TV money

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

TV money

Postby Fidel Castro » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:47 am

Apparently Spafia are at the forefront of trying to get the distribution of tv money changed. They want the "big 6" to get a bigger proportion. It's quite shameful imo and don't like the road our club are going down with this. We are becoming everything I despised about the likes of barca, rags and bayern
Fidel Castro
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City

Re: TV money

Postby Justified logic » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:55 am

Is it true that City are leading this?

For those not yet aware, the proposal is to distribute 35% of the foreign TV money (equal to about £1bn over 3 years and likely to increase over time) amongst the 20 teams according to their finishing position in the PL table.

Totally disagree with their proposed distribution model. Should be a level allocation as it takes all 20 teams to make the league one in which anyone can beat anyone.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

EDIT: forgot to state that the £1bn is over 3 years. Got the facts from the Daily Wail so, y'know, subject to independent confirmation.
Last edited by Justified logic on Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Justified logic
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Paul68 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:02 am

Justified logic wrote:Is it true that City are leading this?

For those not yet aware, the proposal is to distribute 35% of the foreign TV money (equal to about £1bn and likely to increase over time) amongst the 20 teams according to their finishing position in the PL table.

Totally disagree with their proposed distribution model. Should be a level allocation as it takes all 20 teams to make the league one in which anyone can beat anyone.

Well done sir! good post. why the fuck should one club get more than another?
I wish there was a way to know you are in the good old days....before you've actually left them...
Paul68
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: All the 17-18!

Postby Wonderwall » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:45 am

They need 14 out of the 20 clubs to agree. I hope 5 of them are strong enough to stick together and screw this deal. I want it fair and square for all clubs. It's becoming like la Liga.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:49 am

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... ix-tv-cash

The Premier League’s six richest clubs are facing stubborn resistance against their efforts to seek a greater share of income from the next multibillion‑pound round of TV deals.

In a plan believed by the 14 others to be supported by Manchester United, City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur, the Premier League is proposing to end the system by which money from international TV rights sales is shared equally by all 20.

Richard Scudamore, the Premier League’s chairman, is understood to have presented a proposal to a meeting of the other 14 clubs held at the Pullman hotel in London on Wednesday, for 35% of the next international TV money to be distributed according to “merit” – in other words, where clubs finish in the league.

That would be a major change to the arrangement which has operated by agreement since the original 1992 breakaway of the then First Division clubs to form the Premier League, which was itself motivated by the bigger clubs no longer wanting to share TV money with the Football League’s other three divisions.

Income from international TV rights 25 years ago was negligible, so the clubs agreed to share that money equally, while only a third of British TV income is divided equally, the other two-thirds shared according to where clubs finish in the league and how many times they are shown on television.

Now, though, the Premier League’s popularity has made it prime content for burgeoning pay-TV operations around the world, delivering approximately £3bn to the 20 clubs in the 2016-19 round of deals. That bonanza added to the £5.1bn from the competition between Sky and BT for British subscribers, plus other highlights deals, makes a total of £8.4bn in the current three-year cycle.

The distribution of TV money last season showed that the champions Chelsea received £151m in total while bottom-placed Sunderland were paid £93m, but the booming international income was shared equally, the 20 receiving £39m apiece. The so-called “big six” clubs argue that as the global revenue rises, as it is expected to again when the 2019-22 deals start to be negotiated later this year, they should receive a larger share because they are the ones which international viewers tune in to watch.

The other 14 clubs have been resisting these moves, in an effort to hold on to their equal share of the money. They are arguing that the sharing arrangement helps them to sign high-quality players and keep the league, as Scudamore describes it, “competitive and compelling” and therefore attractive on TV. Three of the smaller clubs are said to have been inclined at the meeting to agree the new 35% merit payment arrangement, but the agreement of 14 is needed to effect such a substantial change, and 11 remain firmly opposed.

A meeting of all clubs has been called for next Wednesday in London to finalise what the sharing arrangements will be.

-------------------------------

Why is there one rule for domestic TV money and another for international TV money? Should be the same for both.
Last edited by Foreverinbluedreams on Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:59 am

Oh and another thing, where's the proof that City are at the forefront of this? I've no doubt we're up there pushing for it with the rest of the clubs that compete in Europe annually but it just seems convenient that it's City and Soriano mentioned as the driving force.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Dubciteh » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:51 am

fuck it we are rich now, lets cement our place for the rest of our lives and bring it in :P
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Wooders » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:40 am

We get more viewers than other teams so we should get more money - simple business really
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby aaron bond » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:44 am

It’s saddening that we appear to at the forefront of this. It was only 10 years ago that we would have suffered from this type of change.

We have a huge turnover already from our commercial deals and the existing TV deals. We can easily maintain the status quo regarding the distribution of international TV rights money and still have some of the highest spending power in world football.

Although I’m astounded why any club out of the so-called ‘big 6’ would vote for this!

Hopefully this does not go ahead.
aaron bond
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby littlebig » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:01 pm

Don't like this if true. Greedy leveraging of ones power to the detriment of the greater good (prem lge). Short term gain.
littlebig
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Vinnie Kompany

Postby Justified logic » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:09 pm

Wooders wrote:We get more viewers than other teams so we should get more money - simple business really

Think how much more we'd get then if people could watch us playing with ourselves. :?
Justified logic
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby nottsblue » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:49 pm

Not a fan of this. Hope it doesnt happen.
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby phips » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:50 pm

hope this doesnt pass. dont need another La Liga here.
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:02 pm

To all those against this proposal, what are your thoughts on the way the domestic TV money is distributed in the PL? Should that be the same model too? Just an equal share across the board regardless of number of times shown live and position?
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Swales4ever » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:21 pm

Justified logic wrote:
Wooders wrote:We get more viewers than other teams so we should get more money - simple business really

Think how much more we'd get then if people could watch us playing with ourselves. :?

Is it that really Wooders' point?
Don't the likes of Everton or even neo-promoted Brighton, to name those opponents proved harder to past through, get good enough shares to provide solid challenge, from domestic rights?
How much of that, previously "negligible" , fat purse comes out of MCFC investments on flamboyant football, or rags mythological hundred billions fan base (for what worth)?

as much as unpopular it is, Wooders' is entirely THE point, mate.
Merit based distribution of wealth is by large and far the less imperfect system.

You don't wanna live where senior brain surgeons or education spreading accademics get, at best, double basic pay than the laziest municipality gardener, I can tell you out of aware conscience.
Last edited by Swales4ever on Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1. "unintelligible language"
2. "ACID QUEEN"
3. "never once fails to turn a football thread into a himseelf thread"
4. "thumbs stalker often resulting in repetitive thumb strain"
5. ignore the cunt. he's on permantent wum mission. only TIDs may know City

You'd need to make a very good psychiatrist in order to guess what next in a eight yrs long line of hatred...

In Roger Ailes/Donnie Drumpf's words: "don't know it for a fact, but many people say so..."
there must be some truth, then!
Swales4ever
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Sharia for Spafia
My favourite player is: an intelligent one

Postby sheblue » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:23 pm

Wonderwall wrote:They need 14 out of the 20 clubs to agree. I hope 5 of them are strong enough to stick together and screw this deal. I want it fair and square for all clubs. It's becoming like la Liga.

If they do need 14 from 20 then surely its a doomed proposal. Why would any of the clubs who are expected to finish outside of the top 10 even consider voting for this?
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Dameerto » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:30 pm

If they start fucking with the TV money it's a slippery slope - it takes two teams to play a match anyway (and 20 teams to make a competitive league). If we are one of the clubs pushing for this I will be very disappointed. This is like something I'd expect from Trafford Utd.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Swales4ever » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:39 pm

Dameerto wrote:If they start fucking with the TV money it's a slippery slope - it takes two teams to play a match anyway. If we are one of the clubs pushing for this I will be very disappointed. This is like something I'd expect from Trafford Utd.

I respect by default knightly values, and my opinion on Spafia was always adamant but, lke or loathe, football is no longer a contest of parishes, it's a major industry, and accordingly it works.

English domestic Tv Rights bargain is the most fair in Europe , thus world, and provides enough funds to keep the league most competitive.
Additional earnings should be shared on merit base, as goes in every industrial competitive field, imo.

1. "unintelligible language"
2. "ACID QUEEN"
3. "never once fails to turn a football thread into a himseelf thread"
4. "thumbs stalker often resulting in repetitive thumb strain"
5. ignore the cunt. he's on permantent wum mission. only TIDs may know City

You'd need to make a very good psychiatrist in order to guess what next in a eight yrs long line of hatred...

In Roger Ailes/Donnie Drumpf's words: "don't know it for a fact, but many people say so..."
there must be some truth, then!
Swales4ever
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Sharia for Spafia
My favourite player is: an intelligent one

Postby Tokyo Blue » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:58 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:To all those against this proposal, what are your thoughts on the way the domestic TV money is distributed in the PL? Should that be the same model too? Just an equal share across the board regardless of number of times shown live and position?

Yes.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:02 pm

Tokyo Blue wrote:
Foreverinbluedreams wrote:To all those against this proposal, what are your thoughts on the way the domestic TV money is distributed in the PL? Should that be the same model too? Just an equal share across the board regardless of number of times shown live and position?

Yes.

Fair enough, so why is it I never hear any complaints about this model? In fact it's held up by many as an example for other leagues to follow because of the fairness of it.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum