New captain

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: New captain

Postby Mase » Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:47 pm

Yeah I agree. I think Dave deserves it and always leads by example
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby PrezIke » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:11 pm

Bluemoon4610 wrote:
nottsblue wrote:
Mase wrote:Not sure how good his English is but Big Ed seems like he'd be in with a shout. Probably not yet, one for the future.

Never a fan of a goalkeeper being captain. Especially at ours where they aren’t part of a lot of action. Same for a striker, they aren’t in the right area of the pitch to speak to the defence. Needs to be a centre half or midfielder for me.

Absolutely! I've always believed CB or defensive mid for captain as they get a better view of what's going on all over the pitch. Laporte is my shout.

I think the thing is the traditional concept of "the captain" has changed in the modern game so not sure this matters as much as it used to.

The leader and organiser of the defence does not necessarily need to be the captain, although I understand the reasons for this.

I think it basically goes to the most respected senior player, regardless of position.

I suspect Silva will get it, but Dinho strikes me as having a very good chance. I think when both are gone it will go to Kev.

Interestingly enough, I believe Laporte captained the France u21s (mad to consider he yet to be cappped).
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby sheblue » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:55 pm

David Silva is captain. Great choice lads.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Dunne's Half-Time Pint » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:07 pm

Silva is a good choice because he will lead by example - courage on the ball, closing down, runs into the box, all that stuff. From Pep's point of view, he probably wants someone who gets the system, has the ability to do what he's told, but doesn't have the ego to challenge instructions.

KDB is obviously a great competitor but I suspect he's a bit of an oddball. Probably also talks back.

Ederson seems to be a shy young man. His biggest asset is his temperament - you wouldn't want to risk undermining that by giving him a load of additional responsibility.

Presumably Fernandinho is vice captain this year, club captain next year (with Laporte to be vice captain).
All we are saying is give Doug a pass.
Dunne's Half-Time Pint
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby Mase » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:12 pm

Dunne's Half-Time Pint wrote:Silva is a good choice because he will lead by example - courage on the ball, closing down, runs into the box, all that stuff. From Pep's point of view, he probably wants someone who gets the system, has the ability to do what he's told, but doesn't have the ego to challenge instructions.

KDB is obviously a great competitor but I suspect he's a bit of an oddball. Probably also talks back.

Ederson seems to be a shy young man. His biggest asset is his temperament - you wouldn't want to risk undermining that by giving him a load of additional responsibility.

Presumably Fernandinho is vice captain this year, club captain next year (with Laporte to be vice captain).

Agree 100%
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Hazy2 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:53 pm

who is vice cpt. David, will get a rest this season.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby sheblue » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:16 pm

Hazy2 wrote:who is vice cpt. David, will get a rest this season.

Fern and kev next in line.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby dazby » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:00 pm

I reckon KDB will show that he's the man this season. He'll have the tough conversations and win the respect of all.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Mase » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:04 pm

dazby wrote:I reckon KDB will show that he's the man this season. He'll have the tough conversations and win the respect of all.

Based on what mate?
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:11 am

Kev, Aguero and Fern all vice captains right?
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby bigblue » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:29 am

Long live big sick silva
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Manchester's Only
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby dazby » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:22 pm

Mase wrote:
dazby wrote:I reckon KDB will show that he's the man this season. He'll have the tough conversations and win the respect of all.

Based on what mate?

His personality. You know he is 100% committed. He will lack tact and nuance which will get him into a bit of trouble, but you know he's honest and is driven to be the best.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Tokyo Blue » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:29 am

dazby wrote:
Mase wrote:

Based on what mate?

His personality. You know he is 100% committed. He will lack tact and nuance which will get him into a bit of trouble, but you know he's honest and is driven to be the best.

Agreed, which is clearly why he is definitely NOT captain material.

One small example, but there are numerous others. In the friendly at Yokohama, he was taken out off the ball. Yes, it was a foul but it was not seen by the officials. He decided to clatter the offending Yokohama player on the ball less than minute later, which most definitely was seen by the officials and for which he got a yellow card. If he was a kid, it would be understandable, still not acceptable, of course, but understandable. He can't lead by that example, I'm afraid. He would be the last player in the current squad I would want captaining City.

Long-term, Sterling is the obvious candidate or perhaps Bernardo.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Mase » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:38 am

dazby wrote:
Mase wrote:

Based on what mate?

He's definitely 100% committed. I can't see him being able to have any touch conversations though personally.

I also think he's got the respect of everyone anyway.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum