WTF! European Super League

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: WTF! European Super League

Postby bigblue » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:58 am

iwasthere2012 wrote:
Pretty Boy Lee wrote:I’m out if we join it.

Me too. Hate the idea.

It would be turning the sport into American wrestling. Selling a spectical, but that's it. Just a show with no greater roots behind it. Fuck everything about it
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Manchester's Only
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Ironpot » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:25 am

bigblue wrote:
iwasthere2012 wrote:
Pretty Boy Lee wrote:I’m out if we join it.

Me too. Hate the idea.

It would be turning the sport into American wrestling. Selling a spectical, but that's it. Just a show with no greater roots behind it. Fuck everything about it

That’s it in a nutshell. Fenwick Sports and the Glazers etc will be the driving force behind this shit. Their business model works well in the States i.e. it makes them heaps of money! They’re not interested in the game just the profits. A league whereby a team cannot be relegated for 20 years makes a lot of sense to them.

They can’t risk another Leicester never mind a City or PSG - that just fucks up their monopoly. Its hard to explain to Yanks (and Australians) why relegation and promotion is so important to the game.
Ironpot
Sun Jihai's Vacant Smile

Supporter of: City

Postby gillie » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:39 am

I'm done with football if this happens.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:51 am

I think they should all fuck off and set up this fucked up league. Rags can then move to London where their fanbase is whilst the rest of us get on with trying to keep the game as a sport rather than an entertainment business.

Let's face it, the PL has got by without them at the top for plenty of years now, I think Spurs have been better than them.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby johnny crossan » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:43 am

Beefymcfc wrote:I think they should all fuck off and set up this fucked up league. Rags can then move to London where their fanbase is whilst the rest of us get on with trying to keep the game as a sport rather than an entertainment business.
Let's face it, the PL has got by without them at the top for plenty of years now, I think Spurs have been better than them.

Trouble is Beefy, according to the Sunday Times, we're not part of 'the rest of us' our head boy is in the Super League vanguard

"Charlie Stillitano, is the entrepreneur driving the talks. His numbers had turned people’s heads, drawn them to clandestine meetings and got them asking big questions of their legal advisers. What can we do here? Would it be possible to just walk away from the Champions League? And domestic leagues? Could we exit La Liga, Serie A, the Premier League?

It was more than a year ago that he had seen a story in The Sun about one of those secret “European Super League” meetings in London. He wasn’t sure whether to believe it. But here in Der Spiegel’s well-sourced story, they reproduce a line from an email written by an adviser to Manchester City’s Abu Dhabi owners to the club’s chief executive, Ferran Soriano, concerning that story in The Sun. “We need to be very careful moving forward and avoid at all costs the perception of a cartel,” said the adviser. Soriano replied by saying that the clubs would have to find a more private venue for future meetings."

Maybe we will have to make a choice before long.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby RodneyRodney » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:20 am

MODS, how about a poll on this ? The Caf's got one going and they're 80% against it.
"Our planet is a BLUE planet" - Sir David Attenborough
RodneyRodney
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester; Patriots
My favourite player is: Enzo Francescoli

European Super League

Postby patrickblue » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:26 pm

Mods, can you merge this with the equivalent thread.
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Postby mr_nool » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:22 pm

RodneyRodney wrote:MODS, how about a poll on this ? The Caf's got one going and they're 80% against it.

Personally I'm 100% against it. Will probably switch to non-leauge football if this happens.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:28 pm

johnny crossan wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:I think they should all fuck off and set up this fucked up league. Rags can then move to London where their fanbase is whilst the rest of us get on with trying to keep the game as a sport rather than an entertainment business.

Trouble is Beefy, according to the Sunday Times, we're not part of 'the rest of us' our head boy is in the Super League vanguard

"Charlie Stillitano, is the entrepreneur driving the talks. His numbers had turned people’s heads, drawn them to clandestine meetings and got them asking big questions of their legal advisers. What can we do here? Would it be possible to just walk away from the Champions League? And domestic leagues? Could we exit La Liga, Serie A, the Premier League?

It was more than a year ago that he had seen a story in The Sun about one of those secret “European Super League” meetings in London. He wasn’t sure whether to believe it. But here in Der Spiegel’s well-sourced story, they reproduce a line from an email written by an adviser to Manchester City’s Abu Dhabi owners to the club’s chief executive, Ferran Soriano, concerning that story in The Sun. “We need to be very careful moving forward and avoid at all costs the perception of a cartel,” said the adviser. Soriano replied by saying that the clubs would have to find a more private venue for future meetings."

Maybe we will have to make a choice before long.

I'm fairly sure that we're in the thick of it and won't want to be left out at the final say. I read that it was the cartel clubs who were driving it and if it came off then we'd be one of those to 'benefit' from the lifetime inclusion. However, this is old stuff and for me it is what drove the recent change where historical wins went towards the calculation of payments, meaning the old cartel got more of the share. These things always come out and usually when the cunts want a bigger slice of the cake or when they feel they need to scupper certain clubs from getting ahead of them.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Re: European Super League

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:31 pm

Just change the topic title to the question you have posted mate. Also, maybe more answers such as 'As long as it doesn't affect the PL games'?

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby johnny crossan » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:40 pm

'No comment' doesn't do it for the Germans - they just lie through their teeth
Bayern Munich chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge is considering legal action over a report the German giants are involved in plans to launch an 18-team European "Super League" in 2021. Photo: Reuters
BERLIN
On Friday, German magazine Der Spiegel ran a report by Football Leaks, which claims Bayern could join Real Madrid, Barcelona, Manchester United, Manchester City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Juventus, AC Milan and Paris Saint-Germain in a European league, guaranteeing huge revenues for the 11 founding clubs.
Rummenigge says he will consult Bayern's lawyers, but insisted there is no question of the Bavarian giants leaving the Bundesliga to join a super league.
"I'm confused about the coverage," Bayern chairman Rummenigge, who is also honorary chairman of the European Club Association (ECA), told Sky.
"The fact is, no European club has ever approached the topic of a Super League."
"We (Bayern) stand totally behind our membership in the Bundesliga and also in the UEFA competitions.
"We have never questioned that. We will check this over the next few days with our lawyers."
"I can only say that the whole (Spiegel) article has a tabloid style, containing half-truths and untruths, which do not correspond to the facts," he added scathingly. Borussia Dortmund, the Bundesliga leaders, also rejected Spiegel's claim that they would be among a group of "invited teams", alongside clubs like Atletico Madrid, Marseille, Inter Milan and Roma, who would join, but could be relegated into a second tier.
"I have clearly said that Borussia Dortmund would not leave the Bundesliga for any competition on this planet," said Dortmund's CEO Hans-Joachim Watzke. "We feel very well in the Bundesliga and are happy when the rest of the Bundesliga clubs see it that way.
"From time to time, you hear of things like this, but clubs like Real Madrid and Barcelona would be much more involved in the planning."AFP
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby patrickblue » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:07 pm

The topic title is about the question asked.
I only did the poll because someone requested it,and there doesn't seem to be much fence sitting about it in the main thread.
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:01 pm

It can fuck right off
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:18 pm

Wasn't it said that the meetings were in secret? A good way for the Leaks to sensationalise the shot they spout with minor consequences due to them knowing that the cartel have all spoke about it at sometime when they were blackmailing UEFA into doing their bidding.

I actually believe that UEFA have leaked a lot of this to show the world how the likes of KHR use their influence to control UEFA and circle the wagons around the money. However, and as usual, the media aren't about looking into what has been produced but just use specific parts of the leak to hammer their partisan line.

That's why you just cannot take any credence from the media in this country. It's either about click-bait or bias fanboy comment.

Ps. Thought SS was a refreshing watch.

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:20 pm

Sounds like a resounding 'No' and even the 'Yes' couldn't put up a decent argument.

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby dazby » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:24 pm

I voted yes. I think every continent should have a Super League. I think it's inevitable. I'd query the relegation aspect of things and the qualification to play rules, but in principle I think it's a good idea.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:29 pm

dazby wrote:I voted yes. I think every continent should have a Super League. I think it's inevitable. I'd query the relegation aspect of things and the qualification to play rules, but in principle I think it's a good idea.

We already have a Super League mate, it's called the Champions League. This is about a breakaway league that would mean the teams who play in it no longer play in their domestic leagues. It's all hypothetical as it's obvious it would fall flat on its arse but quite interesting how the cartel use these scenarios to leverage power.

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby dazby » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:25 am

We have leagues across Europe where there is an 80% chance we know who's going to win it at the beginning of every season. The champions league has created this. The champions league can finish the job.

These clubs aren't going to change their tune and we are now a part of this.

I'm not saying I want this now. I'm saying it's inevitable and a matter of time as to when it occurs. There'll be one on each continent and then further down the track a global league.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Bluemoon4610 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:10 am

dazby wrote:We have leagues across Europe where there is an 80% chance we know who's going to win it at the beginning of every season. The champions league has created this. The champions league can finish the job.

These clubs aren't going to change their tune and we are now a part of this.

I'm not saying I want this now. I'm saying it's inevitable and a matter of time as to when it occurs. There'll be one on each continent and then further down the track a global league.

Global league? WTF! What's the point of a league where just about all the fans couldn't afford to travel to see their team - and that includes time as well as cost? Football will be the big loser if your "local" rivals aren't even from the same continent as you!
Bluemoon4610
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby BlueinBosnia » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:20 am

dazby wrote:I voted yes. I think every continent should have a Super League. I think it's inevitable. I'd query the relegation aspect of things and the qualification to play rules, but in principle I think it's a good idea.

If we don't like our continental league, should we be able to switch to another one that we consider more economically viable?
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum