Premier League Money Redistribution

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Premier League Money Redistribution

Postby Beefymcfc » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:53 pm

So, the PL vote the change of overseas money to be distributed the same as the home money with those at the top earning more than those at the bottom. Is it a good thing?

Oh, and then Scudamore steps down as PL boss. Related?
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Re: Premier League Money Redistribution

Postby nottsblue » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:08 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:So, the PL vote the change of overseas money to be distributed the same as the home money with those at the top earning more than those at the bottom. Is it a good thing?

Oh, and then Scudamore steps down as PL boss. Related?

Be interesting to see his financials for the next month or so. There will likely have been a few quid changing hands
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby aaron bond » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:45 am

The redistribution was not needed. All it serves to do is make the clubs even more unequal.

I’m disappointed we seem to have been one of the leaders in pushing this. Although I have no idea why the owners of the smaller clubs would vote through something like this.
aaron bond
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:19 am

aaron bond wrote:The redistribution was not needed. All it serves to do is make the clubs even more unequal.

I’m disappointed we seem to have been one of the leaders in pushing this. Although I have no idea why the owners of the smaller clubs would vote through something like this.

The way I read it was they’re agreeing to any potential increase being split this way, so they don’t lose money already earned. The threat to get them to vote is surely the idea of a break away European league. If that ever happens I’m out.
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Nickyboy » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:42 am

When looking at the details wasn't it just the 'prize money element that is being distributed the same as the current UK split, and the rest still being split equal?

So basically this is just aligning all of the TV revenue as one rather than seeing it as a UK pot and a ROW pot?
Nickyboy
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Beefymcfc » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:49 am

Nickyboy wrote:When looking at the details wasn't it just the 'prize money element that is being distributed the same as the current UK split, and the rest still being split equal?

So basically this is just aligning all of the TV revenue as one rather than seeing it as a UK pot and a ROW pot?

That's how I read it, but it's only on any further increase in prize money so the current pot is ringfenced.

I was fully against this, probably due to the lack of info, but now I'm completely the opposite. When you look at the bigger clubs, who they say are the biggest pull, they really put a fortune into bringing the best players, manager and facilities, spending hundreds of millions to make the league competitive and fight for those CL places. Yet we have other clubs who are never there to compete with their only goal to stay in the PL.

When you look at some of the spend from other clubs you soon realise that some of them are there just to take the money. They've got their golden ticket and do as little as possible monetary wise but get maximum return. Brighton, who have made it to the promised land, spent approx 60 mil on players last season. That's not a bad investment when you think they now have another season on the PL, earning approx £200 mil over the 2 seasons. Then you look at the likes of West Ham who have a net spend of less than 30 mil over the last 3 seasons, what are they really offering to the PL. That's just 2 examples but there's many with the same mindset throughout the league.

All this does is make the whole financial package a competition where clubs are incentivised to earn their money. If they don't want to compete and are happy to sit in mid to lower table, why should they get the same money as a team who are bringing something to the league?

What has to be remembered is that we are not in the same position as when we were fighting it out near the bottom, hoping to see those 40 points on the board. The financial package has improved dramatically but certain clubs have decided to pocket it rather than put it back in, unlike us who had fuck all left, even before the season had finished.

But what about Scudamore, why has he stood down at this time? Was he under pressure to get this through and there was so much angst that the bigger clubs forced him out?

Oh, and just noticed that Gavin Patterson is stepping down from the Chief Exec job at BT. Coincidence? I hope not, not with his allegiances.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:23 am

Anything that makes the split less even and weighted towards the "haves" can't be a good thing. It's what we all hated before, when we were a "have not"
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby Beefymcfc » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:55 am

Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:Anything that makes the split less even and weighted towards the "haves" can't be a good thing. It's what we all hated before, when we were a "have not"

I never had a problem with competition, which this promotes, my problem was always with how the PL favoured teams to get them to the top. The PL money never bothered me, it was the CL money that pissed me off because that made the divide. Now we are there every season, are we against that still?

I wasn't even aware that the overseas money was split equally rather than how the domestic money is split on where a team finishes. I always thought it was all split the same, and expected it to be. It's all part of the competition for places, the better the season,the more the reward.

Let's face it, back then we had our problems, still coming out of the slumber under Swales. We were poorly managed and even when we put money in we managed to fuck it up, somehow. That had nowt to do with how much money we received from the league, it was all about how our Chairman and Managers hadn't a clue what they were doing.

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Mase » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:11 am

I have a hard time feeling sorry for any shitty little club that's going to be hurt by this after they themselves voted for FFP to try and screw us over, not realising that it's them it hurts. So fuck um.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby BlueinBosnia » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:21 am

Beefymcfc wrote:The PL money never bothered me, it was the CL money that pissed me off because that made the divide. Now we are there every season, are we against that still?

Yes - one of the main problems being the disparity between CL and Europa League money. Europa League cash is a trifling amount in comparison, and some clubs actually lose money by being in the competition. When you've got the Europa League actually acting as a 'barrier' between the haves and have-nots due to the low levels of income it brings, then surely it's one of the roots of the problem you're complaining about, i.e. the lack of competitive effort from clubs lower down the PL.
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:22 am

Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:Anything that makes the split less even and weighted towards the "haves" can't be a good thing. It's what we all hated before, when we were a "have not"

Beefy explained it very well so I can't understand why anyone would disagree - when we were a ''have not'' the money every club got then was nowhere near what they all get now.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Beefymcfc » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:46 pm

BlueinBosnia wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:The PL money never bothered me, it was the CL money that pissed me off because that made the divide. Now we are there every season, are we against that still?

Yes - one of the main problems being the disparity between CL and Europa League money. Europa League cash is a trifling amount in comparison, and some clubs actually lose money by being in the competition. When you've got the Europa League actually acting as a 'barrier' between the haves and have-nots due to the low levels of income it brings, then surely it's one of the roots of the problem you're complaining about, i.e. the lack of competitive effort from clubs lower down the PL.

But there's nothing anybody can do about it aa it's the nature of the set-up where it is a second rate cup competition. The whole UEFA set-up is flawed as it's neither for Champions or Cup Winners, it's just about the most money they can generate. And that's what we have, and we cannot change it.

So, are we saying that the funds from the PL and the CL should not be on a competitive basis and that all teams should get the exact same amount, regardless?

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby BlueinBosnia » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:44 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:
BlueinBosnia wrote:

But there's nothing anybody can do about it aa it's the nature of the set-up where it is a second rate cup competition. The whole UEFA set-up is flawed as it's neither for Champions or Cup Winners, it's just about the most money they can generate. And that's what we have, and we cannot change it.

So, are we saying that the funds from the PL and the CL should not be on a competitive basis and that all teams should get the exact same amount, regardless?

No, what I'm saying is that the disproportionately lower money received from competing in the Europa League is an impediment to the teams lower down the league trying harder, and needs to be addressed (maybe make it 40-50% of the value of the CL, as opposed to the 15-20% it currently is).

Or an alternative would be to merge the two competitions, with a Tier A with 8 groups of 4 and a Tier B with 16 groups of 4. The Top 2 teams from each Tier A group progress to the CL, along with the 16 Tier B group winners, and the bottom 2 in each Tier A group and 2nd place in Tier B going into the Europa League. In total, that'd be 96 clubs, with a minimum of one from each country (with the other 41 drawn from the strongest 12-15 leagues), and no qualifications. It'd allow the Tier B clubs a chance at the big prize money, and wouldn't inhibit investment in the way a Europa League place currently does. It'd also stop clubs in tiny leagues from being able to hoard prize money from qualifying rounds (which are over and done with by the time a domestic season kicks off), which maintains their place as the biggest fish in a small pond, by forcing them to play at least 6 European matches, potentially weakening their domestic performances.
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:58 pm

Hated these things when we were shit and still do. Minor change admittedly but one more thing to make it less competitive. For our finances this is meaningless.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby john68 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:27 pm

No matter how much EuFA, the G14 and the Prem have corrupted football, It is the clubs themselves and we fans too that also have to share some of the blame as to why the CL and the Prem have become the only competitions that matter, whilst the FA Cup, League Cup and the Europa League have now become perceived as second rate comps, not worth our effort.

In 1970, the European Cup Winners' Cup was in reality a very junior third comp to the Eropean and Fairs Cups but winning it was every bit as good as winning the League in '68 or the FA CUP in '69 and the excitement it generated was equally as good.

It now seems that income channels have more importance than even trying to win some trophies. many clubs even choosing to play weakened teams and not seriously trying to win. It's a sad state of affairs when finishing fourth takes precedence over winning a trophy.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:05 am

john68 wrote:No matter how much EuFA, the G14 and the Prem have corrupted football, It is the clubs themselves and we fans too that also have to share some of the blame as to why the CL and the Prem have become the only competitions that matter, whilst the FA Cup, League Cup and the Europa League have now become perceived as second rate comps, not worth our effort.

In 1970, the European Cup Winners' Cup was in reality a very junior third comp to the Eropean and Fairs Cups but winning it was every bit as good as winning the League in '68 or the FA CUP in '69 and the excitement it generated was equally as good.

It now seems that income channels have more importance than even trying to win some trophies. many clubs even choosing to play weakened teams and not seriously trying to win. It's a sad state of affairs when finishing fourth takes precedence over winning a trophy.

Couldn't agree more old timer.
I can't for the life of me understand why smaller clubs vote for these things. Same when Premier League was set up.

I long for the days of old European cup competitions but I realize through my son that they will never come. Champion's League is such a major thing for kids these days. That, and league, is all the harp on about at scholl ad on the training. Old fashioned Cup competitions don't mean much to them.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Return to The Maine Football forum