Full backs

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Full backs

Postby sniffer » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:16 am

We keep buying all this youg talent from around the world for nearly every position on the pitch. We keep some and loan some all for the future. Why can our scouting network not find young fullbacks as understudies to say Walker and Mendy must we spend massive amounts on four experienced fullbacks ???
sniffer
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Re: Full backs

Postby MUS » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:09 am

Yup
CENTURIONS
MUS
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby patrickblue » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:53 am

sniffer wrote:We keep buying all this youg talent from around the world for nearly every position on the pitch. We keep some and loan some all for the future. Why can our scouting network not find young fullbacks as understudies to say Walker and Mendy must we spend massive amounts on four experienced fullbacks ???

Agree 100% that's what I would like to see.
Unfortunately, it seems the academy is there to make money, not squad players.
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:21 pm

It's a combination of both. Bring the youth through with any outstanding players making it to the first team, the rest moved on for a profit and excellent prospects elsewhere.

Coming from the CFA will have its advantages.

As a top European club we will always need to buy the best players we can at certain times, this is one of those times where we need a number of players and we cannot rely on young guns to be first picks, it wouldn't be right.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:53 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:It's a combination of both. Bring the youth through with any outstanding players making it to the first team, the rest moved on for a profit and excellent prospects elsewhere.

Coming from the CFA will have its advantages.

As a top European club we will always need to buy the best players we can at certain times, this is one of those times where we need a number of players and we cannot rely on young guns to be first picks, it wouldn't be right.

You're absolutely right Beefy.

It's just that, from a fan's perspective, it's so very frustrating, especially when you think of the calibre of player we had to 'suffer' not all that long ago.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:24 pm

When Alves was on the cards it made sense, a veteran fullback to rotate with a full back in his prime ( Walker) with the former making way for an understudy ( Maffeo) when he came of age.

That looked like a succession plan.

This idea of bringing in two full backs on each side in their prime has me baffled.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby sniffer » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:13 pm

That's my point surely we can find two decent understudies to Walker and Mendy? Without spending a fortune on all four.
sniffer
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Postby Crossie » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:10 am

Something I miss from "th'olden days" is a youth player trying to break through, improving game by game, SWP, Micah, Johnson, Ireland, Willo Fl......erm

Something special about feeling that one of your own can make it. Spurs do it, Southampton do it, Liverpool sometimes do it. They haven't had success like we have, maybe that's the reason we don't.

Garcia is obviously one with the potential to do it next, always looks at ease.
Crossie
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Vinny

Postby john@staustell » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:23 am

Crossie wrote:Something I miss from "th'olden days" is a youth player trying to break through, improving game by game, SWP, Micah, Johnson, Ireland, Willo Fl......erm

Something special about feeling that one of your own can make it. Spurs do it, Southampton do it, Liverpool sometimes do it. They haven't had success like we have, maybe that's the reason we don't.

I thought we'd shipped him off somewhere?

It's far, far easier to bring on 'kids' when you aren't near the top of the League, trying to play in the CL and one mistake can cost you dear - it's bad enough with seasoned players!

With the possible, only possible, exception of an injury and habit-free Johnson none of those players above are good enough to play at out level now, possibly not even in the PL now.

Lets face it, we bought Lee, Bell, Summerbee, Marsh, Channon, Watson and a whole load of our former stars. Joe Corrigan was nearly hounded out because of his mistakes as a youngster.

United do it - well, did it until Maureen. But it turned out they were all shit and none of them play for the club now.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Dubciteh » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:44 am

john@staustell wrote:
Crossie wrote:Something I miss from "th'olden days" is a youth player trying to break through, improving game by game, SWP, Micah, Johnson, Ireland, Willo Fl......erm

It's far, far easier to bring on 'kids' when you aren't near the top of the League, trying to play in the CL and one mistake can cost you dear - it's bad enough with seasoned players!

With the possible, only possible, exception of an injury and habit-free Johnson none of those players above are good enough to play at out level now, possibly not even in the PL now.

Lets face it, we bought Lee, Bell, Summerbee, Marsh, Channon, Watson and a whole load of our former stars. Joe Corrigan was nearly hounded out because of his mistakes as a youngster.

United do it - well, did it until Maureen. But it turned out they were all shit and none of them play for the club now.

Garica gone to Girona, dissapointing as we are light in that position imo.

I disagree on Johnson btw, he wouldnt get near the team. A young Micah or SWP would though. SWP as a right wing back for us in his prime would be great. Micah should be hitting his peak now and would be a great addition to our squad, his pace alone would get us out of a tonne of trouble. Such a pity how it went for him.
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:08 pm

john@staustell wrote:

Even in those days John, we still 'produced' the likes of Tommy Booth, Tony Towers, Willie Donachie, Gary Owen and others to supplement those purchases so, whatever the era, it's always possible.

In this day and age, it might be harder, but it's always got to be possible.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby PeterParker » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:43 am

So Walker, Mendy and Danilo. One more to go.

Bertrand?
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby kennyboy » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:56 am

PeterParker wrote:So Walker, Mendy and Danilo. One more to go.

Bertrand?

Walker and Mendy will prob play alot, Danilo can cover both sides.
Cant see Pep go after another, Fern1 can allso play the role.
Scandinavian True Blue
kennyboy
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Keith Curle

Postby Sideshow Bob » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:03 am

part I don't get is why 3 out of of 4 of these FBs (if we get Bertrand) are basically the same age, 26/27. that means we'll need to replace the lot at the same time in 4-5 yrs. again. and we'll get fucked on fees. again.
Sideshow Bob
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Jonny Evans

Postby johnny crossan » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:20 am

kennyboy wrote:

Bertrand?

Cant see Pep go after another, Fern1 can also play the role.

As could been seen many times last season and once more against Rashford in the week, Fern is a full back of last resort :(
We also miss him in midfield and are currently without effective cover in his role there.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Postby Grandad Rosler » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:34 am

Sideshow Bob wrote:part I don't get is why 3 out of of 4 of these FBs (if we get Bertrand) are basically the same age, 26/27. that means we'll need to replace the lot at the same time in 4-5 yrs. again. and we'll get fucked on fees. again.

Surely it's a rotation thing? If we want to push on every front, in every competition then every 11 we put out has to be a starting 11. For that you need first team players rotating in.

Don't get me wrong I believe we should be blooding the youngsters more as well but assuming thats our game plan.
Grandad Rosler
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

My favourite player is: Andy Morrison

Postby PeterParker » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:44 am

kennyboy wrote:

Bertrand?

Cant see Pep go after another, Fern1 can allso play the role.

I think playing Danilo on the left would be a mistake. Our defence experiments last season were a fiasco, with Kolarov as a CB and Fern as a RB.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby Justified logic » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:18 pm

So what happens when a couple of them are injured/suspended? When all three are injured/suspended? Do we have any promising youths that we could call upon?
Justified logic
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby johnny crossan » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:29 pm

Justified logic wrote:So what happens when a couple of them are injured/suspended? When all three are injured/suspended? Do we have any promising youths that we could call upon?

Those questions have such obvious answers as to be not worth asking.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Postby nottsblue » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:49 pm

Unsavoury rumours still persist over Oxlade-Chamberlain. If true and let's hope they are nothing but the usual bullshit, may he be seen as a wing back rather than the midfielder he currently is?
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum