Welcome Leroy Sané

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Welcome Leroy Sané

Postby PrezIke » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:34 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
Sideshow Bob wrote:is anyone else slightly worried about leroy?? he was far and away my fav player last year, but he hasn't looked himself in preseason or at brighton. i worry that pep will start to lose faith in him. he has so much potential. would hate to see him fade and become a bit part player for us...

Not worried in the slightest. I will leave knee jerk thinking to others.

One game into the season!!!

This all day.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby harveytravis » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:21 pm

PrezIke wrote:
Sideshow Bob wrote:is anyone else slightly worried about leroy?? he was far and away my fav player last year, but he hasn't looked himself in preseason or at brighton. i worry that pep will start to lose faith in him. he has so much potential. would hate to see him fade and become a bit part player for us...

This all day.

And all of the night
harveytravis
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Justified logic » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:27 pm

harveytravis wrote:
PrezIke wrote:

This all day.

And all of the night

Oh yeah!
Justified logic
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Nigels Tackle » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:28 pm

his first 22 mins of the season were better than kdb's.
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby phips » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:07 am

i 100% think this will happen, even more so if Sanchez or Mbappe comes (although I think both are highly unlikely).
this 3-5-2 system Pep has used doesnt make room for wingers, especially when Jesus and Aguero play together.
And even if he goes 4-3-3 you'd have to expect Silva, Kevin, Aguero/Jesus, Yaya/Fern/Ilkay to be automatically in and that only leaves 2 spots for Sterling, Sane, and Bernardo, not to mention the Aguero/Jesus and Yaya/Fern/Ilkay ones that aren't picked.

people say there's lots of matches and injuries happen and players will be rotated but a manger will have his favored 11 and, unfortunately, i dont see Sane fitting in that now.
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby PrezIke » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:43 am

phips wrote:

i 100% think this will happen, even more so if Sanchez or Mbappe comes (although I think both are highly unlikely).
this 3-5-2 system Pep has used doesnt make room for wingers, especially when Jesus and Aguero play together.
And even if he goes 4-3-3 you'd have to expect Silva, Kevin, Aguero/Jesus, Yaya/Fern/Ilkay to be automatically in and that only leaves 2 spots for Sterling, Sane, and Bernardo, not to mention the Aguero/Jesus and Yaya/Fern/Ilkay ones that aren't picked.

people say there's lots of matches and injuries happen and players will be rotated but a manger will have his favored 11 and, unfortunately, i dont see Sane fitting in that now.

Pep is not going to use 352 every game, and of course during games will change the formation to 433/4141 as needed which will cater to Sane and Sterling's abilities more.

How does the other formation leave them out when they were playing regularly in it last year? Bernardo might play wide a bit, but he's here to take on as our 3rd/4th top quality roaming 8 or no.10 in various situations (also Gundogan) because we had to rely on a huge drop off in quality last season when KDB or Silva were out, and made them play too many games. KDB was exhausted last year and I think this is a huge reason we signed Silva2. He's versatile, as are almost all of our players, particularly in attack, which isn't a coincidence.

How do you factor Yaya/Fern/Ilkay automatically in? Yaya didn't even play in our first game. Those three will rotate around the pivot, and Ilkay also as a roaming 8. The 433 Pep played included wide attacking players, and Sane and Sterling were the primary one's utilised other than Jesus later on. Bernardo I think can slot in there, but I think Pep prefers him to be central as we are missing goals from wide areas and why he wants Alexis.

Seems a bit early to push panic buttons one game in where we won.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby phips » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:19 am

PrezIke wrote:
phips wrote:

Pep is not going to use 352 every game, and of course during games will change the formation to 433/4141 as needed which will cater to Sane and Sterling's abilities more.

How does the other formation leave them out when they were playing regularly in it last year? Bernardo might play wide a bit, but he's here to take on as our 3rd/4th top quality roaming 8 or no.10 in various situations (also Gundogan) because we had to rely on a huge drop off in quality last season when KDB or Silva were out, and made them play too many games. KDB was exhausted last year and I think this is a huge reason we signed Silva2. He's versatile, as are almost all of our players, particularly in attack, which isn't a coincidence.

How do you factor Yaya/Fern/Ilkay automatically in? Yaya didn't even play in our first game. Those three will rotate around the pivot, and Ilkay also as a roaming 8. The 433 Pep played included wide attacking players, and Sane and Sterling were the primary one's utilised other than Jesus later on. Bernardo I think can slot in there, but I think Pep prefers him to be central as we are missing goals from wide areas and why he wants Alexis.

so we're gonna play without a holding MF? the slashes mean "or". yea Yaya didnt play, Fern did. hence the Yaya/Fern.

i pushed the panic button re: Sane long before the season started.

because for pretty much all of last year Aguero or Jesus played alone for one reason or another. playing them together thus takes away a spot for Sane/Sterling and, i dont know why he would, but i feel like Pep favors Sterling over Sane.

phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby john@staustell » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:54 am

Sane is so unpredictable. Either brilliant or absolutely shocking. If he doesn't become more consistent he'lol be consigned to games against lesser teams.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:09 am

Hasn't Sane played centrally as well as either wing during his time at Schalke?

He played more frequently than Sterling in the second half of last season so where the idea that Pep prefers Sterling comes from I don't know.

I think this wingback system is being honed so it becomes a viable plan B, I don't expect it will be our default formation, although if we keep winning whilst using it it may well do.

Good that we have options, good that theres real competition for places.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby john@staustell » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:11 am

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:Hasn't Sane played centrally as well as either wing during his time at Schalke?

He played more frequently than Sterling in the second half of last season so where the idea that Pep prefers Sterling comes from I don't know.

I think this wingback system is being honed so it becomes a viable plan B, I don't expect it will be our default formation, although if we keep winning whilst using it it may well do.

Good that we have options, good that theres real competition for places.

I think they are both a bit flakey to be honest - there's a time to use them and a time not to. Has to be said that they - especially Raheem - will probably be very effective coming on when the other team is knackered after running around after us for 60 minutes.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby johnny crossan » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:16 am

phips wrote:i pushed the panic button re: Sane long before the season started.

You're absolutely right phips - it's never too early to press the gold plated panic button :lol:

johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby iwasthere2012 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:46 am

johnny crossan wrote:
phips wrote:i pushed the panic button re: Sane long before the season started.

You're absolutely right phips - it's never too early to press the gold plated panic button :lol:

ImageImage
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Sideshow Bob » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:15 pm

phips wrote:

i am still trying to work out whether this new 3-5-2 is more attacking or more defence-minded? with the personnel we played against brighton, it seemed the latter. i dont understand why we're not using that 4-3-3 with jesus, sane and sterling that worked so well until jesus got injured. have we made promises to sergio? tbf he's done well recently, so wtf do i know.
Sideshow Bob
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Jonny Evans

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:24 pm

Sideshow Bob wrote:
phips wrote:

i am still trying to work out whether this new 3-5-2 is more attacking or more defence-minded? with the personnel we played against brighton, it seemed the latter. i dont understand why we're not using that 4-3-3 with jesus, sane and sterling that worked so well until jesus got injured. have we made promises to sergio? tbf he's done well recently, so wtf do i know.

Just a theory, when teams park the bus they restrict space in behind and as a result they nullify the threat of our pacy wingers somewhat, so to counter that we have width from deep with our wingbacks and the extra body in the box means the opposition full backs have to play narrower thus leaving space wide for our wing backs to exploit.

There's more than one way to skin a cat. Mastering different systems will leave the opposition guessing which will make it more difficult for them to organise disciplined defensive systems.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby PrezIke » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:18 pm

Sideshow Bob wrote:
phips wrote:

I think it depends, but generally I think it's meant to be more attacking as the wingbacks are effectively extra midfielders and provide the width.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby PrezIke » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:31 pm

phips wrote:
PrezIke wrote:How do you factor Yaya/Fern/Ilkay automatically in? Yaya didn't even play in our first game. Those three will rotate around the pivot, and Ilkay also as a roaming 8. The 433 Pep played included wide attacking players, and Sane and Sterling were the primary one's utilised other than Jesus later on. Bernardo I think can slot in there, but I think Pep prefers him to be central as we are missing goals from wide areas and why he wants Alexis.

so we're gonna play without a holding MF? the slashes mean "or". yea Yaya didnt play, Fern did. hence the Yaya/Fern.

i pushed the panic button re: Sane long before the season started.

because for pretty much all of last year Aguero or Jesus played alone for one reason or another. playing them together thus takes away a spot for Sane/Sterling and, i dont know why he would, but i feel like Pep favors Sterling over Sane.

No, we will play -- mostly -- with 1 holding midfielder, I suspect.

Fern or Yaya, Gundogan and possibly Danilo if needed.

You pushed the panic button before the season started? Maybe I'll pass you some Xanax, as I trust Pep knows that he needs his players to be happy, but do we want to go back to Pellegrini, because your fears sound an awful lot like his about making his better players happy over everything else (I get why he had to).

Pep benched Kun last season. Some of our fans pushed the panic button as well then. He froze out Yaya, and look at what happened to both of them. Improved their games. Pep is a better motivator and has enough juice and resources to do these things. Sane is young and needs to improve. As is the case with Sterling. It is all too common for young players to have success and then get a bit complacent if they know they will play regardless.

Also, and again, Pep is a very fluid manager with formations and rarely sticks to one. He tries different things that take into consideration winning games, motivating, and developing players. This season he has more flexibility than last and I am far from worried that he does not know how to handle so many good players competing for spots. We will play so many teams with different strengths and weaknesses that relate to our own players' and will utilise them in accordance with this as well.

If I prove to be wrong, so be it, but I think Sane will get plenty of opportunities. Remember he also had nose surgery over the summer, so it is possible he was not recovered fully as I don't think he joined the team at the start of preseason, and we were wondering where he was, I thought.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby littlebig » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:19 pm

Sane is quality, nothing to see here. For sure he will have his ups and downs though and that's just form.
littlebig
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Vinnie Kompany

Postby ruralblue » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:38 pm

Is that twunt not happy enough he winds folks up on the board that he now has to write his posts in multi colour???

Look at me!!!! Look at me. Self important shit.
I haven't a fecking clue what I'm doing! Gillie come back man I want my sig back. As the Photobucket thingy gone?
ruralblue
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: MANCHESTER CITY
My favourite player is: KOMPANY / SILVA

Postby phips » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:52 pm

Leroy Sane has been one of the stars of the Premier League season so far and is likely to be a key figure in the Manchester derby on Sunday. But how did he become so good?

In talking to those who nurtured him at Schalke, Adam Bate retraces Sane's steps to discover a tale of good genes, great talent and an appetite to improve… if he is pushed.

Not everyone was convinced that Leroy Sane had made the right decision. Not even those who knew him well. Those who believed in his talent. Norbert Elgert had a special bond with the player, one that endures to this day. But Manchester City? For £46.5m? The man who had guided his early career in his role as Schalke's legendary youth coach had his doubts.

"I was not sure about the move to Manchester City," Elgert tells Sky Sports. "I thought it was a mistake. I thought it was too early. But I was wrong."

Sane has been sensational for City. He already has six goals and six assists this season - the only player in the Premier League to both score and set up that many. He has done it in style too. Pace and power. Skill and strength. Increasingly, it is his intelligent movement darting in off the flank that stands out too. He can get better. He is getting better.

Some stars are child prodigies but the clues to Sane's potential date back to before his birth. He is the second of three sons born to Senegal international Souleymane Sane and Regina Weber, a rhythmic gymnast who competed in the Olympics for West Germany. "He had the best genes in his body," Schalke's former sporting director Gerhard Zuber tells Sky Sports.

Of course, Sane's parents contributed more than mere genes. The young Leroy used to plead with his father to play football with him and older brother Kim, a fellow youth-team player at both Bayer Leverkusen and Schalke. Souleymane played the role of goalkeeper. As for mother Regina, her bronze medal at the 1984 Olympics remains a source of pride.

Crucially, both parents had the work ethic that comes with being a professional athlete at the highest level, something Elgert feels can hardly be overstated. "There are so many possibilities to help the players," he explains. "But the best player has that mental strength in himself very early because of his parents, his upbringing and his environment.

"It is clear that without real mental strength everything in professional sport is impossible. You can have the best technique and game intelligence, vision and awareness as well being good athletically with strength and speed. But if you do not have mental strength, by which I mean the capability of playing at your best when it matters most, you have no chance."

Sane needed that strength. He did not go to parties as a teenager. His only hobby was the ball. But he did go to Bayer Leverkusen at the age of 14 before returning to Schalke after two seasons. "Schalke made a lot of mistakes in the past but we managed to get him back," says Zuber. "It turned out to be one of the best decisions that we made."

Soon, the young Sane found himself under the care of Elgert. He was part of the Schalke team that became youth champions of Germany in 2015. Appropriately, his final game for the under-19 side came in his home town of Wattenscheid in front of 12,500 fans. Hoffenheim, coached by a young Julian Nagelsmann, were the beaten finalists.

Fond memories for Sane and fond memories for Elgert too. Now 60, the youth coach has been in his role for two decades, playing a pivotal role in the development of World Cup winners Manuel Neuer, Mesut Ozil and Julian Draxler. In other words, he has seen it all. He still regards Sane's talent as something out of the ordinary.

"His athletic ability is exceptional," he says. "His speed, his explosivity. It's fantastic. He has great talent and his attitude was always good. Leroy is a very open and extroverted character. We did have to work a lot during our time on his vision, his awareness and his positional play. But he was always prepared to listen."

Curiously, this view of Sane's willingness to work is not unanimous. "He can be a little bit lazy," says Zuber. "Yes, he is someone who listens, but he needs someone to push him. If you do that, then he performs." Robert Di Matteo was the coach who gave Sane his full Bundesliga debut and it is this image of Sane that chimes most strongly with him.

"He had a bit of a chip on his shoulder," Di Matteo tells Sky Sports. "You could see he was a great talent. A raw talent. He had all the ingredients. I think it was just a question of time for him to develop and become the player he is today. In the beginning, it was a little bit like he knew he was good and he thought that he had already made it.

"I had to make him understand that one game is just the start not the end. He was only young, only 18, so it took a little while, a couple of months, for him to understand that if he wanted to become a regular player he needed to be more humble and learn. That was it. After that you could see the difference. He scored some amazing goals."

Two strikes stand out for Di Matteo. The first was his curled effort against Real Madrid in the Champions League tie away at the Bernabeu. The second was the stunning solo run from his own half to score at Wolfsburg. "One was all about his positioning," Di Matteo explains. "The other was about his decision making and when to take the defender on."

But it was the following season, with Andre Breitenreiter having replaced Di Matteo, in which Sane really made progress. "Breitenreiter was the coach who gave him space on the pitch," says Zuber. "That is why the last year at Schalke was the most important for him. He played regularly, scored goals and was one of the best players in the team."

Arsenal's Sead Kolasinac had been in the Schalke team for Sane's first-team debut against Stuttgart and was also on the pitch for the winger's last game for the club when he signed off - just as he had for Elgert's under-19 side - with a goal in a win over Hoffenheim. "You could see immediately, that Leroy was very quick and talented," Kolasinac tells Sky Sports.

"Leroy is a very good and cheeky guy and we spent a lot of time together. We are still in close contact and I am extremely pleased that things are going so well for him at the moment. He has always been very keen to learn also. That is what helped him make the move to Manchester City."

There are still lessons for Sane to learn. He did not start the season in the City side, with Pep Guardiola even saying that the player "did not deserve" to play after failing to impress during pre-season. It was a reminder that Sane is someone who needs a push occasionally. What's happened since is a reminder that when he gets that push, he invariably responds.

Sane admitted as much in an exclusive interview with Sky Sports in October. "He helped me so much," he said of Guardiola's influence. "I can say he changed my game completely, I improved so much with so many issues, and he still tries to be perfect and to give me pressure. I think I need it too. He reminds me all the time to work more."

These words are not just for the media. "I still have a good relationship with Leroy and whenever I talk to him he always speaks very admiringly about Guardiola," says Elgert. "Leroy is very clear and very open-minded. He understands the way forward. He knows he has made fast progress because he is working with one of the best coaches in the world."

Zuber shares that view and is tipping Sane for even greater things. "It is so good to see him doing well," concludes his old Schalke chief. "He is young and he needs to improve, for sure, but he is on the right path and he has the best coach to take his career to the next level. He just has to work hard. If he does that, he will be one of the best players in the world."

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11679/11157672/leroy-sane-the-making-of-manchester-city8217s-flying-winger

phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby Original Dub » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:29 pm

ruralblue wrote:Is that twunt not happy enough he winds folks up on the board that he now has to write his posts in multi colour???

Look at me!!!! Look at me. Self important shit.

The cunt crops up everywhere because someone ends up quoting him out of disbelief.

He has no understanding of the game at all and is convinced he does. It's a dangerous (combination that.
Original Dub

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum