clubs and then by the G14 in Europe. Quite simply 'grab what you can for yourself and cut the rest loose to sort themselves out'. (Also replicated somewhat across in Rugby Union and certainly in Rugby League). I am NOT surprised.

The current "Memorandum of Understanding" between UeFA and the ECA, whereby European qualifying clubs are legally obliged to enter the CL and EL ends in 2018 (having been extended in 2104),
There have been moves and negotiations going on since 2013, by the big Euro super clubs to form a European Super League. We saw bit and bats regarding this in the media recently, mainly a reaction from UeFA in order to retain some form of control by appeasing the super clubs.
The driving force behind it is not only greed but the feeling by the major clubs in Spain,Germany and Italy that they are falling behind the English clubs financially and are finding it increasingly difficutly to compete on a level financial playing field.

I predicted around 2013/14 that having gained control of UeFA via the ECA, the Euro super clubs (UeFA) would attempt to take over FiFA in order to gain control of football's global finances. Please note that the total gross income from all aspects of football now stands in the many £trillions, 75% of which is earned within Europe.
The Europeans have always viewed that income imbalance and the fact that in FiFA the 'one man one voting system' gave them almost no voting power.An imbalance that they sought to change over many years.
It was always my opinion that it was those big clubs (UeFA) using their multi global commercial partners and sponsors (mainly based in the USA) that were behind the collapse of the Blatter regime controlling FiFA. The Europeans now have control of FiFA.

That City, a club that I have supported since 1956 may have joined the greed movement (hopefully the reports of this are untrue) sickens and disgusts me. I was no supporter of the machinations of the major English clubs when they formed the Premier League and dumped the rest of English football to fend for itself, I was a major and loud critic of just about all things G14, when they did similar in Europe but on a much larger financial scale and I am certainly disgusted by this move, though in no way surprised.

61yrs of being a City fan, sky blue embedded deep within me.....Not so sure now.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby phips » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:20 pm

Dub City wrote:Is the domestic tv money not already split in the this way ?each gets a certain amount and then extra for each game shown ?

yes, i believe so.

something tells me though that this is almost entirely about the US rights. just a hunch.
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby Socrates » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:24 pm

john68 wrote:
That City, a club that I have supported since 1956 may have joined the greed movement (hopefully the reports of this are untrue) sickens and disgusts me. I was no supporter of the machinations of the major English clubs when they formed the Premier League and dumped the rest of English football to fend for itself, I was a major and loud critic of just about all things G14, when they did similar in Europe but on a much larger financial scale and I am certainly disgusted by this move, though in no way surprised.

61yrs of being a City fan, sky blue embedded deep within me.....Not so sure now.

It's just Sorriano, he's probably desperately trying to find more funds that his mate can blow on defenders that can't defend and goalkeepers that don't make saves. Khaldoon will hopefully tell them to pull their heads in.
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby john68 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:08 pm

Socrates wrote:
john68 wrote:

It's just Sorriano, he's probably desperately trying to find more funds that his mate can blow on defenders that can't defend and goalkeepers that don't make saves. Khaldoon will hopefully tell them to pull their heads in.

You could well be right Socs, but I have grave doubts. All through my long term research of the actions of the old G14, latterly their actions within the ECA and the info I gathered regarding a possible breakaway Euro super league after the Memorandum of Understanding expires in 2018, there have been two constant themes. 1) The grab for any and all money they can get their grubby hands on, whatever the cost to any other football institution, club or the sport itself and their need to ring fence themselves, and defend themselves from and stop anybody else qualifying to drink from the trough they created.
Statements made by the owner of Galatasary and confirmed by the Agnelli family (Juve owners) around 2013/2014 at the Leaders In Sport Convention held in New York were quite specific. That "15 to 20 of Europe's biggest clubs had been and were actively discussing setting up a breakaway league which would include all of the major clubs in Europe, THERE MAY BE ONE OR TWO EXCEPTIONS, FOR LOCAL REASONS, FOR POLITICAL REASONS"

Given that the English clubs involved in those discussion were/are Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and the rags and that in the fuller statement, the rags are specifically named as one of the driving forces (David Gill again?), I interpreted and still believe that City, being the biggest threat to the ring fence around those big European clubs, because of City's resources, that City were top of the list of those exclusions. Geographically we are far too near to both the Northern English clubs and certainly a threat to the financial ambitions of all those English clubs.

I further believed then and still do that it was/is necessary for City to grow both on the pitch and off the pitch commercially to such an extent that City could not be ignored. The current commercial growth of City, coupled with the failings of the other big English clubs and the recent rise of Spurs to challenge them also seems to define a race for elite status, given that European football is possibly on the cusp of evolving into such a massive commercial and global enterprise, bigger than we could ever have imagined.

I am both saddened and angered (maybe an age or generational thing) by the direction that football has taken and very unhappy that we look as though we could be become a part of the 'race for greed'.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:40 pm

From initial impressions, this all seems very unsavoury and highly unpalatable.

I know, in all fairness, we don't know the full details as of yet and, in purely mercantilistic terms, this probably makes sound good sense to our owners who are sharp, shrewd and dynamic business people but, in singularly footballing terms, it leaves an overwhelmingly sour taste in the mouth.

If, at the end of the day, this all pans out in the way that we're fearing, we could actually, for once, be partly involved in ruining football in this country.

Hope we're all ridiculously wrong.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum