Johnny Evans

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Johnny Evans

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:38 pm

fangsanalsatan wrote:
Dameerto wrote:
phips wrote:30M for a 4th-string CB. i believe it.

It's the sort of thing we'd do - kinda in Carl's camp about my reaction though. (Even though he apparently ticks a box for onfield leadership which we're short of, and can cover leftback if needed)

Leadership? He shat his pants any time he didn't have an experienced CB next to him when he was at Utd. Overall not an upgrade on Otamendi imo.

If we need an England-trained goon to fill a spot, we should be able to do it either cheaper, younger, less injury prone or any combination of those. If we want to spend north of 30m for somebody with leadership qualities who can handle the pressure in our system and is able to pass the ball, better look for foreign talent, because the homegrown turds floating around in the Premier League aren't going to fare any better than what we have currently.

If it was up to myself, I think I'd even be prepared to forget the requirement for 'fancy footwork' and look for a competent, no-nonsense centre back in the Championship, which we could pick up for a lot less than the fee now being quoted for Evans and who would come without the Scum baggage hanging around his neck like an albatross.

Mind you, relaxing the requirement for 'fancy footwork' might be an argument for Mangala staying ??
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby johnny crossan » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:49 pm

as someone acutely observed in the other place
'So, to put our commercial and scouting acumen into context, JFE was dumped on the market for £8m round about the same time we paid £42m for Mangala. Now we're (reportedly) prepared to pay nearly quadruple for JFE whilst (reportedly) having pay someone to take Mangala of our hands for a year. And at the same time paying £15m p.a. for the world's best coaching.'
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby fangsanalsatan » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:00 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
fangsanalsatan wrote:
Dameerto wrote:

It's the sort of thing we'd do - kinda in Carl's camp about my reaction though. (Even though he apparently ticks a box for onfield leadership which we're short of, and can cover leftback if needed)

Leadership? He shat his pants any time he didn't have an experienced CB next to him when he was at Utd. Overall not an upgrade on Otamendi imo.

If we need an England-trained goon to fill a spot, we should be able to do it either cheaper, younger, less injury prone or any combination of those. If we want to spend north of 30m for somebody with leadership qualities who can handle the pressure in our system and is able to pass the ball, better look for foreign talent, because the homegrown turds floating around in the Premier League aren't going to fare any better than what we have currently.

If it was up to myself, I think I'd even be prepared to forget the requirement for 'fancy footwork' and look for a competent, no-nonsense centre back in the Championship, which we could pick up for a lot less than the fee now being quoted for Evans and who would come without the Scum baggage hanging around his neck like an albatross.

Mind you, relaxing the requirement for 'fancy footwork' might be an argument for Mangala staying ??

I don't know what to tell you, Mikhail. We've currently maxed our foreigner spots, but that includes Bony and Mangala. If we can finally arrange a deal to shift the former, that would be enough for Alexis. Unless we have another foreign player lined up, I don't see why we need to panic buy Evans of all people.

I'm no fan of Mangala, but I feel it would be far more sensible to keep him around as cover if the alternative is to chuck away another 30m for another useless defender.
fangsanalsatan
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of:

Postby Dubciteh » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:14 pm

Mangala in a back four in the middle would be fine, heck hes quick and would actually win us a few headers and tussles unlike Otamendi(remember his debut against costa when we bashed the current champions he was immense). ok his passing is shit but is it worth the money for evans so he can play the odd pass better and giving mangala away? absolutly not. We are talking of a negative net 70m for a 4th choice defender(30m in and 40+lost on mangala) give me a break. Keep mangala and put the rest of this nonsense to bed.
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:16 pm

fangsanalsatan wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
fangsanalsatan wrote:
Dameerto wrote:

I don't know what to tell you, Mikhail. We've currently maxed our foreigner spots, but that includes Bony and Mangala. If we can finally arrange a deal to shift the former, that would be enough for Alexis. Unless we have another foreign player lined up, I don't see why we need to panic buy Evans of all people.

I'm no fan of Mangala, but I feel it would be far more sensible to keep him around as cover if the alternative is to chuck away another 30m for another useless defender.

I find our transfer activities - and this transfer scenario in particular - to be very perplexing, dispiriting and, to some extent, depressing.

We've recently added some fresh, new and potentially exciting talent, although perpetually seeming, in many instances, to be paying well over the odds, in order to eradicate the previous mistakes and shortcomings made. However, in this former Scum character (as well as Sanchez for that matter), we seem to be regressing again and resorting to short-term desperation buying which is doing nothing but wasting money.

At times, it just feels as though we're a ship without a rudder
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby nottsblue » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:18 pm

Dubciteh wrote:Mangala in a back four in the middle would be fine, heck hes quick and would actually win us a few headers and tussles unlike Otamendi(remember his debut against costa when we bashed the current champions he was immense). ok his passing is shit but is it worth the money for evans so he can play the odd pass better and giving mangala away? absolutly not. We are talking of a negative net 70m for a 4th choice defender(30m in and 40+lost on mangala) give me a break. Keep mangala and put the rest of this nonsense to bed.

All day long. Sadly, Pep thinks its night time!
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Mase » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:55 pm

THe Mang actually had Costa and Ibra in his back pocket a few times he played against them. It's madness that we can't develop him!
Last edited by Mase on Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Nick » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:52 pm

Give manga some faith

Pep truly is a chequebook manager, the only gash player he improved was kolorov
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:16 am

There were times last season when we needed a no nonsense defender like Mangler Already watching Otter chuffing along, losing ground on quick forwards,with his chest stuck out and his head in the air is a depressingly familiar sight.
Liverpool have turned down a bid of £25m for that useless lump Sakho(shit). Not that I want to sign Evans, but he suddenly looks a bargain.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby Hazy2 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:49 am

Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:There were times last season when we needed a no nonsense defender like Mangler Already watching Otter chuffing along, losing ground on quick forwards,with his chest stuck out and his head in the air is a depressingly familiar sight.
Liverpool have turned down a bid of £25m for that useless lump Sakho(shit). Not that I want to sign Evans, but he suddenly looks a bargain.

English gets a good amount of goals for centre halfs Scott Dann/And at the same club Craig Dawson. No dramas and as good as the RAG.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Nigels Tackle » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:52 am

breaking news.....

arsenal have bid for evans rejected. wba don't want to sell to a direct rival
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby fangsanalsatan » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:39 am

Breaking: Arsenal
fangsanalsatan
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of:

Postby Original Dub » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:41 am

fangsanalsatan wrote:Breaking: Arsenal

Excellent
Original Dub

Postby nottsblue » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:32 am

Can we get someone to tamper with WBA's fax machine?
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:26 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:breaking news.....

arsenal have bid for evans rejected. wba don't want to sell to a direct rival

For mid table supremacy ??
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby johnny crossan » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:03 pm

PrezIke wrote:
Sideshow Bob wrote:dumb question - would evans count as homegrown? i am clueless about that stuff.

Yes.
Same Lee in his article says we planned for Bertrand but the Alves situation caused us to change plans, spend more money and then be in need of another HG player. (probably also because Delph is off)

Looks like Delph is staying and banking on a squad place via the free list if we sign Evans and keep Sterling as well as Stones & Walker.
Anyway
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby johnny crossan » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:52 pm

johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Blue In Bolton » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:56 pm

johnny crossan wrote:

Please god let this be true!!
Blue In Bolton
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: David White

Postby PrezIke » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:59 pm

Blue In Bolton wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:

Maybe they've scheduled a medical, but I think he prefers to come to us.

I'd think we will have no problem with matching £28m, so I actually now expect him to become a City player.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby johnny crossan » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:01 pm

PrezIke wrote:
Blue In Bolton wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:

Maybe they've scheduled a medical, but I think he prefers to come to us.

I'd think we will have no problem with matching £28m, so I actually now expect him to become a City player.

sadly a fake account - see the spelling of telegraph
this is the real one

https://twitter.com/JPercyTelegraph
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum