Raheem Sterling

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Raheem Sterling

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:52 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:Sterling is typical winger. They will go through patches. He is quality player though and will have more good games than bad over the season. I wiuld hate to compare him to Sane. They are both excellent and couple of bright spots and promise for better future in otherwise pretty poor season (apart from the first few months)

Both Sterling and Sané looked terrific playing alongside Jesus, just a short time ago before Jesus got crocked and they all seemed to be enjoying their football together.

I just wonder if it's also something to do with the chemistry which seemed to spring up between those three, a chemistry which might not be quite the same when Aguero is playing ??

Obviously, this is all supposition and I'm not criticising Aguero in any shape or form, but it was refreshing to see what our three youngsters looked as though they might, conceivably, bring to the team in spite of, as you say, the vagaries and inconsistencies that wingers can exhibit 'per se'.

Remember when Pep was moaning about Aguero and praising G-Sus saying Aguero doesn't understand what he wants from an attacker? What he was talking about was, and this is something VERY Spanish, concept of positive and negative playing stance/position. Now to make this concept VERY simple (it's really a fairly sophisticated philosophy) it means that when player is facing opposition goal when receiving the ball he is in "positive position" and when he is back against the goal he is in negative stance. Now negative doesn't necesserily mean bad but in Spanish ideology attacking players should always try to receive the ball in positive playing position and only when forced should receive the ball in negative stance.

Thing is both Sane and Sterling seem to favour positive stance pretty naturally as does Jesus whereas Aguero has always played lot of football back against the goal eventhough he is excellent player going forward as well.

Just check any La Liga game for an example and watch the attacking players both strikers and wide players and compare it to English game. You will see players in Spain almost forcefully choosing the positive playing stance (even when it doesn't seem like right thing to do) compared to Premier League players.

I think that natural compatability with Sane and Sterling make them look better together.

This is also the reason why Pep was always so full of praise of Arjen Robben. He is the ultimate player for this ideology.

Interesting post NQDP.

Is this particular concept widespread throughout Europe, or even world-wide, or is it primarily a Spanish/Latin way of thinking ??
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:03 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:Sterling is typical winger. They will go through patches. He is quality player though and will have more good games than bad over the season. I wiuld hate to compare him to Sane. They are both excellent and couple of bright spots and promise for better future in otherwise pretty poor season (apart from the first few months)

Both Sterling and Sané looked terrific playing alongside Jesus, just a short time ago before Jesus got crocked and they all seemed to be enjoying their football together.

I just wonder if it's also something to do with the chemistry which seemed to spring up between those three, a chemistry which might not be quite the same when Aguero is playing ??

Obviously, this is all supposition and I'm not criticising Aguero in any shape or form, but it was refreshing to see what our three youngsters looked as though they might, conceivably, bring to the team in spite of, as you say, the vagaries and inconsistencies that wingers can exhibit 'per se'.

Remember when Pep was moaning about Aguero and praising G-Sus saying Aguero doesn't understand what he wants from an attacker? What he was talking about was, and this is something VERY Spanish, concept of positive and negative playing stance/position. Now to make this concept VERY simple (it's really a fairly sophisticated philosophy) it means that when player is facing opposition goal when receiving the ball he is in "positive position" and when he is back against the goal he is in negative stance. Now negative doesn't necesserily mean bad but in Spanish ideology attacking players should always try to receive the ball in positive playing position and only when forced should receive the ball in negative stance.

Thing is both Sane and Sterling seem to favour positive stance pretty naturally as does Jesus whereas Aguero has always played lot of football back against the goal eventhough he is excellent player going forward as well.

Just check any La Liga game for an example and watch the attacking players both strikers and wide players and compare it to English game. You will see players in Spain almost forcefully choosing the positive playing stance (even when it doesn't seem like right thing to do) compared to Premier League players.

I think that natural compatability with Sane and Sterling make them look better together.

This is also the reason why Pep was always so full of praise of Arjen Robben. He is the ultimate player for this ideology.

Interesting post NQDP.

Is this particular concept widespread throughout Europe, or even world-wide, or is it primarily a Spanish/Latin way of thinking ??

Because of Spains/Barcelona's success it's all the rage in coaching circles evrywhere. In Spain they start correcting playing stances from as early as six year olds. That and so called arch movement which creates positive playing stance in off the ball movement. You will talk with any professional coach anywhere in the world and these are the two terms coined.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:15 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:

Interesting post NQDP.

Because of Spains/Barcelona's success it's all the rage in coaching circles evrywhere. In Spain they start correcting playing stances from as early as six year olds. That and so called arch movement which creates positive playing stance in off the ball movement. You will talk with any professional coach anywhere in the world and these are the two terms coined.

Thanks for that chum.

The next time England are playing, I'll have to break my normal habit of avoiding watching them, just to see the extent that Mr Southgate has taken this concept onboard, as exemplified by his team selection and style of play............Uuugghh, on second thoughts though, I don't think I'll bother :roll: :roll: :roll:
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby johnny crossan » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:31 am

Is he suspended for the game at Feyenoord? He got a second yellow against Monaco last time out apparently.

UEFA CL Article 49 Yellow and red cards

49.01 As a rule, a player who is sent off the field of play is suspended for the next match
in a UEFA club competition (i.e. UEFA Champions League, UEFA Europa League or
UEFA Super Cup). In case of serious offences, the UEFA Control, Ethics and
Disciplinary Body is entitled to augment this punishment, including by extending
it to other competitions.
49.02 In case of repeated cautions:
a. before the group stage, a player is suspended for the next competition match
after three cautions in three different matches, as well as after the fifth
caution;
b. from the first match in the group stage, a player is suspended for the next
competition match after three cautions in three different matches, as well as
following any subsequent odd-numbered caution (fifth, seventh, ninth, etc.).
49.03 Single yellow cards and pending suspensions are always carried forward either to
the next stage of the competition or to the UEFA Europa League in the current
season.
49.04 Exceptionally, all yellow cards and pending yellow-card suspensions expire on
completion of the play-offs. They are not carried forward to the group stage. In
addition, all yellow cards expire on completion of the quarter-finals. They are not
carried forward to the semi-finals.
49.05 Cautions and pending yellow-card suspensions from the competition or the UEFA
Europa League expire at the end of the season.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Tokyo Blue » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:01 am

johnny crossan wrote:Is he suspended for the game at Feyenoord? He got a second yellow against Monaco last time out apparently.

49.05 Cautions and pending yellow-card suspensions from the competition or the UEFA

Doesn't look like it according to this.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby johnny crossan » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:29 am

Tokyo Blue wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:Is he suspended for the game at Feyenoord? He got a second yellow against Monaco last time out apparently.

that's what I thought when perusing the twitterings this morning that he was banned - thanks TB :D
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Tokyo Blue » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:29 pm

johnny crossan wrote:
Tokyo Blue wrote:

that's what I thought when perusing the twitterings this morning that he was banned - thanks TB :D

We could both be wrong, mate. :lol:
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Original Dub » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:51 pm

"Raheem and Jordan are at different ends of the scale," Gerrard added. "Jordan's so professional, he's a winner, a great lad.

"I don't think there's a more fitting player to take that armband off me. I see a lot of my game in Jordan's game and what I like about him is he's very humble."
Original Dub

Postby aaron bond » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:32 am

Original Dub wrote:"Raheem and Jordan are at different ends of the scale," Gerrard added. "Jordan's so professional, he's a winner, a great lad.

"I don't think there's a more fitting player to take that armband off me. I see a lot of my game in Jordan's game and what I like about him is he's very humble."

"He's a winner."

Lol
aaron bond
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby sheblue » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:27 am

aaron bond wrote:
Original Dub wrote:"Raheem and Jordan are at different ends of the scale," Gerrard added. "Jordan's so professional, he's a winner, a great lad.

"He's a winner."

Lol

Cunty comments by a slippery bitter sour cunt.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby johnny crossan » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:25 am

Starts today I hope.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby nottsblue » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:28 pm

Another goal today. Not the end product yet in terms of finishing and ball control. But he is learning all the time and is getting better all the time
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Original Dub » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:48 pm

Original Dub

Postby aaron bond » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:32 am

Original Dub wrote:http://www.itsroundanditswhite.co.uk/2017/09/27/raheem-sterling-talented-englishman-keeps-producing/

Nice article to read.

The only part which isn’t true is that the City fans love him.

I’m a big Raheem fan but unfortunately he still gets a raw deal from many of our own fans. You can hear the groans of the crowd if he makes a mistake, which no one else in our squad gets. It’s like so many have bought into the media/Liverpool bile spouted about him.

But he never lets his head drop. He’s had a fantastic start to the season and is a big part of why we are playing so well.
aaron bond
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby sheblue » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:53 am

aaron bond wrote:
Original Dub wrote:http://www.itsroundanditswhite.co.uk/2017/09/27/raheem-sterling-talented-englishman-keeps-producing/

Nice article to read.

I’m a big Raheem fan but unfortunately he still gets a raw deal from many of our own fans. You can hear the groans of the crowdif he makes a mistake, which no one else in our squad gets. It’s like so many have bought into the media/Liverpool bile spouted about him.
But he never lets his head drop. He’s had a fantastic start to the season and is a big part of why we are playing so well.

Thing is its fact that he has made that mistake a little too often when he shouldn't have, and the way he plays it draws attention. Its not all down to the disgusting media witch hunt, that the majority of city fans can see beyond.
The future for him is bright, he is still relatively young and he will improve that side of his game. It looks like the manager has confidence in him to improve where he has to, and thats all that matters.
There is no doubting his talent, skill, attitude and character, its just he needs to improve in some ways and he will.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:00 am

sheblue wrote:
aaron bond wrote:

Nice article to read.

I’m a big Raheem fan but unfortunately he still gets a raw deal from many of our own fans. You can hear the groans of the crowdif he makes a mistake, which no one else in our squad gets. It’s like so many have bought into the media/Liverpool bile spouted about him.

Thing is its fact that he has made that mistake a little too often when he shouldn't have, and the way he plays it draws attention. Its not all down to the disgusting media witch hunt, that the majority of city fans can see beyond.
The future for him is bright, he is still relatively young and he will improve that side of his game. It looks like the manager has confidence in him to improve where he has to, and thats all that matters.
There is no doubting his talent, skill, attitude and character, its just he needs to improve in some ways and he will.

That's not true at all, like others have pointed out on here, there's just as many mistakes and indecision in Sané's game but there is more tolerance for some reason. It's a good thing that tolerance is there for Sane but the same should apply across the board to all of our young players.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Nickyboy » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:00 am

The writer is a rag fan too which makes it even more refreshing
Nickyboy
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Dubciteh » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:28 am

Cant believe he is only 22 seems like he has been around forever, for 22 his talent is frightening.
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID

Postby dazby » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:05 pm

The problem is that people ignore his history and expect him to finish every time. Every dipper fan I spoke to when he signed said "he'll frustrate you." If I got that then surely you guys would have got double at least.

There's one thing worse than a forward missing chances. A forward not getting chances. His 1 in 3 strike rate is better than any 0 chances rate.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Nigels Tackle » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:46 pm

dazby wrote:The problem is that people ignore his history and expect him to finish every time. Every dipper fan I spoke to when he signed said "he'll frustrate you." If I got that then surely you guys would have got double at least.

There's one thing worse than a forward missing chances. A forward not getting chances. His 1 in 3 strike rate is better than any 0 chances rate.

i'd wager that he converts a higher % of chances than aguero and jesus.
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum