Raheem Sterling

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Raheem Sterling

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:07 pm

johnny crossan wrote:
Peter Doherty (AGAIG) wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:

Stepping stone eh? Not very encouraging to read this on the eve of the derby - in fact I'll go further - later

That quote is weeks old.
tomorrows's Fail on Sunday according to CW

Seems you were right, JC.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby johnny crossan » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:24 pm

johnny crossan wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:

Stepping stone eh? Not very encouraging to read this on the eve of the derby - in fact I'll go further - later

That quote is weeks old.

It's the delay in agreeing a new contract until after the WC that concerns me, looks like he's planning to run it down as is fashionable in some clubs. :(
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:59 pm

johnny crossan wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:

That quote is weeks old.

It's the delay in agreeing a new contract until after the WC that concerns me, looks like he's planning to run it down as is fashionable in some clubs. :(

We'll see. His star may be in the ascendancy after the World Cup and so he'd be in a great bargaining position with other clubs. He's replaceable but it would be nice if he stayed till his late 20s.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby phips » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:59 pm

or, he will resign but is betting on himself to have a good WC and thus get more money out of City.

plus, he has 2.5 yrs left. theres absolutely no reason he should be signing anything. a lot can happen in 2.5 yrs. we could sign Sanchez and he could find himself on the bench. Pep could get sacked after a complete nosedive. Something.
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby Sideshow Bob » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:05 pm

phips wrote:or, he will resign but is betting on himself to have a good WC and thus get more money out of City.

plus, he has 2.5 yrs left. theres absolutely no reason he should be signing anything. a lot can happen in 2.5 yrs. we could sign Sanchez and he could find himself on the bench. Pep could get sacked after a complete nosedive. Something.

Agreed. I fucking hate the fact that some players expect a new deal every 6 months now.
Sideshow Bob
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Jonny Evans

Postby Saul Goodman » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:38 pm

Raheem Sterling has long been prolific for Manchester City but now he's delivering for England, too. Nick Wright looks at how he put his international struggles behind him to become Gareth Southgate's most potent attacker following his latest goal in Saturday's win over Bulgaria.

In October of last year, after England had been held to a goalless draw by Croatia in the Nations League, Raheem Sterling's international barren run stood at 27 games. He had already become one of the Premier League's most lethal forwards at Manchester City, but with England it was a different story. It had been 1,810 minutes, across three years, since his last goal.

The pressure was mounting, especially with the emerging Jadon Sancho giving Gareth Southgate an exciting new option, but Sterling insisted the goals would come - "I'm sure of that," he said - and sure enough, 16 minutes into England's next game against Spain, he ended the sequence, crashing an emphatic finish past a helpless David de Gea.

Sterling has not looked back. He added what proved to be the winner that night in Seville, doubling his England tally for the previous six years in the space of 22 minutes, and his goal in Saturday's European Qualifier against Bulgaria made it seven from his last seven international appearances.

It comes down to a shift in focus. "When I was a bit younger, I wasn't too interested in scoring goals," Sterling said last year. "I was all about looking nice, or trying to look nice, and showing people I've got a lot of ability. Now I've started to realise no one remembers the nice stuff you do on the pitch, it's about your effectiveness and what you do for your team."

At Wembley on Saturday, he provided another perfect demonstration of how his priorities have changed. His England team-mates laboured at times, but Sterling served as a catalyst for almost every attack, beating Bulgaria players on both flanks and darting in behind at every opportunity.

It was his determination to make things happen that led to England's opener. As Bulgaria attempted to play their way out from the back, Sterling intercepted goalkeeper Plamen Iliev's pass, kept the ball in play and picked out the unmarked Harry Kane. Then, in the second half, he scored the kind of poacher's goal he scores on an almost weekly basis for his club.

Those two moments show how Sterling has narrowed his focus to the scoring and providing of goals, and so too does his touchmap. Not one of his 52 touches against Bulgaria came in his own half, while six came inside Bulgaria's penalty box - with two of them resulting in goals.

Sterling has learnt to maximise his strengths and Southgate could hardly be happier. The England manager lauded his "outstanding" performance in his press conference, saying his pressing in the lead-up to the opener set "absolutely the right tone" for the rest of the team and also touching on the change in mentality which has underpinned his transformation.

"He'll probably have the hump that he's only got one today because his mindset has shifted so much towards that desire to score, whereas two years ago when we were working with him, he was still a dangerous player, but he just didn't have that same desire to get into those areas and that ruthlessness in front of goal or that mindset of disappointment when he doesn't score.

"I'm delighted for him because he has for such a long time been an important part of our team and what we do. Now he's reaping the personal gain of the goals and the acknowledgement publicly that he should get."

Public opinion certainly seems to have shifted. During the World Cup, Southgate was forced to resist calls for Sterling to be dropped. His profligacy in front of goal was a major source of frustration to many fans and the criticism of his performances was fierce. On Saturday, however, he received a warm reception as he made way for Sancho in the second half.

Perhaps Sancho's emergence is another factor which has helped him. The teenager was excellent after replacing Sterling during that 0-0 draw with Croatia last October, but Sterling's response has been to become England's most consistent player. "It's great for him that he's taken his club form into international form," said Kane afterwards. "He's an amazing player."

Sterling's growing maturity is plain to see on the pitch and it is also apparent off it, where he has become a powerful voice in football's fight against racism. What's most encouraging for Southgate and England, though, is that, at 24, and with Pep Guardiola driving his improvement at Manchester City, there is still much more to come from him.

After three qualifying games, three wins and 14 goals scored - half of which Sterling has had a direct hand in - England already have one foot at Euro 2020 ahead of Tuesday's meeting with Kosovo. How far they go at next summer's tournament is likely to depend on a player whose 27-game scoreless streak is fast becoming a distant memory.
Saul Goodman
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bernardo Silva

Postby Mase » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:11 pm

He's stopped being booed and racially abused by 90% of the England fans. That's what has changed.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby johnny crossan » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:28 pm

phips wrote:or, he will resign but is betting on himself to have a good WC and thus get more money out of City.

only two posts down and look who's there? :lol:
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby PrezIke » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:21 am

Turning into the most reliable and best English player who is showing up when it matters and makes his teammates better.

All of the old critics have their tongues in such a twist they appear to have lost their ability to speak, are in a state of repentance, or still grasp at straws to rationalise their old claims.

I have to say he and Sancho together look like they should be the wide attacking players for England. If Sane goes I'd love to get Sancho to come back as the replacement.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby Mase » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:20 am

PrezIke wrote:I have to say he and Sancho together look like they should be the wide attacking players for England. If Sane goes I'd love to get Sancho to come back as the replacement.

Apparently he wants to come back to Manchester. Can't see Pep signing him though.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Mase » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:42 am

PrezIke wrote:All of the old critics have their tongues in such a twist they appear to have lost their ability to speak, are in a state of repentance, or still grasp at straws to rationalise their old claims.

Including a lot of City fans that didn't think we should pay him what he was asking for..
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Tokyo Blue » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:52 pm

Mase wrote:
PrezIke wrote:I have to say he and Sancho together look like they should be the wide attacking players for England. If Sane goes I'd love to get Sancho to come back as the replacement.

Apparently he wants to come back to Manchester. Can't see Pep signing him though.

I can.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Mase » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:27 pm

Tokyo Blue wrote:
Mase wrote:

I can.

Would love to be proven wrong mate.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby PrezIke » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:56 pm

Mase wrote:
Tokyo Blue wrote:
Mase wrote:

I can.

Why not? He didn't really leave on bad terms. He wanted to play more and that our pursuit of Sanchez was going to block his path into the team. I don't think any bridges were burned. We let him go and didn't fight it, or ask for an insane fee. Buyback clause might have said he was willing, and I know we weren't happy, but I don't see it as a bad breakup.

In this scenario he'd have a better chance of starting and getting games, and he and Sterling are clearly mates who also have strong chemistry on the pitch, it appears, so I don't see why he'd be against it or Pep who wants that with his players. Who wouldn't? No reported issues with him at Dortmund, as far as I've heard and all he's doing is improved.

Bonus is he'd also be club/home grown for CL and the PL so it would make our lives easier in terms of balancing out the squad or preventing us from buying lesser quality HG players. I do think this might increase the price, along with Utd's interest, so could see it going up to £120-130.

If we can't get Mbappe, who's probably a Madrid player anyway, he has to be the next target with Sane gone, so why not go all in for him, especially if he has another strong season or shows improvement. The risk is worth it to me.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby Mase » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:05 pm

PrezIke wrote:
Mase wrote:
Tokyo Blue wrote:
Mase wrote:

I can.

Why not? He didn't really leave on bad terms.

You know he refused to go on the tour and play don't you?
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby sheblue » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:52 am

Get him back.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby nottsblue » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:11 pm

One of six to be nominated for BBC SPOTY

Surely though, Stokes will get it?
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby salford city » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:14 am

nottsblue wrote:One of six to be nominated for BBC SPOTY

Stokes has to be odds-on to win this.
Back to Sterling, what is with the 'supposed' reluctance to sign a contract extension until he hears what Pep is going to do next? Says to me that he wants to play for Pep but not necessarily, City. I understand the affinity that he has for Pep who has undoubtedly made him into a better player but he's grown man who should
be able to perform to the best of his abilities regardless of who is in charge?
Your job is cleaning boots
salford city
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:28 am

salford city wrote:
nottsblue wrote:One of six to be nominated for BBC SPOTY

Stokes has to be odds-on to win this.
Back to Sterling, what is with the 'supposed' reluctance to sign a contract extension until he hears what Pep is going to do next? Says to me that he wants to play for Pep but not necessarily, City. I understand the affinity that he has for Pep who has undoubtedly made him into a better player but he's grown man who should
be able to perform to the best of his abilities regardless of who is in charge?

Some no mark in the Sun came up with that bollox, take it with a mine of salt.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby salford city » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:49 am

I didn't realise that was the source - I will stand down then
Your job is cleaning boots
salford city
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum