Pre Match Thread | Rags v City

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Pre Match Thread | Rags v City

Postby nottsblue » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:56 am

Shakermaker90 wrote:They need to win more than us. I'd love to beat them, but a draw would be fine really. There's more pressure on them than there is us. this piece puts it quite well...

https://www.otbfootball.net/manchester- ... -like-pep/

Mourinho has to attack, he can't pack the bus and that means the game will be more open, which suits us down to the ground.

I don't think Mourinho would quite see it that way. He is very stubborn and just last season publicly gave up on the chase for fourth in the PL. I think he knows the rags can't/won't catch City so a draw for him is a good result. They won't lose much ground in the race to finish in the top 4. This will be the same for the other teams in that chasing pack as well, with teams happy to take the draw to avoid falling further back. This can only be good news for us though.
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Wonderwall » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:47 pm

nottsblue wrote:
Shakermaker90 wrote:They need to win more than us. I'd love to beat them, but a draw would be fine really. There's more pressure on them than there is us. this piece puts it quite well...

Mourinho has to attack, he can't pack the bus and that means the game will be more open, which suits us down to the ground.

I don't think Mourinho would quite see it that way. He is very stubborn and just last season publicly gave up on the chase for fourth in the PL. I think he knows the rags can't/won't catch City so a draw for him is a good result. They won't lose much ground in the race to finish in the top 4. This will be the same for the other teams in that chasing pack as well, with teams happy to take the draw to avoid falling further back. This can only be good news for us though.

I think we will see them set up to go for a high press for the first 15 mins and go balls out to nick a goal. If that works expect the low block tactic like they did against Arsenal for the remaining 75 mins. However if we get the first goal, the Hoofball will commence to the elbow squad.
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Dimples » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:30 am

Had a look at the Ars vs. Rags highlights again. Very encouraging for us. No matter who starts as striker and no matter what way Rags play we will create a hat full of chances. Logic says we win a high scoring game by 2 or 3. I am going to place a bet maybe 2-4 or 1-3. to us.
Dimples
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester city
My favourite player is: Sterling

Postby Dimples » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:30 am

Had a look at the Ars vs. Rags highlights again. Very encouraging for us. No matter who starts as striker and no matter what way Rags play we will create a hat full of chances. Logic says we win a high scoring game by 2 or 3. I am going to place a bet maybe 2-4 or 1-3. to us.
Dimples
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester city
My favourite player is: Sterling

Postby RodneyRodney » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:47 am

Both Kun & Jesus have been wank last few games ; very encouraging, 'cos it means one/both are due for scorcher at the swamp
(. . . probs Jesus with it being on a Sunday) .
"Our planet is a BLUE planet" - Sir David Attenborough
RodneyRodney
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester; Patriots
My favourite player is: Enzo Francescoli

Postby bluemoon » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:52 am

Dubciteh wrote:Tricky game and i have a bad feeling, in theory we should smash them but they have gotten very lucky lately.

If we find it hard to break down the teams in the last three games, utd playing the same tactics and make no mistake they will, with better players will make it difficult for us. They are also unbeaten at home since we beat them last year so over a year.

I would give anything for a win, even a horrible win. A win will more than certainly see us crowned champions in May.

Ditto these feelings... My biggest concern is the form of Jesus and Aguero in front of goal. In fairness to Jesus he's still put in a shift more often than not even if he's been a little goal shy. Aguero is the bigger concern though, before the crash, we were seeing him emerge as the all round perfect striker, almost tevez like at times but since his return he's been way below par. Ball just bounces of him in and around the 18 yd box, decision making way off and shooting not far off corradi levels. Maybe I'm being too harsh and they're saving themselves for Sunday. Who starts Sunday? Jesus for me.
bluemoon
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:06 am

Wonderwall wrote:
nottsblue wrote:

I think we will see them set up to go for a high press for the first 15 mins and go balls out to nick a goal. If that works expect the low block tactic like they did against Arsenal for the remaining 75 mins. However if we get the first goal, the Hoofball will commence to the elbow squad.

My thoughts exactly
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Nigels Tackle » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:24 pm

could the weather put the game at risk??

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/mobile/warnings/nw

heavy snow sunday....
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Hazy2 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:34 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:could the weather put the game at risk??

heavy snow sunday....

the scum are praying for snow, it is the only hope of a touch of a ball......
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Original Dub » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:39 pm

Hazy2 wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:could the weather put the game at risk??

heavy snow sunday....

the scum are praying for snow, it is the only hope of a touch of a ball......

Beautiful mate.
Original Dub

Postby South Stand Balti » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:43 pm

Pep saying he wanted Vince to play last night but Vince said he felt some discomfort. I'll feel some discomfort if Mangala is the option. If that is the case I'd be putting Fern at CB but not sure who could take over in midfield.
South Stand Balti
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:50 pm

South Stand Balti wrote:Pep saying he wanted Vince to play last night but Vince said he felt some discomfort. I'll feel some discomfort if Mangala is the option. If that is the case I'd be putting Fern at CB but not sure who could take over in midfield.

I'd park the bus rather than play Mangala.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby nottsblue » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:18 pm

To be fair to Mangla, if he were up against Lukaku with a remit of stick tight to him and don't let him have the ball, then he would do that very well. Lukaku would then be taken out of the game and a big part of the rags game nullified
nottsblue

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby South Stand Balti » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:20 pm

Peter Doherty (AGAIG) wrote:
South Stand Balti wrote:Pep saying he wanted Vince to play last night but Vince said he felt some discomfort. I'll feel some discomfort if Mangala is the option. If that is the case I'd be putting Fern at CB but not sure who could take over in midfield.

I'd park the bus rather than play Mangala.

I don't think we have a bus, mate.
South Stand Balti

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby johnny crossan » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:06 pm

Significant accumulations of the white stuff by kick off - in the bleak midwinter :roll:
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:28 pm

johnny crossan wrote:Significant accumulations of the white stuff by kick off - in the bleak midwinter :roll:

At least we'll get to see how our players cope with a cold night away in Stretford.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby branny » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:28 pm

The first goal is vital as to how the game will pan out...... and we keep conceding it.
Balotelli......that's a brilliant finish.
branny

Supporter of: God's own club
My favourite player is: Tueart

Postby branny » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:32 pm

nottsblue wrote:To be fair to Mangla, if he were up against Lukaku with a remit of stick tight to him and don't let him have the ball, then he would do that very well. Lukaku would then be taken out of the game and a big part of the rags game nullified

They'll just stick someone with pace up against him like Lionel or Lingard and wait for Mangala get his legs in a knot and fall over like he did against Arnautovic.
Balotelli......that's a brilliant finish.
branny

Supporter of: God's own club
My favourite player is: Tueart

Postby freshie » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:51 pm

He probably didn't want to risk an injury ahead of the derby. Wish he'd do the same when he's with the Belgium squad
freshie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby iwasthere2012 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:56 pm

A couple of months ago I was more confident than I have ever been that we were going to dismantle them when we’d meet.
That’s even when they were winning and being bigged up in the media.
They’ve had s rocky patch and are now back scoring.
We are in the middle of a difficult time, not scoring freely, but winning. So other than us who are watching every game it’s not so evident.

I think psychologically this game is huge.
Win this and the rest of the league will all but give up. Lose and they all smell blood.

This won’t be lost on Pep and our senior players like Vinny David and Kun.

I’m hoping that we have just been building for this and we will see us go for the jugular. I think we will be pumped for this and the fear of losing gets to United.

Impossible to call what will happen.
Who wants it more.

He who dares Rodney. He who dares.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum