Replacing our Ageing Stars

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Replacing our Ageing Stars

Postby Tru_Blu » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:05 pm

This is showing to be the most important when trying to remain at the top. What I'm talking about are the teams captains and vice captains, the players that make this team click. First it was Kompany, looks like we may have a replacement in Stones and Laporte but I believe Silva is on a steady decline physically of course. Fern is the other with both his physical and mental game slowing down. The spine of this team is very important and to replace them is going to be a very hard task, I just hope for management that they see this as early as some of the fans. We saw arsenal and scum demise due to their unwillingness to replace their stars at the right time.
"Like all bullies, they've just found out that there is a much bigger guy in town, someone who is richer and more powerful than their worst nightmare."

Piers Morgan

Tru_Blu
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: oat-Rivaldo cur-KDB

Re: Replacing our Ageing Stars

Postby ruralblue » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:24 pm

Like you say we have replaced Komps long term with Stones and Laporte. Silva has little Silva to fit in. Ferns replacement is essesntial into how we play.
I haven't a fecking clue what I'm doing! Gillie come back man I want my sig back. As the Photobucket thingy gone?
ruralblue
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: MANCHESTER CITY
My favourite player is: KOMPANY / SILVA

Postby South Stand Balti » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:23 pm

The club have tried ti bring in a CM to replace Fern during the last 2 windows in Fred and Jorginho but been gazumped. The problem is well recognised but the deals haven't happened. It will cost us if we don't sort this soon.
South Stand Balti
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Sideshow Bob » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:05 pm

South Stand Balti wrote:The club have tried ti bring in a CM to replace Fern during the last 2 windows in Fred and Jorginho but been gazumped. The problem is well recognised but the deals haven't happened. It will cost us if we don't sort this soon.

the silver lining is that neither of those players was good enough for us. imo.
Sideshow Bob
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Jonny Evans

Postby South Stand Balti » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:14 pm

Sideshow Bob wrote:
South Stand Balti wrote:The club have tried ti bring in a CM to replace Fern during the last 2 windows in Fred and Jorginho but been gazumped. The problem is well recognised but the deals haven't happened. It will cost us if we don't sort this soon.

the silver lining is that neither of those players was good enough for us. imo.

Agreed. I did want us to land Fred as I thought he would suit the way we play, though he looks poor at the mo. I don't like Jorg at all. Far too slow in terms of pace and his constant short passes, slowing up the play. I read last week that he didn't have any assists at that point of the season and had created only 4 chances.
South Stand Balti
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby PeterParker » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:23 pm

From my point of view, Silva can't be replace, so after he will retire, our game will change a lot. Merlin is the type of player that comes once in a lifetime, and even if Bernie is fantastic, he is a different type of player.

As someone said, Fern is the player we need to replace, even from this winter. Sadly, Jorginho would had been fantastic, but he is a cunt.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby Clowncrete » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:28 pm

We will need a fern backup as early as January. If he gets injured, we are left playing gundo or stones there which would be catastrophic against better teams in the cl. I have no idea who can replace him though. The scouts will have to pull a rabbit out their hats.
Clowncrete
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Super Kev!

Postby Bluedj » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:28 pm

PeterParker wrote:From my point of view, Silva can't be replace, so after he will retire, our game will change a lot. Merlin is the type of player that comes once in a lifetime, and even if Bernie is fantastic, he is a different type of player.

As someone said, Fern is the player we need to replace, even from this winter. Sadly, Jorginho would had been fantastic, but he is a cunt.

David Silva, is just the ultimate. Just Special. Bernie has the ability to become something special too

I agree Fern1 needs someone to come in a fill his boots. I disagree that Jorginho would be fantastic. After seeing him in play in the Italian team, I didn't and still don't rate him at all
Bluedj
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: vincent kompany

Postby PrezIke » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:14 pm

I think we have had other targets in mind and know they weren't the only ones.

Jorginho was a wild situation, but I'd gladly take Ndombele or Neves right now. Haven't seen much of FDJ, but I think one of them will come this time by the summertime.

One issue will be the fees which could be astronomical as they are being quoted with 2 of them. I know it's not our money, but that is going to affect other purchases as FFP is still a thing.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby Beefymcfc » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:34 pm

We've replaced the majority as far as I can see and we have some decent youngsters coming through. I think the 3 we are looking at, Dave, Fern and Aguero, will start to rotate to the bench with the likes of B Silva, Foden and Jesus getting more exposure, until the old guard naturally fade out of contention.

We will also strengthen when we see the right person because, as the Boss stated, we !are mistakes but won't make them again.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Saul Goodman » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:29 am

Bernardo Silva should do quite well alongside De Bruyne in CM in the years to come.
He's quickly becoming my favorite City player. He always puts in a shift and his touch is incredible.
Saul Goodman
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bernardo Silva

Postby Outcast » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:57 am

I think we are going big on Fern's replacement either in January window or summer one, realistically more likely in the summer. There no point rushing it, we have to find the right fit, we have the cash seeing we didnt spend alot in last transfer window. Right now, can't think of an outstanding candidate, maybe Neves of Wolves, young with bags of potential. As for Fred, thats a bullet dodged.
Outcast
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Crossie » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:54 am

I feel happy with a mix of Bernie and Phil filling David’s boots.

Fern is a concern, if it took a long term replacement a year to adapt to our way then we should have made a signing in the summer just gone

Aguero probably has this and more season in him at the level he is currently at. Jesus isn’t an Aguero replacement so a world class striker, middle of the 3, is critical. There aren’t many around who are up and coming or just about there.

Everywhere else is in great shape for very long term
Crossie
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Vinny

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:13 am

This is old news, we replaced him with Charlie Corluka over a decade ago.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Hazy2 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:47 pm

Inter linked to Vinny.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Dameerto » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:30 pm

I hope we buy a rock solid DM next, even a young rough around the edges one. Fern needs a rest during the season and we're depending on him too much at the moment.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby PeterParker » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:56 pm

I really hope Rabiot is not an option.
That fella steals for a living.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby JamieMCFC » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:14 pm

Dameerto wrote: even a young rough around the edges one.

We have one of those Douglas Luiz, he just can't get a work permit.
JamieMCFC
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Saul Goodman » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:21 am

That Tan Guy from Lyon is supposedly being monitored. I assume as a replacement for Fernandinho. I'm not sure if he's a DM though.
Regardless, the quoted price is absurd and after wasting 60M on Mahrez I really hope Txiki is more cautious.
Saul Goodman
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

My favourite player is: Bernardo Silva

Return to The Maine Football forum