is jesus good enough...

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

is jesus good enough...

Postby Nigels Tackle » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:13 am

...to replace kun?
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Re: is jesus good enough...

Postby mr_nool » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:15 am

Nigels Tackle wrote:...to replace kun?

Not yet. He's far from the finished article. He might be in a year or two when Kun retires, though.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby iwasthere2012 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:27 am

He has a lot to learn, but he has all the tools. Can score with either foot. Has scored with his head also(despite the weekend miss)
Works his socks off and gets into the six yard box.

A lot to work on, like first touch and one touch football, but he’ll get there.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:52 am

He seems to have reached a plateau in the last few months, so as things stand no. I'm hoping (and believe) he'll push on at sometime this season and fulfill his potential so he could step into Aguero's shoes and we won't see a drop-off in our threat on goal. However, when Aguero leaves we'll need a new striker anyhow, and a good one at that.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby Elvistheblue » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:18 am

Nowhere near good enough at the moment. Aguero can change games on his own, scoring goals from all over the place...Jesus rarely scores anything other than from inside the six yard box.....not that I can remember anyway. Don't get me wrong, he's going to be a great player, but if you want to replace Aguero, Jesus isn't the answer for me.

There are some on social media that go into meltdown when Jesus doesn't play instead of Aguero...I don't get that.
Elvistheblue
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Supporter of: Gods own club
My favourite player is: Spannish Dave

Postby Mase » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:30 am

Not good looking enough for me but if he gets rid of that stupid goatee he will be taking a step in the right direction.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:44 am

Quite a way off, he gets a lot of his shots on target but they seem to find the keeper far too often, and doesn't really score from range very much unlike Sergio. Even when/if he improves those aspects he will still be a different sort of player and we'll need another forward when Serge goes.
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Nigels Tackle » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:45 am

Hutch's Shoulder wrote:Quite a way off, he gets a lot of his shots on target but they seem to find the keeper far too often, and doesn't really score from range very much unlike Sergio. Even when/if he improves those aspects he will still be a different sort of player and we'll need another forward when Serge goes.

interesting that certain people on here ridicule for me for suggesting that finishing isn’t an issue...
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:03 am

nowhere near convinced by him yet.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby Hazy2 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:06 am

City will not replace Kun we will find another way. Kun is the best on the planet at what he does, funny but not rated in his home Country.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:14 am

Nigels Tackle wrote:
Hutch's Shoulder wrote:Quite a way off, he gets a lot of his shots on target but they seem to find the keeper far too often, and doesn't really score from range very much unlike Sergio. Even when/if he improves those aspects he will still be a different sort of player and we'll need another forward when Serge goes.

interesting that certain people on here ridicule for me for suggesting that finishing isn’t an issue...

Jesus scored a league goal every 4 shots he took last season, that's a very good return.

There's still lots of room for improvement, plenty of time on his side though and he's doing well, needs to impose himself more on games but I'm confident that will come.

As for replacing Aguero, we're talking arguably the greatest striker the Premier league has seen so he's got his work cut out.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Original Dub » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:07 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:

Jesus scored a league goal every 4 shots he took last season, that's a very good return.

There's still lots of room for improvement, plenty of time on his side though and he's doing well, needs to impose himself more on games but I'm confident that will come.

As for replacing Aguero, we're talking arguably the greatest striker the Premier league has seen so he's got his work cut out.

Nige still beating the same old drum? Call me a cynic, but I think he might have started the thread just to lead back to this "issue" :lol:

Jesus' main problem at the moment is that he gets a bit over excited and it can result in a bad touch or a rash decision. However, he seems to be his own biggest critic and his work rate is phenomenal, so all he needs is experience IMO.

There's very few strikers that could have taken that chance he did to take us to 100 points, given the circumstances and his age at the time. The talent is definitely there, as is the work rate.

I'd be interested to know how Kun compared at Jesus' age?
Original Dub

Postby The Maine Man » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:13 pm

He's only just starter shaving so it's a bit early to sat he isn't good enough but with good coaching and the right attitude he can become a very good player, maybe one of the best. He is learning from the best so City is his best chance of achieving that.
The Maine Man
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Vincent Kompany

Postby BlueinBosnia » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:33 pm

Question regarding his transition - would it be worth a 2nd or 3rd place finish one season to give him more game time, to ensure that we've got a world class striker on our hands for the next decade or more?

For me it would be, and I guess Pep could sell the idea to the owners, too. As for the time being, I think he's still got at least another season behind Aguero in the pecking order.
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:35 pm

Original Dub wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:

Nige still beating the same old drum? Call me a cynic, but I think he might have started the thread just to lead back to this "issue" :lol:

Jesus' main problem at the moment is that he gets a bit over excited and it can result in a bad touch or a rash decision. However, he seems to be his own biggest critic and his work rate is phenomenal, so all he needs is experience IMO.

There's very few strikers that could have taken that chance he did to take us to 100 points, given the circumstances and his age at the time. The talent is definitely there, as is the work rate.

Jesus's numbers are similar to Aguero's in terms of goal per game at the same age. Aguero's breakthrough year in terms of goalscoring came the year before he signed for us, 22 turning 23 that season.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby sheblue » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:02 pm

There are not too many good enough to replace Aguero.
GJ is 21 and still improving, give him a few years yet.
Raheem Sterling at 20/21 was deemed 'not good enough' by many.
KDB also deemed not good enough by Maureen........ :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by sheblue on Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Nigels Tackle » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:05 pm

Original Dub wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:

Jesus's numbers are similar to Aguero's in terms of goal per game at the same age. Aguero's breakthrough year in terms of goalscoring came the year before he signed for us, 22 turning 23 that season.

what about the season when he was 19 and scored 27 for atletico? then 21, 19 and 27 (in 42) before he joined us...
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Postby stevefromdonny » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:48 pm

Elvistheblue wrote:Nowhere near good enough at the moment. Aguero can change games on his own, scoring goals from all over the place...Jesus rarely scores anything other than from inside the six yard box.....not that I can remember anyway. Don't get me wrong, he's going to be a great player, but if you want to replace Aguero, Jesus isn't the answer for me.

There are some on social media that go into meltdown when Jesus doesn't play instead of Aguero...I don't get that.

so where did he shoot from when scoring the winner against southampton
stevefromdonny
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: man city
My favourite player is: any1 who plays for city

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:49 pm

@Nigels Tackle

He generally scored 1 in 2, similar to Jesus. That 27 in 42 was the season I was referring to as his breakthrough season, hitting elite levels
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Nigels Tackle » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:31 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:@Nigels Tackle

He generally scored 1 in 2, similar to Jesus. That 27 in 42 was the season I was referring to as his breakthrough season, hitting elite levels

in a team that finished 7th in the league that year
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum