FIFA decision on City

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: FIFA decision on City

Postby Wooders » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:16 pm

I think they would be very concerned using the old “retrospectively applying new rules” after the ffp fiasco
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Postby patrickblue » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:33 am

PrezIke wrote:
ross.mcfc wrote:
trueblue64 wrote:This is only for the youth transfers.

That's the only case we had to answer. They have nothing on us.

I hope you are right, but I wouldn't count on it.

UEFA under a lot of pressure to do something about the Football Leaks "revelations" especially after the NY Times/Tariq Panja's recent report on how PSG basically got away with no punishment for the summer of Neymar and Mbappe, because of what appears to be some form of corruption (disagreement between one body who felt they clearly violated FFP, vs. the former Belgian PM, Yves Leterme, who disagreed and ironically enough is the lead investigator/decision maker in our case now, and who many are led to believe dislikes us).

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/13/spor ... -uefa.html - The article on UEFA wanting to ban us

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/24/spor ... a-ffp.html - The more recent article on how UEFA's investigation and decision on PSG looks shady. (I recommend reading to get a sense of how this could impact us. We are also mentioned a few times, and I know it bothers us, but I do think it is relevant for the writer to bring us up as we are in a similar line of fire...I know some will disagree)

An investigation of P.S.G. was begun. A report was produced. When it arrived last June on the desk of José Narciso da Cunha Rodrigues, a former judge at Europe’s top court and the chairman of the UEFA panel that penalizes teams that break the organization’s financial rules, he discovered that the lead investigator had cleared P.S.G.

So after a member of his panel went through the report, Cunha Rodrigues sent the file back, demanding that the investigator, the former Belgian prime minister Yves Leterme, reassess the case. In doing so, he also raised questions about several of Leterme’s conclusions.

“The decision to close the case,” Cunha Rodrigues wrote, “was manifestly erroneous.”

The details of UEFA’s nearly yearlong investigation of P.S.G., and the fight over its conclusions, are included in documents obtained by The New York Times that in page after page eviscerate the decision by UEFA investigators to exonerate the Qatari-financed club, one of the biggest spenders in sports. But the documents also reveal how UEFA appeared to sink its own investigation, and how P.S.G. used a technicality to avoid the possibility of serious punishment and preserve its cherished place in soccer’s richest competition, the Champions League.

Fascinating stuff.
It's pretty clear that Leterme has an agenda, and a load of cronies in high places, but what it'll come down to is how José Narciso da Cunha Rodrigues looks at the situation and evidence.
Based on those two articles, it's clear that Rodrigues is saying that Leterme is either incompetent or corrupt, I suspect he means the latter, but for obvious reasons isn't going to put it in black and white.
That being the case, he's obviously going to look at any argument and evidence that Letterme provides with suspicion.
But will he be inclined to try and even things out, or will he go for a the conviction he couldn't get against PSG?
Or ultimately, will he do as he's told?
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Postby PeterParker » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:44 am

I see the whole thing in a bit of a different point of view.

City from a few years back would had got a transfer ban and even be banned from Europe, but I think we reached a level, both out and in the pitch that made us a force.

UEFA & FIFA can't do their atticks because they know we are able to take them to court and rip their fucking skin off, that is why there were rumours of Infantino approaching City to make us accept the small fine.

I think at the moment, we are not just a fantastic football team, but also a brand that took their own game and won.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby patrickblue » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:10 am

PeterParker wrote:I see the whole thing in a bit of a different point of view.

City from a few years back would had got a transfer ban and even be banned from Europe, but I think we reached a level, both out and in the pitch that made us a force.

UEFA & FIFA can't do their atticks because they know we are able to take them to court and rip their fucking skin off, that is why there were rumours of Infantino approaching City to make us accept the small fine.

I think at the moment, we are not just a fantastic football team, but also a brand that took their own game and won.

That's true enough PP, but if Rodrigues was wanting to go for PSG, who let's face it, have just as much legal clout as CFG, why would he not take on City, if he thinks the evidence warrants it?
With PSG he was stopped by Leterme's 'creative' report and verdict, and UEFA closing ranks around Leterme but Leterme has demonstrated he has no love for City so the report is liable to be damning.
I do tend to agree with you that at the end of the day that the threat of legal action will cause UEFA to back off, especially with the precedent set by the PSG thing,
Let's face it, UEFA think we're being underhand, PSG just stuck two fingers up at them.
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum