EDS/Academy Games

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: EDS/Academy Games

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:27 pm

nottsblue wrote:Tommy Doyle puts the under 21s 2-1 ip away at Bradford

Two wins out of two in the Leasing.com trophy.
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:02 pm

Hutch's Shoulder wrote:
nottsblue wrote:Tommy Doyle puts the under 21s 2-1 ip away at Bradford

Two wins out of two in the Leasing.com trophy.

Excellent win too. Without anything like the normal center back partnershipp as two were at Preston and one away on loan.

Will get to watch the EDS away v Everton tomorrow to see if they can find some form in the league. 2nd bottom in the league so far and not playing well at all.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:40 pm

2.2 away at Everton isnt a bad result on the face of it but we really should have won. 1 up at half time and 2 up shortly after before allowing Everton to claw it back.

For the first 20 or so minutes we gave Everton a lesson. Playing good stuff in the City way we dominated the ball and when it got to Rogers and Poveda on the wings we looked a real threat. One attack saw Rogers brought down for a pen as he cut inside. Doyle scored well. Everton woke up a bit and started pressing more and started to get at us and it was helpedby us looking shaky playing round the back as they pressed more. Not too many alarms though and 1 nil at half time.

I reckoned Everton had been given a rollicking at half time and came out more determined and aggressive but we scored again with an excellent break with a well taken goal by Touazi. We did have a good number of excellent breaks but didnt get the final part right but at the other end we were getting exposed a little too easily at time.

One occasion brought them a free kick on the edge of the box given away by McDonald as I think he had to as the ball had been knocked past him.That free kick flew into the top corner. At no time did we remotely shut up shop, plenty of breaks by us but still times where they got at us too easily and often but just lumping it forward to big guys who almost always held it up.

The trouble is we didnt have the right set up to handle them when that happened and the 2nd goal came from that. 2 of our players converged on their number 9. Good pressing? Not if they allow him to turn through and find the way to the edge of the box with nobody to get past. From there he hit a great shot which hit the bar bounced down to find their guy totally alone to head in.

Strange that from there to the end , including 7 minutes of injury time ( not a clue why so much) we were much the more threatening. Despite all this I find it hard to simply blame the defenders as I feel the team, midfield and wide players , just dont seem to do enough.

Wheter thats down to the manager or the players being rubbish at it I don't know. I cant honesly remember Poveda or Rogers getting back to help at all. If they did it wasnt often. Pozo I like as a holing midfield player but some how Bernabe and Doyle, despite always working hard, just dont seem to get it right. Trying to nick balls rather than being on the right side in good defensive positions and winning challenges but at least stopping attackers having easy possession and making things happen.

Doyle had a rare off night and was substituted, Touazi , his goal apart was disapoointing. His work to stop the central defenders playing the ball forward or carrying it was basically no existent. So a draw isnt too bad but we need some wins as relegation is a real possibility
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:23 pm

Bottom of the league still after defeat today at home against Brighton!

It's getting more difficult by the day to work out how we keep failing in this league this season when in pretty well all the games I have seen we are much the better side. Today was no exception as we were miles better than Brighton yet failed to score a goal and then got sucker punched in the second half by ex City player Taylor Richards.

Brighton hardly attacked all game and we had loads of great situations even if we didnt force their keeper into too many serious saves. It can't help that we don't really have a worthwhile center forward. Touazi did play today but it really does seem his game has gone backwards.

Braaf looked very threatening from the left , Poveda a few times from the right but somehow a goal didnt seem too likely. After they scored we didn't have enough drive and desire although Bellis did hit the underside of the bar with a header.

Those who follow the team more than I do put the entire blame at the manager's door. Harsley out is the call and has been for sometime. I thought Davies was dire but this guy is getting worse results with a good team. Something has to happen and I can only hope it's a change in results as we don't want relegating to the second tier of EDS football where Utd are.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby blues2win » Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:00 pm

Jayden Braaf scores another cracker in the Youth Cup. A fine prospect.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:47 am

blues2win wrote:Jayden Braaf scores another cracker in the Youth Cup. A fine prospect.

He certainly is and I am glad to see he got rid of his bleached blonde hair!! After coming back from playing for Holland that seemed to have brought a quiet run of form.

For a right footed player his does love to cut in from the right and smash shots with his left and he was the one player who frightened Swansea with his pace and direct attacking if he was given any space at all. Rogers on the other side just doesn't provide the same threat but I am sure there is another real prospect in there somewhere
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:09 pm

EDS at Scunthorpe in the Leasing.com trophy tonight (ex-Checkatrade trophy). Doyle and Harwood-Bellis in the team, but a goal behind at the moment
Hutch's Shoulder

Postby nottsblue » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:45 pm

Hutch's Shoulder wrote:EDS at Scunthorpe in the Leasing.com trophy tonight (ex-Checkatrade trophy). Doyle and Harwood-Bellis in the team, but a goal behind at the moment

3-0 at half time
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:21 pm

nottsblue wrote:
Hutch's Shoulder wrote:EDS at Scunthorpe in the Leasing.com trophy tonight (ex-Checkatrade trophy). Doyle and Harwood-Bellis in the team, but a goal behind at the moment

3-0 at half time

3-1, Doyle from the spot, but too late I think
Hutch's Shoulder

Postby blues2win » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:04 pm

City 2 Villa 1 in the FA Youth Cup. Cheeseman very enthusiastic about the performance. Home to Fulham in the last 16. Harwood Bellis off after 70 with a possible hamstring.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:33 pm

Beat Everton 4.1 tonight and Jadon Braaf was just a wow. 2 goals and an assist and was sensational almost whenever he got the ball.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby blues2win » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:14 pm

He does look like a possible replacement for Sane but I’m probably getting carried away.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:55 pm

blues2win wrote:He does look like a possible replacement for Sane but I’m probably getting carried away.

Yep no point in getting carried away. Not as clever/cute on the ball as Sancho but arguably more dynamic and direct but certainly a real talent. A similarity with Sancho does seem to be his belief that he should be first team sooner rather than later.

My hope is he does go on the pre season tour and stands out and forces his way into the squad.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby PeterParker » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:49 pm

How is that kid Bernabe, Bernabeu, something. Is he anygood?
He made some interesting cameos in our first eleven last season.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby blues2win » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:21 pm

He must go on the pre season tour surely. Opportunity for Pep to have a good look at him.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby blues2win » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:56 pm

City 1 Fulham 0. Apparently not a vintage performance but through to the quarter finals of the Youth Cup
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby blues2win » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:12 pm

Home to Burnley in the quarter finals.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:39 pm

blues2win wrote:City 1 Fulham 0. Apparently not a vintage performance but through to the quarter finals of the Youth Cup

Definitely not a vintage but we were worthy winners I thought. Good early goal from Fiorini and it looked like we would score again but Braaf was having one of those nights. Looked very dangerous but somehow either slipped or lost control at the last moment. Rogers at center forward and Knight on the right side were contributing very little.

Fulham are top of the south division as we are in the north and they did play some decent football but lacked something in the last third. Even though I was told they had a serious goalscorer at number 9 who has 20+ this season.

Like us they had at least half the team playing in this game who regularly play at under 23 level rather than under 18's. Not 100% sure it really helps although Doyle was pretty good tonight.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:07 pm

Really windy conditions today for the 18's away at LPool in a crunch top of the table game.But at least no rain as they had away at Reading last week but 2 wins in a row and 9 goals scored is an excellent effort.
Liam Delap is a serious prospect and showed it early with his fantastic run and goal to set the game up perfectly. I would say he was 2nd best for the ball close to the half way line but his speed and power brushed him past their center back and as he bore down on goal their keeper gave hin a good sight of the far corner and in it went.

We were with the wind first half and it probably gave us a slight advantage as Pool werent always able to clear easily but as we play the ball on the ground all the time the wind effect for attacking was minimal. The one thing we didn't do was make use of the wind for corners. We had enough but Palmer couldnt get them into the right area.

Our 2nd goal came when Hodge found a good pocket for a through ball to beat their press , then to Palmer and Edozie who scored off the underside of the bar.They had moments , one crucial block by Egan Riley plus the ref spotting a hand ball when they thought they had equalized.

Then into the wind and with us playing the ball around at the back LPool really pressed high and even when we tried hoofing it the ball came back so plenty of pressure. Or 3rd was a superb break away started by Delap to Palmer to Edozie and then across to McAtee to sweep in. I had hoped that was it but LPool scored when we failed to get he ball away and it was smashed in from 18 yards.

Then some good play by their 10 and it was 3.2 and the worries were there. The game had become quite feisty too with tackles flying in and players on both sides crowding the ref for decisions. Not 100% sure who was booked for us but I think Palmer, McAtee , probably Delap who are key attacking players so it shows what was going on. The final goal from Palmer was nice. Quick free kick got him free in the box , he took it round the keeper and that was that.

A very good team effort as i said in terrible conditions. The pitch used is wide open to the elements and some of the windy gusts were strong. Plenty of good individual performances but overall a team effort.

Taylor Harwood Bellis taken off with maye 25 minutes left. I assume that was planned but he got good game time before the cup final coming soon. Delap was also taken off early. He did get a bit of an injury just before half time but it could also have been so he didn't get a red card ! He's a feisty player playing in a feisty game so probably a good decision.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby craigmcfc » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:24 pm

Currently 6 nil to the Under 18s in the final of the Premier League Cup v Stoke
craigmcfc
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Sergio Aguero

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum