UEFA approve new third-tier club competition UEL2

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

UEFA approve new third-tier club competition UEL2

Postby JamieMCFC » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:44 pm

UEFA at it again looking out for the rags so they don't miss out on Europe. :lol:

UEFA have approved the creation of a third-tier UEFA club competition on Sunday, a tournament which will mirror the current Champions League and Europa League format, beginning in 2021.

At their meeting in Dublin, UEFA's Executive Committee finalised plans to introduce the event, with the working title "UEL2," in the 2021 to 2024 competition cycle.

It will ensure that at least 34 countries will be represented in UEFA club competitions, compared to today's total of 26.

The seventh-placed teams in Europe's four top-ranked leagues will qualify directly for the final qualifying round of the new competition, while teams entering the early qualifying rounds of the new competition will be mainly those finishing second, third and fourth in Europe's smaller leagues.

"The new UEFA club competition makes UEFA's club competitions more inclusive than ever before," UEFA President Aleksander Ceferin said.

"There will be more matches for more clubs, with more associations represented in the group stages. This competition was borne out of ongoing dialogue with clubs through the European Club Association."

The format will see eight groups of four teams, followed by the round of 16, quarterfinals, semifinals and final. Like the Europa League, matches will be played on Thursday.

An additional knockout round will be played before the round of 16 between teams ranked second in their groups and the third-ranked teams in the groups of the Europa League, which will run concurrently.

The new competition will feature 141 matches over 15 match weeks, exactly like the Europa League. The winner of the new competition will be entitled to participate in the Europa League in the following season.

The Europa League group stage, meanwhile, will be reduced from 48 teams to 32.

UEFA said that the Champions League would remain unaltered, meaning that the four top-ranked leagues -- currently Spain, England, Germany and Italy -- would each keep four guaranteed places in the group stage.

"No changes will be made to the format and access list of the UEFA Champions League," said UEFA.
JamieMCFC
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC

Re: UEFA approve new third-tier club competition UEL2

Postby BlueinBosnia » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:09 pm

JamieMCFC wrote:It will ensure that at least 34 countries will be represented in UEFA club competitions, compared to today's total of 26.

The seventh-placed teams in Europe's four top-ranked leagues will qualify directly for the final qualifying round of the new competition, while teams entering the early qualifying rounds of the new competition will be mainly those finishing second, third and fourth in Europe's smaller leagues.

I'm surprised that at least 26 nations are guaranteed representation in club competitions in the current system; I thought it was only 16 or 17...
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby sheblue » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:25 pm

Here we go again more nonsense from the masterminds at UEFA.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:32 pm

So UEFA have three seperate club competitions now, did you ever hear the likes of it?
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Nigels Tackle » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:39 pm

west ham reserves vs some team i've never heard of from latvia @ 6pm on a thursday
gonna be mega that
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby PeterParker » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:36 pm

It will be live on Disney Channel?
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby nottsblue » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:57 pm

One day someone in charge will realise less is more. Until then we will have more pointless games played in front of bored, nearly empty stadiums which no one really wants.
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Beefymcfc » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:07 pm

The European league is becoming just that, now into the 3rd Division. What comes next?

As long as there's some form of sponsorship, UEFA don't care, just another way of making money.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:17 pm

To be honest it would be nice as a fan to go to some more obscure places rather than just seeing the same teams from the same leagues every year, which is one weakness (among many) of the current CL format.
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby john68 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:26 am

We should be reminded that in 2005/6 FiFA were taken to court by Royal Charlois (Belgium) regarding compensation refused by FiFA, for a player injured whilst on international duty.
The claim was cosigned by the G14 group of cartel clubs.
It was well reported at the time that the clubs had won their claim for compensation for players injured during international games.
What wasn't widely reported was that the implication of the verdict that took away the rights of FiFA & UeFA to regulate global & European football, leaving them with the power of control only over those competitions they actually own & run.
It is the reason they had to seek a memorandum of understanding (renewed every few year) with the European Clubs' Assoc to compel clubs that qualified to enter the CL. It is also the reason why UeFA have little or no control of clubs wishing to break away to form a Euro Super League, or or any other comp clubs may wish to form.
To combat this, both football bodies have sought to expand their portfolios of comps considerably.
World & Euro comps covering both genders over a comprehensive number of age ranges.

It's all about generating & maximising profits. Fuck all to do with anything football.
European Division 3 football is another step to increase control and generate money.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby ross.mcfc » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:32 am

john68 wrote:It's all about generating & maximising profits. Fuck all to do with anything football.
European Division 3 football is another step to increase control and generate money.

Yep. This alongside the Copa Libertadores final being played outside South America is a sign of which direction football is going.
ross.mcfc
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Nigels Tackle » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:12 am

ross.mcfc wrote:
john68 wrote:It's all about generating & maximising profits. Fuck all to do with anything football.

Yep. This alongside the Copa Libertadores final being played outside South America is a sign of which direction football is going.

it will soon be the otro all stars doing a world tour
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Return to The Maine Football forum