Defenders, Where Are They?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Defenders, Where Are They?

Postby johnny crossan » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:02 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
littlebig wrote:I never got the disrespecting our own organisation's people thing. Critical analysis fair enough and I understand people's frustrations but the disrespect thing is a bit baffling.

What?
These people you are talking about are NOT the club. The supporters are. Chairmen, managers, players, executive people and even stadiums come and go. Only never changing thing, the core, are the supporters. Txiki gets paid millions to play Football Manager 2017 Platinum Edition for living. And under his watch the team has turned from exciting and balanced group of young players into very unbalanced group of players and lot of money has been thrown at players who were supposed to be on their prime yet turned out to be shit.

In just about any walk of life, not only in one where you get paid millions for the risk, you'd be close to getting sacked with his track record. How someone can't see thatis bit baffling.

NQD's argument is not without merit but supporters also come and go and a club without players and a stadium is difficult for them to embrace.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby sheblue » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:14 am

This is a very important transfer window. Less than a month to go before real games start. It would be nice to have the majority of new players in for preseason but that rarely happens anyway. He has a month to sort it, with the exception of one notable fullback, that saga will probably run to or close to deadline day.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:12 am

Still no sign of Otamendi at training.

Hmmmm...
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby CTID Hants » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:03 am

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:Still no sign of Otamendi at training.

Hmmmm...

I'd been looking out for him an wondered if he had dropped the whole hipster look lol

He was celebrating his dad's birthday 5 days ago and beard and hair are ever present so no idea where he's at....
Born A Blue

CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Postby freshie » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:07 pm

According to the BBC we've agreed a £50m deal with spuds for Walker and he's set to have a medical on Friday

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40598351
freshie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby iwasthere2012 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:12 pm

freshie wrote:According to the BBC we've agreed a £50m deal with spuds for Walker and he's set to have a medical on Friday

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40598351

One in and Mendy expected too for circa €40 m
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Blueboylewis » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:14 pm

Confirmed on sky sports now as well, right back and a left back on there way through the doors. A top notch centre back and I feel we will be there! All that worrying for nothing hey.
Blueboylewis
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby sheblue » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:42 pm

Surprised the Walker deal did not string out until nearer the end of the transfer window. But i suppose if were now paying what they want... no more 'negotiations' needed.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby littlebig » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:34 pm

littlebig wrote:I never got the disrespecting our own organisation's people thing. Critical analysis fair enough and I understand people's frustrations but the disrespect thing is a bit baffling.

What?
These people you are talking about are NOT the club. The supporters are. Chairmen, managers, players, executive people and even stadiums come and go. Only never changing thing, the core, are the supporters. Txiki gets paid millions to play Football Manager 2017 Platinum Edition for living. And under his watch the team has turned from exciting and balanced group of young players into very unbalanced group of players and lot of money has been thrown at players who were supposed to be on their prime yet turned out to be shit.

In just about any walk of life, not only in one where you get paid millions for the risk, you'd be close to getting sacked with his track record. How someone can't see thatis bit baffling.

I do see that NQDP, as i said "Critical analysis fair enough". My point was more to do with the approach of using disrespect to criticise, just doesn't feel right to go that route.

We'll have to agree to disagree on who/what constitutes the club as i feel that, as well as all the other elements that you mention, the people who work for the club ARE the club, be that the tea lady, players or the CEO. As an aside i would argue that the only never changing thing is the club culture, the ethos.
littlebig
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Vinnie Kompany

Postby PrezIke » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:29 pm

Startinfg to feel maybe a little bit better now?
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby sheblue » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:32 pm

PrezIke wrote:Startinfg to feel maybe a little bit better now?

Getting there.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:59 am

littlebig wrote:

What?

I do see that NQDP, as i said "Critical analysis fair enough". My point was more to do with the approach of using disrespect to criticise, just doesn't feel right to go that route.

We'll have to agree to disagree on who/what constitutes the club as i feel that, as well as all the other elements that you mention, the people who work for the club ARE the club, be that the tea lady, players or the CEO. As an aside i would argue that the only never changing thing is the club culture, the ethos.

In my 33 years of following this club I've seen so many chairmen I've lost count, dozens of managers, thousands of players and endless number of people working for the club. Sure there were people along the way who represented what I would call "City way". Chappy, John Wardle, Pablo Zabaleta, Vincent Kompany, Jim Cassell and even Roberto Mancini to mention few in recent history. But they all were or turned out to be supporters as well.

I don't agree that even Club culture is permanent. I think we have actually completely revamped the culture since the takeover even including things like badge, the stadium and evrything from how players eat to what sort of supporter experience they offer (though ticket office still lives in fucking stone age and always seem to mess up everything for me). I'll say it again, only permanent thing in this have been supporters.City 'til I die and all that.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:12 am

Fullbacks sorted. Now to centerbacks.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Dubciteh » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:19 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:Fullbacks sorted. Now to centerbacks.

Still another one in for me. Centreback and centre mid are deseperate for me.

If we dont get sanchez which is looking unlikely lets whip nasri into shape.
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID

Postby nottsblue » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:26 am

Given Peps love of midfielders can anyone else see a scenario of three at the back with a midfielder (most likely Fernandinho) as one of the back three?
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby johnny crossan » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:48 am

nottsblue wrote:Given Peps love of midfielders can anyone else see a scenario of three at the back with a midfielder (most likely Fernandinho) as one of the back three?
I reckon that would be his system of choice if he thinks he's got the players to do it.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby nottsblue » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:58 am

johnny crossan wrote:
nottsblue wrote:Given Peps love of midfielders can anyone else see a scenario of three at the back with a midfielder (most likely Fernandinho) as one of the back three?
I reckon that would be his system of choice if he thinks he's got the players to do it.

Well, he has had a year on the training ground with them. We shall see
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:23 am

Dubciteh wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:Fullbacks sorted. Now to centerbacks.

Still another one in for me. Centreback and centre mid are deseperate for me.

If we dont get sanchez which is looking unlikely lets whip nasri into shape.

I'm cool with these fullbacks actually. They are all on their prime and fullback is least punishing position on the pitch so we don't need that much cover. Besides if we had strong group of CB's could always find cover there. Stones for example is pretty capable rightback. BUT that would meän strong group of centerbacks which we don't have.

A box-to-box midfielder wouöd be nice as well but now I'm.just getting greedy.

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby johnny crossan » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:33 am

nottsblue wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:

Well, he has had a year on the training ground with them. We shall see

he's got form

ImageImage
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:52 am

We played three at the back a few times last season and on none of them occasions did he have a midfielder in the back three so I wouldn't say it's likely, although it's Pep, so you never know.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum