Will English football copy City ?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Will English football copy City ?

Postby brite blu sky » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:11 pm

So if City continue to run away with the PL and gain the title, then do the same next year, what do you think the other clubs are going to do ?

In a recent article by Samuel i think it was, he suggested that City already have 3 potential heirs to take over from PG, and that City were planning this. Vieira was one and the guy at Girona another.

Do you think that other clubs will just see this all as something they have to ride out, let City dominate for a few years and hope the pendulum swings back in someone else's favour ?

Or do you think they will start copying City, not just in playing style, but club structure, academy quality etc etc.

Also is it just me or are teams in the lower leagues starting more and more to play possession based, pressing style ?

I'm starting to think that there is a good chance, if City start to dominate, that there will be a sudden clear out of older managers and a wave of younger blood come in, that knows how to organise a team to play this style.
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Re: Will English football copy City ?

Postby Dimples » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:36 pm

In a word: Yes

I read an in-depth City article when Pep was joining stating that City's football structures were setup to be Pep/manager independent.
The structure/plans were already in place for post Pep era, etc... So it looks like we will not change.

If we are successful (we have won nothing yet!) then teams will adapt and change over time to become competitive with us.
That could be adopt our style of play or a style that negates ours, or a hybrid style, etc...
Yes - teams will change from their existing style of play if we are successful (otherwise they will win nothing)

But we have yet to prove that our style is a winner.
The Rags are the representatives for the 'old' style and are our closest rivals.
Their 'style' puts a premium physical dominance and athleticism over skilled footballers i.e. Pigba/Matic Vs. Brown/Dave
They are direct, defend in numbers, kickers and hackers, etc...

For the sake of football alone I hope we win.
Dimples
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester city
My favourite player is: Sterling

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:23 pm

Pep said he was not here to change English football, but that may well be the effect. If not immediately, then hopefully in coaching - if we see coaches starting to teach youngsters the value of the ball, while retaining the physical attributes of English football, then we could end up with a very different England team and league in 15 years time. Don't expect it overnight though.
Hutch's Shoulder

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Dameerto » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:26 pm

Sudden changes in tactics in the Prem tend to do well for a season then the other teams gain enough data to work out what's going on and what to do to stop it - it's going to be interesting to see what Pep does to counter the counter tactics.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Ironpot » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:18 pm

Ederson is a “game changer” ... literally. If nothing else has provoked a reaction, I’m certain our goalkeeper has affected the way the domestic competition views how to play in the position. Coaches and other goalkeepers are gobsmacked by what they are seeing here so this is truly legacy stuff.
Ironpot
Sun Jihai's Vacant Smile

Supporter of: City

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:36 pm

Ironpot wrote:Ederson is a “game changer” ... literally. If nothing else has provoked a reaction, I’m certain our goalkeeper has affected the way the domestic competition views how to play in the position. Coaches and other goalkeepers are gobsmacked by what they are seeing here so this is truly legacy stuff.

You're right chum.

Gone are the days of yore when a goalkeeper, ostensibly with the purpose of preventing the sun dazzling his eyes, would go out onto a pitch wearing a flat cap.

This enabled him to keep his pack of five woodbines, plus his matches, quite dry in the event of rain and, whenever there was a lull in play, he'd be able to take the opportunity to light up and have a quick puff or two. If an attack then developed, he'd pinch out the burning embers and, in one rapid movement, stow the stub behind his ear for further use at a later point in time and prepare to make any necessary saves.

At other times in the game, if his side were attacking, he'd lean on his post and have a conversation with the fans behind his goal.

Yesterday, in the game, Schmeichel also displayed skills (or the lack of them) with the ball at his feet which, in a few seasons' time, will relegate him to dinosaur status.

It's no surprise people are convinced we're ruining football.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby nottsblue » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:37 pm

Ironpot wrote:Ederson is a “game changer” ... literally. If nothing else has provoked a reaction, I’m certain our goalkeeper has affected the way the domestic competition views how to play in the position. Coaches and other goalkeepers are gobsmacked by what they are seeing here so this is truly legacy stuff.

Very good point about Ederson. But our back four are also well versed in playing football which is crucial for the goalkeeper. We saw first hand on Saturday when Schmeichal tried to play it out from the back what a disaster it can be. We don't get it 100% right and we have been doing it for a season and a half. I'd be gobsmacked if any of the current managers at the other top six clubs went fully down this route.
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:47 pm

nottsblue wrote:

Very good point about Ederson. But our back four are also well versed in playing football which is crucial for the goalkeeper. We saw first hand on Saturday when Schmeichal tried to play it out from the back what a disaster it can be. We don't get it 100% right and we have been doing it for a season and a half. I'd be gobsmacked if any of the current managers at the other top six clubs went fully down this route.

You're spot on NB.

Very few Managers will have Pep's vision of how the beautiful game should be played, allied to his tactical thinking and the sheer determination to make the possesion game work properly.

Other managers, concerned for their jobs, in the event of any calamities cropping up by playing in this way, will, in short order become far more pragmatic in their approach.

I suppose, in short, that that answers the question posed as to whether, or not, other teams will follow City's lead.

In all probability, the others will try to curb our own style and progress by other, highly nefarious means i.e. by bringing in upgraded restrictions based around our now moribund domestic version of FFP, rather than on the field of play itself.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby brite blu sky » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:18 pm

nottsblue wrote:

Spot on about Ed... it is also one of the things that the pundits can help themselves raving about, they are truly astonished that a keeper could do this stuff with such calm aplomb.

So will teams be seeking out the next Ederson ? Schmeichal's face at times really really looked like he felt himself not at the races.. he didnt look disappointed with himself, he looked worried.
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky

Postby nottsblue » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:23 pm

brite blu sky wrote:
nottsblue wrote:

Spot on about Ed... it is also one of the things that the pundits can help themselves raving about, they are truly astonished that a keeper could do this stuff with such calm aplomb.

So will teams be seeking out the next Ederson ? Schmeichal's face at times really really looked like he felt himself not at the races.. he didnt look disappointed with himself, he looked worried.

There have been a few comments in various threads by Cutemancs on the away sides thoughts about the upcoming match where posters, perhaps tongue in cheek, have reckoned Ederson is as good on the ball as some of their outfield players. There is a good bit of truth in that. It's also not only his short, calm distribution that has caught the eye, but his ability to spray accurate 60 yard passes to the feet of Sterling or Sane which really stretches defences.
nottsblue

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby brite blu sky » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:35 pm

He is going to inspire the up and coming generation of goalkeepers that for sure... as must have Neuer in Germany

kids with smiley tattoos :)
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:02 pm

brite blu sky wrote:
nottsblue wrote:

Schmeichel tried it and was poor and ditto Spurs. Some coaches will conclude from that it doesn't work; the better ones will conclude they need to look for a different sort of keeper.
Hutch's Shoulder

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby mr_nool » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:08 pm

Hutch's Shoulder wrote:
brite blu sky wrote:
nottsblue wrote:

Schmeichel tried it and was poor and ditto Spurs. Some coaches will conclude from that it doesn't work; the better ones will conclude they need to look for a different sort of keeper.

There aren't many around. The ones coming through our academy are probably the best bet for other clubs trying to copy us.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Lev Bronstein » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:30 pm

We're seeing the fruit of a long term plan, what other club would afford it's management (not just manager) the time and resources to plan ahead and have the patience to make it work
"You sir, will either be hung as a traitor or die of the pox"
"That sir, depends on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress"
Lev Bronstein
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby brite blu sky » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:34 pm

mr_nool wrote:
Hutch's Shoulder wrote:
brite blu sky wrote:
nottsblue wrote:

There aren't many around. The ones coming through our academy are probably the best bet for other clubs trying to copy us.

Club could make some good money then :)
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky

Postby dazby » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:09 am

I wonder if Karius was with us late enough to learn this style. I don't watch the dippers enough to know.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

My favourite player is: Ed

Postby dazby » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:10 am

I wonder if Karius was with us late enough to learn this style. I don't watch the dippers enough to know.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:48 am

Nearly all teams are trying to at out from the back now. And you'll notice loads of teams defending free kicks with a really high line.
By the time everybody has fully caught up, our manager will have worked something else out.
He defies convention
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby Wooders » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:09 am

Unfortunately I think “English footballs” response is going to be to continue to try and shatter our players legs
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Return to The Maine Football forum