World Cup Semi-Final | Croatia v England

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: World Cup Semi-Final | Croatia v England

Postby Woodyblue » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:57 pm

john@staustell wrote:
Woodyblue wrote:One shot on goal in 120 minutes Kane was garbage

You've played football?

I have yes. After the first game Kane was lauded as a contender for golden boot and one of the best strikers in the world. He has just played 120 minutes without a shot on target.
Woodyblue
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Mario Ballotelli

Postby zuricity » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:00 pm

nottsblue wrote:
zuricity wrote:
nottsblue wrote:Well, we got what we deserved in the end. After the early goal I really thought we would do it but Southgates limitations were brutally exposed. He made some terrible substitutions and at the wrong times. Croatia were much more lively and had a game plan which they executed well.

Still, a semi final place was much more than I thought we would achieve a month ago. All in all over the tournament we did well and we can hold our heads high.

Don't write such siht ! Game plan ? Croatia scored two speculative goals, that is not a game plan . Englands fault is the manager , who for no reason felt it was ok to take off the one player keeping croatia at bay . Big cock up.

They had more shots than us, ran the midfield and passed the ball about a lot better than us and posed more of a threat in our box than we did in theirs.

That makes it a game plan ?

I don't think so , Modric and Raketic were missing most of the game.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby nottsblue » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:09 pm

zuricity wrote:
nottsblue wrote:
zuricity wrote:
nottsblue wrote:Well, we got what we deserved in the end. After the early goal I really thought we would do it but Southgates limitations were brutally exposed. He made some terrible substitutions and at the wrong times. Croatia were much more lively and had a game plan which they executed well.

Still, a semi final place was much more than I thought we would achieve a month ago. All in all over the tournament we did well and we can hold our heads high.

Don't write such siht ! Game plan ? Croatia scored two speculative goals, that is not a game plan . Englands fault is the manager , who for no reason felt it was ok to take off the one player keeping croatia at bay . Big cock up.

They had more shots than us, ran the midfield and passed the ball about a lot better than us and posed more of a threat in our box than we did in theirs.

It was sadly better than ours
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby branny » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:11 pm

zuricity wrote:
nottsblue wrote:
zuricity wrote:

We were flapping when they were putting pressure on. We didn't have a Modric to get hold of the ball and take the sting out, we had Henderson and Alli who just launched it, even the full backs started doing it. Kane was a passenger and Southgate couldn't see it.
Balotelli......that's a brilliant finish.
branny
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: God's own club
My favourite player is: Tueart

Postby Beefymcfc » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:12 pm

Bilic -'We slaughtered them second half. Kane did fuck all and England took their best threat off, which then we really dominated' or words to that effect.

We all know the score.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Cocacolajojo » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:53 am

As long as you don't do what you always do you'll be fine. You'll come back even stronger for the euros IMO. Don't change and chop.
Cocacolajojo
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Agüero

Postby blues-clues » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:56 am

We over performed given the resources we had. The easiest possible run helped. Very limited threat in open play. Midfield were generally poor, Henderson, Ali and Lingard trio is not going to dominate or intimidate any good team. The quality we have at City exploits the speed and challenge that Sterling brings to the pitch, Trippier aside, England simply didn't have enough movement to use Sterling to full effect. Kane clearly crocked for the last two games looks like he will steal the golden boot.

Though Trippier and Young were good doing what was asked of them and same but to a lesser extent the three defenders.

Third/fourth playoff could be a city training game but I hope both teams play their second 11 and the City boys get a rest. Really don't need Walker Stones Delph and Kompany going into heavy challenges with Sterling and KDB over a losers cup.
blues-clues
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Joe Corrigan

Postby johnny crossan » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:11 am

blues-clues wrote:We over performed given the resources we had. The easiest possible run helped. Very limited threat in open play. Midfield were generally poor, Henderson, Ali and Lingard trio is not going to dominate or intimidate any good team. The quality we have at City exploits the speed and challenge that Sterling brings to the pitch, Trippier aside, England simply didn't have enough movement to use Sterling to full effect. Kane clearly crocked for the last two games looks like he will steal the golden boot.

Though Trippier and Young were good doing what was asked of them and same but to a lesser extent the three defenders.

Third/fourth playoff could be a city training game but I hope both teams play their second 11 and the City boys get a rest. Really don't need Walker Stones Delph and Kompany going into heavy challenges with Sterling and KDB over a losers cup.

Don't fall for the Ratboy excuse, Carthorse Kane was just really poor - as he often is. Southgate confirmed after the game he was 100% fit so forget the Karius type snow job.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Original Dub » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:16 am

blues-clues wrote:We over performed given the resources we had. The easiest possible run helped. Very limited threat in open play. Midfield were generally poor, Henderson, Ali and Lingard trio is not going to dominate or intimidate any good team. The quality we have at City exploits the speed and challenge that Sterling brings to the pitch, Trippier aside, England simply didn't have enough movement to use Sterling to full effect. Kane clearly crocked for the last two games looks like he will steal the golden boot.

I've read this a few times - less resources??

England beat Columbia and Sweden. Both ranked lower and under dogs. I'm not even mentioning Tunisia and fucking Panama.

Even Croatia were under dogs.

Gareth Southgate is a fucking moron. He has always been a fucking moron and a terrible manager.

He is the reason England are not in a world cup final.

He played too many players out of position and made the wrong subs consistently.

He'll probably come back to a hero's welcome, but I'd bin him and get Eddie Howe in asap.
Original Dub

Postby Outcast » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:13 am

Original Dub wrote:

I've read this a few times - less resources??

England beat Columbia and Sweden. Both ranked lower and under dogs. I'm not even mentioning Tunisia and fucking Panama.

Even Croatia were under dogs.

Gareth Southgate is a fucking moron. He has always been a fucking moron and a terrible manager.

He is the reason England are not in a world cup final.

He played too many players out of position and made the wrong subs consistently.

He'll probably come back to a hero's welcome, but I'd bin him and get Eddie Howe in asap.

That's a tad harsh, what is it with England, you're either at top of the world or shit? Is there no middle ground? You can't tell me that little shrimp Dechamps is a great manager, yet he's in the final! My point is, Southgate doesn't have great midfielders at his disposal, you cant win the world cup with Hendo in the middle, he did alright but he isnt Silva who can hold and thread balls. The only player with potential to fill that gap is Foden.
Outcast
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby sheblue » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:37 am

Still can't understand the substitution to bring sterling off and bring on that complete donkey. Very strange one.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Outcast » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:49 am

sheblue wrote:Still can't understand the substitution to bring sterling off and bring on that complete donkey. Very strange one.

There is no mention how many times the messiah gave the ball away, as for Vardy, did fuckall.
Outcast

Postby blues-clues » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:49 am

Aren't we in the middle ground now - we got to the semi - clearly we are not shit. Anyone who thought we were top of the world was delusional. We did better than expected - we did better than Spain, Brazil, Argentina and Germany... but would we have beaten any of them?
blues-clues
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: Joe Corrigan

Postby Original Dub » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:01 am

blues-clues wrote:Aren't we in the middle ground now - we got to the semi - clearly we are not shit. Anyone who thought we were top of the world was delusional. We did better than expected - we did better than Spain, Brazil, Argentina and Germany... but would we have beaten any of them?

I'd say most people expected you to beat Columbia and Sweden mate?

In answer to the above post, where it's questioned whether Deschamps is a great manager... you don't have to be a great manager to win the world cup. If you have a very good group of players who play top flight football, you just need to make sure there is harmony, shape, players playing in their best position and the right subs at the right time.

Southgate created harmony by all accounts.

And that's all.

His substitutions were cowardly and predictable. He played the whole team around Trippier, which meant pushing Sterling and Walker out of position. He changed tactics at the first sign of a setback.

I don't even know why I'm debating this tbh, it's Gareth fucking Southgate.

You've a great young team and you need a fearless manager who will keep the harmony and also do the football manager stuff. Get Eddie Howe in ASAP and you will be contenders for both the Euros and the next World Cup IMO.
Original Dub

Postby carolina-blue » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:08 am

Original Dub wrote:
blues-clues wrote:Aren't we in the middle ground now - we got to the semi - clearly we are not shit. Anyone who thought we were top of the world was delusional. We did better than expected - we did better than Spain, Brazil, Argentina and Germany... but would we have beaten any of them?

In answer to the above post, where it's questioned whether Deschamps is a great manager... you don't have to be a great manager to win the world cup. If you have a very good group of players who play top flight football, you just need to make sure there is harmony, shape, players playing in their best position and the right subs at the right time.

And that's all.

His substitutions were cowardly and predictable. He played the whole team around Trippier, which meant pushing Sterling and Walker out of position. He changed tactics at the first sign of a setback.

You've a great young team and you need a fearless manager who will keep the harmony and also do the football manager stuff. Get Eddie Howe in ASAP and you will be contenders for both the Euros and the next World Cup IMO.

Good post Dub
But it won’t happen Southgate fits the FAs m o
I do like the way he dealt with the media over the crap they were giving Sterling though
carolina-blue

Postby bobadji » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:28 am

Original Dub wrote:

And that's all.

Absolutely spot on. Southgate dropped a massive bollock last night, because he's tactically inept really.

Sterling should not have come off, the only player on the pitch who worried the defenders. Rashford was so fucking shit it was untrue, constantly running down the blindest of alleys, losing the ball possibly every time? Vardy didn't touch the ball (as per in an England shirt), Rose was ok but an obvious decision, and Dier just isn't a good footballer.

Alli has been unfit/shit all WC, and last night it was obvious, even before Croatia scored, that he was out on his feet. They were dominating the Alli/Young flank, and a change was needed. RLC, or especially Delph, would've added the energy needed to get out to the overlapping full back, glaringly obvious to anyone watching, instead Alli plays 120 minutes, bringing fuck all to the game.

Henderson is utter garbage, the amount of aimless 30 yard punts up field when we needed to just conserve energy with a bit of possession was unreal.

The team we have is a solid one, but we'll get nowhere without a player who wants the ball and is comfortable on it, ala Modric. They don't come around everyday, Foden could be one, but who knows.
bobadji
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

My favourite player is: Ned

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:49 am

If we were to go out I wanted them to sub Sterling and put super duper messi Rashford on..Only to shut the fuckign imbeciles up as Im sick and tired of arguments Im having with pricks who know nothing........nothing about football.

Croatian manager was fuckign wanking himself silly when Southgate subbed Sterling...that's how much of a clueless gimp Southgate is at tactical changes,
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Hazy2 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:20 pm

The scum players cost us......
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Sideshow Bob » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:38 pm

these player ratings are f*cking shocking, even for the guardian. sterling rated lower than alli and henderson! henderson with "another impressive display"...ycnmiu.

Jordan Pickford Two important saves to thwart Mandzukic but had no chance with either Croatia goal. 7

Kyle Walker Made some vital blocks but caught out when Perisic nipped ahead of him for his goal. Booked. 7

John Stones Looked so composed for long periods but was caught ball-watching for Mandzukic’s extra-time goal. 6

Harry Maguire So dependable, close to scoring but lucky not to be penalised for grappling with Lovren. 8

Kieran Trippier Best right wing-back/right-back in the tournament. Curled in a superb free-kick after only five minutes. 7

Jordan Henderson Another impressive display. Ran himself into the ground before Dier took over in the middle. 7

Ashley Young Not a natural defender and had his work cut out against Rebic. Replaced by Danny Rose. 6

Jesse Lingard Tireless defensively and worked hard to support the attack. Missed a good chance at 1-0. 6

Dele Alli Lively in the first half, when he showed some neat footwork, but faded as Croatia improved. 7

Harry Kane Worked hard but had little impact. Crucially, should have doubled England’s lead before half-time. 6

Raheem Sterling Darting runs in behind made him a threat but end-product not there. Replaced by Rashford. 6

Subs Marcus Rashford (for Sterling 74) 6, Danny Rose (for Young 91) 6, Eric Dier (for Henderson 97) 6, Jamie Vardy (for Walker 112) 6
Sideshow Bob
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Jonny Evans

Postby PeterParker » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:45 am

As an outsider.

England looked that they really, really overachived by going this far. The general opinion is that the route they had was really good and they were smart by losing the game against Belgium.
Looking back, you looked really really top against Panama, still, a small country, but that managed to arrive here, while other top teams didn't. "It's coming home" was never a thing, just some marketing bollox.

Sadly, I think the FA will stay behind with Southgate, who, to be fair, looked clueless at best and it is a bad thing looking at the current squad. England has full young top player that really shine at their clubs and could be huge at the international stage with a proper manager, and by proper I mean someone different than Southgate, Fat Sam or Capello. They need a proven coach, maybe even Low, but one that knows how to handle the international stage.

Overall, the fellas should receive a proper welcome back, because no one will remember the easy games they had, or that they played poor, but it will stick forever that they could finish 3rd.

Also, as a personal opinion, this WC showed again how depandable is Raheem of a top manager that could understand and use him right. He played poor, no doubt, but it was not the worst and his morale is down because the bent media is making him responsable.

As I grew with the best romanian generation, I would give a lot to see us qualify at a world cup, not just reach the semi's. So be glad and realistic, they did the maximum from my point of view.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum