City sign 20 year old American Erik Palmer-Brown?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

City sign 20 year old American Erik Palmer-Brown?

Postby JamieMCFC » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:32 am

Sporting Kansas City and U.S. under-20 international Erik Palmer-Brown has signed a pre-contract with Manchester City, a source has confirmed to ESPN FC.

Metro first reported the news, stating that Palmer-Brown had signed a four-and-a-half year contract.

Palmer-Brown, 20, will finish out the current season with SKC and join up with Man City in January, after his current contract expires. He is then expected to spend the rest of the 2017-18 European season on loan.

SKC manager Peter Vermes told the Kansas City Star that the MLS team had made a contract offer to Palmer-Brown to keep him in Kansas City, but it likely couldn't compete with the wages that a club like Man City could offer.

"We believed we made him a very good offer in MLS," Vermes said.
Palmer-Brown signed for SKC out of the club's academy back in 2013, making just 18 appearances over the course of five seasons. But Palmer-Brown had been on the radar of European clubs for some time.

He spent the 2016 campaign on loan with Portuguese side Porto, making a total of 17 appearances with the club's B team.

With Matt Besler and Ike Opara preferred at center-back, Palmer-Brown has only made four MLS starts this season.

Palmer-Brown also captained the U.S. U-20 side that won the 2017 CONCACAF championship, and later reached the quarterfinals of the 2017 FIFA U-20 World Cup, where it lost in extra time to eventual finalist Venezuela.

http://www.espnfc.us/story/3201452/spor ... act-source
JamieMCFC
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC

Re: City sign 20 year old American Erik Palmer-Brown?

Postby JamieMCFC » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:34 am

I wonder where we are going to send him out on loan. He can't go to NYCFC due to weird MLS roster rules.
JamieMCFC
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Fidel Castro » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:00 am

Another jokeshop CFG signing
Fidel Castro
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:10 am

Fidel Castro wrote:Another jokeshop CFG signing

Aaron Mooy likes this.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Swales4ever » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:13 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
Fidel Castro wrote:Another jokeshop CFG signing

Aaron Mooy likes this.

kinda both, maybe.

can't be worse than Otamendi to play Pep's soccer, tho.
I used to have great faith in Tosin, but what I saw in preseason hasnt impressed much, as age progress.

any CB help is welcome in other words, while that spaniard wonderkid signed this summer gets adult.

1. "unintelligible language"
2. "ACID QUEEN"
3. "never once fails to turn a football thread into a himseelf thread"
4. "thumbs stalker often resulting in repetitive thumb strain"
5. ignore the cunt. he's on permantent wum mission. only TIDs may know City

You'd need to make a very good psychiatrist in order to guess what next in a eight yrs long line of hatred...

In Roger Ailes/Donnie Drumpf's words: "don't know it for a fact, but many people say so..."
there must be some truth, then!
Swales4ever
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Sharia for Spafia
My favourite player is: an intelligent one

Postby PrezIke » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:05 pm

Aaron Mooy was already 25 years old, so potential is limited where as Erik Palmer-Brown is 20 so not quite the same thing. No one is going to get too carried away with the signing, but he does have potential:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/09/ ... -elsewhere

Palmer-Brown has a ton of potential – he could end up being really good. But there's no doubt he's going out on loan. This is similar to the gambit Matt Miazga took after the 2015 season, when he signed off on a transfer from RBNY to Chelsea for $5 million. He made two appearances for the Blues in the spring of 2016 and has spent the bulk of the last 15 months on loan with Vitesse Arnhem of the Eredivisie...

If he excels – and he's definitely good enough to do so – then perhaps he'll end up scoring himself a loan to Girona for 2018/19, or maybe 2019/20. And if that goes well, then maybe he'll end up, one day, wearing Sky Blue and playing at the City of Manchester Stadium.

They speculate NAC Breda with Angelino.

He could make it, but higher chance of not. Either way not so sure Mooy is really the right comparison and I actually think some of us are too dismissive of our "lesser" signings as just cash makers. I think there is overwhelmingly the case, with maybe 1 or 2 exceptions I can think of that there is some feeling these players could make the team.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:15 pm

I wasn't comparing him to Mooy ability wise Prez, my point was we turned an excellent profit on Mooy so these types of signings aren't "jokeshop".
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby PrezIke » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:50 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:I wasn't comparing him to Mooy ability wise Prez, my point was we turned an excellent profit on Mooy so these types of signings aren't "jokeshop".

I see. My misunderstanding.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Justified logic » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:05 pm

Celtic I reckon.
Justified logic
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:29 pm

PrezIke wrote:Aaron Mooy was already 25 years old, so potential is limited where as Erik Palmer-Brown is 20 so not quite the same thing. No one is going to get too carried away with the signing, but he does have potential:

Palmer-Brown has a ton of potential – he could end up being really good. But there's no doubt he's going out on loan. This is similar to the gambit Matt Miazga took after the 2015 season, when he signed off on a transfer from RBNY to Chelsea for $5 million. He made two appearances for the Blues in the spring of 2016 and has spent the bulk of the last 15 months on loan with Vitesse Arnhem of the Eredivisie...

If he excels – and he's definitely good enough to do so – then perhaps he'll end up scoring himself a loan to Girona for 2018/19, or maybe 2019/20. And if that goes well, then maybe he'll end up, one day, wearing Sky Blue and playing at the City of Manchester Stadium.

He could make it, but higher chance of not. Either way not so sure Mooy is really the right comparison and I actually think some of us are too dismissive of our "lesser" signings as just cash makers. I think there is overwhelmingly the case, with maybe 1 or 2 exceptions I can think of that there is some feeling these players could make the team.

What sort of player is he Prez ??

Is he a Pep style ball playing centre back (from the linked article where it described him playing in midfield, I'm surmising this is the case), or is he a tough tackling, no-nonsense, non-Pep style defender (which I wouldn't mind if he were) and what's he like with the ball in the air ??
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Moonchesteri » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:07 am

NAC, Girona and NYCFC are going to benefit from this fella for one season at each before we loan him out to Italian team in relegation battle with obligation to buy at price of 1mil if they stay up, 0,5mil if they go down

So excited about this signing!
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Swales4ever » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:58 pm

or maybe not.
few seems to know. might be a winter surprise

2. "ACID QUEEN"

You'd need to make a very good psychiatrist in order to guess what next in a eight yrs long line of hatred...

In Roger Ailes/Donnie Drumpf's words: "don't know it for a fact, but many people say so..."
Swales4ever
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Original Dub » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:01 pm

Farmer Brown?
Original Dub

Postby JamieMCFC » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:45 pm

Moonchesteri wrote:NAC, Girona and NYCFC are going to benefit from this fella for one season at each before we loan him out to Italian team in relegation battle with obligation to buy at price of 1mil if they stay up, 0,5mil if they go down

He can't play for NYCFC even on loan. Sporting KC still own his rights in MLS.
JamieMCFC
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Swales4ever » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:54 pm

Today's CityWatch reckons the lad will follow the Zinchencko path and go on "development" loan at PSV, as he won't get a straight work permit.

By no means I am an immigration law expert, but I guess, should the Rags' arse be at stake, an USA International would get a work permit in UK, one way or another... :o :(

2. "ACID QUEEN"

Swales4ever
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby JamieMCFC » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:05 pm

Swales4ever wrote:By no means I am an immigration law expert, but I guess, should the Rags' arse be at stake, an USA International would get a work permit in UK, one way or another... :o :(

Under the new point system I highly doubt he would get a work permit with the rags either. He has 0 caps with the national team.
JamieMCFC
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Swales4ever » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:29 pm

JamieMCFC wrote:
Swales4ever wrote:By no means I am an immigration law expert, but I guess, should the Rags' arse be at stake, an USA International would get a work permit in UK, one way or another... :o :(

Under the new point system I highly doubt he would get a work permit with the rags either. He has 0 caps with the national team.

ta, Jamie. my immigration gutt feelings stand properly corrected.
shame because, dont ask me why, but I have a positive vibe on this rednecks' lad.

still I find weird that the captain of US team winner of the Under 20 Continental Championship, can get a work permit in the Netherlands, but not at the home of his historical ancestors.

2. "ACID QUEEN"

Swales4ever
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Moonchesteri » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:25 pm

JamieMCFC wrote:
Moonchesteri wrote:NAC, Girona and NYCFC are going to benefit from this fella for one season at each before we loan him out to Italian team in relegation battle with obligation to buy at price of 1mil if they stay up, 0,5mil if they go down

How is that even possible if we signed him (couldn't be arsed to check if this bullshit deal actually went through)? Bonkers
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby JamieMCFC » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:14 pm

Moonchesteri wrote:
JamieMCFC wrote:

How is that even possible if we signed him (couldn't be arsed to check if this bullshit deal actually went through)? Bonkers

So the league structre for MLS is different. CFG does not own NYCFC they own shares in the league and are investors - operators of NYCFC. All player contracts are with the league and not the individual teams. So if MCFC where to loan him they would be loaning him back to the league. Under MLS roster rules if a player transfers to a team outside of the league the team he left retains his rights. So when he comes back to the league he has to play for that team.
JamieMCFC
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby PrezIke » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:57 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
PrezIke wrote:Aaron Mooy was already 25 years old, so potential is limited where as Erik Palmer-Brown is 20 so not quite the same thing. No one is going to get too carried away with the signing, but he does have potential:

What sort of player is he Prez ??

Is he a Pep style ball playing centre back (from the linked article where it described him playing in midfield, I'm surmising this is the case), or is he a tough tackling, no-nonsense, non-Pep style defender (which I wouldn't mind if he were) and what's he like with the ball in the air ??

TBH, Mikhail, don't watch too much MLS other than the occasional NYCFC match, but as far as I understand he is more of a ball playing type of centre half, and top USA prospect, who is athletic/physical enough (he's 6' 1"), has a decent first touch, some passing ability, and is the current captain for the USA U-20s where he won the Golden Ball in the CONCACAF U-20's Championship (as I see some have alluded to).

The more I am learning about him the more I can see why we signed him as a potential CB for the first team in the coming seasons, not just someone to earn profits for CFG, which is clearly another option.

USA fans are pretty excited about him as there is a LONG thread that was started in 2014 on the Big Soccer forum (my go to for USA player info) when Sporting KC reportedly turned down multiple offers from Juventus, one at least $1m, for him. He ended up going on loan to Porto for the 2nd half of the 2015-2016 season, whilst MLS was in their close season, and played some games for the Porto "B" team where he was allegedly the "main standout" in their academy.

Here's an interview with him after he came back from being on loan at Porto last season where he comes across as quite a bright young man, apparently currently studying psychology at the university level, saying he is interested in being a sports psychologist after his football career:

Watch on youtube.com

The most recent video I can find of his skills is before he went to Porto in February 2016:

Watch on youtube.com
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum