VAR

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: VAR

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:40 pm

I missed the game because of a family bereavement. But I got back to the UK in time to see it in a pub in Newcastle.
When they showed the replays I was so relieved to see the handball, as that is what VAR does, right?
I think the expert on BT said something along the lines of, "you can't score with your hand"
Everybody on the pitch knew it was handball. They even cut to Pep demonstrating which part of the arm it hit. The pictures were conclusive.
But it did seem strange that the ref was looking at the vaguest replay of the incident, other angles were clear.

I know we've been dry bummed by VAR last night but I stand by my opinion that it hasn't solved a Damn thing, but it is well on the way to ruining the spontaneity of the game.
Get rid of it before it makes things any worse.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby zuricity » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:58 pm

If this continues, the teams will play in empty stadiums soon. Fans will stop attending.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Blue Philistine » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:13 pm

Seems suspiciously chopped but check this whopper

https://mobile.twitter.com/beardedgeniu ... 56512?s=12
Blue Philistine
Robinho's Step Over

Supporter of: Witton Albion
My favourite player is: Bernie Silva

Postby Bluemoon4610 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:14 pm

Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:I missed the game because of a family bereavement. But I got back to the UK in time to see it in a pub in Newcastle.
When they showed the replays I was so relieved to see the handball, as that is what VAR does, right?
I think the expert on BT said something along the lines of, "you can't score with your hand"
Everybody on the pitch knew it was handball. They even cut to Pep demonstrating which part of the arm it hit. The pictures were conclusive.
But it did seem strange that the ref was looking at the vaguest replay of the incident, other angles were clear.

I know we've been dry bummed by VAR last night but I stand by my opinion that it hasn't solved a Damn thing, but it is well on the way to ruining the spontaneity of the game.

+1
Bluemoon4610
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby Blue Philistine » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:33 pm

Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:I missed the game because of a family bereavement. But I got back to the UK in time to see it in a pub in Newcastle.

I think the game was one of the best examples to date of how it absolutely destroys everyone in the ground and at home when used poorly. The result can't be taken back, nor will there won't be any explanation or accountability from those in charge if any error were to be proven (in my eyes Llorente shouldn't have kept his goal, nor should we). A complete 180 for emotions, and I'm still uneasy with the away goal system. That said, we did fuck it for most of their goals, both home and away.. Sadly.

I want nothing more than this to ignite our entire team to fucking annihilate every opponent we have left, starting with Spurs on Saturday. I felt we absolutely battered them in the second half especially.

P.S. Why are we so fucking hopelessly shit with corners? I almost always wish it was a throw in.
Last edited by Blue Philistine on Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Blue Philistine
Robinho's Step Over

Supporter of: Witton Albion
My favourite player is: Bernie Silva

Postby nottsblue » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:45 am

Interesting Poch doesnt want it in the PL next season. He knows
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Plain Speaking » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:21 pm

Normally when a decision goes to VAR it means the VAR officials think there is a good reason for the original decision to be overturned. They saw the handball but for some reason the camera view that clearly showed the ball hitting the arm wasn't shown to the ref.

Why this didn't happen I don't know. If he had seen the same view as the VAR officials he would have disallowed the goal. Was it BT that produced the views the ref saw? He should have been given the evidence why handball was being suggested.

We were stitched up over this and it decided the tie.
Plain Speaking
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby zuricity » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:25 pm

Oh and don't think the ref wasn't in on this ! With the handball goal he kept waiting until those guys were ready to show him on his screen.

Strange he didn't go to the screen for Razza's absolutely ok goal.

Just as in Rugby Union , there has to be full transparency, all in the stadium and on tv must hear what the VAR officials are discussing or it lays itself open to claims of corruption.
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby City64 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:31 pm

Bent as fuck , it was used to get us out and decisions were made over riding the ref to do so . Both major decisions that went against us to get us out of the competition were out of the refs hands and he wasn't shown the relevant video footage to make the CORRECT DECISION .
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby City64 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:38 pm

City64 wrote:Bent as fuck , it was used to get us out and decisions were made over riding the ref to do so . Both major decisions that went against us to get us out of the competition were out of the refs hands and he wasn't shown the relevant video footage to make the CORRECT DECISION .

Which begs the question ..............
Who provides UEFA with the video footage of VAR replays ? Is it BT Sport who UEFA have given BT Sport global TV rights for a handsome mega price ? If so has bent scouse cunt Peter Walton who "works for" BT VAR replays DECIDED which footage the global audience can see ? And which footage he and UEFA could use to manipulate a result with VAR ??? UEFA pay BT to showcase its product , not one BT pundit or employee is going to expose or highlight any possible sinister goings on because they get paid huge sums of money to be "onboard" . Two huge VAR decisions dumped us out of CL with NO REGARD for the fans , one already proven decisively incorrect (handball) the other last seconds of the game decision taken out of the refs hands ???

This surely needs investigating ? and UEFA need to be very clear and go public on who actually does provide the TV VAR footage and the actual VAR footage the ref sees ???

Any legal privy peeps please debate this extremely "grey area" !
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC

Postby budfox » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:49 pm

My suspicion on the handball is that it was shot on a camera that was not available to the broadcaster/VAR team, just one put in place by a photographer or a journalist. The technical quality isn't up to the broadcast footage, most likely because it was shot on a GoPro or similar, recording in super-slomo. Something like 200 frames per second I'd guess.

As to VAR, it's very easy to say it helps to deliver correct decisions, but it absolutely is killing the essence of the game and no fans should have to go through the ecstasy/agony we all suffered this week. I'd be more tolerant of it if the discussions were made freely available to all, just like in rugby, but as it stands it is a tool that can be used to influence the outcome of a game. Sour grapes? Well Spurs fans would say so, but there is absolutely no way that if Barca scored that goal it would have been reviewed.

Furthermore, if getting more decisions right is the justification for VAR, then it might be nice if the referees started following the laws to the letter as well. In every game you will see countless fouls in penalty area jostling not given, and the amount of dissent that goes unpunished is farcical. (Law 12, dissent by word or action is a yellow card offence). Then what about simulation? Salah should have picked up at least a dozen yellows this season for diving. Simulation is also a straight yellow.

So we have a VAR system that determined the outcome of a massive game, because someone was offside by a few inches for a split second, but countless other offences go by the wayside due to inconsistent refereeing and a reluctance to enforce the very clear laws of the game.
budfox
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Kev

Postby Plain Speaking » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:01 am

Personally I have no problem with the last goal being disallowed if he was offside. As I understand all goals are checked for this in VAR.

I do have a problem with the ref not being shown other angles for the handball. I don't blame the ref, he only gets to view the images selected, but some anonymous person behind the scenes decided not to show side footage, I would like someone to investigate why?
Plain Speaking
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Tokyo Blue » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:35 am

Plain Speaking wrote:Personally I have no problem with the last goal being disallowed if he was offside. As I understand all goals are checked for this in VAR.

I do have a problem with the ref not being shown other angles for the handball. I don't blame the ref, he only gets to view the images selected, but some anonymous person behind the scenes decided not to show side footage, I would like someone to investigate why?

If I am a ref and I'm struggling to reach a decision, I am going to say, "For fuck's sake, have you not got another angle I can look at?" It is common sense.

VAR will work if:

a) the ref is miked up, even if only when watching the telly
b) no slow motion, no freeze frames just full speed and various angles to maintain the human element
c) what the ref sees is shown on the big screen for all to see
d) it is the match ref who decides not some cunt in a portacabin. cunt in portacabin should say, have a look at this mate and NO MORE
e) it for clear and obvious errors only which can be seen at full speed
f) the ref sees all camera angles
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby PeterParker » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:04 am

I think the rugby version can be the key where you can hear what they are talking during decisions. Hear the discussion between them.

But that will never happen.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby Mase » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:06 am

PeterParker wrote:I think the rugby version can be the key where you can hear what they are talking during decisions. Hear the discussion between them.

It would end up like a Romanian league 3 game and fans would be running on to twat the ref :lol:
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby PeterParker » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:15 am

Mase wrote:
PeterParker wrote:I think the rugby version can be the key where you can hear what they are talking during decisions. Hear the discussion between them.

It would end up like a Romanian league 3 game and fans would be running on to twat the ref :lol:

Please, please, 4th league. :lol:
In the 3rd they are busy with Bet365 and other similar sites.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby london blue 2 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:30 pm

Would var have given us that clear pen?
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby zuricity » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:32 pm

london blue 2 wrote:Would var have given us that clear pen?

only if the ref was supplied the vid from behind where Vertongen clips Bernie the bolt
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Beefymcfc » Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:13 pm

BENT!
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:21 pm

PeterParker wrote:
Mase wrote:

Please, please, 4th league. :lol:
In the 3rd they are busy with Bet365 and other similar sites.

:D
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum