Merlin One More Season

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Merlin One More Season

Postby Sideshow Bob » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:43 pm

sad to see him go, but let's be real...he was not the best player ever to wear the shirt. not even sure he's the the best in the modern era (i'd put a fit KDB ahead of peak silva in terms of overall impact/influence).
Sideshow Bob
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Jonny Evans

Postby Scatman » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:47 pm

Sideshow Bob wrote:sad to see him go, but let's be real...he was not the best player ever to wear the shirt. not even sure he's the the best in the modern era (i'd put a fit KDB ahead of peak silva in terms of overall impact/influence).

Silva and Yaya, in that team, you could always tell when they weren't there. This team, without KDB, just got 98 points in the league.
Scatman
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Sideshow Bob » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:16 pm

Scatman wrote:
Sideshow Bob wrote:sad to see him go, but let's be real...he was not the best player ever to wear the shirt. not even sure he's the the best in the modern era (i'd put a fit KDB ahead of peak silva in terms of overall impact/influence).

Silva and Yaya, in that team, you could always tell when they weren't there. This team, without KDB, just got 98 points in the league.

agreed but we have much more talent now, so we can adapt and make do when a player is out. not the case back then. i dont think that weakens the argument that KDB offers more.
Sideshow Bob
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Jonny Evans

Postby nottsblue » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:26 pm

A truly magnificent player. We have been blessed and fortunate to have seen one of the best midfielders of this generation to have spent the best years of his career at our house. A joy to watch and one of those rare breeds of player who transcends admiration. Fans of all clubs can see and judge him for what he is and does for City. He seems to be universally liked and respected. Rarely, if ever, is there any hint of bad press towards him. Indeed, he has nothing but my upmost admiration and respect for how he handled the situation of Mateo's premature birth.

Though his star has waned a little on the pitch this last season, he will still be a huge loss. He is the archetypal big game player. He invariably always delivers when it matters. I hope Foden is a quick learner and some of his magic rubs off on him in training. However, I can see Bernardo stepping into his shoes more and he is going to be a superb player for us in the years to come as well.

The old guard is now being replaced. Yaya and Kompany have gone. Silva has one more year and then probably Aguero the year after. That's a lot of experience and blue blood that we will lose. But that's football. We have a new breed in Sterling KDB, Bernardo, Foden, Jesus, Ederson, Laporte etc who will be our backbone for the next 5/6 years.

Above all, thank you el Mago for all you have done. You will always be welcome at the Etihad
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Sparklehorse » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:42 am

nottsblue wrote:A truly magnificent player. We have been blessed and fortunate to have seen one of the best midfielders of this generation to have spent the best years of his career at our house. A joy to watch and one of those rare breeds of player who transcends admiration. Fans of all clubs can see and judge him for what he is and does for City. He seems to be universally liked and respected. Rarely, if ever, is there any hint of bad press towards him. Indeed, he has nothing but my upmost admiration and respect for how he handled the situation of Mateo's premature birth.

Though his star has waned a little on the pitch this last season, he will still be a huge loss. He is the archetypal big game player. He invariably always delivers when it matters. I hope Foden is a quick learner and some of his magic rubs off on him in training. However, I can see Bernardo stepping into his shoes more and he is going to be a superb player for us in the years to come as well.

The old guard is now being replaced. Yaya and Kompany have gone. Silva has one more year and then probably Aguero the year after. That's a lot of experience and blue blood that we will lose. But that's football. We have a new breed in Sterling KDB, Bernardo, Foden, Jesus, Ederson, Laporte etc who will be our backbone for the next 5/6 years.

Above all, thank you el Mago for all you have done. You will always be welcome at the Etihad

This
"Its better to be thought of as being a fool and remain silent than to speak up and remove all doubt" - Abraham Lincoln
Sparklehorse
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: All of them

Postby littlebig » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:26 am

Fuck! Man this is sad news. What a massive player and personality we’re losing.

It’s a new chapter now with the old guard stepping aside. I’m excited and apprehensive about it. It’s good we have Pep to build the new squad.

Best player I’ve seen playing for City imo

Good luck to him.

Will be bittersweet to see him play over the coming campaign.
littlebig
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Vinnie Kompany

Postby Hazy2 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:22 pm

Class from start to finish.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby PeterParker » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:05 pm

No way, he is better. Dave is at the same level as Iniesta and Xavi. One of the very best playmakers Spain ever had.
Kdb is not yet at Merlin’s very best.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby ruralblue » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:21 pm

Don't have that gutted feeling as we knew it was coming. Plus I think he will give his all to us next season. If he'd have stayed season after next folks would have been on his back when played as the magician is mid handing his wand to Foden. He isn't the player he was and understandable but will always be a favourite who has been very loyal to the club and been total class.
I haven't a fecking clue what I'm doing! Gillie come back man I want my sig back. As the Photobucket thingy gone?
ruralblue
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: MANCHESTER CITY
My favourite player is: KOMPANY / SILVA

Postby Dameerto » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:26 pm

ruralblue wrote:Don't have that gutted feeling as we knew it was coming. Plus I think he will give his all to us next season. If he'd have stayed season after next folks would have been on his back when played as the magician is mid handing his wand to Foden. He isn't the player he was and understandable but will always be a favourite who has been very loyal to the club and been total class.

He always gives his all - just look at how he handled the difficult birth of his son. When he hangs up his boots I'll be proud to say I've watched his City career from start to finish.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby johnny crossan » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:52 am

johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:50 am

By my reckoning, we need to win one trophy this season for Dave to record the highest ever haul for a player with City. Currently I have him level with Vinnie and one ahead of Serge who was not in the 2011 FA Cup winning team. He has a couple of minor medals with Spain too ;)
Hutch's Shoulder

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:52 am

I hope he keeps his levels high and we give him a decent send off season. The man is a fucking legend.
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Wooders » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:46 pm

A good send off for s legend, this a sad but sensible move, he is struggling to keep up with the pace the team plays so one more season is about right I feel for him to go out with a bit of dignity
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Postby PeterParker » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:51 am

Isn't this the last season for Sergio also?
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Postby Mase » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:15 am

PeterParker wrote:Isn't this the last season for Sergio also?

Nah he's here until 2021 - he signed an extra year last season.

But he's also said he's going to stay until we win the Champions League so maybe he'll sign for the next ten years?
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby PeterParker » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:52 am

Mase wrote:

But he's also said he's going to stay until we win the Champions League so maybe he'll sign for the next ten years?

Thank fuck. Losing Dave and Aguero in one window would be too much.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:08 pm

Mase wrote:

If he’s waiting for the CL, he could have a longer career than Tony Book.
Hutch's Shoulder

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby sheblue » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:04 pm

Hutch's Shoulder wrote:
Mase wrote:

For a change if we actually take the QFs seriously he wouldn't have that long to wait.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby zuricity » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:09 pm

Hutch's Shoulder wrote:
Mase wrote:

good job you didn't say "City Career" ;)
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum