The Annual Championship Thread

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

The Annual Championship Thread

Postby dazby » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:54 am

Wolves need to complete an almighty choke to miss out.

Who’s coming up?
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Re: The Annual Championship Thread

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:16 am

I just want Cardiff to miss out. And not Leeds.
So Derby and either Villa or Boro
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby aristation » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:11 am

Want to see Villa there needs to be premier league football in Birmingham, it will benefit the game as a whole
It may be my last year as a season ticket holder as it just doesn't seem the same with so few English and local players (but I said that last year)
aristation
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Darius Vassell's Composure

My favourite player is: Shaun Goater

Postby johnny crossan » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:21 am

aristation wrote:Want to see Villa there needs to be premier league football in Birmingham, it will benefit the game as a whole

West Brom not close enough then? They may not survive anyway.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Mase » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:53 am

After the way Villa fans treated Barry and Delph we want to see them back in the Prem? Get the fuck outta here!!

I want to see them rot!
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Chinners » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:01 am

aristation wrote:Want to see Villa there needs to be premier league football in Birmingham, it will benefit the game as a whole

What like that other hotbed of football has benefited football, the NorthEast?
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:13 am

I worked in Sheffield for 20 years so it would be good to see the Blades come up (I always preferred them to the Owls), but might have to wait till next season.

Derby would be good too. I remember going in the Osmaston End with my Derby-supporting mate at the old Baseball Ground, then invading the pitch when City played their in the last game of that season. The Futchers played for us and Derby were relegated even though they won. Happy days.
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby BlueinBosnia » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:09 pm

Wolves, Bristol and either Sheff Utd or Derby for me. Leeds to lose in the play-off final.
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:28 pm

Don't know how I'd feel if Leeds came up.

The ex brother-in-law is a die-hard 'Elland Roader' but I still can't get the awful and enduring taste of the Revie years out of my system.

One thing in their favour is that their supporters hate the SCUM with fervent animosity that borders on the religious and, in all fairness, they are a big Club still, in some ways. The PL certainly needs more serious competition to push teams like the Salford Titanic, Arsenic and Liverpuddle into mid table and opposition that won't lie down and die when they go to places like the Swamp.

Still don't know how I'd feel though, if they came up.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Chinners » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:36 pm

I'd like to see Wolves, Leeds along with Preston or Sheff Utd ... good old skool clubs with history that deserve another crack at the 'big-time'
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Tokyo Blue » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:41 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:Don't know how I'd feel if Leeds came up.

The ex brother-in-law is a die-hard 'Elland Roader' but I still can't get the awful and enduring taste of the Revie years out of my system.

One thing in their favour is that their supporters hate the SCUM with fervent animosity that borders on the religious and, in all fairness, they are a big Club still, in some ways. The PL certainly needs more serious competition to push teams like the Salford Titanic, Arsenic and Liverpuddle into mid table and opposition that won't lie down and die when they go to places like the Swamp.

Still don't know how I'd feel though, if they came up.

I know how I'd feel, Chiggy me old mate. I'd think to myself, "The sooner these sheep-shagging cavemen go back to the second division where they belong, the better."

I wouldn't mind seeing Norwich back. They are a little bit inbred, but definitely a very pleasant and knowledgeable set of fans in my experience - even the police came up to us and started talking about football last time I was there. Plus we always seem to beat them. And I remember them putting bayern out of Europe. Ho ho ho. Sadly, not this season, I fear.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:48 pm

Chinners wrote:I'd like to see Wolves, Leeds along with Preston or Sheff Utd ... good old skool clubs with history that deserve another crack at the 'big-time'

I must admit Chinners, I'd quite like to see Sheffield United come up and, as has been mentioned previously, they've always seemed a more "preferable" Club than the Owls (must be the dastardly aroma of Howard Wilkinson that still permeates the atmosphere at that Club although, in his playing career, he did turn out for both Sheffield teams).
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby BlueinBosnia » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:49 pm

Chinners wrote:I'd like to see Wolves, Leeds along with Preston or Sheff Utd ... good old skool clubs with history that deserve another crack at the 'big-time'

I don't get this with Preston deserving another crack at the 'big time'. I've got nothing against the club, but anyone old enough to remember them lifting a major trophy would be getting on for 90 now, and, bar a couple of runner-up places in the 1950s, they've been a lower-mid-table or non-top-flight club for over a century.
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby Nigels Tackle » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:50 pm

i hope sunderland go down
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Chinners » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:52 pm

BlueinBosnia wrote:

I don't get this with Preston deserving another crack at the 'big time'. I've got nothing against the club, but anyone old enough to remember them lifting a major trophy would be getting on for 90 now, and, bar a couple of runner-up places in the 1950s, they've been a lower-mid-table or non-top-flight club for over a century.

I will be 91 this June ....
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:00 pm

BlueinBosnia wrote:

Just as an aside, in the 1964 FA Cup Final against West Ham, Preston had a centre forward in Alex Dawson, that Mourinho would have loved.

He was built like a Centurion tank, had no footballing brain and no skill, other than heading a ball and he would have been perfect for the Scum's route one, anti-football style.

Their team that day also included a very young Howard Kendall.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby johnny crossan » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:06 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
BlueinBosnia wrote:

Just as an aside, in the 1964 FA Cup Final against West Ham, Preston had a centre forward in Alex Dawson, that Mourinho would have loved.
He was built like a Centurion tank, had no footballing brain and no skill, other than heading a ball and he would have been perfect for the Scum's route one, anti-football style.Their team that day also included a very young Howard Kendall.

Not the Alex Dawson I remember MC . Hard man for sure but skilful with it. Fantastic in the air with two good feet as well. Totally fearless - the Black Prince of Deepdale. Great player in the context of his time even if he was a rag.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:24 pm

johnny crossan wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
BlueinBosnia wrote:

He was built like a Centurion tank, had no footballing brain and no skill, other than heading a ball and he would have been perfect for the Scum's route one, anti-football style.Their team that day also included a very young Howard Kendall.

Not the Alex Dawson I remember MC . Hard man for sure but skilful with it. Fantastic in the air with two good feet as well. Totally fearless - the Black Prince of Deepdale. Great player in the context of his time even if he was a rag.

Mmmmm.....I always thought he was lacking in technical ability when the ball was at his feet and that he was a veritable battering ram, rather than a silky, ball playing No 9 (hence the Mourinho reference)......and for a lot of his time, he was in the lower Divisions.

If you, saw a lot of him JC, a lot more than I would have, then I'll stand corrected, although remaining dubious. Football is about different opinions and the game was quite 'raw' in those far off days but I always looked for artistry over physicality.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby johnny crossan » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:36 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
BlueinBosnia wrote:

Mmmmm.....I always thought he was lacking in technical ability when the ball was at his feet and that he was a veritable battering ram, rather than a silky, ball playing No 9 (hence the Mourinho reference)......and for a lot of his time, he was in the lower Divisions.

If you, saw a lot of him JC, a lot more than I would have, then I'll stand corrected, although remaining dubious. Football is about different opinions and the game was quite 'raw' in those far off days but I always looked for artistry over physicality.

My rag brother modelled himself on him, so I was fraternally obliged to see Dawson in a favourable light (especially as my brother is ten years older than me!)
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:54 pm

Do I need to remind people of what Villa did in 1904? Fuck Villa, I hope they disappear out of the football league.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum