Next season's strategy

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Next season's strategy

Postby PeterParker » Mon May 13, 2019 12:15 pm

Ok, we have one final to go, but at this level we need to start early and smart.

The team:
What do we need?

- For me it seems that Danilo, Otamendi, Delph, Vinnie and Gundogan are out the door. With big question marks above Dave & Sane. From this bunch, I reckon Merlin and Sane will stay and Vinnie will be convince to go one more year here. But with that being said, we will have to invest. Also, with the FFP problems, we might see 6-7 new faces.
So what is needed: A right back, two center backs, a left back (want but I think it will not happen) and two midfielders.

The priorities:
I think in order to retain the title again and most of all, win the UCL we need to sacrifice the cups. The quadruple, at this level, It can't be done. The amount of extrafactors that can fuck you changes are really high and I hope our club knows that. But I think Pep will go again next year for everything. You can't reason with a lunatic.

The Premier League
I think the teams in this competition need to step up next season. And I mean really step up. Liverpool getting 97 points had also a big part from teams not doing their job right and allowing them to be muggers. With all the joke aside, next year might actually be their year, but I hope they will implode and fuck their morale in the summer.
For me this season really changed the hate towards our rivals. I can handle a rag win, it happen many times, we are used to it. But if these fuckers win, we will never hear the end of it.
Chelsea, United, Arse and Spurs are squads that have a semi gray future ahead of them, but we need them to step up next year in case we can't do it all over again.

Over to you, Pep.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Re: Next season's strategy

Postby Sideshow Bob » Mon May 13, 2019 12:24 pm

we badly need a striker. possibly 2. sergio is not what he once was, and jesus shows no signs of being ready to replace him.
Sideshow Bob
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Jonny Evans

Postby PeterParker » Mon May 13, 2019 12:26 pm

Sideshow Bob wrote:we badly need a striker. possibly 2. sergio is not what he once was, and jesus shows no signs of being ready to replace him.

Agree.
I think, slowly, we are looking at Sergio getting older. This is life.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Postby john@staustell » Mon May 13, 2019 12:37 pm

I agree about the striker too.

Clearly some sort of Ferdy replacement.

And some sort of left back who can play full back and is fit to play would be useful. Or two. And I guess if Danilo is off to Italy then another right back.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Hazy2 » Mon May 13, 2019 12:57 pm

Keep Gundo ! It will cost 80 mill for his replacement, why allow him to become this important to us and let him flourish elsewhere. Top player goals and assists in big games.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Mase » Mon May 13, 2019 1:02 pm

Hazy2 wrote:Keep Gundo ! It will cost 80 mill for his replacement, why allow him to become this important to us and let him flourish elsewhere. Top player goals and assists in big games.

He won't sign mate. We've offered, it's him dragging his heals.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby PeterParker » Mon May 13, 2019 1:05 pm

Mase wrote:
Hazy2 wrote:Keep Gundo ! It will cost 80 mill for his replacement, why allow him to become this important to us and let him flourish elsewhere. Top player goals and assists in big games.

If he wants to go, he should go now.
He owes the club a transfer fee after we took care of him when he was injured.

Also, motivation comes big with this. These fellas won everything locally. They need a new challenge and we need fresh faces that are hungry.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Postby Nick » Mon May 13, 2019 1:07 pm

Not that keen on gundo. Hes not signing- why ? Game time ? Hes played most games!
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby Mase » Mon May 13, 2019 1:07 pm

Nick wrote:Not that keen on gundo. Hes not signing- why ? Game time ? Hes played most games!

It's his "last big contract"
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Hazy2 » Mon May 13, 2019 1:35 pm

Mase wrote:

Maybe Mase, He looked happy last night. Such a class player.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Mon May 13, 2019 2:05 pm

First of all I don't think there is anyway we will " give up" the cups.

Second I am not giving up on any of the players listed as going as maybe going. If (massive if) Mendy and De Bruyne are fit it will be like 2 new signings after they missed most of this season but there is no doubt some incomings are needed for the older guys who have been our backbone for a few years.

Yaya already gone and easily managed, Dinho can carry on but probably can't handle a full season. I would certainly like Gundo to stay as he has filled in superbly for him despite being a different type of player. Will Pep look at alternatives out on loan like Matt Smith or Douglas Luiz?

David Silva has another year in him even if not as an automatic starter. Foden coming along nicley in that central role but I wouldn't at all be surprised if Pep brings another high quality midfield player. Sane I hope will stay and grow under Pep as he is top quality but if there is an unsurmountable problem there we need a serious replacement.

Then there is Aguero! Can't last forever scoring 20 a season but he should be ok for next year.The problem is whether Jesus is the answer as his understudy, which I think he is and will start to flourish, or we find a replacement who is good enough but prepared not to be a regular first choice. Not easy.

Similar with the center backs. I really don't want Vinnie to go as I know he can still doa job with us next season and forever but it seems like he might be on his way to play somewhere else.So if the Otter goes as well we need a new center back for sure with Garcia and Bellis Harwood not yet ready for the prem on a regular basis just yet. Phillippe Sandler maybe but I just havent seen enough of him to know.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby PeterParker » Mon May 13, 2019 2:20 pm

I said it many times, but I would really be gutted if Danilo leaves. For me he is a fantastic player to have around, excellent squad player and a lad who looks like a genuine nice fella

But I understand him if he would want to go.

What I love about this squad and is the main reason why we have this succes is about character and the fact each player is picked based on his attitude both in and out the pitch.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Mon May 13, 2019 2:47 pm

OUTS 6 INS 5

DS
VINNY
GUNDO
DANILO
OTTO
JG (big maybe)

INS

FORWARD (just 1 to accompany Aguero for next season but a priority signing IMO)
RIGHT BACK
DEFENDER
LEFT BACK (Mendy cannot be relied upon)
MIDFIELDER

Foden to replace DS (People aught to stop harping on about his 2 latest mediocre performances out of the 15 performances..some of them fantastic...hes good enough now)

It will be a busy summer but unfortunately we will only get around 50 million for the outgoings unless JG goes and that will boost it somewhat.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Nick » Mon May 13, 2019 2:55 pm

Mase wrote:
Nick wrote:Not that keen on gundo. Hes not signing- why ? Game time ? Hes played most games!

Who is gonna pay him more ? Ffs greed
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Mon May 13, 2019 3:00 pm

Nick wrote:
Mase wrote:

Who is gonna pay him more ? Ffs greed

Why are you assuming it's greed? It could be playing time, it could be a desire to finish his career at home, it could be a desire to play in another top European league.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby sheblue » Mon May 13, 2019 3:10 pm

Why the need for such massive wholesale squad changes? We have just racked up 98 points. Were hardly in crisis! Think this talk of considerable changes are way over stated. Yes we will bring in a few but 7-8? Cant see the necessity for that amount of upheaval.

I do think we need to take a view on the cups next season.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby PeterParker » Mon May 13, 2019 3:40 pm

sheblue wrote:Why the need for such massive wholesale squad changes? We have just racked up 98 points. Were hardly in crisis! Think this talk of considerable changes are way over stated. Yes we will bring in a few but 7-8? Cant see the necessity for that amount of upheaval.

I do think we need to take a view on the cups next season.

Well, those 5 from my initial post were linked with departure.
The thing is, next year motivation will come first because it will be very very hard to make them play again for the League and league Cup. I think we are close to end a cicle.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Postby Michigan Blue » Mon May 13, 2019 4:18 pm

The danger of binning off the domestic cups is that you prioritize a competition where freak results and corruption are commonplace. It will only get worse when Real Madrid, etc. bounce back.

I was thinking about this yesterday. In a way we are the perfect club for Pep, because we know the score, and won’t get frustrated by Pep’s European “failures.” If we win on Saturday most Blues would consider it basically a perfect season.

Only worry is that Pep probably doesn’t feel the same. Eventually a lack of progress in the UCL will frustrate him, he will start overthinking the domestic comps, and then finally he might decide he can achieve nothing more here.
"Certainly our programme is a full one, but as a player and as a manager I've always felt that there is only one way to go into a season...and that's to try to win every game.... While we are in four major competitions we shall try to win four major competitions." - Joe Mercer
Michigan Blue
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: Manchester City

Postby nottsblue » Mon May 13, 2019 6:43 pm

Strategy for next season?

Seems to me that the last two years have gone rather well, and if it ain’t broke.....

Yes, we will lose a few players and a couple more are getting on a bit and probably haven’t got full seasons in them. But we will recruit new players just as in previous years to freshen up the squad. Foden will play more next year. Next season Garcia and/or Sandler may have their breakthrough seasons. Things are looking good.

The advent of VAR should ensure the dippers aren’t as lucky as this season, though I wouldn’t put my life on it! Also be surprised to see them retain all their best players as well. Chelsea can’t sign anyone and are likely to lose Hazard. Spuds aren’t renowned for spending and could well lose Eriksen and Alderweireld, two of their best players. Arsenal are still a work in progress who still have a soft underbelly in away games. The rags are miles behind and aren’t even in our rearview mirror.

So, we are in a position of massive strength with the others playing catch up. Our enemy is complacency and judging by the season we’ve just had, especially the second half, it’s not a word that comes into our vocabulary. So, next seasons strategy? More of the same please
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby budfox » Mon May 13, 2019 7:40 pm

Next season, win the prem again to equal what the rags did twice.

Balls to everything else but build for the 2021/22 and 22/23 seasons and an all out assault on the CL.

I think as long as Pep stays there isn't anything we can't do.

It won't always be like this, empires rise and fall. What we have is incredible support, and the knowledge that in our lifetime we saw Manchester City take the crown of the best side the Premiership has ever seen.
budfox
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Kev

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum