EDS/Academy Games

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: EDS/Academy Games

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:57 pm

Top class performance tonight despite a couple of blips. Really we were totally dominant against a decent WBA team. Their equaliser was a good goal although we shouldn't have given the guy the room for the shot.Their only other threat was when Harwood Bellis fell over to present a gift. Fairplay to him though as he got behind the keeper to clear off the line.

Their second goal was a gift from Tommy Doyle whoi had moved to the holding midfield role which he isnt used too and he dallied on the ball on the edge of the box and was robbed. All that aside and we are excellent.

Two goals from Ben Knight. Still 16 I think and another Bernado playing from the right wing. Converted a cross from the left as he times his run to the middle perfectly. And then got on the end of a wicked Doyle corner to glance a header home. He's about 4 foot 11!!

Pretty well every played played well. Touazi as center forward arguable the weakest player. Garcia and Harwood Bellis controlling the central defence. Frimpong good at left back and always a danger with his breaks forward. Bernabe had one of his best games on the left wing. Nmecha looked dangerous and scored a superb final goal to make the game safe. Took the ball on his chest and had the composure to let the ball fall enough to volley it into the corner. Great run and cross for that one from Ogundby who had come on as sub.

Doyle was really good , the cock up aside, and his goal quite typical. Got the ball just inside their half and drove straight at the box and smashed it past the keeper who didn't move a muscle. Maybe it moved a lot but he hit it so well.

MotM for me was Knight.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Nigels Tackle » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:03 am

doug - how does doyle rate vs foden?
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:11 am

Nigels Tackle wrote:doug - how does doyle rate vs foden?

Tough question as they are so different as players. We would all be surprised if Foden doesnt make it and I would also be surprised if Doyle doesnt make it. The 2 of them in the same team , wow that would be something for the future.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:20 pm

After watching the 18's win their semi 4.2 on Monday it was the EDS turn today against Everton and this time a 4 .3 win.

It was really the big against the beautiful. Everton as usual were a massive outfit and we definitely were not with the exception of our 2 center backs, Phillipe Sandler and the Mangler. Both only played 65 minutes during which time we had got to 3.1 up and looking good but with 10 minutes of them going off it was 3.3 and looking iffy.

Most interesting for me was that 7 of today's starting line up played in the under 18's team that won on Monday. On Saturday the 18's team went to Stoke and won and only 2 of that team started in the youth cup win.

Today's game started with a penalty for Everton in the first minute. Looked like a dive to me but thats probably blue tinted specs. We got ourselves going and started to threaten which prompted their manager to start effing and jeffin at his team. But we scored from a corner brilliantly whipped in by Doyle and headed in by Garcia.

The next goal was another fierce cross from Doyle getting to byline on the right.Low this time which the keeper got to but only knocked in out tamely for Bernabe to score. 3.1 was a goal from Poveda , playing as center forward today and it was an excellent strike from the edge of the box.

2 goals from Everton made it 3.3 as I said but Frimpong got what was the winner coming in at the back post when a great break saw Bernabe cross.Frimpong smashed it into the roof of the net from very close in. A little tense towards the end but we held on even though they brought on even bigger players.

So we had loads of under 18's and also notably plenty playing out of position. Garcia as right back , Frimpong right side in front of him. Poveda centarl not wide which is his best position. Bernabe inside left with Nmecha outside him when for me they should be the other way around. All good learning I am sure and overall a good team effort and a great important 3 points
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:58 pm

18's again against Utd and sadly behind closed doors again as City dont seem to be able to get their act together to play it in the stadium as it should be. Really annoying game to as the referee was garbage as they so often are!

There were two key incidents.One where Sammy Robinson our left got in a tussle with one of theirs. Graabing shirts , looking threatening towards each other but really handbags. Their number 7 came from behind Robinson and clouted him ( maybe even a head into the back of Robinson and from there it all broke out.

Most of both teams were involved and so much went on without any actual punches being thrown or at least I didnt see any. Players had others by the throat. Their number 7 on at least 2 City players and all the ref did in the end was send Robinson off which was quite surreal! A couple of reds got booked. A total nonsense.

Then later their left back, who was constantly diving when struggling on the ball, got forward once just outside the box and dived again and amazingly the ref gave a pen. Looked outside to me but the ref seemed to like him.That was their equalizer. 2.2

Even with 10 men City created more chances but couldnt quite get another. Utd did have more of the ball second half against 10 men and did force Moulden into a couple of good saves but overall with my blue specs on I thought we were the better side.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Plain Speaking » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:38 am

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:18's again against Utd and sadly behind closed doors again as City dont seem to be able to get their act together to play it in the stadium as it should be. Really annoying game to as the referee was garbage as they so often are!

There were two key incidents.One where Sammy Robinson our left got in a tussle with one of theirs. Graabing shirts , looking threatening towards each other but really handbags. Their number 7 came from behind Robinson and clouted him ( maybe even a head into the back of Robinson and from there it all broke out.

Most of both teams were involved and so much went on without any actual punches being thrown or at least I didnt see any. Players had others by the throat. Their number 7 on at least 2 City players and all the ref did in the end was send Robinson off which was quite surreal! A couple of reds got booked. A total nonsense.

Then later their left back, who was constantly diving when struggling on the ball, got forward once just outside the box and dived again and amazingly the ref gave a pen. Looked outside to me but the ref seemed to like him.That was their equalizer. 2.2

Even with 10 men City created more chances but couldnt quite get another. Utd did have more of the ball second half against 10 men and did force Moulden into a couple of good saves but overall with my blue specs on I thought we were the better side.

I hope the club have recorded the match to help Robinson with what sounds like a totally unjustified red card. Thanks for your report again Doug it's great to hear about the youngsters!
Plain Speaking
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Mase » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:17 pm

Who's this Iancarlo kid? Decent?
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby nottsblue » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:33 pm

Beating the dippers 1-0 at half time in the FA Youth Cup Final. Nicely taken goal
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby gmercer1 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:31 pm

1-1
gmercer1
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Aguero

Postby dazby » Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:12 am

Something that may be of interest to you. I have a mate who went over and visited some clubs to learn how to do things better here. He visited four academies: Tottenham, West Brom, Dippers and Newcastle.

Here's the budgets of the clubs the tf they dedicated to their youth academies:

Dippers 43 mill per year
Tottingham 38 mill
West Brom 34 mill
Newcastle 3 mill.

The Geordies were doing bare minimum. Haha
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:44 pm

City 18's 7 Newcatstle 1. Here's a report I nicked from Twosips.

They were fantastic. Really exciting group of players. Could name basically all of em as standouts. Really, really liked the centreback pairing of Finley Burns and CJ Egan-Riley. Both powerful, both very good with the ball. New left-back from West Ham, Josh Wilson-Esbrand, was a real threat throughout. Many have heard of Joe Hodge by now, but he once again was excellent. Only small, but a great passer and an absolute terrier off the ball. Won it back so many times. Cole Palmer was taking the piss at the end. Got loads of assists and a goal, and he reminded me of Nasri technically. Couldn't get the ball off him at all and had a really natural dribbling ability. Glided past players.

McAtee is an excellent finisher (grabbed the match ball in the end) and a very silky midfielder too. Foden comparisons make sense. Oscar Bobb had a really, really impressive cameo. Ultra-composed and was very encouraging in that inside left position that David Silva picks up so well. Can't help but impressed by the new guy up front too - Liam Delap. He's big, he's strong and he's very direct. Runs past people frequently and he'll score an absolute tonne. Genuinely a complete striker. Fiorini and Robinson had good games too. Shauny's lad was the only real let down for me. He was fine, but we seemed a lot less threatening down his side than we did the left.

All in all, it could have been ten very easily. Absolutely huge gulf in class and it seems the 18s have a very strong squad. I suspect they'll go far in all the comps they're in this year! Like this new crop a lot.

Probably getting a little carried away as Newcastle weren't very good but it was a fun watch and there is plenty of talent there. I would add a little re Oscar Bobb. There was just something about his brief performance that made me sit up and take notice. Could be a star so hopefully I will see plenty more him to find out.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:27 pm

I’m avoiding the crowd tonight and watching the EDS at Rochdale in the Leasing.com Cup (formerly Checkatrade).
Hutch's Shoulder

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:42 pm

EDS deservedly 1-0 up at HT through Braaf who also hit the post when he should have scored.
Hutch's Shoulder

Postby nottsblue » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:04 pm

Hutch's Shoulder wrote:EDS deservedly 1-0 up at HT through Braaf who also hit the post when he should have scored.

2-0 now. Be great if the young uns can get to Wembley
nottsblue

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:39 pm

2-0 it finished .
Hutch's Shoulder

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:12 pm

EDS were pretty average today in losing to Wolves but sadly again the keeper, Bazuna ( hope I got that right) had a mare in giving away the Wolves equalizer.

I think it was against Southampton he took too long with a clearance and the forward closed him down and blocked it into the net. Today he just passed straight to a Wolves player on the edge of the box and central and he just took a touch and smashed it home. A massive downer for the team who were playing ok ish.

Apart from that though our main problem was no center forward (Ben Knight played in that role and he's more like Bernado so not suited to it) Plus Garre on the right wing and he just constantly flatters to deceive and it seemed to me frustrate his captain Doyle by messing up with his final ball.

Very frustrating to watch them too.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby blues2win » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:54 am

MEN raving about Braaf’s performance today against Shaktar. Saw the U tube compilation and he’s got explosive pace and extremely good dribbling ability. Only 16 but could he be a successor to Sane if he leaves? Can play on either wing. Any view Doug?
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

My favourite player is: david silva

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:03 am

blues2win wrote:MEN raving about Braaf’s performance today against Shaktar. Saw the U tube compilation and he’s got explosive pace and extremely good dribbling ability. Only 16 but could he be a successor to Sane if he leaves? Can play on either wing. Any view Doug?

When I first saw him play i wasn't overwhelmed because i thought he was all flash and no substance. Explosive describes him well but he seemed to make bad decisions and was all about glory but latterly he seems to have changed that and is much more about doing it for the team.

A real talent as you say with good pace and great dribbling ability and scores goals with both feet. Not as good as Sancho with his dribbling but similar confidence in his talent. Big and strong too. One to watch for sure
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby blues2win » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:14 am

He’s only 16 so he can improve a lot. He has loads of raw ability and you cant coach that into a player. As one Manager once said “ You cant put in what God left out”.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

My favourite player is: david silva

Postby nottsblue » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:02 pm

Tommy Doyle puts the under 21s 2-1 ip away at Bradford
nottsblue

PreviousNext