EDS/Academy Games

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: EDS/Academy Games

Postby craigmcfc » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:51 pm

Wow. Knocked out of the Youth Cup on penalties to Plymouth. Didn't see that coming.
craigmcfc
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Sergio Aguero

Postby teenage time killer » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:29 pm

Had the misfortune to watch this game.Argyle parked the bus big time & won on penalties. Judging just on this match none of the City players will make the grade at City with the possible exception of the no.15 who came on as sub, tho he couldn't hit a barn door & missed his pen !
teenage time killer
Lee Bradbury's Price Tag

Postby teenage time killer » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:47 pm

Ian Poveda was the no.15. He could be good with an intensive course in how to shoot !
teenage time killer
Lee Bradbury's Price Tag

Postby john@staustell » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:49 am

We were going to go up to this but I'm glad we didn't. Home Park is not the warmest place at the best of times and the weather is obviously horrific. Despite being down here it's high on a hill and windy and definitely one of the colder grounds. And despite being on a hill it doesn't seem to drain, so God knows what it was like.

I'd like to put this catastrophe down to these conditions. This is the team that beat Napoli away etc and carries all before them, even without Foden.

They did lose at Shaktar though and they seem to be putting out younger and younger teams, with the expectation they keep winning. Is this complacency, or is the priority elsewhere than winning this trophy?
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:26 pm

I didn't see it coming but at the same time I am not totally surprised as the 18's lads are struggling more and more in games and I think have won very few in the last month apart from the 4.1 v Utd.

Yes we are putting out younger sides at times and we didn't play Foden ( I think Diaz would also have been eligible) but last night wasn't really a very young side I don't think. I do wonder about the managers of our youth sides. Certailny I have no time for Simon Davies with the EDS/19's but I am assuming the 18's are managed by Gareth Taylor.

I hear fans who watch the lad more than I do moaning about the managers and they may well be right. We definitely should not be going out to Plymouth whether they parked a bus or not.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby craigmcfc » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:39 pm

I might be wrong but I'm sure I saw a tweet in the afternoon before the game which intimated that Simon Davies was in charge for the Youth Cup

EDIT - Just done a bit more research, definitely Simon Davies.
craigmcfc
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Sergio Aguero

Postby Dwaring » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:17 pm

I haven’t seen anthing about it in social media or the forums, but citys u-12 team is the Prospects Cup final. You can watch the match live online at http://www.prospectscup.com. It’s on at 1030 est which is errr.... 3 hours from now, you can do the math. The tots are actually quite impressive.
Dwaring
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Supporter of: Manchester city
My favourite player is: Yaya toure

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:42 pm

Dwaring wrote:I haven’t seen anthing about it in social media or the forums, but citys u-12 team is the Prospects Cup final. You can watch the match live online at http://www.prospectscup.com. It’s on at 1030 est which is errr.... 3 hours from now, you can do the math. The tots are actually quite impressive.

Seen some and the lads are great. Some real tiny tots but we do have a giant or two for the age
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:40 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
Dwaring wrote:I haven’t seen anthing about it in social media or the forums, but citys u-12 team is the Prospects Cup final. You can watch the match live online at http://www.prospectscup.com. It’s on at 1030 est which is errr.... 3 hours from now, you can do the math. The tots are actually quite impressive.

Seen some and the lads are great. Some real tiny tots but we do have a giant or two for the age

Just won the competition with a 3 nil win in the final. Missed a pen too. Totally deserved, best team in the comp by far it seems.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby mr_nool » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:24 pm

The wee blonde lad with number 11 got some serious skill. I wached the whole Dortmund game and he was by far the stand out player.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby Justified logic » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:48 pm

Blonde? Get 'him' in the MCWFC squad now! ;)
Justified logic
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Justified logic » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:50 pm

Justified logic

Postby johnny crossan » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:58 pm

Justified logic wrote:World champions!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42462240

the standing & kneeling arrangements in that photo seem to follow a pattern :shock: :?
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Nigels Tackle » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:46 pm

johnny crossan wrote:

the standing & kneeling arrangements in that photo seem to follow a pattern :shock: :?

they do indeed which is very strange.

not hard to spot the fletcher twins, sadly for them they seem to have inherited their father's looks.
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:50 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:

they do indeed which is very strange.

not hard to spot the fletcher twins, sadly for them they seem to have inherited their father's looks.

Who's the distinctive youngster kneeling down on the extreme right of the photo ??

He might well be the next KDB ??
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby nottsblue » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:51 pm

Under 23s 2-1 up at home to the dippers. Keep it up boys, any victory over them is sweet
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:49 pm

nottsblue wrote:Under 23s 2-1 up at home to the dippers. Keep it up boys, any victory over them is sweet

Won 3.2 in the end and that's a great much needed result. I saw mention on twitter that's the best EDS performance for ages and maybe it was but I actually thought we were pretty poor and there for the taking. Fortunately Liverpool were pretty average as well.

After about 20 minutes or so we were looking crap ,hardly getting forward at all and gave a penalty away with a rash tackle from Latibeaudierre ( like the Stones one against Bristol) I feared the worst as we just were not playing well but out of the blue a break down the middle, LPool tried to play offside but failed and Gonzalez went through to score.

Still I wasnt expecting mucsh . Liverpool had agreat chance but hit the post and then Matondo ,moved from the right to the left wing suddenly sprinted away and finished through the keepers legs. 2.1 up at half time but 2 key moments apart from the goals were bad injuries to Ben Garre of City and Brewster of Liverpool. Both looked like ligament injuries to me and we had about 10 minutes of injury time.

We got a key third goal when Dilrosun go to the byline, pulled it back and Felix Nmecha smacked it home with his wrong foot. LPool did get one back with 3 minutes to go but a win is a win.

I get very confused with the EDS both the selection , the formation they play and then the individual performances.

We started with a back 4 but without a real full back. Maybe the ones we have are injured I don't know but Oliver as right back and Davenport at left back are just not good enough to play those positions. They will try hard etc etc but they don't like it there and don't play well there. Notably as soon as Lpool scored we changed to 3 at the back with Davenport moving to join Smith in central holding midfield roles.

The creative midfielf just in front was supposed to be Tom Dele Bashiru and Dilrosun. Tom was lost and just didnt get into the game at all. Dilrosun is a winger and just kept getting caught in possession. Crazy as Dilrosun's normal and best position is as a winger but we had Garre playing wide left! Garre I belive when he joined was seen as a number 10! Weird.

Smith ,who is a fantastic workhorse in the middle, struggled to get hold of the game. His shorter passes were getting picked off so, he far too often, just lumped it forward. We seemed to lack a pattern or plan and yet someone said its the best we have played for ages!

Matondo's goal was individual quality and only slightly helped by the fact the the full back ( 6 feet 6 inches tall at least) had just done his hamstring and couldnt tackle him!

Of course there were some good bits from individuals. Francis mostly ok but for getting skinned when drawn to the wing and it ended with the penalty. Joel good apart from the penalty tackle. Curtis Anderson ( under 17 world cup winner) was pretty good in goal with a few iffy moments trying to play from the back. Mostly though much of that was the weakness of the players in front of him.

Ah well ,as I said a win is a win and its onto the under 18's tomorrow v Newcastle.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:30 pm

Watched the 18's this morning against WBA and we got a fairly sound beating to carry on a pretty poor run of form of late.

I half expected the 18's to struggle this year once the decision was made to field very young sides with arguably the best elible players all moving up to EDS level. Then we started with a great run of games to go top of the league and all seemed great but now we are really struggling to get results.

Interesting that although we are promoting youth it seems we are making loads of changes every match. I wonder how many of the following names from today's team you guys here have heard of:

Anderson
Diounkou, Garcia ,Robinson , Corrigan
Fisayo Dele-Bashiru , Ogbeta, Felix Nmecha,
Ogunby,Touazi, Simmonds

A bench of ,Trafford ,Frimpong ,Amankwah, Devine , Fiorini.

Although a 4.1 defeat says a lot we could have had 4 easily but missed chances and messed up final balls and we did gift them 3 goals. Overall though we were second best. Hopefully plenty of learning is going on and we will see improvement in what's left of the season but at the moment it's hard work.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby BlueinBosnia » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:35 pm

Just seen we've been drawn at home vs. Inter Milan in the last 16 of the UEFA Youth League. Winners play either Liverpool or Rags at home.
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby Justified logic » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:20 am

UEFA Youth League round of 16 game at home to Inter this afternoon at 5pm, live on BT Sport 3 for those not able to get along to the Minihad.
Justified logic

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum