Transfer rumours

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Transfer rumours

Postby patrickblue » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:17 pm

Wooders wrote:
Peter Doherty (AGAIG) wrote:
Mase wrote:I certainly do Patrick. 100%

It's the same with the owners as well. You never hear anyone say 'Yank Money' but you always hear 'Arab money/owners' being used. You see videos on Facebook 'City owners outside the Etihad' and it will be a video of Arabs rioting somewhere in the world.

Stones moved to us last summer and he has been in the spotlight in the media this season about his personal life rarely (think there was a story about him cheating on his girlfriend). But Raheem goes to Poundland and it makes he news?! Why?

There's still a massive problem.

Spot on, mate.

It doesn't quite add up - there are plenty of black players in the league and England squad who are not subjected to the same level of scrutiny from the press and other teams fans - so how does skin colour affect it?

That was my view as well, which was why I asked the question.
I still think it's because of him forcing a move from scouse1 to City, and being painted by our lovely unbiased media as a mercenary.
I don't think Stones attracts the same vilification, as he was always expected to leave Everton for a bigger club, whereas a lot of the media take the view that Liverpool is as big as you can get.
If it was the other way round, I think it would be Stones getting the shite.
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Postby Dameerto » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:12 pm

patrickblue wrote:
Wooders wrote:

It's the same with the owners as well. You never hear anyone say 'Yank Money' but you always hear 'Arab money/owners' being used. You see videos on Facebook 'City owners outside the Etihad' and it will be a video of Arabs rioting somewhere in the world.

Stones moved to us last summer and he has been in the spotlight in the media this season about his personal life rarely (think there was a story about him cheating on his girlfriend). But Raheem goes to Poundland and it makes he news?! Why?

Spot on, mate.

It doesn't quite add up - there are plenty of black players in the league and England squad who are not subjected to the same level of scrutiny from the press and other teams fans - so how does skin colour affect it?

That was my view as well, which was why I asked the question.
I still think it's because of him forcing a move from scouse1 to City, and being painted by our lovely unbiased media as a mercenary.
I don't think Stones attracts the same vilification, as he was always expected to leave Everton for a bigger club, whereas a lot of the media take the view that Liverpool is as big as you can get.
If it was the other way round, I think it would be Stones getting the shite.

Milner ran his contract down ensuring City didn't get a transfer fee and that he was in a better position to negotiate a contract when he moved to Liverpool on a free - it never gets a single mention, infact I've seen it painted as City forcing him out.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Scatman » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:19 pm

Milner signed a contract and honoured it.
Scatman
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Sideshow Bob » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:17 pm

Scatman wrote:Milner signed a contract and honoured it.

Yeah he's a model of integrity that one.
Sideshow Bob
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Jonny Evans

Postby Dameerto » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:34 pm

He moved clubs on his own terms and not on CIty's terms which is my point - and his terms were to the detriment of City.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby aaron bond » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:45 pm

Dameerto wrote:

He moved clubs on his own terms and not on CIty's terms which is my point - and his terms were to the detriment of City.

I think that's a bit unfair.

His terms with Liverpool were irrelevant to City.

Milner signed a contract with us and almost always performed well for us. He fulfilled his contract with minimal fuss. He left when it was over.

Since he's left he's not used the best choice of words, particularly as the trophies he won with us will be the only trophies he'll ever win. So he has quite rightly lost favour with us. But whilst with us he was generally well behaved.
aaron bond
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby johnny crossan » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:57 pm

nottsblue wrote:....Considering how great Alves has been at Juventus this year....

has he been reading your posts? :(
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby nottsblue » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:06 pm

johnny crossan wrote:
nottsblue wrote:....Considering how great Alves has been at Juventus this year....

has he been reading your posts? :(

For a year he would be a great signing. A brilliant stop gap.
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Mase » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:11 pm

So what's the excuse with our owners getting racist digs here and there?
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:40 pm

Mase wrote:So what's the excuse with our owners getting racist digs here and there?

This just got me thinking Mase.

It seems so long ago now that Shinawatra was our owner and, at the time, there were some doubts about his 'suitability' because of his record in Thailand, but what was the level of criticism levelled against him and how were City, as a Club, viewed in the media and in footballing circles back then ??

I can't remember the Club itself suffering the same degree of denigration that we are subjected to these days, but what about our owners when compared to Shinawatra ??

Genuine question as I just can't recall.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Saul Goodman » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:49 pm

Alves wouldnt be bad. Surely he wont come to backup Walker though
Saul Goodman
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bernardo Silva

Postby Mase » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:51 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
Mase wrote:So what's the excuse with our owners getting racist digs here and there?

It seems so long ago now that Shinawatra was our owner and, at the time, there were some doubts about his 'suitability' because of his record in Thailand, but what was the level of criticism levelled against him and how were City, as a Club, viewed in the media and in footballing circles back then ??

I can't remember the Club itself suffering the same degree of denigration that we are subjected to these days, but what about our owners when compared to Shinawatra ??

His suitability got questioned. But it was never referred to as 'Thai money'. Not like the 'oil/Arab money' we get now!
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby patrickblue » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:51 pm

Agree with that, it seems that that a lot of the media think they're fair game, and the racial discrimination act doesn't somehow apply.
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby patrickblue » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:59 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:

As owners go, I think at the time Hitler would have been welcomed with open arms considering we were about to go under.
The club certainly didn't suffer the same degree of denigration as now, simply because we were still little city, everyone favourite second club.
As for Frank, no-one was really sure if he was dodgy or not.
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby patrickblue » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:02 pm

Saul Goodman wrote:Alves wouldnt be bad. Surely he wont come to backup Walker though

I don't want to get anyone's hopes up, but this bollox suggests Walker's not coming.

http://www.football.london/tottenham-hotspur-fc/news/hes-man-city-tottenham-fans-13199201
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby nottsblue » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:05 pm

patrickblue wrote:
Saul Goodman wrote:Alves wouldnt be bad. Surely he wont come to backup Walker though

I don't want to get anyone's hopes up, but this bollox suggests Walker's not coming.

http://www.football.london/tottenham-hotspur-fc/news/hes-man-city-tottenham-fans-13199201

Perhaps we simply don't want to pay Spurs in the region of £50m for a full back and have switched attention to a cheaper alternative with the hope Walker is cheaper next year
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby johnny crossan » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:12 pm

Saul Goodman wrote:Alves wouldn't be bad. Surely he wont come to backup Walker though
on the face of it, swapping one ageing right back for an even older one is risky, maybe he'll turn out another Kafu or Zanetti though.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Dameerto » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:54 pm

aaron bond wrote:
Dameerto wrote:

I think that's a bit unfair.

His terms with Liverpool were irrelevant to City.

Milner signed a contract with us and almost always performed well for us. He fulfilled his contract with minimal fuss. He left when it was over.

Since he's left he's not used the best choice of words, particularly as the trophies he won with us will be the only trophies he'll ever win. So he has quite rightly lost favour with us. But whilst with us he was generally well behaved.

That statement is entirely accurate - fairness has nothing to do with it - he wound down his contract until he could negotiate with other clubs from a strong personal position and with City receiving nothing in return for him moving. What the hell has fairness got to do with that?
VIVA EL CITIES

Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby johnny crossan » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:33 pm

'Dani Alves has already given his personal consent over a move to Manchester City. [@romeoagresti]'

That was very good of him I'm sure but my strong sense is that this is all part of a contractual negotiation with a different party - as so often in the past.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:25 pm

Wooders wrote:

Spot on, mate.

Raheem is not seen to be a shrinking violet.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum