Pep...

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Pep...

Postby FA cup winners 2006 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:53 am

Plain Speaking wrote:
PeterParker wrote:I think he is the best manager in the world. But ...

He failed to win anything european without Messi and that will always be pointed out. As the manager of Bayern, he really managed to fuck things in the semis with weird tactics against Barcelona or Real, or even Atletico two years ago. In every single of these games, he fucked up.

Here it was even worst, with Monaco last year and now + the incredible decisions against him.

I don't know about Bayern, but at Monaco last year and in the last 3 matches it has been the officials that have shafted us. We would not have lost those matches without dodgy referee decisions.

Too simplistic. Everything was wrong with the first half against Liverpool. When they got 3-0 up, they shut up shop and we were hopeless. Against United our finishing let us down badly in the first half and or defence were shit in the second. Last night we were better and a shocking bad ref performance effected us. Thing is though, we knew what this ref was like and the players let their heads drop as is they were surprised.

Our front 3 is not clinical enough, fix that first
FA cup winners 2006
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:57 am

Justified logic wrote:This season is done for me. Winning the PL will be an anticlimax after Saturday's capitulation and the CL can go its own corrupt way for all I care.

But what do we need for next season to be successful in the big games and on the big stage?

Stats from our last three games, as seen by a worldwide audience..

Liverpool: 9 shots, 5 on target, 3 goals
City: 11 shots, 0 on target, 0 goals

City: 20 shots, 6 on target, 2 goals
United: 5 shots, 4 on target, 3 goals

City: 20 shots, 3 on target, 1 goal
Liverpool: 5 shots, 3 on target, 2 goals

In total...

City: 51 shots, 9 on target, 3 goals
Oppo: 19 shots, 12 on target, 8 goals

Is it that we don't take our chances or that we concede/capitulate too easily?

It's quite clear what we need if we are to compete at the business end of the season against top teams: a natural finisher a la Messi/Ronaldo/Salah/Kane; and a CB who can command a defence. Without these Guardiola will continue to fail in the top games as he has done ever since he left Messi behind.

I agree with your analysis. One striker, cover for Fern, and two defenders, maybe back up keeper if Bravo goes. A bit like PSG in France, we have been so dominant in the league that he haven't really had to defend too much, and its only in the games where we have been made to that we learn where we can improve. But we will need to defend and take chances in the QF of the CL onwards.

That said, those stats give an exaggerated picture - if you took the season as a whole against the top six teams it would be much better. I also think the damage done in the first half at Anfield has distorted selections and performances in the two subsequent games.
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Beefymcfc » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:56 am

Pep must be questioning his previous wins.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby zabbadabbado » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:22 am

Apparently Guardiola only extending his contract for a further 12 months. Not sure how I feel about this. Apparently this is how he worked at Barcelona. We are not Barcelona. We are supposedly building a Dynasty around him. Is it wrong to expect a bit more of a long term commitment from a manager earning £20,000 000 a year.

Hate to say it, I am still struggling to take to him, I think it is because I sense he really doesn’t give a shit about us deep down, he doesn’t get us, we don’t get him. Never more evident than Saturday Derby, it hurt me, still does, he really wasn’t that arsed about that result and what it meant us. That came across in his after match interview where he point blank refused to accept any responsibility for the result, instead focusing on what a great season we have had. Of Course he is right about that. Still you would expect him to buy in to us a bit more. Deliver what we fans want occasionally. We are paying customers after all. He was as much responsible for that Rag win, as the Rags were. You won’t find any Rags that disagree. Starting with 2 Strikers on the Bench raised a few eyebrows.

I think he has to take a lot of responsibility for our recent patchy form. Last night game was another prime example. Excellent first half playing with 3 at the back, inexplicably changes at half time to a flat back 4,surprise ,surprise, quickly follow the inevitable mistakes game over. Not an isolated incident either. I still have no idea what the idea behind playing the slowest Guy in our squad with 2 fucked Knees was about against Liverpool high Press in the away Leg. That defeat was solely on him.3-0 down before he made any meaningful change, shocking.

It’s like he grows bored with walking the League and thinks fuck it I am going to spice things up a bit, by constantly fucking about rotating. He did it after romping the League with Bayern Munich, they were so far ahead that their form dropped off, complacency set in and then he started doing similar stuff he did with us in the Champions League.

I hope the Club have contingency plans in place if it is true about the 12 month extension. He is such an emotional, complex character he could literally walk at any moment after a bad string of results during a season.
Last edited by zabbadabbado on Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
zabbadabbado
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: man city
My favourite player is: KDB

Postby sheblue » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:32 am

I thought he made a lot of mistakes last season and I put it down to learning the English game or learning the league. And up to last week it seemed he had taken a lot from his first season and ironed out the judgement errors.
In the last week he has repeated some of those mistakes.

Overall though we are vastly better than when Pelligrini left.
We need to live with the fact that we will not be allowed win the CL or even anywhere near the CL final, for years to come.
Really its 3 trophies that we can compete for, and 2 from 3 is pretty good.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby zabbadabbado » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:50 am

sheblue wrote:I thought he made a lot of mistakes last season and I put it down to learning the English game or learning the league. And up to last week it seemed he had taken a lot from his first season and ironed out the judgement errors.

We need to live with the fact that we will not be allowed win the CL or even anywhere near the CL final, for years to come.
I agree, when you put it in to perspective 2 from 3 domestic Trophies is an excellent season from us fans perspective.

I would take that right now every year.

I will get over unnecessarily losing the Derby, and making history eventually. :( :( :( It means so much to me. If it makes me small minded, then I hold my hands up and admit, I am guilty of being small minded. Foreign managers just don’t seem to get it. You would have thought Guardiola would have got it from the el Classico rivalry.
zabbadabbado
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: man city
My favourite player is: KDB

Postby bobadji » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:59 am

sheblue wrote:I thought he made a lot of mistakes last season and I put it down to learning the English game or learning the league. And up to last week it seemed he had taken a lot from his first season and ironed out the judgement errors.

Very fair comment.

I think we've been blessed this year with some of the best football I've ever seen, and although the last week has been more than hard to take, we've been shit hot all year really and with a different bounce, ref, linesman, could be sat as Prem winners already with a CL semi final coming up
bobadji
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Ned

Postby mr_nool » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:10 am

bobadji wrote:

Very fair comment.

I think we've been blessed this year with some of the best football I've ever seen, and although the last week has been more than hard to take, we've been shit hot all year really and with a different bounce, ref, linesman, could be sat as Prem winners already with a CL semi final coming up

Nice to see you back posting more regularly. It's great to see that some quality posters from the days of yore, like you, John68 and Bluemoon have found your way back to the forum.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby PeterParker » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:35 am

zabbadabbado wrote:Apparently Guardiola only extending his contract for a further 12 months.

From when it ends or from this summer?

He had a 3 year contract, with one season left, so we have him for 2 seasons now or the last season it was just adjusted financially?
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:42 pm

PeP says we , the Fans , should change our attitude to the CL comp and stop booing it !

There you go...it's our fault we are out.

Heres a message to PeP ...CHANGE your fuckign attitude towards DERBY matches, you out of touch cunt!!!

This is why I cant stand this person...cant stand him !!
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Hazy2 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:06 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:PeP says we , the Fans , should change our attitude to the CL comp and stop booing it !

Heres a message to PeP ...CHANGE your fuckign attitude towards DERBY matches, you out of touch cunt!!!

Fans have a right to emotional wobblers. If the season hinged on last night or Sat night spew your guts, Me it's shite but very positive going forward. I'm going to Spurs and yes we could be beat with another ref howler, so what, another meltdown. It's football and City will be Champions soon enough. Pep was like a fan at Half time last night and I was proud as fuck he gave it the cunt of a ref and his team of tossers. Pep showed me all I want from a manager and with great football. It was not to be.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby City64 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:24 pm

Hazy2 wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:PeP says we , the Fans , should change our attitude to the CL comp and stop booing it !

Fans have a right to emotional wobblers. If the season hinged on last night or Sat night spew your guts, Me it's shite but very positive going forward. I'm going to Spurs and yes we could be beat with another ref howler, so what, another meltdown. It's football and City will be Champions soon enough. Pep was like a fan at Half time last night and I was proud as fuck he gave it the cunt of a ref and his team of tossers. Pep showed me all I want from a manager and with great football. It was not to be.

Absolutely Hazy , Pep stormed into the pitch and gave the cheating bent Spanish ref some proper shit in Spanish proper passionate! Now if that was Ferguson 10 years ago the media would have made the Scottish cunt a saint all over the back pages fighting his corner for the right of English football , with Pep and city it was all just dismissed ........ the game is bent as fuck , pep knows it we all know it .
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby iwasthere2012 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:36 pm

Hazy2 wrote:

I can understand those that can't warm to him as he doesn't say what they would like to hear from him.
He is a Barca man at heart but I think he is treating the crowd the same way as he treated the squad.

I think there is a vicious circle here. The fans don't like UEFA and think the CL is a corrupt money spinning machine for them.
Our owners who have invested so much and given us a quality squad, a quality manager, quality facilities etc., want to win it and demand success.
UEFA don't like us, because their money spinning clubs don't want us taking their slice of the pie and we also show contempt for them, which puts the spotlight on their corruption. So there is no way in hell are they letting us anyway near a final while we insist on booing their anthem.
They just do not want that publicity airing globally on their biggest days of the year.

Whether Pep knew this was the way of things before he left the cozy environs of Barca or Bayern, I don't know, but you sure as hell know he knows now.
So back to his treatment of the fans. He shipped out what he considered bad influences to his philosophy and shut up the likes of Yaya and his agent.
He is telling the fans that if you want to dine at the top table you will have to play the game. We are not getting there with any manager never mind him, as long as we show up UEFA.
This keeps the rest of the G14 clubs happy and they continue to get away with murder. (See Liverpool last week)

Now this is by no means a lecture to those that want to keep booing. Do so by all means. Manchester people are quite stubborn when it comes to right and wrong. If you think you are right (and let's face it, you are) and you think this is the way to express it, then do so.

However, my view is that we have a fabulous manager ho has an improving team playing fabulous football and he has a brief to win this competition.
He is telling us it's not going to happen this way. The crowd need to play their part.

So we have an impasse. The team have had to change. They are still suffering though from the injustices of external influences. Our crowd says f@ck everyone else, we're right. we're not changing our stance. The team get further f@cked on the field.

Now you can still throw in weird formations and team selections that seemingly throw games, by Pep, but I think we are going no further regardless
of who we have while this impasse is there.

Much as i'd love to just win th PL every year, i'm affraid it's not going to cut the mustard with the Sheik.

Thsi isn't a rant at anyone by the way,just an opinion.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Beefymcfc » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:38 pm

I like him, he wins things.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Beefymcfc » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:42 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:
Hazy2 wrote:

I can understand those that can't warm to him as he doesn't say what they would like to hear from him.
He is a Barca man at heart but I think he is treating the crowd the same way as he treated the squad.

I think there is a vicious circle here. The fans don't like UEFA and think the CL is a corrupt money spinning machine for them.
Our owners who have invested so much and given us a quality squad, a quality manager, quality facilities etc., want to win it and demand success.
UEFA don't like us, because their money spinning clubs don't want us taking their slice of the pie and we also show contempt for them, which puts the spotlight on their corruption. So there is no way in hell are they letting us anyway near a final while we insist on booing their anthem.
They just do not want that publicity airing globally on their biggest days of the year.

Whether Pep knew this was the way of things before he left the cozy environs of Barca or Bayern, I don't know, but you sure as hell know he knows now.
So back to his treatment of the fans. He shipped out what he considered bad influences to his philosophy and shut up the likes of Yaya and his agent.
He is telling the fans that if you want to dine at the top table you will have to play the game. We are not getting there with any manager never mind him, as long as we show up UEFA.
This keeps the rest of the G14 clubs happy and they continue to get away with murder. (See Liverpool last week)

Now this is by no means a lecture to those that want to keep booing. Do so by all means. Manchester people are quite stubborn when it comes to right and wrong. If you think you are right (and let's face it, you are) and you think this is the way to express it, then do so.

However, my view is that we have a fabulous manager ho has an improving team playing fabulous football and he has a brief to win this competition.
He is telling us it's not going to happen this way. The crowd need to play their part.

So we have an impasse. The team have had to change. They are still suffering though from the injustices of external influences. Our crowd says f@ck everyone else, we're right. we're not changing our stance. The team get further f@cked on the field.

Now you can still throw in weird formations and team selections that seemingly throw games, by Pep, but I think we are going no further regardless

Much as i'd love to just win th PL every year, i'm affraid it's not going to cut the mustard with the Sheik.

A very good, considered post mate, and I wholeheartedly agree.

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby PeterParker » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:50 pm

Plain Speaking wrote:
PeterParker wrote:I think he is the best manager in the world. But ...

He failed to win anything european without Messi and that will always be pointed out. As the manager of Bayern, he really managed to fuck things in the semis with weird tactics against Barcelona or Real, or even Atletico two years ago. In every single of these games, he fucked up.

Here it was even worst, with Monaco last year and now + the incredible decisions against him.

I don't know about Bayern, but at Monaco last year and in the last 3 matches it has been the officials that have shafted us. We would not have lost those matches without dodgy referee decisions.

I remember a few years ago, Bayern vs Porto. Pep fucked up badly in Portugal and they lost 3-0 or 3-1, fail to remember. Then at home, played like yesterday and Porto capitulated, 6-1.
Then in the semi got Barcelona, lost 3-0 in Catalunia.
One year earlier was worst, in 2014. 0-1 in Madrid, then 0-4 at home.

What I am trying to say is that he feels the need to experiment in this closing stages, maybe to try to surprise his opponents, but instead in many cases, it ends up really bad.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby edge275 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:20 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:
Hazy2 wrote:

Great post.
"Like all bullies, they've just found out that there is a much bigger guy in town, someone who is richer and more powerful than their worst nightmare. And this smiling Arabic assassin is intent on stealing all the treasures they've nicked off everyone else, and pulverising them into commercial and footballing oblivion as he does so."
edge275
pot noodle style supporter
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

My favourite player is: Mike Lingo

Postby sandman » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:47 am

Best manager we have ever had, best manager there has ever been...

Keep the faith, be patient and he will make us the best team in history.
sandman
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City

Postby mr_nool » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:52 am

sandman wrote:Best manager we have ever had, best manager there has ever been...

Someone is in a cheery mood today :-)
Did you just wake up after dreaming about banging the Vestal Virgins?
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby Original Dub » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:24 am

sandman wrote:Best manager we have ever had, best manager there has ever been...

We've had the week from he'll and we could have played better in certain moments. Pep could have done things better also of course.

But I'm not silly enough to think one week strips him of everything he's achieved this season.

Tbh mate, the ones piping up are the ones who wanted him gone last season I think.
Original Dub

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum