December is a Season defining Month

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: December is a Season defining Month

Postby zabbadabbado » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:15 pm

Sideshow Bob wrote:id gladly sacrifice the league cup and FAC in order to rest key players for PL and CL. a loser's mentality perhaps, but i'd rather be a loser with 1-2 big pots than a "winner" with none.
I wouldnt say it was a losers mentality.More like being realistic.We have to rotate,hopefully we will still win.If we dont,it still dont change the fact it is imperetive we rotate, or we will most certainly pay a heavier price.
Last edited by zabbadabbado on Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zabbadabbado
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: man city
My favourite player is: KDB

Postby zabbadabbado » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:20 pm

City64 wrote:The next 2 upcoming home games this week are season defining for me , then we can go to the swamp and rip the rags a new one !
I am hoping the Rags get done at Watford tonight.I said on another thread i might have a flutter,all thats putting me off is i have not won on a football bet for about 2 years now :lol: :lol: :lol:

My be better for us me not having a bet :lol: :lol:
zabbadabbado
De Jong's Tackle

Postby zabbadabbado » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:28 pm

South Stand Balti wrote:I'm taking one game at a time. I've been kicked in the dick far too often to be thinking the league could be over soon. If we dominate for the next 20 years I may just start to feel confident.
I know what you mean mate.We have form for capitulating over the festive period/winter.This must be at the back of Guardiola mind.The good thing is 6 of those regular starters are gone from last season.it is pretty much a different unit, with a good team spirit and togetherness.Even if we do have a bad result,hopefully that fragile mentality has gone,we wont capitulate like seasons past.Thats my thinking anyway.If we do have one bad result,it might actually be a kick up the arse,(reverse Psychology at work. :lol: :lol: )
zabbadabbado
De Jong's Tackle

Postby phips » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:33 pm

apparently we have the 2nd easiest league schedule in December based solely on current league position of our opponents.
the avg position is 13th.

Club Avg. position of opponent
1 Southampton 7.71
2 Brighton 7.86
=3 Newcastle 8.29
=3 West Ham 8.29
5 Man Utd 9.00
6 Leicester 9.14
7 Burnley 9.43
8 Huddersfield 9.57
9 Tottenham 10.00
=10 Bournemouth 10.43
=10 Crystal Palace 10.43
12 West Brom 11.29
13 Swansea 11.43
14 Stoke 12.00
=15 Arsenal 12.14
=15 Everton 12.14
=15 Watford 12.14
18 Liverpool 12.43
19 Man City 13.29
20 Chelsea 13.43

however, facing relegation opponents is usually easy:

Manchester City face all three sides who sit in the relegation zone ahead of the weekend's action. Having dropped just two points all campaign, Pep Guardiola's side can dare to dream of taking their unbeaten run into 2018, but facing teams fighting for their lives, as well as Manchester United and Tottenham, makes it a mammoth task for the odds-on title favourites.
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby The Maine Man » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:22 pm

Original Dub wrote:
Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
sheblue wrote:Yes December is a tough month for ALL teams, I expect us to come through it about as good as anybody else in the same situation. We might loose 1 or 2 but so will most of the others.
If were 15 points clear with 5 to go then its time to assume the title, but not until then. Its still one game at a time for me and this stuff about going the season unbeaten is complete rubbish. Its virtually impossible in the current structure of the PL andI wish the goons in the media would give it a rest.

It's what they do best Sheblue, it was the same last season, they built Pep up after the opening games, talk of quadruples and what not just so they could stick the boot in when he failed to live up to the standards they set for him.

Unfortunately quite a few City fans got caught up in that media drivel and also stuck the boot in.

Indeed they did mate.

It was fucking embarrassing for the most part.

Including a lot on here. Lots of humble pie to be eaten.
The Maine Man
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Vincent Kompany

Postby johnny crossan » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:04 am

freshie wrote:I can see the rags dropping points in their next 2 away fixtures to Watford and Arsenal. The season could be over before the derby

On the other hand......:)
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby freshie » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:19 pm

johnny crossan wrote:
freshie wrote:I can see the rags dropping points in their next 2 away fixtures to Watford and Arsenal. The season could be over before the derby

That’s my predictions over for the season. Time for me to zip it!
freshie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:06 pm

freshie wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:

That’s my predictions over for the season. Time for me to zip it!

A sage posture to adopt chum.

I'm doing the same with the weekly game prediction threads to avoid ultimate embarrassment :oops: :oops:
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby nottsblue » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:37 pm

freshie wrote:
nottsblue wrote:
City64 wrote:The next 2 upcoming home games this week are season defining for me , then we can go to the swamp and rip the rags a new one !

Though it's still earlyish days, win the next two and I think other teams will actually give up on the title and focus on making sure they finish top 4. IF we have 14 wins from 15 games and are still 8/10/12 points ahead then we really would need to throw it away not to win it.

Most seasons 90 points is enough, if not a little less. We would then need 47 points from 23 games, basically an average of two points a game, very achievable. And when we beat the SCUM at the swamp even that dick at Betfred will pay out

I can see the rags dropping points in their next 2 away fixtures to Watford and Arsenal. The season could be over before the derby

Sadly, by some good fortune and the Tarquins being Tarquins, the season is not over. But I think my logic of needing 90 points to win it will not be far off the mark. Thus the requires 47 points should be very gettable. God forbid the rags turn us over on Sunday, we are still five ahead of them. I think everyone connected with City would've taken that at the start of the season. And of course the prize for victory is then to be 11 clear.

The old adage of you don't win trophies at Xmas is of course very true. But you can be out of the running. Spurs, Arsenal and dippers are already realistically out of the running and playing for fourth. That leaves the rags and Chelsea. Should we go 11 clear then that is a huge gap to claw back. The mindset of the chasing pack may well change from one of let's go for wins every game to claw back a gap because they'd have to, to one of containment to make sure they don't lose ground in the race for fourth. Perfect example was Huddersfield away. Pep took off a defender for an attacker to win. Conte and certainly Mourinho would maybe settle for a point in that type of game rather than risking losing.
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby City64 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:49 pm

No pressure on us whatsoever on sunday ALL THE PRESSURE is on the RAGS they have to deliver or the title is as good as gone . The media wont call it as this fact but the fact is it is FACT ! 8-) :lol: 8-) :D
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum