EDS/Academy Games

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: EDS/Academy Games

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:40 pm

I don't rate Simon Davies as manager of the EDS ( He may be good as what do I know) but it cant be that easy when he plays teams , like tonight, where 3 of the key players don't train with the squad! Foden, Diaz and Tosin train with the first team at least most of the time and they were this week as shown on Inside City.

That can't help things can it?
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby johnny crossan » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:24 am

Maffeo post Barca 0-3 defeat

"Messi asked me a couple of things: if I was on loan from Man City and how old I was," he said

"He was very humble. We were talking because I was stuck to him the whole match. There were no bad feelings or anything funny. He's the best player in the world and if you don't stick to him, he can score at any moment.

"I had to be with him and to stop him touching the ball. It's difficult, not just in terms of the football, but psychologically. I am grateful for the confidence the coach showed in me."

Source | ESPN
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Justified logic » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:17 am

johnny crossan wrote:Maffeo post Barca 0-3 defeat

"Messi asked me a couple of things: if I was on loan from Man City and how old I was," he said

"He was very humble. We were talking because I was stuck to him the whole match. There were no bad feelings or anything funny. He's the best player in the world and if you don't stick to him, he can score at any moment.

"I had to be with him and to stop him touching the ball. It's difficult, not just in terms of the football, but psychologically. I am grateful for the confidence the coach showed in me."

Source | ESPN

May not have stopped him touching the ball but Messi didn't score in this match after getting 11 goals in his previous five games.

Did anyone get the chance to watch the game? How did our five do?
Justified logic
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Justified logic » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:34 am

Yesterday, Feyenoord 0 - 2 NAC Breda, with Pablo Mari, Angelino, (Horsfield), Manu Garcia and Ambrose all starting.
Justified logic

Postby mr_nool » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:15 pm

Justified logic wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:Maffeo post Barca 0-3 defeat

Source | ESPN

May not have stopped him touching the ball but Messi didn't score in this match after getting 11 goals in his previous five games.

Did anyone get the chance to watch the game? How did our five do?

I watched the first half. Maffeo, Luiz and Garcia were playing. Luiz looks very promising and ran the midfield for Girona. Garcia was struggling a bit, getting caught in possession. Maffeo did his defensive duties well, but naturally didn't get the chance to go forward being up against Messi and Suarez.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby Justified logic » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:21 pm

Thanks Mr N!
Justified logic

Postby Justified logic » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:02 pm

Bump

Justified logic wrote:Tuesday's UEFA Youth League game will be shown live on BT Sport.

Justified logic

Postby Tokyo Blue » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:47 pm

1-0, Latibeaudiere header from a corner. Got a lot of power on it considering he was moving away from goal when he headed it. Good finish.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby gmercer1 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:39 pm

2-1 City.
Missing loads of chances....could come back to bit us in the ass!
gmercer1
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Aguero

Postby gmercer1 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:51 pm

Finished 3-1 City
gmercer1
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Aguero

Postby nottsblue » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:51 pm

3-1 it's finished
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Justified logic » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:08 pm

I don't know why we played so narrow when they packed the central area. I thought the youths were supposed to be playing the same style as the first team.
Justified logic

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:42 am

Justified logic wrote:I don't know why we played so narrow when they packed the central area. I thought the youths were supposed to be playing the same style as the first team.

Did it look likewe played narrow? Garre was wide left and Matondo wide right and both seemed to stay there from what I saw. Matondo is a flyer and tried hard to get past his man . Garre too in his own way but I don't really think he is a winger even tho that's the role he has for now. The big difference to the first team is the lack of full back support down the flanks.

We lined up with a back 4 with Garcia and Davenport as full back but very quickly it turned into a back 3 with 2 holding midfield players as Davenport switched into the middle with Matt Smith. it was a 3.2.4.1. It was very rare that any of the back 3 or even the back 5 got very far forward.That was until the excellent sortie from Francis where he made the 2nd goal.

All in all a good performance against a good technical side but like the 1's we should have scored more. When SD pushed forward more from 2 down we had so many good situations and just didn't make the most of them till the last minute to kill the game off.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Justified logic » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:10 am

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
Justified logic wrote:I don't know why we played so narrow when they packed the central area. I thought the youths were supposed to be playing the same style as the first team.

Did it look likewe played narrow? Garre was wide left and Matondo wide right and both seemed to stay there from what I saw. Matondo is a flyer and tried hard to get past his man . Garre too in his own way but I don't really think he is a winger even tho that's the role he has for now. The big difference to the first team is the lack of full back support down the flanks.

We lined up with a back 4 with Garcia and Davenport as full back but very quickly it turned into a back 3 with 2 holding midfield players as Davenport switched into the middle with Matt Smith. it was a 3.2.4.1. It was very rare that any of the back 3 or even the back 5 got very far forward.That was until the excellent sortie from Francis where he made the 2nd goal.

All in all a good performance against a good technical side but like the 1's we should have scored more. When SD pushed forward more from 2 down we had so many good situations and just didn't make the most of them till the last minute to kill the game off.

Well they, and Garre in particular, weren't exactly hugging the touchline waiting to receive the ball. I thought we could have stretched their defence more than we did as it was pretty crowded where we tried to play through in the central area.
Justified logic

Postby Justified logic » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:41 pm

Tonight's u23 game against Everton is supposed to be live on Facebook from 18:45.

If you find the link, let me know!

Justified logic

Postby Justified logic » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:47 pm

Justified logic

Postby iwasthere2012 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:00 pm

0-3 defeat.
Didn’t look very cohesive, from the 25 minutes I saw.

Camera work was terrible also.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:45 pm

Interesting game I thought. As usual we seemed to have a team of kids and their's was full of adults. I would love to know what the average ages of the two teams were as the difference in size and power of the teams seemed massive. Maybe Everton were quite young as well but they were just physically so different.

Everton are a good strong side though and not just big and they pressed us high right from the off so the nature of the game was plain from the start. But after 15 , 20 minutes or so I though we were getting the hang of it and working a few things out.

Then it happened. We gave the ball away poorly and they just broke away and scored. I felt whoever was in the right back position on the break got it badly wrong allowing their guy to cut in to shoot. grimshaw made a decent save but couldnt knock the ball away and it gave a tap in.

their 2nd goal was a screamer of a free kick ( Garbutt has been in the first team squad) but it was a poor free kick to give away. We did have some chances. Diaz, Duheaney 1 or 2 and Garre. Maybe we even had more chances than they did but overall it kind of felt like Everton were the stronger side.

Strange second half. I cant acyually remember Everton attacking much or our keeper making any save at all but they scored on a breakaway where the keeper was rounded afree we again gave the ball away in a bad area. Again we had chances and at least two of them were golden chances. One where Diaz skinned a guy raced to the box slipped it wide and then got onto a perfect return only to shoot over.The other was again Diaz inspired but Diallo's header was knocked off the line.

I still don't like Davies and was concerned at the way we set up. Davenport was the holding mid which is fine but the 2 midfielders either side of him were Smith and Diallo. For me both those two play much better as holding mids and they really struggled to get hold of anything in midfield. Partly I am sure down the the way Everton attacked the ball ( dogs of war style) but also I felt they lacked the nous for the roles they were asked to play.

Maybe it's not Davies's fault and they were just being given a challenge and experience. Our hopes therefore were on Garre on the left and Diaz on the right and both for me did pretty well. Diaz is a talent as we all know and he was the one providing the main threat but Garre is growing on me. I think his energy and effort have improved massively since he arrived and he certainly has ability.

The other main attacking player was Gonzalez but he was just unable to get into the game at all. Big learning game for him as strong defenders just blew him away. He will be back.

Matt Smith who has been a star so often in games I have seen maybe had his least effective game to date. I watched him quite a bit and he didn't seem to be showing for passes when the back line needed an outlet and went to the front line too early.

Tosin I liked tonight. Decent on the ball, good pace when needed and defended well.I didnt think he was at fault for their third goal ( maybe partly). Cant say the same for Oliver.

And a word on the ref. I thought he was awful and very petty from the start.One of those who likes it to be about him . Hope I dont see him again.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Justified logic » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:05 pm

Thanks for the excellent report, as ever, Doug.

I suggest you make a note of this URL for the u23s league.

http://uk.soccerway.com/national/englan ... on/r43195/

(There are similar links for the u18s, WSL, and the various cups - see on LHS - and the UEFA Youth League - see under 'Club International (60)' on the grey bar near the top.)

If you want to know the ages of the players, note their names in the City v Everton game - follow the 'i' link (the site also includes some match stats on the game page) and then click on 'Everton' to see the squad. The squad is at the end of the club page and for some leagues will also be on the RHS.
Justified logic

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:53 am

Thanks for that. Average ages of the starting 11's were City 18 and Everton 21. It showed
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum