finishing 2020/21 (behind closed doors edition)

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: finishing 2018/19

Postby Nigels Tackle » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:29 pm

Original Dub wrote:
Pretty Boy Lee wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:
Pretty Boy Lee wrote:Knee jerk thread. Same position as last year after 3 games and we hit the post several times. You can’t score 5 every game, these days happen. They did last year and we smashed records.


i raised the same fucking point last week when we scored 6 but missed another 5 glorious chances


And it was even dumber then.


:lol:


where is the irish prick these days? be nice if he came on here and admitted he was wrong.....
SURREY'S FINEST
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes
 
Posts: 15266
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:57 pm
Location: here, there, every fucking where
Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Re: finishing 2019/20

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:16 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:
Original Dub wrote:
Pretty Boy Lee wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:
Pretty Boy Lee wrote:Knee jerk thread. Same position as last year after 3 games and we hit the post several times. You can’t score 5 every game, these days happen. They did last year and we smashed records.


i raised the same fucking point last week when we scored 6 but missed another 5 glorious chances


And it was even dumber then.


:lol:


where is the irish prick these days? be nice if he came on here and admitted he was wrong.....


He wasn't, at the time our finishing was fine.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Tueart's Overhead
 
Posts: 8963
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:34 pm
Supporter of: Euthanasia

Re: finishing 2019/20

Postby Nigels Tackle » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:14 pm

no it wasn’t. we still missed far too many ‘easy’ chances. it was always going to catch up with us but i was ridiculed for pointing it out.

some stats on this season for you...

This season the reigning champions have compiled an astonishing 317 shots at goal in the Premier League that dwarfs Liverpool’s 154. But while Salah and co have a clinical 39% success ratio from their tally City’s languishes at nearly half that on 20.5%.
SURREY'S FINEST
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes
 
Posts: 15266
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:57 pm
Location: here, there, every fucking where
Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Re: finishing 2019/20

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:20 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:no it wasn’t. we still missed far too many ‘easy’ chances. it was always going to catch up with us but i was ridiculed for pointing it out.

some stats on this season for you...

This season the reigning champions have compiled an astonishing 317 shots at goal in the Premier League that dwarfs Liverpool’s 154. But while Salah and co have a clinical 39% success ratio from their tally City’s languishes at nearly half that on 20.5%.


Stats

17/18 highest conversion rate in league
18/19 3rd highest conversion rate in league
19/20 11th highest conversion rate in league

What date was on OD's post?
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Tueart's Overhead
 
Posts: 8963
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:34 pm
Supporter of: Euthanasia

Re: finishing 2019/20

Postby Nigels Tackle » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:42 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:no it wasn’t. we still missed far too many ‘easy’ chances. it was always going to catch up with us but i was ridiculed for pointing it out.

some stats on this season for you...

This season the reigning champions have compiled an astonishing 317 shots at goal in the Premier League that dwarfs Liverpool’s 154. But while Salah and co have a clinical 39% success ratio from their tally City’s languishes at nearly half that on 20.5%.


Stats

17/18 highest conversion rate in league
18/19 3rd highest conversion rate in league
19/20 11th highest conversion rate in league

What date was on OD's post?


our chance conversion rate is pretty much exactly the same as over the past 3 seasons:
2017/18 - 20.8%
2018/19 - 19.4%
2019/20 - 20.4%

source: https://www.transfermarkt.us/premier-le ... on_id/2019

not good enough now. not good enough then. for a team of our quality. liverpool proving that point now with a near 40% conversion rate.

waiting eagerly for you and spazby to respond.
SURREY'S FINEST
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes
 
Posts: 15266
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:57 pm
Location: here, there, every fucking where
Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Re: finishing 2019/20

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:51 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:
Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:no it wasn’t. we still missed far too many ‘easy’ chances. it was always going to catch up with us but i was ridiculed for pointing it out.

some stats on this season for you...

This season the reigning champions have compiled an astonishing 317 shots at goal in the Premier League that dwarfs Liverpool’s 154. But while Salah and co have a clinical 39% success ratio from their tally City’s languishes at nearly half that on 20.5%.


Stats

17/18 highest conversion rate in league
18/19 3rd highest conversion rate in league
19/20 11th highest conversion rate in league

What date was on OD's post?


our chance conversion rate is pretty much exactly the same as over the past 3 seasons:
2017/18 - 20.8%
2018/19 - 19.4%
2019/20 - 20.4%

source: https://www.transfermarkt.us/premier-le ... on_id/2019

not good enough now. not good enough then. for a team of our quality. liverpool proving that point now with a near 40% conversion rate.

waiting eagerly for you and spazby to respond.


Liverpool are an aberration this season mate, you only need to look at the figures in them tables to realise that.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Tueart's Overhead
 
Posts: 8963
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:34 pm
Supporter of: Euthanasia

Re: finishing 2019/20

Postby Sideshow Bob » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:01 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:
Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:no it wasn’t. we still missed far too many ‘easy’ chances. it was always going to catch up with us but i was ridiculed for pointing it out.

some stats on this season for you...

This season the reigning champions have compiled an astonishing 317 shots at goal in the Premier League that dwarfs Liverpool’s 154. But while Salah and co have a clinical 39% success ratio from their tally City’s languishes at nearly half that on 20.5%.


Stats

17/18 highest conversion rate in league
18/19 3rd highest conversion rate in league
19/20 11th highest conversion rate in league

What date was on OD's post?


our chance conversion rate is pretty much exactly the same as over the past 3 seasons:
2017/18 - 20.8%
2018/19 - 19.4%
2019/20 - 20.4%

source: https://www.transfermarkt.us/premier-le ... on_id/2019

not good enough now. not good enough then. for a team of our quality. liverpool proving that point now with a near 40% conversion rate.

waiting eagerly for you and spazby to respond.


wow. 40% for dippers v 20% for us. says it all, really.
Sideshow Bob
David Silva's Silky Skills
 
Posts: 6627
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:19 am
Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Jonny Evans

Re: finishing 2019/20

Postby Dameerto » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:35 pm

nottsblue wrote:Haaland at Dortmund has had seven shots in 136 minutes on the field.

He has seven goals. Just sayin

I agree with you but Haaland did his research and chose Dortmund for his own reasons (bearing in mind how young he is, and their reputation for playing and developing young talent). He also has a £63m release clause in his contract which he is supposed to have insisted on... just saying, the door isn't shut.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
User avatar
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games
 
Posts: 17784
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:08 pm
Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Re: finishing 2019/20

Postby Mase » Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:28 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:
Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:no it wasn’t. we still missed far too many ‘easy’ chances. it was always going to catch up with us but i was ridiculed for pointing it out.

some stats on this season for you...

This season the reigning champions have compiled an astonishing 317 shots at goal in the Premier League that dwarfs Liverpool’s 154. But while Salah and co have a clinical 39% success ratio from their tally City’s languishes at nearly half that on 20.5%.


Stats

17/18 highest conversion rate in league
18/19 3rd highest conversion rate in league
19/20 11th highest conversion rate in league

What date was on OD's post?


our chance conversion rate is pretty much exactly the same as over the past 3 seasons:
2017/18 - 20.8%
2018/19 - 19.4%
2019/20 - 20.4%

source: https://www.transfermarkt.us/premier-le ... on_id/2019

not good enough now. not good enough then. for a team of our quality. liverpool proving that point now with a near 40% conversion rate.

waiting eagerly for you and spazby to respond.


Can’t argue with that.
Mase
Colin Bell's Football Brain
 
Posts: 26079
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:08 pm
Location: The North Pole.
Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Re: finishing 2019/20

Postby carolina-blue » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:43 pm

Our finishing is woeful it just is you can’t hide from
It . And the pressure must be at boiling point in the camp as they must be talking about it all the time
Missed pens 6 yard out missed open nets ,
But I wonder if they feel any extra pressure to put the ball in the net knowing the defense is gonna fuck up and the oppo are gonna score with their first shot on goal .
carolina-blue
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles
 
Posts: 2424
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:55 pm

Re: finishing 2019/20

Postby nottsblue » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:08 pm

And this is when we haven't the pressure of a PL title race
nottsblue
Joe Mercer's OBE
 
Posts: 19855
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:17 pm
Location: Nottingham
Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Re: finishing 2019/20

Postby BlueinBosnia » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:21 pm

Dipper mate sent me this. Is it true?
Spurs have had 6 shots vs Man City this season and scored 4 times. City have had 46 vs spurs and scored 2.
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
User avatar
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel
 
Posts: 9650
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:43 pm
Location: Sarajevo, BiH
Supporter of: Team Bridge

Re: finishing 2019/20

Postby nottsblue » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:44 pm

Manchester City will no doubt be glad to see the back of Tottenham for a while.

Not only did they end their Champions League hopes last season but they have also played a significant role in preventing them from being a little closer to Liverpool in the title race.

Manchester City have now dropped five points against Spurs, despite having considerably more shots than their opponents.

The two sides drew 2-2 back in August with Tottenham scoring with their only two shots on target.

Manchester City's expected goals (xG) total that day (3.0) was 2.78 more than Tottenham Hotspur's (0.22) - the biggest positive xG differential by a Premier League team without winning since Crystal Palace when drawing with Bournemouth (+3.44) in December 2017.

And, somewhat apt given it was Groundhog Day, it was deja vu for Pep Guardiola on Sunday as he watched his side pepper the Tottenham goal with shots only for Spurs to score with two of their three shots on target.

Just how costly Manchester City's failure to convert their chances this season is clear to see when you look at the below table.

In a list of the five games featuring the biggest positive xG differential by a Premier League team without winning, City are involved in four of them.

Date Team Opponent Expected goals Expected goals against xG difference
17/08/19 Manchester City Tottenham 2.97 0.13 2.84
21/01/20 Chelsea Arsenal 2.93 0.39 2.54
02/02/20 Manchester City Tottenham 2.83 0.31 2.52
18/01/20 Manchester City Crystal Palace 2.77 0.37 2.40
30/11/19 Manchester City Newcastle 2.44 0.27 2.17
nottsblue
Joe Mercer's OBE
 
Posts: 19855
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:17 pm
Location: Nottingham
Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Re: finishing 2019/20

Postby nottsblue » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:45 pm

BlueinBosnia wrote:Dipper mate sent me this. Is it true?
Spurs have had 6 shots vs Man City this season and scored 4 times. City have had 46 vs spurs and scored 2.

Believe so. Posted as much in the Match Thread. After 70 minutes it was 44 shots
nottsblue
Joe Mercer's OBE
 
Posts: 19855
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:17 pm
Location: Nottingham
Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Re: finishing 2019/20

Postby Blue In Bolton » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:41 pm

nottsblue wrote:Manchester City will no doubt be glad to see the back of Tottenham for a while.


I'm not. I hope we get them in the FA Cup and give them the doing that they richly deserve.
Blue In Bolton
Richard Dunne's Own Goals
 
Posts: 929
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:59 pm
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David White

Re: finishing 2019/20

Postby budfox » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:27 pm

But...

City get perhaps five or six good chances to score in a game, with that conversion rate we score one goal. Fans say "We missed five good chances".

Compare to a shitty side, with perhaps one chance per game, maybe two. The fans barely expect them to score, they don't count a whole bunch of missed chances because they don't get a whole bunch of chances anyway.

In other words, missed chances are far more obvious when they are abundant. (In my opinion).
When I go to my grave, I shall go with content. I shall go in the knowledge that every rag fan's nightmare ends with a single word: "Aguerrrrroooooo...."
User avatar
budfox
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle
 
Posts: 1719
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:19 pm
Location: Somerset
Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: The Brown

Re: finishing 2019/20

Postby Wooders » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:08 pm

budfox wrote:But...

City get perhaps five or six good chances to score in a game, with that conversion rate we score one goal. Fans say "We missed five good chances".

Compare to a shitty side, with perhaps one chance per game, maybe two. The fans barely expect them to score, they don't count a whole bunch of missed chances because they don't get a whole bunch of chances anyway.

In other words, missed chances are far more obvious when they are abundant. (In my opinion).


So you’re saying that more missed chances per game makes it seem like it happens more than when there are less? Great analysis there Geoff
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes
 
Posts: 15291
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:55 pm
Location: UK
Supporter of: City

Re: finishing 2019/20

Postby zuricity » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:21 pm

Ings has just finished a brilliantly created chance by Redmond to put the Saints 2-1 up at Spuds.

What's that awful version of the song the spuds sing about slowly marching in ?
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Bert Trautmann's Neck
 
Posts: 12767
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:54 pm
Location: Zuerich,ch

Re: finishing 2019/20

Postby Mase » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:39 pm

zuricity wrote:Ings has just finished a brilliantly created chance by Redmond to put the Saints 2-1 up at Spuds.

What's that awful version of the song the spuds sing about slowly marching in ?


I believe they sang it when going to find Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane.
Mase
Colin Bell's Football Brain
 
Posts: 26079
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:08 pm
Location: The North Pole.
Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Re: finishing 2019/20

Postby zuricity » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:44 pm

Mase wrote:
zuricity wrote:Ings has just finished a brilliantly created chance by Redmond to put the Saints 2-1 up at Spuds.

What's that awful version of the song the spuds sing about slowly marching in ?


I believe they sang it when going to find Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane.


Ah! "I know what i like ( in your wardrobe)" ?
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Bert Trautmann's Neck
 
Posts: 12767
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:54 pm
Location: Zuerich,ch

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: belleebee, Bing [Bot], Hazy2, Majestic-12 [Bot], PeterParker, RodneyRodney, salford city and 45 guests