PL Big 6 trying to end even split of foreign TV money

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: PL Big 6 trying to end even split of foreign TV money

Postby mr_nool » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:53 pm

john68 wrote:
Socrates wrote:
john68 wrote:
That City, a club that I have supported since 1956 may have joined the greed movement (hopefully the reports of this are untrue) sickens and disgusts me. I was no supporter of the machinations of the major English clubs when they formed the Premier League and dumped the rest of English football to fend for itself, I was a major and loud critic of just about all things G14, when they did similar in Europe but on a much larger financial scale and I am certainly disgusted by this move, though in no way surprised.

61yrs of being a City fan, sky blue embedded deep within me.....Not so sure now.

It's just Sorriano, he's probably desperately trying to find more funds that his mate can blow on defenders that can't defend and goalkeepers that don't make saves. Khaldoon will hopefully tell them to pull their heads in.

You could well be right Socs, but I have grave doubts. All through my long term research of the actions of the old G14, latterly their actions within the ECA and the info I gathered regarding a possible breakaway Euro super league after the Memorandum of Understanding expires in 2018, there have been two constant themes. 1) The grab for any and all money they can get their grubby hands on, whatever the cost to any other football institution, club or the sport itself and their need to ring fence themselves, and defend themselves from and stop anybody else qualifying to drink from the trough they created.
Statements made by the owner of Galatasary and confirmed by the Agnelli family (Juve owners) around 2013/2014 at the Leaders In Sport Convention held in New York were quite specific. That "15 to 20 of Europe's biggest clubs had been and were actively discussing setting up a breakaway league which would include all of the major clubs in Europe, THERE MAY BE ONE OR TWO EXCEPTIONS, FOR LOCAL REASONS, FOR POLITICAL REASONS"

Given that the English clubs involved in those discussion were/are Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and the rags and that in the fuller statement, the rags are specifically named as one of the driving forces (David Gill again?), I interpreted and still believe that City, being the biggest threat to the ring fence around those big European clubs, because of City's resources, that City were top of the list of those exclusions. Geographically we are far too near to both the Northern English clubs and certainly a threat to the financial ambitions of all those English clubs.

I further believed then and still do that it was/is necessary for City to grow both on the pitch and off the pitch commercially to such an extent that City could not be ignored. The current commercial growth of City, coupled with the failings of the other big English clubs and the recent rise of Spurs to challenge them also seems to define a race for elite status, given that European football is possibly on the cusp of evolving into such a massive commercial and global enterprise, bigger than we could ever have imagined.

I am both saddened and angered (maybe an age or generational thing) by the direction that football has taken and very unhappy that we look as though we could be become a part of the 'race for greed'.

if it's a generational question, it spans more than one generation. I'm very disillusioned by modern football as well, and have many time said that I will probably give it up if a break-out "SUPER LEAGUE" is created. Especially if City is part of it.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby Tru_Blu » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:58 pm

I am not in support of this. I want healthy competition, thats what makes the great EPL.
"Like all bullies, they've just found out that there is a much bigger guy in town, someone who is richer and more powerful than their worst nightmare."

Piers Morgan

Tru_Blu
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: oat-Rivaldo cur-KDB

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:04 pm

If the source for this story is the Daily Hitler then I'd hold fire.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby john68 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:53 pm

Peter Doherty (AGAIG) wrote:If the source for this story is the Daily Hitler then I'd hold fire.

I would agree with that PD,
The only worries I have about this is that the report is plausible. It fits with the way the things have evolved since the 1980s and also fits the ambitions of the large continental clubs who view the financial structure of the Premier League as unfair competition and something they want themselves to attain to keep up.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Justified logic » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:56 pm

As others have said, this leaves a sour taste. I want competition, not an elitists' league.
Justified logic
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby nottsblue » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:21 pm

Hope this is just paper talk and this isn't the way as a club we are going. But I suspect the truth, as usual in these matters, is somewhere in between. We have derided the rags and arsenal and the dippers et all as being self serving cunts who are only in it to make more money for themselves at the expense of everyone else. I would be really disappointed if we follow suit and a little part of our soul would die along with it that could not be replaced.
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Moonchesteri » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:57 am

Fidel Castro wrote:Ashamed by this.

Me too mate. You just can't defend this

I truly hope this will not go through
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Postby patrickblue » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:28 pm

Moonchesteri wrote:
Fidel Castro wrote:Ashamed by this.

Me too mate. You just can't defend this

I truly hope this will not go through

I think we all are.
But it was always the danger.
And it's only the original hardcore fans who will feel like this, the bandwagon jumpers won't give a toss.
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Postby Sideshow Bob » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:57 pm

sickener but that's modern football in a nutshell.
Sideshow Bob
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Jonny Evans

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:04 am

Most of us held hopes of us fighting the good fight for the underdog, saldy that's probably a pipe dream. Doesn't make it any less disgusting mind.

That said I'd like to remind all the smaller clubs who voted for FFP that you lot started it.
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:28 am

I have to say that I'm disgusted seeing our name linked with shit like this.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Socrates » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:33 am

Pretty Boy Lee wrote:Most of us held hopes of us fighting the good fight for the underdog, saldy that's probably a pipe dream. Doesn't make it any less disgusting mind.

That said I'd like to remind all the smaller clubs who voted for FFP that you lot started it.

A very valid point actually.
Manchester : New York : Melbourne : Yokohama
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: st marks (gorton)

Postby Mase » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:44 am

Socrates wrote:
Pretty Boy Lee wrote:Most of us held hopes of us fighting the good fight for the underdog, saldy that's probably a pipe dream. Doesn't make it any less disgusting mind.

Good shout. They didn't understand what they were agreeing to at the time would stop them ever becoming one of the 'big boys' and just wanted to do it to basically try and screw City over. In the end teams like Hull got caught in it never thinking they would.

I've change my opinion now. Fuck em!
Last edited by Mase on Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:24 am

Mase wrote:
Socrates wrote:

Good shout. They didn't understand what they were agreeing to at the time would stop them every becoming one of the 'big boys' and just wanted to do it to basically try and screw City over. In the end teams like Hull got caught in it never thinking they would.

I've change my opinion now. Fuck em!

You're a paragon of open mindedness Mase !!
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby john68 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:38 am

Regarding some of those smaller clubs who may have been happy to see City screwed by the FFP, they forget that many of them owe City a huge debt of gratitude that they weren't cut adrift some years ago.
During Keegan's City reign, whilst City were chasing promotion in the 2nd tier, there was a serious move to form a 2nd tier breakaway league to become the Prem 2nd division.
At that time, some of the larger 2nd tier clubs who considered themselves as Prem clubs and some of the clubs who had been recently relegated sought to form a smaller Prem 2 division, by dumping the likes of Stockport, Crewe etc.
They needed the support of the biggest 2nd tier club which was City, without that support, the venture would fail.
City, Bernstein & Keegan vetoed the idea, saying that the smaller clubs were in that division because they had risen through the league and won the right to compete at that level.
Because of City's moral stance, the venture failed before it had started and those smaller clubs got their chance to compete at that level for footbalL reasons, rather than the sizeof their financial dicks.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68

Postby patrickblue » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:09 am

john68 wrote:Regarding some of those smaller clubs who may have been happy to see City screwed by the FFP, they forget that many of them owe City a huge debt of gratitude that they weren't cut adrift some years ago.
During Keegan's City reign, whilst City were chasing promotion in the 2nd tier, there was a serious move to form a 2nd tier breakaway league to become the Prem 2nd division.
At that time, some of the larger 2nd tier clubs who considered themselves as Prem clubs and some of the clubs who had been recently relegated sought to form a smaller Prem 2 division, by dumping the likes of Stockport, Crewe etc.
They needed the support of the biggest 2nd tier club which was City, without that support, the venture would fail.
City, Bernstein & Keegan vetoed the idea, saying that the smaller clubs were in that division because they had risen through the league and won the right to compete at that level.
Because of City's moral stance, the venture failed before it had started and those smaller clubs got their chance to compete at that level for footbalL reasons, rather than the sizeof their financial dicks.

Are you sure about that John?
Surely we were far too busy ruining football to bother with all that!
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Postby Tokyo Blue » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:15 am

I can't have been us. We didn't exist - we've got no history.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby john68 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:48 pm

Quite certain PB, It all took place during the cretinaceous period when the rags etc were actually ruining football but nobody dare blame them.

As for our history Tokyo Mate, the 1st batch was destroyed if the Hyde Road fire and the next batch of it was last seen being loaded into skips on the orders of Mr Swales.
john68

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum