xmas eve football

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

xmas eve football

Postby Nigels Tackle » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:43 am

it's not often that i find myself in agreement with one of politicians but this is guy is right

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41533575
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Re: xmas eve football

Postby Beefymcfc » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:17 am

They're fucking barm-pots, expecting families to be apart on Xmas Eve with probably no national transport options in place. Good for the single person is some ways but the same applies, how do they get back?

We're saturated with football nowadays and it's just another way for Sky to get their Sky 3 teams in the spotlight.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby BlueinBosnia » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:39 am

I always liked how rugby union (don't know if it's the same for league) arranged its derbies on Boxing Day, to minimize travel for away fans. Think it would be a nightmare to police for football, though...
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby zuricity » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:16 pm

BlueinBosnia wrote:I always liked how rugby union (don't know if it's the same for league) arranged its derbies on Boxing Day, to minimize travel for away fans. Think it would be a nightmare to police for football, though...

local derby wouldn't work , would it ? Rags fans need to get back to london jojo.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby nottsblue » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:31 pm

PL clubs can't moan about this. They are quite happy to take the billions of pounds on offer in broadcasting revenue. Thus when the piper calls the tune they have to dance.

Whether it is a good thing for fans we shall see. Christmas Eve is just another working day for millions of people. Having a sporting event on this day is no different to other dates in that regard. Where it could (and knowing the FA, where it will fall down) is in the fixture planning and time of KO. There will be very little public transport after 6ish. You can see that games will be scheduled where the finish is later than this. One of the fixtures mooted I believe is the dippers at Arsenal. A three hour plus drive at least with no trains likely after mid afternoon back to dipperland. This would be very wrong to have this as a fixture.

But for example a London derby or say Manchester v Stoke with minimal travel wouldn't be a bad thing IMO. Another issue is the Boxing Day fixtures. Presumably those clubs playing on the 24th then don't play on the 26th. Do they play on the 27/28th? Does this then impact New Years fixtures?

In short, the idea of extra games is something the clubs can't control but the FA need to be sensible about the fixtures. And I wouldn't trust that shower of idiots to get it right at all
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Dameerto » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:42 pm

It's a bad thing for any fan relying on public transport. I could probably stretch to a cab though, if I got to wear a sky blue Christmas jumper to a game.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:47 pm

Newcastle on Boxing Day is catastrophic. No trains on the best lash up of the season.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby Nigels Tackle » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:07 pm

Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:Newcastle on Boxing Day is catastrophic. No trains on the best lash up of the season.

blame the fucking train drivers unions mate.
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby zuricity » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:47 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:
Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:Newcastle on Boxing Day is catastrophic. No trains on the best lash up of the season.

Every country in Europe has trains running over xmas .... triple the Rail
staffs money on those two days. They'll all turn up for work
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:05 pm

zuricity wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:

We have had "frost protection" in the past at treble time. You get very few takers. Time off at Xmas is imprtant. We already run a full service on NYE and New Years Day. It's a bit pointless running round with hardly anybody on all morning on those days without adding Xmas and Boxing Day.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby zuricity » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:22 pm

Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:
zuricity wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:

We have had "frost protection" in the past at treble time. You get very few takers. Time off at Xmas is imprtant. We already run a full service on NYE and New Years Day. It's a bit pointless running round with hardly anybody on all morning on those days without adding Xmas and Boxing Day.

Everyone knows the rail system closes down . If it stayed open , it would be used. It is everywhere else.
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Beefymcfc » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:54 pm

nottsblue wrote:PL clubs can't moan about this. They are quite happy to take the billions of pounds on offer in broadcasting revenue. Thus when the piper calls the tune they have to dance.

Whether it is a good thing for fans we shall see. Christmas Eve is just another working day for millions of people. Having a sporting event on this day is no different to other dates in that regard. Where it could (and knowing the FA, where it will fall down) is in the fixture planning and time of KO. There will be very little public transport after 6ish. You can see that games will be scheduled where the finish is later than this. One of the fixtures mooted I believe is the dippers at Arsenal. A three hour plus drive at least with no trains likely after mid afternoon back to dipperland. This would be very wrong to have this as a fixture.

But for example a London derby or say Manchester v Stoke with minimal travel wouldn't be a bad thing IMO. Another issue is the Boxing Day fixtures. Presumably those clubs playing on the 24th then don't play on the 26th. Do they play on the 27/28th? Does this then impact New Years fixtures?

In short, the idea of extra games is something the clubs can't control but the FA need to be sensible about the fixtures. And I wouldn't trust that shower of idiots to get it right at all

I'm up for it, I'll just get a dodgy stream in the background ;-)
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Return to The Maine Football forum