Top six - current status & final placings

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Top six - current status & final placings

Postby Dimples » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:04 pm

Over the next 6 games, Dippers and us will play 3 of the top 6.
Us: Dippers, Spuds, Rags
Dippers: Chelsea, Us, Arsenal
So far it is one apiece. We beat Arsenal. Dippers beat Spuds.
We have tough PL fixtures after each of the three CL games. Dippers do not (one tough fixture only).

There is potential for a big swing there - either way.
If the Dippers get the jump on us, they will be very hard to claw back. They will not be allowed to fail - if you know what I mean.
Dimples
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester city
My favourite player is: Sterling

Postby Plain Speaking » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:54 pm

IMO our home game against Liverpool will be crucial for deciding the PL title. Unfortunately we play them at a crap time in the fixture list.

We have away games at Leicester on the 26th Dec and Southampton on the 29th Dec then Liverpool on New Years Day.

They have 2 home games before the big match, Newcastle 26th and Arsenal 29th.

Our energy levels wont be helped with the extra travelling.
Plain Speaking
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby dazby » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:07 pm

Mate, we could lose to them twice and still win the league. It's all about being consistent.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Plain Speaking » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:07 am

dazby wrote:Mate, we could lose to them twice and still win the league. It's all about being consistent.

I accept that, but I think they have improved their team, and squad, significantly, since last season. I think they will be much more consistent and hopefully we will be too. That's why I think the head to head games will be so important.

We have had a series of relatively easy games in the PL so far, and have not hit our top form yet. It's good Mahrez is improving, I hope we are lucky with injuries, certain positions we have lack of cover.
Plain Speaking
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Dimples » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:21 pm

As a busy XMAS schedule kicks of thought it was time to reassess.

Football is a funny old game.
Liverpool are our only serious rival, we are better than them but they are only 2 points behind.
After yesterday they may start believing it really is their year - written in the stars.
If we slip up and they get their noses in front anything could happen.
XMAS period and our NY match against them are key.
Either team could open a gap during this period that would be very hard to close......
I still think it is very close, I rate it about 60/40 in our favor (maybe even less)

Revised final placings prediction:

Potential PL winners:

1. Man City:
positives: we are playing well, team spirit looks good, Kevin back soon
negatives: no Fern1 replacement, injuries to key players (Kevin, Kun, Mendy...), coping with CL matches

2. Liverpool
positives: they are grinding out wins while not playing well
negatives: front three potency form last season looks like a one off, squad depth, no midfield, CL or Europa league

Top four battle:

3. Chelsea
positives: Hazzard is a match winner
negative: Hazzard over reliance, David Luiz
4. Arsenal:
positive: they have their mojo back, can play beautiful football, can score goals
negative: defence is to weak, Ozil
5. Spurs:
positives: a fit first eleven are very good
negatives: players must know Levy is ripping them off, ground situation, squad depth, lack of investment.
This Summer I expect it all to start falling apart for Spurs - assuming their players actually want to win something and earn top $
6. Man Utd:
positives: Rashford
negatives: Jose, Woodworth, Glazers, Pogba, Lulu, defence, 'style' of play is outdated
They are accelerating backwards.
Dimples
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby sheblue » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:41 pm

On yesterday's showing Everton could well finish above the rags.
They could and probably should end up 7th.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby salford city » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:17 pm

Arsenal need to show up at the swamp on Wednesday. Something that they have rarely done since their title winning year. If they can put another 3 points between them and the scum it will be a big physiological blow. Top 5 is as is for me with arsenal and spurs swapping throughout the season. We need to retain the title, that is another tick off the list
Your job is cleaning boots
salford city
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Arsenal need to show up at the swamp on Wednesday. Something that they have rarely done since their title winning year. If they can put another 3 points between them and the scum it will be a big physiological blow. Top 5 is as is for me with arsenal and spurs swapping throughout the season. We need to retain the title, that is another tick off the list
salford city

salford city

Postby salford city » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:01 pm

Bloody phone......
salford city

Postby budfox » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:30 pm

If you look at Betfair, where people really do put their money where their mouth is, then it's pretty much a two horse race. We are 1/4, with the bin dipping scum at 5/1. Best of the rest is Chelsea at 64/1 and just for a laugh the rags are 660/1

Will we achieve at least as many points as the bin dippers do over the rest of the season? For me it's a resounding "yes". I have seen nothing in the way they play to make me think they're close to where we are, and I honestly believe the table lies on this occasion.

But for a missed penalty and a million to one freak goal yesterday the current two point gap would be seven points, and a far more accurate reflection of the season so far.
budfox
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Kev

Postby Dimples » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:16 pm

What do people think now?

I cannot see us winning the PL this season and I think it will finish like this:

1. Liverpool: Reasons: no injuries to key players, no CL as Munich will beat them, very easy run-in + 4 point lead, refs + penalties
If any one of Alisson, VVD or Salah miss a run of say 5 matches - we will win it.
2. Us: Reasons: injuries, involved in 4 competitions, cannot afford any slip ups as already -4 points

3. Spurs Reasons: first 11 is very good
4. Arsenal: Reasons: their attack, easy run in
Dimples
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby RodneyRodney » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:38 pm

Dimples wrote:What do people think now?

I cannot see us winning the PL this season and I think it will finish like this:

1. Liverpool: Reasons: no injuries to key players, no CL as Munich will beat them, very easy run-in + 4 point lead, refs + penalties
If any one of Alisson, VVD or Salah miss a run of say 5 matches - we will win it.
2. Us: Reasons: injuries, involved in 4 competitions, cannot afford any slip ups as already -4 points

3. Spurs Reasons: first 11 is very good
4. Arsenal: Reasons: their attack, easy run in

This is probably the most likely finish, BUT - they haven't had a wobble yet - until the other night - AND they are VERY dependant upon those 3 players.
Also they (like us) will have to play relegation-threatened teams fighting for their lives , who have seen that they CAN be beaten. They're still favourite, but I reckon we can make it a very close run thing. One little slip is all it takes . . .
"Our planet is a BLUE planet" - Sir David Attenborough
RodneyRodney
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester; Patriots
My favourite player is: Enzo Francescoli

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum