Welcome Rodrigo Hernandez

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Welcome Rodrigo Hernandez

Postby Mase » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:43 pm

Outcast wrote:
Mase wrote:
Outcast wrote:If anyone has doubts about him, just take a moment and contemplate this, we've beaten Barcelona and Munchens among other top European clubs to his signature. Apparently Barcelona were desperate to get him. He's only 22/23, Tixi has done his homework, we dont seem to sign any players based on flashes of brilliance or talent along, we buy ones that want to play for us or at least Pep, ones with the right attitude and mentality. Look at the rags, they have no fundamental to their buying process where us have plan A, B and C, we are not afraid to walk away from a deal if it doesn't pan out, we seem to stick to our buying fundamentals. Saying that, I'm hoping he comes good

Remember we also beat Barca to the signing of Nolly mate

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11679/10511889/nolito-i-snubbed-barcelona-to-play-for-pep-guardiola-again

No one is perfect mate, you bound to drop a clanger now and again, just thinking top of my head, ermm Kolorav? :lol:

Pep said Kola was one of the best defenders he's worked with. He knows what he's talking about our Pep :D
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Outcast » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:35 pm

Mase wrote:
Outcast wrote:
Mase wrote:
Outcast wrote:If anyone has doubts about him, just take a moment and contemplate this, we've beaten Barcelona and Munchens among other top European clubs to his signature. Apparently Barcelona were desperate to get him. He's only 22/23, Tixi has done his homework, we dont seem to sign any players based on flashes of brilliance or talent along, we buy ones that want to play for us or at least Pep, ones with the right attitude and mentality. Look at the rags, they have no fundamental to their buying process where us have plan A, B and C, we are not afraid to walk away from a deal if it doesn't pan out, we seem to stick to our buying fundamentals. Saying that, I'm hoping he comes good

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11679/10511889/nolito-i-snubbed-barcelona-to-play-for-pep-guardiola-again

No one is perfect mate, you bound to drop a clanger now and again, just thinking top of my head, ermm Kolorav? :lol:

Pep said Kola was one of the best defenders he's worked with. He knows what he's talking about our Pep :D

If I recall correctly, wasnt you among others called him lying baldie or was that Carl alone :lol: ??
Outcast
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:46 pm

Outcast wrote:
Mase wrote:
Outcast wrote:
Mase wrote:

If I recall correctly, wasnt you among others called him lying baldie or was that Carl alone :lol: ??

I def called him a lying baldie.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Mase » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:36 am

Outcast wrote:
Mase wrote:
Outcast wrote:
Mase wrote:

Carl... definitely all Carl.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby sheblue » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:19 pm

Haven't seen him play. From his recent interviews it's clear he is articulate, intelligent and has a great attitude.
Looks like a lad who Pep can get a lot from. Cant wait to see him play.
By and large our signings have been top notch in the last few years, can see this lad continuing this trend.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby budfox » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:47 pm

I like him already. For me he has one of the critical attributes any City player should have, and that's modesty.

We have no room for wankers like Pogba, toxic in any dressing room.

Come on then son, be another legend.
budfox
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Kev

Postby johnny crossan » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:54 pm

Watch on youtube.com
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

My favourite player is: Merlin

Re: Rodrigo Hernandez

Postby harveytravis » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:02 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:
harveytravis wrote:
harveytravis wrote:The best ting I've heard about this guy is he is incredibly modest and intelligent with a degree in business studies. (Think Pogba and then the opposite)

Pep likes people to be part of a team. That is his model for success.

You can see it at the Etihad every game by the way the players celebrate each others goals

None of that nauseating turning round and pointing their numbers on the back.

Having just watched the live interview with this guy I am very impressed.

His poise and language skills are amazing.

We have a future captain here I think.

Its rare to see an intelligent footballers these days.....most are thick as shit.

Sadly this appears to be so. I read that he even refuses to have tattoos?
harveytravis
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:04 pm

I’ve just got round to watching his interview and very impressive it was. If he shows the same composure and control on the pitch we will have a winner.
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:09 pm

harveytravis wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:
harveytravis wrote:
harveytravis wrote:The best ting I've heard about this guy is he is incredibly modest and intelligent with a degree in business studies. (Think Pogba and then the opposite)

Pep likes people to be part of a team. That is his model for success.

You can see it at the Etihad every game by the way the players celebrate each others goals

None of that nauseating turning round and pointing their numbers on the back.

Having just watched the live interview with this guy I am very impressed.

His poise and language skills are amazing.

We have a future captain here I think.

Its rare to see an intelligent footballers these days.....most are thick as shit.

Sadly this appears to be so. I read that he even refuses to have tattoos?

I think hes of the same ilk as Graeme Le Saux.......we have done well IMO...no trouble makers at all...one team.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby johnny crossan » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:49 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:I think hes of the same ilk as Graeme Le Saux.......we have done well IMO...no trouble makers at all...one team.

Watch on youtube.com
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:06 pm

johnny crossan wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:I think hes of the same ilk as Graeme Le Saux.......we have done well IMO...no trouble makers at all...one team.

Watch on youtube.com

The amount of unjustified shit he took as a player on and off the pitch was fuckign vile....I'm surprised he carried on playing football to be honest.
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Mase » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:38 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:

Watch on youtube.com

The amount of unjustified shit he took as a player on and off the pitch was fuckign vile....I'm surprised he carried on playing football to be honest.

Probably similar to the shit we gave O'Shea for going out with Will Young.
Last edited by Mase on Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Saul Goodman » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:23 pm

Manchester City broke their transfer record to sign Rodri from Atletico Madrid, so how good is he? With help from the 23-year-old’s former mentor, Nick Wright finds out how he blossomed into one of the world’s best young midfielders – and why he’s a perfect fit for Pep Guardiola.

A little over a year ago, Rodri, Manchester City's new £62.5m signing, was still living in university halls in Castellón. At the same time as playing for Villarreal in La Liga and the Europa League, the midfielder was studying for a degree in Business Studies and Economics, living the life of an ordinary student and driving to and from training in a second-hand Opel Corsa.

Rodri, full name Rodrigo Hernandez Cascante, had just finished an outstanding campaign with Villarreal, helping them to a fifth-placed finish in La Liga, breaking into the Spain squad and putting him on the brink of the 20 million euro transfer to Atletico Madrid which would ultimately lead him to Pep Guardiola's Premier League champions.

Rodri's studies are behind him now - the Opel Corsa, too - but as he arrives at Manchester City to become Fernandinho's successor, those who know him best say he remains as grounded as ever. Guardiola has signed him for his technical prowess, his defensive awareness at the base of midfield, but Rodri also stands out for his determination not to stand out.

"He was always different to the others because although he was still very young, he was already very professional and a very good student " Paco Lopez, the coach who brought him into Villarreal's B team as a teenager, tells Sky Sports. "The other boys his age were always looking at their mobile phones, but Rodri didn't even have one."

What he did have, however, was the talent to reach the very highest level and the steely focus to make sure it happened.

"He was a boy who showed a lot of ability with his feet, with the passes he made and with how he read the game," says Lopez. "He stood out for his intelligence as a footballer, but also because he was also very clear about how a young player should behave. A lot of boys can get distracted, but he always understood what was required to become a professional."

Villarreal turned out to be the ideal place for Rodri to realise that ambition, but only after he was released by Atletico, the club he would later return to, for being too small and skinny. Villarreal snapped him up in 2014 and watched him shoot up to 6ft 3ins. He made his debut for Lopez's B team in February 2015. Within a year, he was featuring for the first team.

"At Villarreal at that time, we placed the understanding of the game above the physical work," says Lopez. "We tried to improve all aspects of our young players, of course, but with Rodri, our focus was to work with the innate talent he had. Then, logically, his body started changing with age."

Lopez remembers Rodri adapting "quickly and easily" to men's football when he was brought into Villarreal's B team in Spain's regionalised third tier. The youngster was helped by his ability and appetite to improve. It was that intelligence on the pitch, though, that really set him apart.

"In his first game with us I actually put him on behind the striker," says Lopez, who now manages La Liga side Levante. "In the end it was clear that central midfield was the best position for him, but when you have that much talent, when you are able to interpret the game so well, you can adapt to any position."

Rodri adapted to the first team just as easily, and by the start of the 2017/18 season, he was not just a guaranteed starter but also a leader. His exceptional distribution and smart positioning as a classic midfield pivote prompted comparisons with Sergio Busquets. In La Liga, he only missed one game all season, playing more minutes than any other Villarreal player.

The Busquets comparisons led to links with Barcelona, but it was Atletico, of course, who won the race for his signature. Rodri cried at the press conference announcing his exit from Villarreal and the club felt it, too. Without him last season, they plummeted from fifth to 14th, only narrowly avoiding relegation.

"Rodri's departure destroyed us," one Villarreal director told El País.

At Atletico, Rodri became similarly influential, stepping into the midfield void vacated by club legend Gabi and reinforcing his status as one of Spain's most exciting prospects. "He can reach Busquets' level and maybe surpass it," said Luis Enrique in October. "Who knows what limits he has?"

Atletico's conservative style under Diego Simeone was not a natural fit for Rodri - he has described City's devotion to playing "attacking football at all times" as one of his motivations for joining them - but it did help him to develop different areas of his game. Namely, his defensive skills.

"One of the traits of an intelligent player is that they know their strengths, but they are also aware of the aspects they need to improve," says Lopez. "Rodri was always very clear about that and it's the same now. Last season, he became a better player without the ball. He won more of his duels."

The statistics certainly support that notion. Rodri was the only midfielder in La Liga to make more than 100 tackles in La Liga last season, while he also ranked top among outfield players for ball recoveries. Like Busquets, he has gained a reputation for winning the ball back effortlessly, his positioning often negating the need for crunching challenges.

Simeone was demanding of Rodri, at times substituting him earlier than he would have liked, but he still started 32 La Liga games - more than Koke and the same number as Saul Niguez - and his distribution did not suffer.

Indeed, while he did not spend as much time on the ball as he was accustomed to, making 63 passes per 90 minutes compared to 69 per 90 minutes at Villarreal, his accuracy rate rose from 90 to 91 per cent despite making more long-range passes than any of his team-mates. He is a forward-thinking player and his passing radar proves it.

Rodri's year under Simeone exposed him to a different playing style, broadening his footballing education and preparing him for the physical challenges of the Premier League. For Guardiola, though, that is only a small fraction of his appeal.

The 48-year-old loves intelligent players who serve the collective and follow tactical instructions easily. "On his own a player is nothing," he said in conversation with Sky Sports in March. "A player is good when he inter-connects well with the idea of the team and with his team-mates."

Rodri, the university student-cum-footballer with an insatiable appetite for improvement, fits that profile perfectly. He has big shoes to fill as Fernandinho enters the final year of his contract, but this is a player who has already stepped in for Gabi at Atletico and done the same with Busquets at international level. Why should City hold any fear for him?

To everyone back at Villarreal, the club he credits for shaping him as a player, the club where they still feel his absence today, the speed of Rodri's rise comes as little surprise. They watched him flourish from cast-off to key player and the expectation is that there is much more to come.

"There is always a risk that you can be wrong when making judgements on young players, but with Rodri it was very clear that he was going to be an elite player," says Lopez. "Manchester City is another big challenge for him, playing for one of the best clubs in the world with brilliant team-mates, but I'm sure he will adapt to Guardiola's style and the ideas he has about football. I think he fits perfectly with that."

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11679/11757455/rodri-to-manchester-city-sergio-busquets-style-midfielder-can-shine
Saul Goodman
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bernardo Silva

Postby Bluedj » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:58 am

Very impressed with his second outing against Wolves.

What has stood out is how good he is in the air he is

Maybe with the park the bus brigades he can get Up front to add a heading goal threat. Fern can take his place in the middle. Just a thought and save us £M’s on another striker
Bluedj
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: vincent kompany

Postby nottsblue » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:40 am

Bluedj wrote:Very impressed with his second outing against Wolves.

What has stood out is how good he is in the air he is

Maybe with the park the bus brigades he can get Up front to add a heading goal threat. Fern can take his place in the middle. Just a thought and save us £M’s on another striker

Hoping he might get us a few goals from corners
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Dubciteh » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:54 pm

Am i the only one not to be overly impressed by him?? I know its early but hes looked a bit defensively suspect, his positional sense mostly. A bit slow to react, i do think hes a different sort of “6” than fern and i will have to adjust, seems more michael carrick than fern. Think we have been spoiled by fern, what an absolute beast that guy has been for us.

I have faith he will be excellent signing but might need time to adjust. Looks like a better version of javi garcia so far and we need someone a bit tougher in there from the start.
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID

Postby PeterParker » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:13 pm

Dubciteh wrote:Am i the only one not to be overly impressed by him?? I know its early but hes looked a bit defensively suspect, his positional sense mostly. A bit slow to react, i do think hes a different sort of “6” than fern and i will have to adjust, seems more michael carrick than fern. Think we have been spoiled by fern, what an absolute beast that guy has been for us.

I have faith he will be excellent signing but might need time to adjust. Looks like a better version of javi garcia so far and we need someone a bit tougher in there from the start.

Big shoes to fill after Fern and Yaya.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby Saul Goodman » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:11 am

Hes not a true #6 naturally. And hes just adapting to Pep's system. Fernandinho has spoiled us for certain
Saul Goodman
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bernardo Silva

Postby sheblue » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:43 am

OK gentlemen lets not press the panic button just yet.... :roll:
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: city