‘A’ Double

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: The Double

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:31 pm

blues2win wrote:I’m not sure what you mean by the same. We’re winning the League by much more than he did. The main criticism would be our dreadful failure against Liverpool in the first CL leg which I agree is a blot on Pep’s copy book. It shows we have to improve next season, perhaps in our mentality occasionally. For me as someone who can only go occasionally my trips to the Etihad have generally been a delight. The only poor match I saw was the CL fixture against the Swiss which featured our second 11. Even against Everton the team fought back bravely in the second half against the rank injustice of Walker’s sending off. Thanks Pep and the team. It’s been a pleasure to follow you.

Well said that man. Without those ups we wouldn't feel the downs.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Spurge » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:34 pm

blues2win wrote:This is a far better team than Mancini’s or Pellegrini’s. We’ve dominated the Premier League this season with brilliant attractive football. A couple of sickening losses doesn’t change that.

Attractive football isnt a guarantee of winning games. Also lets not forget some of the football we played in both the other title winning seasons dzekos 4 at spurs in a 5-1 and the 6-1 at the swamp under mancini. The 102 goals in pellers title winning season including the 6-0 at home to spurs and 6 at home to arsenal 6 at home v west ham in the first leg of the lcsf.
Spurge
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Asa Hartford

Postby phips » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:43 pm

for me, yes. the double will suffice. i didnt expect us to win the CL anyways; we've got a bit more to go to catch the likes of Madrid, Barca, & Bayern in european competition.

that being said, i cant help but feel it shouldve been a domestic treble. that loss to Wigan still boggles the mind.
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby blues2win » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:02 pm

In our two previous modern title wins we ever dominated the League the way we have this season. Not even close.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby Dunnylad » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:24 pm

blues2win wrote:In our two previous modern title wins we ever dominated the League the way we have this season. Not even close.

This ^^

Although it feels like an anticlimax as it promised almost perfection - just something to attain to next season
"F****d it up,
Shot my Load,
Spewed onto the Motorway Shoulder,
I Could Have Been Somebody Special."
Dunnylad
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Georgi Kinkladze

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:54 am

Is this real? You're actually complaining about winning a cup and being champions?
Holy shit.
What a whinging ballbag.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby Mase » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:39 am

Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:Is this real? You're actually complaining about winning a cup and being champions?
Holy shit.
What a whinging ballbag.

Hate to do a Phips, but you can’t read can you Piccs?

Here’s the OP just for you:

“For all the great football we’ve played this season, will the double be enough?

We won it in Pellers first season. So the football has been better this season than that year. But ultimately all that will be mentioned is the amount of trophies we’ve won. That’s 2. For such an ‘outstanding’ manager and one of the best teams in Europe this season - is the same as what Pellers won enough?”

Just a simple question my friend.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Re: ‘A’ Double

Postby ruralblue » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:59 am

All the shit from fourty five minutes on Saturdayand Wednesday aside we have played some of the most spectacular and breath taking football this season.

We've a cup albeit the lesser one and we are pushing ourselves over the line in the league. Would I have taken this at the start of the season? Of course I would.

Plus we have a much younger squad who will and can just get better.
I haven't a fecking clue what I'm doing! Gillie come back man I want my sig back. As the Photobucket thingy gone?
ruralblue
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: MANCHESTER CITY
My favourite player is: KOMPANY / SILVA

Postby Dubciteh » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:31 am

What pellers done was great, what Pep has done is great. Im delighted with both these doubles. Its not as if we are winning trophies every year and can be picky,

Any season you win the league regardless of anything else is a great season.
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Hazy2 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:32 am

2017/2018 Season CITY CHAMPIONS WITH A CUP THROWN IN PLUS A GREAT RUN IN THE CL ENDED AT OUR BOGEY GROUND. THE SEASON FOR ME HAS BEEN A JOY TO WATCH. LOOKING BACK IS OLD CITY.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby BlueinBosnia » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:51 am

Tokyo Blue wrote:Manuel Pellegrini and his achievements are being underrated at best, denigrated at worst, and that is very sad indeed.

I think Pellers' achievements are far greater than Pep's thus far. Pellers knew he wasn't in it for the long haul from day one, took a squad that had revolted against Mancini, and which still contained bits and bobs of deadwood, placated it, and got it back on the winning track. Moreover, the squad was ageing, and he was obviously somewhat hindered in the transfer market due to the stop-gap nature of his appointment. Only 32 appearances (including from the subs' bench) were made by players under 25 that season, 15% of them by a guy who is now warming the bench at a club on the brink of being relegated to League One, and he spent a net total of around £75m improving the team from the season before - considerably less than a Pogba.

On the flip side, had we not lost so humiliatingly and spinelessly to Liverpool, and then fluffed our consolation prize of winning the league at home against the Rags, or alternatively beaten Wigan and made it all the way to an unprecedented domestic Treble, I'd be more than satisfied with the outcome this season.
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby s1ty m » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:44 am

Mase wrote:
Wooders wrote:I’d rather premier league teams weren’t even in that cup mate

Fair enough mate. I’m not too fussed about the champions league - I think it’s the most corrupt competition on the planet.

It's a turd of a competition. Seeding...lol.

Basically, top seeds are expected to reach the QF and the seeding almost guarantees it. That's just shit. Same teams in the shake-up each year, same boost to their finances. Yep, shit and bent.
After the ball was centred, after the whistle blew...
s1ty m
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby Sideshow Bob » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:26 pm

no one is mad about winning "only" 2 pots. BUT there's no excuse whatsoever for the capitulation we've seen this week. players had ample rest before klanfield and every reason in the world to lay down a marker against that shower of c*nts. failing that, the LEAST they should have done was bust a f*cking gut to smash the rags. tbh i think we'd all be sickened to know how little our players give a f*ck about our club or the fans.
Sideshow Bob
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Jonny Evans

Postby Justified logic » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:18 pm

Sideshow Bob wrote:no one is mad about winning "only" 2 pots. BUT there's no excuse whatsoever for the capitulation we've seen this week. players had ample rest before klanfield and every reason in the world to lay down a marker against that shower of c*nts. failing that, the LEAST they should have done was bust a f*cking gut to smash the rags. tbh i think we'd all be sickened to know how little our players give a f*ck about our club or the fans.

I disagree. No one can doubt that Vinny cares. Kun and Big Dave have committed their future competitive career to us. Corrupt reffing aside, we wiped the floor with United first half but Guardiola had decided to play Sterling as striker and Sterling duly fluffed his lines. Still we led at half time. I'll wager Mourinho knew we'd ease off second half once ahead - we have history of letting in late goals because we've slackened off - and we had Tuesday's game coming up to think about. And as we have history in this I blame Guardiola because when we are not attacking and are under pressure we have to know how to defend, something that we clearly don't, despite it happening repeatedly and not being solved.
Justified logic
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby gillie » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:23 pm

Fuckin hell I remember when winning a pre-season tournament meant something to us. So yes winning 2 of the only 3 trophies available in this country will do for me.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby Sideshow Bob » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:05 pm

Justified logic wrote:
Sideshow Bob wrote:no one is mad about winning "only" 2 pots. BUT there's no excuse whatsoever for the capitulation we've seen this week. players had ample rest before klanfield and every reason in the world to lay down a marker against that shower of c*nts. failing that, the LEAST they should have done was bust a f*cking gut to smash the rags. tbh i think we'd all be sickened to know how little our players give a f*ck about our club or the fans.

I disagree. No one can doubt that Vinny cares. Kun and Big Dave have committed their future competitive career to us. Corrupt reffing aside, we wiped the floor with United first half but Guardiola had decided to play Sterling as striker and Sterling duly fluffed his lines. Still we led at half time. I'll wager Mourinho knew we'd ease off second half once ahead - we have history of letting in late goals because we've slackened off - and we had Tuesday's game coming up to think about. And as we have history in this I blame Guardiola because when we are not attacking and are under pressure we have to know how to defend, something that we clearly don't, despite it happening repeatedly and not being solved.

pep should take some of the blame for this shitshow but i blame the players the most. against the dippers they somehow forgot how to pass the ball over 3 yards and then retreated into their little shells once the first goal went in. against the rags they decided to go on holiday for the entire second half. i dont understand the mentality in this squad atm.
Sideshow Bob
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Jonny Evans

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:43 pm

It's the manner of the two defeats that still irks me now - if the three goals at Anfield had been spread out and we had scored one, instead of collapsing in effectively the first quarter of the tie, if we had been beaten by the rags 1-0 in a bus-parking master class instead of losing a two goal lead..... grrr
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby iwasthere2012 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:52 pm

A double would be great.
I’ll celebrate it when it becomes real. Not a second before.

What has happened since last Wednesday has really put me right off football.

I really need to see City turn up tomorrow and do something unbelievable.
Because I have faith in them, but not the sport, if you can still call it that.

A good performance tomorrow to get back on track in the league. Something to lift them as much as us.
Then when we finally put the league to bed, I’ll be delighted.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby dazby » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:34 pm

If Barca or Bayern don't win the Chumps League this season will they consider their season a disappointment?
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

My favourite player is: Ed

Postby john68 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:48 am

Mase, I don't usually respond to your threads or posts but on this occasion, I make an exception. Who the fuck are you trying to kid? You have a go at Piccs by telling him that you are merely posing a simple question.....absolute bollox and you well know it.

Fair question my arse!!!!! You have already statedon another thread that you "Hate Pep" so why not at least be honest with your agenda to have a dig.

Beyond that, It is as stupid a thread that has been posted on here and for the benefit of others drawn into your nonsense, here's why.

What Pellers did was truly amazing in his first season and nobody should try and take that away from him.

But the circumstances of the two managers are totally different. Pellers inherited a largely settled squad that retained most of the title winning side of Mancini. The subsequent failures of that team were due to their refusal to playfor him, particularly in the Wigan cup final. We palyed some magnificent football and enjoyed some terrific results.

Pep inherited much of the same squad, the oldest in the Prem, that needed a complete overhaul, which as yet remains unfinished. The rags, Liverpool and others have spent £Billions attempting to rebuild and during that time they dropped out of the limelight. Player and managers alike in and out.

This is Pep's 2nd season, and he himself has never said he was the greatest, that crown was attributed to him by pundits and the main strem media. Pep himself only ever said hewas here to learn.

We now have a team running away with the League containing many kids and players who are strangers to the rigours of the Prem in their 1st season. We have also won the League Cup and (maybe until later today) we are still in the CL.

Personally I am gutted, hurt and extremely angry about the events of this last week, but though I am emotionally devasted, rationally I am more than satisfied.
At the end of Pellers reign, we had 2 trophies and a squad on the wane needing a rebuild. (Not Pellers fault)
Today, we have 2 trophies, not quite out of a third, and a sqaud that with a tweek here and there will could and should take us forward for years to come. Not only that, we have also given 6 of our own kids some game time which is something missing from City for many years.

Two great managers, two great seasons, and if your stated hatred of Pep is so embedded in you, I take it that you won't be cheering as Kompany lifts the Prem trophy...as it is only what you would have expected.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum