Welcome Leroy Sané

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Welcome Leroy Sané

Postby Sideshow Bob » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:59 am

PrezIke wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/sep/05/toni-kroos-leroy-sane-germany?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Does Tony Kroos sounds like a good teammate?

Perhaps not for certain players he thinks he can talk about in the media. Compare that approach to Pep’s treatment of Leroy and questions about who he conveniently picks on given the political climate (immigrants, race, etc) and its hard not to notice a theme.

Ozil also didn’t necessarily handle his beef with the German team well but there are real issues about treatment of perceived immigrants, etc. around the globe and in the German FA so Kroos then literally went and made things up about what Ozil said (Ozil didn’t say players on the team are racist) and now throws Sané under the bus.

Ever heard of a private word? He’s an even worse Scholes of German football in the media. Please stop talking.

kroos is a f*cking bellend. he was absolutely dogsh1t in the WC, and now he has the gall to talk about sane who wasn't even there??
Sideshow Bob
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Jonny Evans

Postby zuricity » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:26 pm

Sideshow Bob wrote:
PrezIke wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/sep/05/toni-kroos-leroy-sane-germany?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Perhaps not for certain players he thinks he can talk about in the media. Compare that approach to Pep’s treatment of Leroy and questions about who he conveniently picks on given the political climate (immigrants, race, etc) and its hard not to notice a theme.

Ozil also didn’t necessarily handle his beef with the German team well but there are real issues about treatment of perceived immigrants, etc. around the globe and in the German FA so Kroos then literally went and made things up about what Ozil said (Ozil didn’t say players on the team are racist) and now throws Sané under the bus.

Ever heard of a private word? He’s an even worse Scholes of German football in the media. Please stop talking.

kroos is a f*cking bellend. he was absolutely dogsh1t in the WC, and now he has the gall to talk about sane who wasn't even there??

Even the BBC had an article about Kroos giving his opinions about Le Roy.

Surprisingly no HYS , Kroos would have been destroyed . Do these people in the media think these selective biases are not recognised ?
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Original Dub » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:35 pm

zuricity wrote:
Sideshow Bob wrote:

Surprisingly no HYS , Kroos would have been destroyed . Do these people in the media think these selective biases are not recognised ?

100pc they know mate.

The thing about propaganda, at any level, is that it feeds the egos of the masses.
So they know, but they don't care. As is the case whenever accountability is absent.
Original Dub

Postby zuricity » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:38 pm

Original Dub wrote:
zuricity wrote:
Sideshow Bob wrote:

100pc they know mate.

The thing about propaganda, at any level, is that it feeds the egos of the masses.
So they know, but they don't care. As is the case whenever accountability is absent.

Where's Wolfie when we need him . "Come the glorious Day" ?
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Saul Goodman » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:34 pm

How Leroy Sane's Schalke Apprenticeship Shaped Germany's 'Nonconformist' Star

It was never going to be easy for Leroy Sane to keep a low profile at Schalke.

To begin with, there were his famous parents, former Senegal striker Souleymane Sane and gymnast Regina Weber, who won a bronze medal for West Germany at the 1984 Olympics.

Then there were his looks. Tall and lean, with sharp cheekbones, honey brown eyes and a shock of frizzy black hair. Sane could conceivably have become a model had his football career not taken off. Norbert Elgert, Sane's coach with Schalke's under-19s, remembers his first impression being of a "nice-looking young man with a lot of talent for soccer."

Most importantly, there was his ability as a footballer. Blisteringly quick, master of the slaloming dribble and possessing a delicately calibrated left foot, Sane did not take long to attract the attention of Schalke's supporters.

"He was tall and very fast with big hair, so his appearance was quite 'flashy,'" says Karsten Jahn, a Schalke fan and blogger. "Plus his father, Souleymane Sane, is very well known in Germany, so people started noticing him straight away."

Schalke's youth academy, known as the Knappenschmiede or "miners' forge" in reference to Gelsenkirchen's coal-mining heritage, is one of the best in Europe. Its list of alumni includes such sparkling names as Manuel Neuer, Mesut Ozil, Julian Draxler and Leon Goretzka. Schalke's first team may not be able to compete with Bayern Munich, but the club's remarkable production line means fans have learnt that it pays to keep a close eye on the under-19s.

Elgert, 61, has been in charge of Schalke's U19s since 1996, aside from a brief stint as assistant coach in 2003-03. He first met Sane in 2005, when the youngster joined Schalke as a nine-year-old, but it was not until 2011, the year that Sane returned to the club following a three-year stint at Bayer Leverkusen, that the two men got to know each other.

Sane is carefree by nature, and Elgert diplomatically describes his attitude at the time as "improvable." There is a well-worn story about Sane being unceremoniously hauled off after 30 minutes of an U19s game against Wuppertal because Elgert felt the player, who had been training with the senior team, was not working hard enough.

Elgert could have used similar shock treatment at half-time of a UEFA Youth League group game away to Sporting Lisbon in November 2014. Schalke were 2-0 down and Sane had been anonymous, but some carefully chosen words from his coach prompted him to seize control of the match in the second half. He halved Sporting's advantage and then, after Felix Platte had made it 2-2, scored a stoppage-time winner.

"To motivate him at half-time, I said to him, 'This is definitely your last game for Schalke's U19s,'" Elgert tells Bleacher Report, a chuckle bouncing down the phone line from Gelsenkirchen.

"He looked at me and when we returned to the pitch, he decided the match in our favour. After the match, I said to him, 'You can come again for another match.'"

Sane had made his senior debut the previous April, and it was in the following season that he became a first-team player, his four goals in 14 appearances including a magnificent curling effort against Real Madrid at the Bernabeu on his Champions League debut. The 19-year-old in the No. 19 jersey had Schalke's fans at his feet.

"It's hard to find another player who was perceived so positively in such a short time," says Schalke supporter Jahn.

"He was young, he was from the youth academy and he was always running. Schalke are a working-class club, so they like hard-working football. That's what they saw in Sane. He was always smiling, and of course he's very pretty, so half the supporters just fell in love with him."

Behind the scenes, however, not everyone at Schalke was satisfied with him. Roberto Di Matteo, Schalke's coach at the time, told Sky Sports last year that Sane had "a bit of a chip on his shoulder" and had to learn to become "more humble."

The winger excelled the following season under Andre Breitenreiter, Di Matteo's more attack-minded successor, but his apparent disregard for defensive duties continued to cause concern.

"Andre was always telling Leroy that his defending wasn't good enough and that he needed to improve," says Toni Lieto, who reports on Schalke for Kicker magazine. "But Leroy just said, 'No, I'm good enough. I'm an offensive player, so I don't need to worry about it.' I think that's part of his character. Sometimes he's a little overbearing."

Sane enjoyed a stellar 2017/18 season at Manchester City, in which he won the Premier League and the Carabao Cup. But despite being voted England's Young Player of the Year after contributing 10 goals and 15 assists in the Premier League, Sane endured a difficult summer. Contentiously omitted from Germany's 2018 FIFA World Cup squad, he was chided in pre-season by City manager Pep Guardiola, who felt that Sane was "far away from his best" and needed to "regain his principles in terms of playing without the ball."

Confounding expectations that, having missed the World Cup and enjoyed a full pre-season, he would come flying out of the traps, Sane started City's first three Premier League games on the bench. He then watched from an executive box as they won 2-1 at home to Newcastle on the first day of September. The 22-year-old had also taken time to get going last season, when it wasn't until late September that he nailed down a starting berth.

He has since returned to the starting XI, scoring in City's 3-0 win over Fulham and setting up a goal for Bernardo Silva in last weekend's 5-0 rout of Cardiff, and Guardiola has said that he is happy with Sane's mental approach.

For his part, Elgert dismisses suggestions of any kind of attitude problem and says that at a time when the national team is crying out for fresh impetus, Sane is exactly the kind of player Germany need.

"He's a good character: open-minded, grateful, very self-confident, but without arrogance," he says. "He's a nonconformist, and I think that's very important. We need that in German soccer."

Sane's return to the international fold earlier this month brought with it new reproaches, with Germany team-mate Toni Kroos criticising his body language and saying that he had to be reminded of his responsibilities to the team. Kroos, ironically, has previously faced criticism in Germany about his own attitude, right up to the point of his exit from Bayern Munich, per the Mail on Sunday. Elgert believes that as far as Sane is concerned, the subject is a red herring.

"I'm very respectful of Toni Kroos, who is a great, great soccer player and a great, great human being, but I've known him [Sane] for a very long time, and it's not easy to change your body language because it's subconscious," Elgert says.

"Maybe sometimes his body language can be an advantage, like when he explodes on the pitch from a state of apparent lethargy. Sometimes Messi doesn't seem to be participating in the match, and then he explodes."

Germany's post-World Cup reconfiguration is now under way. Ozil and Mario Gomez retired from international football following the debacle in Russia, and Low has already awarded new caps to Hoffenheim's Nico Schulz, Bayer Leverkusen's Kai Havertz and Thilo Kehrer, Sane's former Schalke colleague, who is now at Paris Saint-Germain. As Low builds towards Euro 2020, Sane is expected to play a central role in the team's reconstruction.

"In general, people in Germany like Leroy. They like how he performs on the pitch," says Lieto. "Everyone wants to see him in the national team, and I think he will play a big role for Germany in the next few years."

In many ways, perceptions of Sane have not changed since he was a teenager: The 22-year-old remains a head-turner and a game-changer, but questions about his attitude persist. If he is to convince Guardiola and Low of his dependability, the coming months will be crucial. Nobody can be the "next big thing" forever.

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2797896-how-leroy-sanes-schalke-apprenticeship-shaped-germanys-nonconformist-star.amp.html
Saul Goodman
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bernardo Silva

Postby Mase » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:26 pm

Just continue to play Sanè please Pep. Forget about Mendy. Sanè is quality.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby patrickblue » Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:31 pm

Mase wrote:Just continue to play Sanè please Pep. Forget about Mendy. Sanè is quality.

Never thought I'd hear you say that!
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Postby Mase » Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:40 pm

patrickblue wrote:
Mase wrote:Just continue to play Sanè please Pep. Forget about Mendy. Sanè is quality.

Sanè and Sterling together is scary for the opposition. Just hope Pep continues to play them both.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby nottsblue » Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:43 pm

Mase wrote:
patrickblue wrote:

Sanè and Sterling together is scary for the opposition. Just hope Pep continues to play them both.

Mentioned this in the match thread. Width and pace. No team likes defending against that and few actually can. Throw in Aguero and the two Silvas through the middle and teams just get over run
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Mase » Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:46 pm

nottsblue wrote:
Mase wrote:
patrickblue wrote:

Mentioned this in the match thread. Width and pace. No team likes defending against that and few actually can. Throw in Aguero and the two Silvas through the middle and teams just get over run

And when we go to places like Klanfield we just need to attack. Play to our strengths.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby nottsblue » Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:52 pm

Mase wrote:
nottsblue wrote:
Mase wrote:
patrickblue wrote:

And when we go to places like Klanfield we just need to attack. Play to our strengths.

Noticed on the All or Nothing documentary before one of the dipper games, Pep said he was worried by their front three, but that man for man we were the better team.

We just need the courage of our convictions at Anfield and we can batter them
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Mase » Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:54 pm

Definitely
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby sheblue » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:56 pm

There should be no problem with Sane/Mendy. If they both do what their meant to do.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Saul Goodman » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:12 pm

sheblue wrote:There should be no problem with Sane/Mendy. If they both do what their meant to do.

But they occupy the same spot in the offensive half. You can see that when Zinchenko and Delph play Pep has them tuck into midfield in order to give Sane room on the wing.
Saul Goodman
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bernardo Silva

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:03 pm

sheblue wrote:There should be no problem with Sane/Mendy. If they both do what their meant to do.

There was no problem with them when Sane came on against Liverpool in the 5-0 last season.

https://www.nbcsports.com/video/man-cit ... -liverpool
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby patrickblue » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:21 am

Mase wrote:
patrickblue wrote:

Absolutely spot on.
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Postby bigblue » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:16 pm

bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Manchester's Only
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Nigels Tackle » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:19 pm

bigblue wrote:

anyone got his ‘successful dribble’ stat?
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:45 am

Nigels Tackle wrote:
bigblue wrote:

Why is someone disputing he's good at it?
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Mase » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:09 am

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:
bigblue wrote:

Why is someone disputing he's good at it?

Who was disputing Adama isn't good at dribbling? From what I remember the facts were he's a player that come from the championship that can't get in the Wolves team that's beating a player that's supposed to be a good left back?

Genuine question, from what I saw of Adama against us he just used his pace to knock it passed Mendy and run on to it. Is that dribbling?
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum