VAR

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: VAR

Postby blues2win » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:53 pm

The problem with the goal was the daft new handball rule. If a goal is scored direct off a hand its fair to ignore whether its accidental or not. Here the ball brushed Laporte who was impeded. Didnt even affect the balls trajectory. VAR simply ruled on the basks of the new law. How the wrestling over of Rodri wasnt a penalty god alone knows. We were very unlucky not to get the win. It was a very good team performance against one of the best teams in the League. We restricted then to you guessed it two chances. Ugh!
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby MARKMAKAVELI » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:01 pm

I actually don't care about the results etc. More just that no matter what the momenta are ruined now, no matter what.
MARKMAKAVELI
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby bigblue » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:05 pm

"They said they're setting a very high bar for clear and obvious"

https://www.clippituser.tv/c/lwpepp
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Manchester's Only
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Beefymcfc » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:07 pm

blues2win wrote:The problem with the goal was the daft new handball rule. If a goal is scored direct off a hand its fair to ignore whether its accidental or not. Here the ball brushed Laporte who was impeded. Didnt even affect the balls trajectory. VAR simply ruled on the basks of the new law. How the wrestling over of Rodri wasnt a penalty god alone knows. We were very unlucky not to get the win. It was a very good team performance against one of the best teams in the League. We restricted then to you guessed it two chances. Ugh!

The rules need to be rewritten to take into account the use of VAR. The problem is that what is being revisited is subjective and ebpven those that are obvious are then being peddled as correct, which they are not.

It looks like the PL have spent the extra couple of years to work out how to manipulate the system rather than implementing it. Neville has already said he wasn't happy with the way it was to be implemented, and I totally agree with it.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Beefymcfc » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:14 pm

The Premier League and their Red sponsors endorse VAR.

Pep, and his MCFC employees, now know that their aim of taking maximum points has been whipped away.

All is good in the world.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby zuricity » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:42 pm

blues2win wrote:The problem with the goal was the daft new handball rule. If a goal is scored direct off a hand its fair to ignore whether its accidental or not. Here the ball brushed Laporte who was impeded. Didnt even affect the balls trajectory. VAR simply ruled on the basks of the new law. How the wrestling over of Rodri wasnt a penalty god alone knows. We were very unlucky not to get the win. It was a very good team performance against one of the best teams in the League. We restricted then to you guessed it two chances. Ugh!

You write about VAR as if it is alive. What has to be questioned is how someone sitting in a room , remote and nowhere near the pitch can make such a coldhearted decision ("yeah it 'brushed' a hand ") , with no consideration to the context of the movement ) was Laporte deliberate with his hand ? was he being pushed ? if the latter then it cannot be ruled as a handball, rather a penalty for City anyway . Indeed , you can't penalise a goal ... oh wait , they just did .
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby blues2win » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:44 pm

Under the new rule it doesnt matter whether it was accidental or not. The new rule is absurd.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Beefymcfc » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:48 pm

blues2win wrote:Under the new rule it doesnt matter whether it was accidental or not. The new rule is absurd.

And we live with it but when we see both sides of the equation, against the same team, no wonder it makes you sceptical.

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby zuricity » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:50 pm

blues2win wrote:Under the new rule it doesnt matter whether it was accidental or not. The new rule is absurd.

Then the tossers that sat around for the four leagues, Fifa , Uefa and Prem league administrators need to be taken out and tarred and feathered . This is stupid , someone smacks a ball at you and you aren't even looking and it hits you on the arm just below your shoulder and you've just given away a penalty in the semi final of the CL and drawing 1-1 with two minutes to go ? Simply absurd.
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby FA cup winners 2006 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:51 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:

The rules need to be rewritten to take into account the use of VAR. The problem is that what is being revisited is subjective and ebpven those that are obvious are then being peddled as correct, which they are not.

It looks like the PL have spent the extra couple of years to work out how to manipulate the system rather than implementing it. Neville has already said he wasn't happy with the way it was to be implemented, and I totally agree with it.

I agree with you that VAR is subjective. Oliver should have been sent to the line to review the penalty in the first half and the disallowed goal. We should have got the penalty but with the new rule, I think the goal would have still been disallowed
FA cup winners 2006
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Nigels Tackle » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:51 pm

zuricity wrote:

Then the tossers that sat around for the four leagues, Fifa , Uefa and Prem league administrators need to be taken out and tarred and feathered . This is stupid , someone smacks a ball at you and you aren't even looking and it hits you on the arm just below your shoulder and you've just given away a penalty in the semi final of the CL and drawing 1-1 with two minutes to go ? Simply absurd.

it wouldn’t be a pen...
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby nottsblue » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:59 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:
zuricity wrote:

it wouldn’t be a pen...

Why?

Seemed as stonewall as you'll see
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Mase » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:59 pm

"Under the new law..." when you've watched Liverpool have linesmen put their flag up straight away when they've been told to keep to down (to benefit Liverpool) "under the new law.." means fuck all!!!!
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby zuricity » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:03 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:
zuricity wrote:

it wouldn’t be a pen...

you are wrong again !

it would be a penalty.
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby globalbollox » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:05 pm

Laporte was being held back by the arm by the defender, preventing him from getting away for the header. They've ignored that part altogether and jumped to the ball brushing his arm. So in fact it should have shown it was a penalty to us.
globalbollox
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Postby s1ty m » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:09 pm

Just got in. Didn't celebrate the 2nd goal because of VAR, just didn't know it would stand. Celebrated the winner only to have that decision. It'll destroy football and I've said so from the start. An appalling mess, a total disgrace and a complete travesty.
After the ball was centred, after the whistle blew...
s1ty m
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby blues2win » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:29 pm

The defender handled the ball as well. Apparently the new law doesnt cover that. If someone actually scores with his hand accidental or not chalk it off. This is ridiculous.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Beefymcfc » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:44 pm

FA cup winners 2006 wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:

I agree with you that VAR is subjective. Oliver should have been sent to the line to review the penalty in the first half and the disallowed goal. We should have got the penalty but with the new rule, I think the goal would have still been disallowed

So, is VAR acting correctly, or not?

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Bluemoon4610 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:44 pm

blues2win wrote:The defender handled the ball as well. Apparently the new law doesnt cover that. If someone actually scores with his hand accidental or not chalk it off. This is ridiculous.

Listened to a discussion on the radio on the way home from the game where they tried to explain the new law. Seems if it hits the arm of an attacker before the goal, even accidentally, that's handball, but if it's the defender it's not an infringement. So different rules for attack and defence in the same play.........absurd!
Bluemoon4610
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:46 pm

IFAB wording of the new rule^

Laporte never gained possession.
Last edited by Foreverinbluedreams on Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum