The Worldwide Commercial Enterprise Continues - 10 years on

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: The Worldwide Commercial Enterprise Continues

Postby john@staustell » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:24 pm

'Famous for it's black stallion logo'

Hmm.....I thought that rang a bell somewhere!
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Blackadder » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:43 pm

It's not for Donkeys...
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx
Blackadder
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Supporter of: CITY
My favourite player is: Agueroooooooooooo

Postby john@staustell » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:07 am

China article - I had to register to this site eventually, to get to this article, though I didn't do it for the news last week of the sign up with eSports:

Why Manchester City's move into eSports in China is more than just football politics

Walk down the streets of Delhi or Kuala Lumpur, and you’ll notice a strange phenomenon: Manchester United Football Club is omnipresent. Much less the world’s most popular football club, United can claim to be the world’s most-supported sports team — by a country mile.

An independent Kantar study in 2016 suggested that as many as 10% of the world’s population — some 659 million people — support the Red Devils, 108 million of whom hail from China alone.

A cynic might suggest that Manchester City’s recent move into Chinese eSports was more than just savvy marketing. It is what a military tactician might call ‘soft power’. Rivalries stretch far beyond the limits of Greater Manchester.

Last year, City became the first Premier League club to launch a Fifa Online team in China, buying up sought-after players to compete in the Online Star League (FSL), with the aim of expanding their audience in the region.

Football politics aside, it’s a savvy brand-building move. The professional gaming industry may have been born in South Korea, but in no time, China, with its $32.5 billion gaming market, has easily eclipsed its southerly neighbour — and the United States. Asia now makes up half of the global gaming market, with China’s huge population accounting for a large slice of that pie, according to Newzoo, an eSports research agency.

The stigma against dedicating so many hours to gaming is a thing of the past in China. So much so, that, while Donald Trump can’t find $5bn to build his wall, the government in Hangzhou is investing half that amount to construct a four million square foot ‘eSports town’ — including an eSports academy, an eSports-themed hotel, and even a hospital specializing in treating players — to cement itself as the eSports capital of the world.

Though a burgeoning middle class with disposable income is emerging, China is still by far the world’s biggest and toughest market to break, whatever your business. And while the shackles of China’s closed economy are being broken by globalist Premier Xi Jinping’s hunger for international trade, it is by no means straightforward for brands to make their mark. Local customs and reams of red tape, plus the infamous Great Firewall of China, can be near-insurmountable. But in eSports, there exists a sort of backdoor for Western brands. Event sponsorship, plus product placement and the sponsorship of professional teams are perhaps the easiest routes to China’s 250 million-strong eSports audience.

When one considers that eSports are global by nature, the picture becomes clearer. Consider how many Chinese Man City fans will ever go to the Etihad, for example. Remarkably few, though it matters not. The Man City brand is there. Much in the same way that Chinese fans watching the English Premier League is privy to adverts and sponsorship from Western brands, nearly all eSports tournaments are streamed globally. If a brand is part of a major tournament anywhere in the world, Chinese fans will see it.

Likewise, the many local and national tournaments occurring on the mainland need prizes — usually money, cars, peripheral products, and smaller handouts. The desire for genuine Western goods is huge, presenting abundant opportunities for brands to have their products seen by a Chinese audience as an object of desire.

While both local and international tournaments are streamed, it is a less simple route to sponsor the streaming platforms themselves. Twitch — hugely popular in the West and much of Asia — was virtually unused in China, until it was, and the government banned it to favor homegrown platforms Douyu, YY, and Huya. Each boasts tens of millions of users, and each can be sponsored if you know how.

In this context, the Man City approach is especially interesting. It looks to build mass ‘followership’ rather than add diehard fans, something eSports lends itself well to owing to its strength in building mass engagement and encouraging interaction. It’s also based on an understanding that China has a very different digital landscape to any other market in the world owed to the unique way that Chinese consumers use digital platforms and share content. It’s the perfect combination of sharp brand objectives and local understanding.

Brands looking to break China through eSports need to be equally fastidious. Local knowledge and trusted partners with boots on the ground are a must. While great leaps have been made to lessen hostility to Western firms, it is by no means a cinch. An FMCG brand, for example, will undoubtedly experience greater challenges when it comes to nuanced messaging and creative executions than a football club. There are rules to be followed, customs to abide by, and vastly different business culture to the West.

It may seem like low hanging fruit but remember — not everyone has the financial clout of Manchester City.

Peter Reid is chief executive of MSQ Partners
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Nigels Tackle » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:12 am

peter reid never came acroess as that knowledgeable about esports and the chinese market when he was with us.
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby john@staustell » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:17 am

Nigels Tackle wrote:peter reid never came acroess as that knowledgeable about esports and the chinese market when he was with us.

Thick as fuck.

Probably went to Uni as a mature student :D
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby john@staustell » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:51 am

Slightly more interesting than the usual tampons in Taiwan - a bit of high finance for CFG:

http://www.insideworldfootball.com/2019 ... ment-fund/

January 29 – Sapphire Ventures has raised $115 million for a new sport venture capital fund and has Manchester City owners, City Football Group (CFG) as one of its cornerstone backers.

Sapphire Ventures was formerly the corporate venture capital arm of SAP, focussed on investing in technology ventures. The sports fund will be similarly focussed on digital sports investments.

The fund expects to make between five and six investments per year, of between $3

7 million. Current investments include at-home fitness system Tonal, live soccer streaming platform mycujoo, digital sports network Overtime, ticketing and events platform Fevo and gaming studio Phoenix Labs.

CFG’s participation in the fund is, according to a press release, “as a lead partner in the fund, which comprises owners and investors from across major US sports leagues; NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL and MLS as well as from related industries.”

Other fund investors include Adidas, the owners of the Indiana Pacers, New York Jets, San Jose Sharks and Tampa Bay Lightning.

CFG which to date has focussed its core investment model on building a group football club franchises the include Melbourne City in Australia’s A-League and MLS franchise New York City Football Club, said the new investment “approach complements its original global, multi-club model, as Sapphire Sport sits alongside other football-related businesses and investments, including recreational facilities (a joint venture with GOALS Soccer Centres in North America), media ventures (Dugout), eSports, football schools and recreational coaching and eleven commercial offices across eight countries.”

Ferran Soriano (pictured), CEO of City Football Group, said: “Challenging the conventional approach is at the heart of our ethos at City Football Group…Our goal is creating winning teams, playing beautiful football, and most importantly, engaging and entertaining our fans all over the world. Through City Football Group’s partnership with Sapphire Sport and its portfolio of investments, we will continue to champion innovation across our business, experiment with emerging technology and work closely with some of the most forward-thinking brands in the world of sport.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby john@staustell » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:32 am

So after years and years of rumours, we have bought (part of) a Chinese club. I have long given up on trying to understand what these wierd and wonderful clubs do for us:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47302703

Manchester City's owners have bought a stake in Chinese third-tier club Sichuan Jiuniu FC - their seventh football club.

City Football Group purchased the club alongside artificial intelligence and humanoid robotic company UBTECH and China Sports Capital.

They are already majority owners of New York FC and Melbourne City FC.

Other investments include Yokohama F Marinos in Japan, Club Atletico Torque in Uruguay and La Liga side Girona FC.

Based in the Sichuan Province in South West China, China League Two side Jiuniu play at the 27,000-seater Chengdu Longquanyi Football Stadium.

"We believe strongly in the future of football in China," said City Football Group chief executive Ferran Soriano.

"We are making a long-term, sustainable commitment to grow and develop Sichuan Jiuniu FC and to nurture Chinese footballing talent."
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby john@staustell » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:49 am

john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby johnny crossan » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:29 am

Huawei our next gigantic sponsor?
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Nigels Tackle » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:43 am

johnny crossan wrote:Huawei our next gigantic sponsor?

no wei
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:03 pm

We are worth 2.5 billion and have a debt of FUCKALL.

Eat it Haters...fuckign eat it up !!!
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby dazby » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:43 pm

John, I think it has a three fold effect.

1. It brings awareness to the City brand in a different way.
2. It improves the scouting network.
3. It makes money!! See Aaron Mooy.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Dipstick » Wed May 01, 2019 10:45 am

"People say I'm egocentric, but enough about them." Lily Allen
Dipstick
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchster CIty
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby nottsblue » Wed May 01, 2019 11:12 am

Interesting article. But like all of these things, some figures are flawed. No way are Burnley worth more than Everton for example. The wages % of turnover is revealing though. And as our income increases, so this will drop further.

But taken as a whole, it does show how healthy we are as a club and that it won't be long before we overtake the rags in terms of revenue. They are already miles behind on the field and we are on their coat tails off it
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby john@staustell » Wed May 29, 2019 11:04 am

We now have JNC as our Baijiu partner, so there Mr Tebas!:

https://www.mancity.com/news/club-news/ ... artnership

Manchester City today announced a global multi-year partnership with JNC to become the Club’s Official Baijiu Partner.

JNC, a leading liquor manufacturer in China, will have the opportunity to engage with City fans with exciting consumer and marketing campaigns, match-day branding, as well as industry events.

JNC, an enterprise with more than 1,500 years of history, dates back to the reign of Emperor Dezong during the Later Tang Dynasty as an imperial liquor and Baijiu continues to be a popular traditional Chinese liquor to this day.

Damian Willoughby, Senior Vice President of Partnership at City Football Group, said: “It is with great pleasure that we announce this new global partnership and welcome JNC into the City family. Through the partnership we’re delighted to be able to highlight and educate our global fan-base on such an intrinsic aspect of Chinese culture.”

“As our presence continues to thrive in China, fruitful collaborations like this one with JNC will offer millions of our Chinese fans the chance to experience the club in new and innovative ways.”

Xia Bo, JNC Brand Director, said: ”JNC’s global strategic partnership with Manchester City will further strengthen the connections between the club and fans, which allows the Chinese football fans to experience the club’s passion and beautiful football, while the overseas fans will get to know JNC and Chinese baijiu culture through Manchester City.

“JNC join hands with Manchester City to enhance the brand image and social influence for both parties, and hope to offer excellent experiences for global football fans.”

Manchester City has expanded its presence in China over recent years and in February 2019, City Football Group announced the acquisition of Sichuan Jiuniu in China League 2, together with CFG shareholders CMC, through China Sports Capital.

Manchester City players will also be visiting China as they take part in the Premier League Asia Trophy in Shanghai and Nanjing in July.
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Wed May 29, 2019 4:27 pm

john@staustell wrote:We now have JNC as our Baijiu partner, so there Mr Tebas!:

https://www.mancity.com/news/club-news/ ... artnership

Manchester City today announced a global multi-year partnership with JNC to become the Club’s Official Baijiu Partner.

JNC, a leading liquor manufacturer in China, will have the opportunity to engage with City fans with exciting consumer and marketing campaigns, match-day branding, as well as industry events.

JNC, an enterprise with more than 1,500 years of history, dates back to the reign of Emperor Dezong during the Later Tang Dynasty as an imperial liquor and Baijiu continues to be a popular traditional Chinese liquor to this day.

Damian Willoughby, Senior Vice President of Partnership at City Football Group, said: “It is with great pleasure that we announce this new global partnership and welcome JNC into the City family. Through the partnership we’re delighted to be able to highlight and educate our global fan-base on such an intrinsic aspect of Chinese culture.”

“As our presence continues to thrive in China, fruitful collaborations like this one with JNC will offer millions of our Chinese fans the chance to experience the club in new and innovative ways.”

Xia Bo, JNC Brand Director, said: ”JNC’s global strategic partnership with Manchester City will further strengthen the connections between the club and fans, which allows the Chinese football fans to experience the club’s passion and beautiful football, while the overseas fans will get to know JNC and Chinese baijiu culture through Manchester City.

“JNC join hands with Manchester City to enhance the brand image and social influence for both parties, and hope to offer excellent experiences for global football fans.”

Manchester City has expanded its presence in China over recent years and in February 2019, City Football Group announced the acquisition of Sichuan Jiuniu in China League 2, together with CFG shareholders CMC, through China Sports Capital.

Manchester City players will also be visiting China as they take part in the Premier League Asia Trophy in Shanghai and Nanjing in July.

Excellent news. I've long thought that a Baijiu Partner was a significant gap in our commercial portfolio.
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby john@staustell » Wed May 29, 2019 5:03 pm

It seems liquor is an intrinsic part of Chinese culture. No wonder we get on so well.

City64 will be off there next holiday. If back from Reus yet!
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby bigblue » Wed May 29, 2019 7:03 pm

Hutch's Shoulder wrote:Excellent news. I've long thought that a Baijiu Partner was a significant gap in our commercial portfolio.

If you like drinking petrol you'll love baijiu
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Manchester's Only
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Cipher_F15 » Wed May 29, 2019 7:26 pm

Speaking of Chinese investments, how has the fluctuating course of the pound affected British clubs? I remember, back in the days of the first Brexit shock, reading this article entitled London’s post-Brexit property market: a boon for foreign investors. It was about the real estate market, but the point's the same for everything: the lower pound made it easier for external investors to enter the British market, and many companies and properties were bought by Middle Eastern and Chinese investors according to what I've read.
Cipher_F15
Bianchi's Matchday Snood

Supporter of: Man City (and CSKA)

Postby john@staustell » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:03 am

Muangthong in Thailand? Sponsored things? That name will have to change

https://www.sportbusiness.com/news/city ... ng-united/

Thai media are reporting a takeover bid of Muangthong by City Football Group, owners of Premier League champions Manchester City.

According to reports in the Bangkok Post, Muangthong officials are evasive about a takeover, with team director Ronnarit Suewaja saying: “t is normal for a world-class club like Manchester City with an international presence to expand into the Thai market.”

“Whether it will be Muang Thong United or some other team, you will have to wait to find out.”

Apart from Manchester City, other clubs in City Football Group’s portfolio include New York City in the USA, Melbourne City in Australia, Club Atletico Torque in Uruguay, Girona in Spain and Sichuan Jiuniu in China.

They are also part-owners of J.League side Yokohama F.Marinos, where Thailand international Theerathon Bunmathan is currently on loan from Muangthong.
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum