TV money

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: TV money

Postby Abu Dhabi » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:56 am

Dameerto wrote:
Abu Dhabi wrote:
Dameerto wrote:
Nickyboy wrote:Isn't the prize money funded by the UK TV revenue?

Not that I know of. Why would it be? It often gets talked about in the same sentence by the media, maybe that's why you're thinking it?

It actually is. What else would it be?

Premier League revenue in all it's forms - so sponsorship amongst other things.

Commercial revenue only accounts to 4% of payments made to clubs. Last season it was distributed equally, with each team getting around £4.8M, hardly prize money.
Viva El City
Abu Dhabi
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: The Citizens

Postby Dameerto » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:24 pm

There's no league sponsor at the moment (or last season) so I'm not surprised the figure is low. Are you saying they wont be using league sponsorship revenue as part of their prize fund in the future?
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Abu Dhabi » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:02 pm

There are a few league sponsors. The league is apparently moving from title sponsor to category sponsors. Barclays was still the banking sponsor of the PL last year, along with different other category sponsors, which contributed 95M.

The previous season Barclays title sponsorship fee was 40M.

In any case, 40M or 150M, its still nothing compared to TV money, which in fact funds the prize money.
Viva El City
Abu Dhabi
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Postby edge275 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:46 pm

Pull the draw bridge up. Let the others drown.
"Like all bullies, they've just found out that there is a much bigger guy in town, someone who is richer and more powerful than their worst nightmare. And this smiling Arabic assassin is intent on stealing all the treasures they've nicked off everyone else, and pulverising them into commercial and footballing oblivion as he does so."
edge275
pot noodle style supporter
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Mike Lingo

Postby Chinners » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:56 pm

It's great that the majority of our supporters are against our club pursuing this. The former 'big 5/6' used to shyte upon us when we were yo-yoing between the divisions and I hate the way we now seem to want to do the same to other clubs.
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Postby Dameerto » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:17 pm

Abu Dhabi wrote:There are a few league sponsors. The league is apparently moving from title sponsor to category sponsors. Barclays was still the banking sponsor of the PL last year, along with different other category sponsors, which contributed 95M.

The previous season Barclays title sponsorship fee was 40M.

In any case, 40M or 150M, its still nothing compared to TV money, which in fact funds the prize money.

Makes sense, I guess - about the branding - like 'The NFL' it will be 'The Premier League'. I know their other revenue is a drop in the ocean compared to media but it didn't make sense why it wouldn't be included with the media money when handing it out. (And it still doesnt).
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Abu Dhabi » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:08 pm

I dont really think it is handed out in the same sack, just a matter of media reporting. Team X eventually got 150M; 40M from this and 30M from that etc... but it is not distributed in one go. A lot of the predetermined amounts come in in instalements before the season is finished I would assume.
Viva El City
Abu Dhabi
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Postby CrownPointBlue » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:43 pm

Chinners wrote:It's great that the majority of our supporters are against our club pursuing this. The former 'big 5/6' used to shyte upon us when we were yo-yoing between the divisions and I hate the way we now seem to want to do the same to other clubs.

It changed when Sheikh Mansour saved us mate.

We are now a fabulous sports business winning trophies in style with world class players agin clubs who tried to ridicule & screw us.

Don't feck with The Sheikh. He who laughs last .......!!
CrownPointBlue
Robinho's Step Over

My favourite player is: Yaya Toure

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:14 am

Jesus, how many of our fans sound exactly like rags?. This is everything that is wrong with modern football. It's the system that was used to cripple us for years. I was always proud we weren't one of the clubs fucking over the rest of football. And now we're in bed with the bastards.
Last edited by Piccsnumberoneblue on Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:16 am

Peter Doherty (AGAIG) wrote:
Mase wrote:Everyone hates us so fuck it!! West Brom fans and the like booing Sterling last season for no reason? Sound, we'll take all your money then. Wankers.

Don't forger when we pull up the draw-bridge we'll be stuck inside the castle with the scum, the dippers, the tarquins and spuds. Now, that is one fucking stench you wouldn't want in your nostrils.

Spot on
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Socrates » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:43 am

Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:Jesus, how many of our fans sound exactly like rags?. This is everything that is wrong with modern football. It's the system that was used to cripple us for years. I was always proud we weren't one of the clubs fucking over the rest of football. And now we're in bed with the bastards.

The balance has changed massively since then Piccs. The bottom club gets a ridiculous amount of money even if they are completely shit. A small restructuring would make it more competitive through the season not less. There is nothing rag-like about wanting more competition. Putting the facility fees into prize money wouldn't necessarily benefit the bigger clubs either.
Manchester : New York : Melbourne : Yokohama
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: st marks (gorton)

Postby Mase » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:44 am

Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:Jesus, how many of our fans sound exactly like rags?. This is everything that is wrong with modern football. It's the system that was used to cripple us for years. I was always proud we weren't one of the clubs fucking over the rest of football. And now we're in bed with the bastards.

Ironically accusing people of sounding exactly like rags is a rag-ish thing to do.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:26 am

Mase wrote:

Ironically accusing people of sounding exactly like rags is a rag-ish thing to do.

Bullshit, these are the same arguments I heard from rags ten, fifteen or twenty years ago. Dress it up how you like, but "people want to watch us most" Is very raggish, as is, "we've invested"
The bigger share we may get, would help create the closed shop we all detested. That's what this is about, not competition within the league.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:07 am

Chinners wrote:It's great that the majority of our supporters are against our club pursuing this. The former 'big 5/6' used to shyte upon us when we were yo-yoing between the divisions and I hate the way we now seem to want to do the same to other clubs.

This is exactly how I think about this particular 'circus'.

City are - and, indeed should always be - better, more honest and more principled than an other Club, simply because we're City and that's what we are. We can't be grubbily and nauseatingly trying to climb upon such a despicable gravy train.

"The more you handle pitch, the more you become besmirched by it"
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby CrownPointBlue » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:36 am

Rag ......behave yourself lad.

Your response seems excitable & emotional & not well reasoned.

You seem not to understand the proposal. Have you actually read it .......and then re read it ?

Rag......home,away & abroad since 1958.
CrownPointBlue
Robinho's Step Over

My favourite player is: Yaya Toure

Postby Nickyboy » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:49 am

Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:
Mase wrote:

Bullshit, these are the same arguments I heard from rags ten, fifteen or twenty years ago. Dress it up how you like, but "people want to watch us most" Is very raggish, as is, "we've invested"
The bigger share we may get, would help create the closed shop we all detested. That's what this is about, not competition within the league.

I don't think it should be distributed more to the teams that are watched more. I think a decent percentage should be divided up on merit for league finishing position. Just cos clubs call themselves the top 6 there is no guarantee they're going to finish that high (look at Liverpool and United recently).

I think there should be a real incentive for finishing that one spot higher, will make the league more competitive.
Nickyboy
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:39 pm

If we really wanted a level playing field and competitive league, we should reverse the proposal for TV money and give clubs more the lower they finished in the league.

(Runs away).
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Dameerto » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:44 pm

Abu Dhabi wrote:I dont really think it is handed out in the same sack, just a matter of media reporting. Team X eventually got 150M; 40M from this and 30M from that etc... but it is not distributed in one go. A lot of the predetermined amounts come in in instalements before the season is finished I would assume.

That makes sense.
VIVA EL CITIES

Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Chinners » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:21 pm

CrownPointBlue wrote:

It changed when Sheikh Mansour saved us mate.

We are now a fabulous sports business winning trophies in style with world class players agin clubs who tried to ridicule & screw us.

Don't feck with The Sheikh. He who laughs last .......!!

Yes, yes it did change, some of it fantastically. Shitting on other clubs thou is a low point for me .... not to you thou by the sounds of it
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:50 pm

CrownPointBlue wrote:

Rag ......behave yourself lad.

Your response seems excitable & emotional & not well reasoned.

You seem not to understand the proposal. Have you actually read it .......and then re read it ?

Rag......home,away & abroad since 1958.

Next you'll be supporting a form of FFP because it suits us now we have a ton of cash in earnings.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum