What does Bernardo do?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: What does Bernardo do?

Postby johnny crossan » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:16 pm

aaron bond wrote:
patrickblue wrote:Give him a break, he's hardly played.
He'll come good.

Exactly.
It’s incredible so many people can make an informed decision on his ability based on this season.
He’s hardly played and when he does play it’s usually coming on as a sub.
He was superb for Monaco and that’s what we can judge him on so far. We are playing phenomenal football at the moment and no one deserves to be dropped so he’ll find his chances limited for now.
Only once he’s had a run of games starting will we be able to make a full judgement.

Hold hard there chaps. We're entitled to our opinions based on what we've seen so far - however premature you consider them or how wrong they may turn out to be over a longer period.

Most of those on here who are currently unconvinced about Bernardo are quite prepared to revise their judgement in the light of more positive evidence but there does need to be a lot more of it.

We know he's not played that much and we know he was in impressive form with Monaco but the fact remains that those abilities have not been shown for us yet.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby freshie » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:52 pm

johnny crossan wrote:
aaron bond wrote:
He'll come good.

Exactly.
It’s incredible so many people can make an informed decision on his ability based on this season.
He was superb for Monaco and that’s what we can judge him on so far. We are playing phenomenal football at the moment and no one deserves to be dropped so he’ll find his chances limited for now.
Only once he’s had a run of games starting will we be able to make a full judgement.

Hold hard there chaps. We're entitled to our opinions based on what we've seen so far - however premature you consider them or how wrong they may turn out to be over a longer period.

Most of those on here who are currently unconvinced about Bernardo are quite prepared to revise their judgement in the light of more positive evidence but there does need to be a lot more of it.

We know he's not played that much and we know he was in impressive form with Monaco but the fact remains that those abilities have not been shown for us yet.

He's hardly had a chance to showcase his skills apart from a handful of starts and a few cameo appearances off the bench. Are you playing devil's advocate JC? It would not surprise me ;)
freshie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby johnny crossan » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:00 pm

freshie wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:
aaron bond wrote:
He'll come good.

Exactly.

He's hardly had a chance to showcase his skills apart from a handful of starts and a few cameo appearances off the bench. Are you playing devil's advocate JC? It would not surprise me ;)

I'm genuinely undecided but did you notice Pep's post match comments about his 90 minutes against Feyenoord. Really quite defensive and by saying 'he had a very good game' when it was clear to all he didn't shows the tension between expectation and the current reality. Also, referring to his effective role in successful game management in the last 10 minutes away at Napoli, said more about his shortcomings on Tuesday night.
Last edited by johnny crossan on Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Patrick » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:00 pm

If John Macken had played under Pep, he would have won the golden boot in his second season.... fact

It will take Bernie the same time to become the next Silva
Standing in the Naughty Corner since 1961
Patrick
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Citeh
My favourite player is: Joe Hart

Postby hartfordsheartbeat » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:47 pm

There's a reason we haven't seen much of him so far. He's not as good as whats starting in front of him.
hartfordsheartbeat

Postby Swales4ever » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:54 pm

this thread has entirelly the potential to make the KK's original "Top of the Classics" fades.

Bernie is a playmaker, who accasionally can be lined on the flank, despite lacking the bursting pace of a top winger.
For one reason or another, which I am not to argue, the Boss seems to like the idea of having the action on the flanks as preliminary background to any apprentice playmaker... might be wrong here, just saying.

He shall come very good and, given time, shall learn how to fill the hole that BIg Dave is gonna leave in a couple of seasons. remember first impressions on Leroy, anyone?

1. "unintelligible language"
2. "ACID QUEEN"
3. "never once fails to turn a football thread into a himseelf thread"
4. "thumbs stalker often resulting in repetitive thumb strain"
5. ignore the cunt. he's on permantent wum mission. only TIDs may know City

You'd need to make a very good psychiatrist in order to guess what next in a eight yrs long line of hatred...

In Roger Ailes/Donnie Drumpf's words: "don't know it for a fact, but many people say so..."
there must be some truth, then!
Swales4ever
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Sharia for Spafia
My favourite player is: an intelligent one

Postby Plain Speaking » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:51 am

I hope he can make it with us. He was magnificent for Monaco at the Etihad. It must be frustrating for him to get so little game time but Pep sees all the players in training and we must trust him. Yaya said Pep was angry after the Feyenord game for the "lazy" performance, I assume he meant the team in general?

You would imagine there would be much more rotation with all the games coming up, fingers crossed he can find his mojo then.
Plain Speaking
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Justified logic » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:18 am

Plain Speaking wrote:I hope he can make it with us. He was magnificent for Monaco at the Etihad. It must be frustrating for him to get so little game time but Pep sees all the players in training and we must trust him. Yaya said Pep was angry after the Feyenord game for the "lazy" performance, I assume he meant the team in general?

You would imagine there would be much more rotation with all the games coming up, fingers crossed he can find his mojo then.

The thing is they all have to be at it. If one player is lazy, slow, sloppy, lackadaisical or however you want to describe it, then the whole team becomes "lazy". Everyone needs to be sharp on the pitch or be out of the team for someone who is.
Justified logic
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Manchester City

Postby johnny crossan » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:56 pm

good lad - tweets well :D
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:09 pm

Much better tonight. Lovely ball for the opener.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby City64 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:30 pm

Just needs games , very good tonight . Must be difficult trying to break into a team this good , no doubting his talent though .
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
Supporter of: Manchester City

Postby budfox » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:14 pm

Top player, glad to have him.
budfox
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Kev

Postby phips » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:51 am

today was the best he's played.

i feel like he's going to get swallowed up here through no fault of his own. its hard for any midfielder to shine when you've got KDB and Silva in the side. there's only one ball.
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:29 am

Thought he played well today. My only thought otherwise was that he kept cutting back on this left to cross and yet we’ve moved sterling to the left where he’s usually less effective? Maybe a bit more flank swapping would help them both?
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Mase » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:48 am

phips wrote:today was the best he's played.

i feel like he's going to get swallowed up here through no fault of his own. its hard for any midfielder to shine when you've got KDB and Silva in the side. there's only one ball.

Sterling And Sanè seem to be doing fine.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby nottsblue » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:23 am

Mase wrote:
phips wrote:today was the best he's played.

Sterling And Sanè seem to be doing fine.

To be fair, neither Sane nor Sterling hit the ground running. They are integral to the side now but it can take a player time to find his feet in a new club/team and surroundings. B Silva is still very young and is getting used to the pace of both the PL and our team and style. There haven't been many games this season where the opposition have had much of the ball and chances. We are playing a style of football not seen before so it's understandable for a newcomer to shine straight away.

He will come good, I for one am convinced of that
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby mr_nool » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:32 am

He looked very good last night, although he sometimes seems to rush the last pass or shot. Perhaps he's too eager to impress.
You could see the same thing with Zinchenko last night. The lad was aching to get involved, but most of the game just passed him by. When he finally got the ball, it really seemed like he tried hard to restrict himself and play it simple instead to try to impress with an action. One time he couldn't contain himself and ripped a shot off that landed in row z.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby Tokyo Blue » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:58 am

He's not "very young". He's 23 and has got 22 caps for his country, so let's not treat him like a kid learning his craft because he clearly isn't.

He started to look the part last night v Swansea. There is more to come I think. I certainly hope so. But if he doesn't show more than he has so far this season, he might not be anywhere near the team for the foreseeable future, as the likes of Phil Foden and Brahim Diaz are well-placed to take their chance when it comes.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Slim » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:44 am

I think he has the talent to be a top player in this league. I think a lot of people are going to want to edit their posts soon.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby gmercer1 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:11 pm

Slim wrote:I think he has the talent to be a top player in this league. I think a lot of people are going to want to edit their posts soon.

I agree..............the poor lad hasn't had a run in the team yet. He has something special and will prove it in years to come
gmercer1
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

My favourite player is: Aguero

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum