WTF! European Super League

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: European Super League

Postby sheblue » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:43 am

Ridiculous nonsense. Just doesn't make any sense on so many levels.
It's all just about TV money. They don't care about fans.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby johnny crossan » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:32 am

dazby wrote:We have leagues across Europe where there is an 80% chance we know who's going to win it at the beginning of every season. The champions league has created this. The champions league can finish the job.

These clubs aren't going to change their tune and we are now a part of this.

I'm not saying I want this now. I'm saying it's inevitable and a matter of time as to when it occurs. There'll be one on each continent and then further down the track a global league.
are you German?
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby john@staustell » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:46 am

Given the lack of interest in anything European that we collectively have, due to being repeatedly shafted, we can look forward to half-empty grounds if this lunacy ever happens.

Premier League all day long for entertainment
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby patrickblue » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:58 pm

patrickblue wrote:Mods, can you merge this with the equivalent thread.

I did mean keep the poll.
DOH
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Re: WTF! European Super League

Postby City64 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:40 pm

Wow PSG have filed court proceedings against UEFA tonight because UEFA have re opened PSG,s financial dealings .
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Mase » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:02 pm

City64 wrote:Wow PSG have filed court proceedings against UEFA tonight because UEFA have re opened PSG,s financial dealings .

Brilliant. I hope PSG destroy them.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:28 pm

I’ve been thinking more and more about this and I seriously don’t know if I’ll even keep watching football at all of his happens. I can’t support it but I can’t change clubs. It’s a serious hand on heart moment if this happens. If anyone from city reads this don’t even entertain this bullshit. Football is for the fans and nobody wants this.

Now if they wanted to swap the champions league with a concurrent euro league I’d be fine with that. Have your traditional big clubs qualify and the rest playoffs to make up the spots. I’d live with that.
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby carolina-blue » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:44 pm

Pretty Boy Lee wrote:I’ve been thinking more and more about this and I seriously don’t know if I’ll even keep watching football at all of his happens. I can’t support it but I can’t change clubs. It’s a serious hand on heart moment if this happens. If anyone from city reads this don’t even entertain this bullshit. Football is for the fans and nobody wants this.

Now if they wanted to swap the champions league with a concurrent euro league I’d be fine with that. Have your traditional big clubs qualify and the rest playoffs to make up the spots. I’d live with that.

To be clear I don’t want it , But I can’t see me turning my back on City , followed them to the depths of div 3 watching pure dross not just us but the opponents as well , So I will enjoy
watching us play the footie we are now against equally good opponents , in whatever league it is in
carolina-blue
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Justified logic » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:48 pm

carolina-blue wrote:
Pretty Boy Lee wrote:I’ve been thinking more and more about this and I seriously don’t know if I’ll even keep watching football at all of his happens. I can’t support it but I can’t change clubs. It’s a serious hand on heart moment if this happens. If anyone from city reads this don’t even entertain this bullshit. Football is for the fans and nobody wants this.

To be clear I don’t want it , But I can’t see me turning my back on City , followed them to the depths of div 3 watching pure dross not just us but the opponents as well , So I will enjoy
watching us play the footie we are now against equally good opponents , in whatever league it is in

But it wouldn't be City would it except as a shell for the Abu Dhabi United Group.
Justified logic
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:50 pm

It won't happen..the fans would not buy into it.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:59 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:It won't happen..the fans would not buy into it.

The proper fan (mostly) wouldn't but if the TV execs dangle enough money in front of the clubs I reckon they'd be suicidal enough to jump over the edge of the cliff, eventually.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby dazby » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:00 am

Peter Doherty (AGAIG) wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:It won't happen..the fans would not buy into it.

The proper fan (mostly) wouldn't but if the TV execs dangle enough money in front of the clubs I reckon they'd be suicidal enough to jump over the edge of the cliff, eventually.

Yep, we all know that it's not about fans at grounds, it's about a worldwide audience.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Bournemouthcityfan » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:19 am

Time for a statement from the club I think it’s bullshit cooked up by journos
Bournemouthcityfan
Robinho's Step Over

Supporter of: Manchester city
My favourite player is: Sergio Augero

Postby Ironpot » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:23 am

Here’s a different slant on it - I dont agree with it cos he doesn’t understand how the club has increased the quality of the product; but I can understand why he’s saying it. He goes off at a tangent in the end!

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foo ... 18551.html

For my sanity, can anyone say definetevly how much the top teams have spent in transfer fees over the last xx months? I feel that we’ve been outspent by the dippers and the scum but I might be wrong?
Ironpot
Sun Jihai's Vacant Smile

Postby johnny crossan » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:24 am

Good stuff from Marcotti
http://www.espn.com/soccer/blog/marcott ... dfield-woe

here's an Arsenal fan with a refreshing attitude too
Manchester City €2.7bn doping – and why it is good for football
1 Reply

Many will disagree with me, but I have no real issue with Sheikh Mansour pumping his billions into Manchester City.
It is his money, he has legally earn it. Why should be restricted as to how he spends it?

The important thing for me is that once he has given the money to Manchester City – whether it be through gifts or sponsorship – that money then becomes Manchester City’s. Manchester City are very different to Chelsea. They have zero debt. Sheikh Mansour has financed them and does not seemingly want the money back .He has not loaned them, the club does not sit with £2.7bn debt owed to the owner. Chelsea, meanwhile, currently owe Roman Abramovich £1bn.

This means if Roman was to ever leave, the club would be forced to pay off his huge loan, or the new owner be forced to take it on.
A lot of people are pointing out that Sheikh Mansour’s funding of the club infringes UEFA’s Financial Fair Play laws. This is a justified argument, but only works if you think that FFP was legitimate in the first place.

I have had problems with FFP since the day it was proposed. The theory behind FFP was understandable. It agreed to in principle in September 2009. The aim was to prevent football clubs spending more than they earn in the pursuit of success and in doing so getting into financial problems which might threaten their long-term survival.

But this was just the tagline the clubs already at the top of the tree put towards.
The truth is FFP was invented to stop the likes of Chelsea (and future clubs who get bought by billionaires) breaking the dominance of the established big boys.

UEFA Member Clubs feared that there could be a Chelsea in Spain, Italy and Germany. Clubs with little to no history being bought out by a super rich Russian or Arab who was happy to bank roll that club to success. Real Madrid, Barcelona, Manchester United, Liverpool, Juventus and Bayern Munich led the way for FFP. They were frightened that their monopoly on success could be ruined.

It is the old money / new money that you often see in Kensington when the super rich move in and decide to build an iceberg basement.
Those currently living on the street are against the basements works, even though they have already spent millions on their own one. Once they have their own basement in place, they do not want a new guy moving next doors, building his own one, disturbing the street.

It is the same in football.
The likes of Manchester United, Barcelona and Real Madrid because they were the richest clubs of the time period. The had the owners who bankrolled them to the success that made them a big club. Whether it be TV companies (Sky with Manchester United); Dictators (General Franco and Real Madrid) or companies (Littlewoods Pools and Liverpool).

All of these clubs had, at some point, a wealthy benefactor that has enabled them to become the self-sufficient giants that they now are.
By introducing FFP, they were basically saying “we have had our wealthy benefactor who financed us to the top, we are now going to ban you from doing the same”.

The argument was that a Roman Abramovich or Sheikh Mansour created an unfair playing field, but the truth is the opposite.
By banning these characters putting money into a club, it mean that the already-rich would stay at the top, unchallenged by the not yet rich (Leicester City aside is a one season in a 100 thing). Elite clubs in Europe were basically solidifying their place at the top table but restricting what other clubs could spend.

Whilst Manchester City ran away with the league last season, the Premier League is the most competitive in Europe’s top 4 (I do not count France as a top league). There have been 4 different winners of the Premier League in the last 6 years; Manchester United, Chelsea, Manchester City & Leicester City. There have also been 5 different sides to finish 2nd in those 6 years (Man U, Tottenham, Arsenal, Man City, Liverpool).

Prior to Chelsea being bought out by Roman Abramovich, just 2 clubs had won league titles in the preceding 6 years (Arsenal & Manchester United). The money that came in to Chelsea made the league more competitive. It stopped it being a 2 horse league.

A 2 horse league like La Liga – where Real Madrid or Barcelona have won 13 of the last 14 league titles. They also monopolise second place; with 12 2nd place finished in 14 years shared between the two of them. Only twice since 1950 have one of Barcelona or Real Madrid not made the top 2.

FFP was designed to keep Real Madrid and Barcelona at the top. To restrict a Chelsea (or later Manchester City) rising in Spain like they did in England. La Liga is now a boring and predictable league. A two team league. The Sunny SPL. It would be a lot better if a super rich owner came in, bought a mid size club, and smashed the Barcelona / Madrid monopoly.

Italy is similar.
I remember the glory days of Seria A being a highly competitive league. Juventus, AC Milan, Inter Milan, Roma, Lazio all won the league over a 7 year period. Juventus have now one the last 7 titles. How boring and predictable is that?

And the Bundesliga is no better, with Bayern Munich having won the last 6 titles.
This is what FFP does. It keeps the current establishment at the top by restricting what lesser clubs can spend.

Europe’s elite are basically saying “we have had decades of being the richest club, spending the most. We have had our benefactors come in and spend millions, now we are going to stop you.”

A final thought on this.
FFP was bought in to stop clubs going into huge debt. Manchester United, Juventus, Real Madrid, Barcelona and Liverpool – 5 of the clubs who drove for FFP – have combined debts of nearly £2bn.

Billionaire owners are good for leagues. They break up the establishment. As long as they pump money in and do not expect it to be repaid; then they are a positive. UEFA’s elite clubs used FFP to try and solidify their place at the top table. The same way they are proposing a European Super League where its founders are immune from relegation.

FFP is working in Spain, Italy and Germany as it is stopping other clubs becoming competitive. It is ensuring the old guard continue to win titles.

The Premier League is the most exciting, competitive in the world. And the only league where we have a mixture of old guard (Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal) and new money (Manchester City & Chelsea)

Keenos

This entry was posted in Arsenal and tagged Arsenal, Manchester City, She Wore, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon on November 6, 2018 by keenosafc.
Post navigation← Pride and togetherness back at Arsenal
One thought on “Manchester City €2.7bn doping – and why it is good for football”

Alphonso
November 6, 2018 at 10:48 am
Entirely correct.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Ironpot » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:41 am

Ironpot
Sun Jihai's Vacant Smile

Postby johnny crossan » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:36 am

BBC Report just now - Super League Breakaway Threatened by Rich Clubs - cue footage of Man City celebrating title.

Then the arch plotter Agnelli and his UEFA puppet announce to the obsequious BBC scouser Richard Conway that the whole greedy plan (and the kraut source) are simply a complete 'fiction'. No problem there then, a modest contrast to their screaming, howling, daily denunciations of City. Integrity free reporting at it finest for your licence fee.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby sheblue » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:14 am

johnny crossan wrote:BBC Report just now - Super League Breakaway Threatened by Rich Clubs - cue footage of Man City celebrating title.

Then the arch plotter Agnelli and his UEFA puppet announce to the obsequious BBC scouser Richard Conway that the whole greedy plan (and the kraut source) are simply a complete 'fiction'. No problem there then, a modest contrast to their screaming, howling, daily denunciations of City. Integrity free reporting at it finest for your licence fee.

Yes breakaway leagues and anything else wrong in football, all the fault of MCFC and that dirty oil money.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Chinners » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:23 pm

Pretty Boy Lee wrote:I’m out if we join it.

THIS
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Postby Nigels Tackle » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:34 pm

Chinners wrote:
Pretty Boy Lee wrote:I’m out if we join it.

THIS

oh hello....
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum